Dscf6606 (resized).jpg
Img_4557 (resized).jpg
Img_4551 (resized).jpg
Dscf6565 (resized).jpg
Dscf6586 (resized).jpg
Dscf6566 (resized).jpg
Img_4640 (resized).jpg
Dscf6538 (resized).jpg

There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
#551 6 years ago

OP - 2800 right now in cash. Sound good? Great!

haha - this thing looks awesome!

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So you just want the cabinet?

Thanks

#553 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Try 4k when finished, maybe more. I dont think Id go less than 3500 on mine, and its not half this nice. JP is a keeper.

Really like yoyo's 3d buildings, but the power shed just doesnt match up as well as I would want it to for the money. Looks like a battery instead of a shed.

#554 6 years ago

Guys I was obviously joking!

Pin looks great.

#555 6 years ago

Very nice progress again!

Please don't try to put prices on freshly restored pins...

#556 6 years ago

Got the playfield hooked up and backboard installed. Did a lot of testing today. Will have a couple of parts in tomorrow to finish the center scoop and install the crossing wire ramp. I am out for a couple of days but should be back Wednesday night so my plan is to finish up and have the playfield in the cab on Thursday. Its finally coming together.

So far the new T-Rex is 100% on picking up the ball.

Dscf6567 (resized).jpgDscf6567 (resized).jpgDscf6568 (resized).jpgDscf6568 (resized).jpg

#557 6 years ago

Would it be possible to rotate the power shed mod just slightly toward the player?

Either way I think your OCD might drive you nuts with it.

Gorgeous build.

#558 6 years ago

Everything looks stunning....except that power shed mod...as stated before, it looks like a battery and being off center like that would drive me crazy.
Great work on this project, looks like your close to done...congrats

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Everything looks stunning....except that power shed mod...as stated before, it looks like a battery and being off center like that would drive me crazy.
Great work on this project, looks like your close to done...congrats

Thanks. Yeah, with the gate being wider than the old one I don't really have a choice on the scoop. If I centered it then the gate would be off and that would REALLY drive me crazy.
While not ideal, I think it looks better than 2 generic lights and I hope what I do for the control room scoop makes up for it.

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Thanks. Yeah, with the gate being wider than the old one I don't really have a choice on the scoop. If I centered it then the gate would be off and that would REALLY drive me crazy.
While not ideal, I think it looks better than 2 generic lights and I hope what I do for the control room scoop makes up for it.

Hi Lonny,

With your expert craftmanship you could likely notch out a little bit of plastic using a Dremel tool on the right side of the custom JP Gate so that the power shed will fit perfectly up against the gate and then it would be centered over the scoop. It's just a thought for another way to make the power shed and custom JP Gate fit together better.

Gord

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Lonny,
With your expert craftmanship you could likely notch out a little bit of plastic using a Dremel tool on the right side of the custom JP Gate so that the power shed will fit perfectly up against the gate and then it would be centered over the scoop. It's just a thought for another way to make the power shed and custom JP Gate fit together better.
Gord

I'm afraid in this situation, it cant be done. There are servos in the base so there is no room to notch it out. The servo arm would also touch the power shed if it was moved any closer. So in this case, it is what it is. Its already becoming less noticeable. I cant change it so I'm not going to worry about it.

I installed a bracket to help stop the ball getting stuck by the T-Rex. I attached it to the screw that holds the shoulder plastic down. I used some of the graphics I created so hopefully make it blend in.
Dscf6569 (resized).jpgDscf6569 (resized).jpg

#562 6 years ago

The machine is done and will be at TPF this weekend.
Sorry there haven't been any updates lately. Along with the work schedule, I have been burning the midnight oil to get this thing dialed in and I just haven't had the energy to sit down and write it out. Had some unexpected issues with the CPU board so swapped it out and all is good but it ate up a lot of time. Also a lot of adjusting etc. I had a massive problem with air balls off the 4 posts by the ramp and captive ball. Worked a long time to get that fixed.

I have taken pictures so after TPF, I will sit down and finish this thread and also talk about the custom mods I installed.

I will try and put up a coup,e of pics tonight.

#563 6 years ago

Contrats man! Thanks for documenting.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Contrats man! Thanks for documenting.

Yeah! Awesome work. A lot more attention to detail than I'd have the patients for. Would love to see a video of it when time works out for you.

Quoted from Lonzo:

I had a massive problem with air balls off the 4 posts by the ramp and captive ball. Worked a long time to get that fixed.

What was your fix? I had that issue when I used SuperBand posts. I ended up switching them out with Cliffy Post rubber. Super Bands made the ball fly. Cliffy deadens the bounce drastically.

