Started working on some of the black areas today. I started off with the dinosaur between the flippers.
This is a challenging area because there are no real good lines to separate the paint and it is too detailed to cut a full mask. I am not really a true artist so I don't really want to paint it solid black and then hand paint all the "texture". I decided to just paint the worn area and blend the best I can. This might work because black is the easiest color to do this with.
First attempt at black. I thought it was going to be a good match because I used it to hand paint some details earlier and it blended perfectly. I guess when your hand painting and blending, you tend to put the paint on thinner so its "full" color doesn't come through.
I don't have an after picture but when I took the mask off, it was obvious is was too dark. It was jet black and when I put Naphtha on it, it still stuck out like a sore thumb so I took the paint off. I worked mixing a couple drops of white with it to knock the edge off and I got a really good match. Here is the second attempt, you can see that it is not a jet black as the above picture.
Here is the finished product. I took a paint brush and did some blending on the edges. You can still see the patch in the picture but remember the surrounding area is sanded which makes it appear washed out.
Putting Naphtha on gives you what it will look like when cleared. I tried to capture this by swiping it with Naphtha in one hand and taking a picture in the other. It blends very well and the only reason you see it is because the white lines are not carried into the center black area. After I clear, I will take a needle and make some white lines into the center area to finish off the detail. If I am not happy then I will get a scan from my buddy and just make a new decal for the entire dinosaur.
You can also see from the picture that there is a green leave with a small gouge out of it that I had not noticed until I was working closely with this area. I will have to address this area.
Next was the upper right arrow insert that I had to scrape off due to ghosting.
On inserts, I use a light under the playfield to make sure I get good coverage on the paint to block out the light.
Finished and the vinyl text will be put in before I clear.
Next was the two big red arrows in the center. The left one I had to cut out due to ghosting and the right one just looked like crap.
couldn't get the light to show on the left much but the right one had enough showing to give me guidance since I will paint them the same.
Nice and sharp.
Crap Crap Crap. I thought I had all the inserts done.