Lots going on today. My goal was to get the fluorescent orange painted. It was the most complicated color to paint so I wanted to knock it out. Here is a shot of the playfield before the paint. All the orange is faded badly. In a previous post I showed the area under the upper flipper that shows the original color. You can also see it in the picture below.
I will say that these colored dots are from the devil.
They make the painting more complicated. I was not able to mask every one of them so some will have to be added back later.
Ready to paint.
The fluorescent paint has its pros and cons. The pro is that it is a transparent paint. This allows it to darken the area but also allows the red halftones to show through so I will not have to redo those. The con is that it is transparent so it wont cover anything up.
Because of this, any dark areas will show through. So the insert ring cracks and the wear area on the shooter lane have to be fixed. I had to paint both areas white to make the base uniform before applying the orange.
Can anyone see the area I forgot to paint white? I remembered as soon as I shot the first layer of orange. The scoop area that was repaired extended into the orange so it has to be painted white as well.
I covered the spot that was under the upper flipper so I could use it for a reference to match the color I was painting.
After a few coats it was a pretty good match.
Since the area under the flippers was probably still a little faded, I shot a couple more coats to finish it off and blend everything.
Now the fun part of taking all the masks off. I think I did to much at once on this one. It took me a while to get all the masks on and everything covered. This caused the masks to be stuck more than I like by the time I was done. Next time I will not do this much at one time. Here is the playfield with all the masks removed.
As a note, the camera does not really pick up the true color of the orange. It is much more vibrant than the pictures show.
Here is where the day that was going so well, took a bit of a turn. As with any restoration, things pop up from time to time and you just have to roll with it. At this point in the process, I had not noticed the problem yet. Some of you detail types may have seen it in the previous picture. Here are a few shots of the orange areas up close (along with the problem).
Insert ring and Smart missile ring.
Left lane. Remember how it was faded under the mylar?
Shooter lane, dino scales and the shirt in the Explorer.
Center lane. Mr. Hammond is much more visible with the background orange instead of washed out yellow. All the flames and details are back. And the red halftones are still present (The camera is not picking them up very well but they are there and look great)
Well, If you haven't noticed it by now, the left pointing jackpot arrow is ghosting on the tip. You can tell by the pics that the ghosting was not present in the picture of the payfiled painted with all the masks on. I was very careful taking the masks off and I even remember taking the mask off that arrow and there was nothing there. Sometime between the time I took the mask off and took that overview picture of the playfield, the insert delaminated. You can tell by the picture that the delamination occurred between the plastic insert and the factory clear. You can tell because the black insert line is perfect and that was screened over the plastic.
The best option was to cut the clear off the entire insert. The top area came off really easy so there was definitely a problem from the factory. I just hope it is isolated to this one insert. The lower part was stuck better which makes me feel better. You can see in the following picture that I trimmed into the wood area on the bottom of the insert and the clear was very hard to remove from that area so the clear is adhering to the playfield very well.
It stinks that this happened but it can be fixed and I am glad it happened now instead of after it was finished. I do not want to risk messing up any of the orange paint so I am going to clear again before I do any more work to the playfield. I have done several colors and its time to seal them in. My target is to clear on Monday.