#565 6 years ago

Final pics bro????

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

What was your fix? I had that issue when I used SuperBand posts. I ended up switching them out with Cliffy Post rubber. Super Bands made the ball fly. Cliffy deadens the bounce drastically.

Well. I started with Super Bands and the ball flew like an F-18 Hornet off an aircraft carrier. I changed out to standard rubber and it improved but I was still getting air balls. Made sure the post were vertical and had to figure something out. I can't have a ball destroying all I worked for. The left and center scoop mods are right I the flight path. If I missed a ramp shot to the right and hit the post, the ball would end up in the plastic ramp on the left. My solution may not be ideal but it keeps the ball planted on the playfield. I think there is a guy that sells cliffys at the show so I may get some and try them but for now, this is it. I thought maybe the scoop and raptor shot might be more difficult and they might be just a little but I was making them on my first game after install. So it's not Houdini tight. Lol

IMG_4595 (resized).JPGIMG_4595 (resized).JPG

#567 6 years ago

Wow. Great work. I respect your willingness to re-do things you don't like (over & over). I feel like you have to and that was a big turning point for me with my own projects. Your playfield looks amazing.

I have to ask because of the level of your restoration & skill - I know it's a huge pain but why not strip the playfield to clean harnesses, polish mechs, etc?

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Wow. Great work. I respect your willingness to re-do things you don't like (over & over). I feel like you have to and that was a big turning point for me with my own projects. Your playfield looks amazing.
I have to ask because of the level of your restoration & skill - I know it's a huge pain but why not strip the playfield to clean harnesses, polish mechs, etc?

Thanks. Well, this project kinda took on a life of its own and at the beginning I was not really planning to do anything inside the cabinet or under the playfield. Most of the mechs under were powdercoated. The only thing that really wasn't cleaned as well as it could have been was the wiring harness. I am guessing on my next project I will do that. Never have taken everything off the bottom. Doesn't look fun. Lol

#569 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Thanks. Well, this project kinda took on a life of its own and at the beginning I was not really planning to do anything inside the cabinet or under the playfield. Most of the mechs under were powdercoated. The only thing that really wasn't cleaned as well as it could have been was the wiring harness. I am guessing on my next project I will do that. Never have taken everything off the bottom. Doesn't look fun. Lol

It's not as bad as it seems. Just take a lot of pictures.

Amazing job on the build. Very impressed. I am looking forward to seeing at TPF in a couple of days.

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Spoilers: it’s not “fun” at least in the traditional sense, but a great payoff like the other work you’ve done. You don’t have to be crazy, but it helps... either way, game looks stellar.

#571 6 years ago

Thanks. Looking forward to chatting with everyone at TPF. I might be bringing an un used Loop Combo mod and the inside art if anyone is interested.

#572 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I think there is a guy that sells cliffys at the show so I may get some and try them but for now

I think you'll be happy with them in both regards to look and bounce. I bought mine at the Chicago Expo a couple years ago.

But I know exactly what you mean with the Super Bands. I had one shot jump over the crossover ramp and over the flippers. I think it was because how grippy they were. With the way the ball spins when it hits it, it just launches it in the air.

#573 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Thanks. Looking forward to chatting with everyone at TPF. I might be bringing an un used Loop Combo mod and the inside art if anyone is interested.

I might be interested in the side art, I just wonder if my pf has enough space on each side. See you at the show, I plan to drop off my Jurassic Park Thursday night after work. Its in players quality and no where as clean as yours but it plays well still. great job again on your restore

#574 6 years ago

IMG_4615 (resized).JPGIMG_4615 (resized).JPGIMG_4617 (resized).JPGIMG_4617 (resized).JPG

#575 6 years ago

That’s awesome!

#576 6 years ago

Ha! That's when you know your game is something special!

#577 6 years ago

That made my day, I'm sure it made yours!

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

Best 90's @ TPF 2018 if not best of show. Calling it now.

Congrats on the best in show win! Called it! Your game is stunning and the quality of work and attention to detail in phenomenal. It played great as well, loved the computer. Well deserved.

#579 6 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

Congrats on the best in show win! Called it! Your game is stunning and the quality of work and attention to detail in phenomenal. It played great as well, loved the computer. Well deserved.

Woah, incredible win, incredible machine.

#580 6 years ago

Glad to hear this won! I was in the TPF thread but with the pic overload I couldn’t keep up with the actual text.

#581 6 years ago

There was really nothing else to compete with this game. Well deserved

#582 6 years ago

Way to go Lonny! It's nice to be recognized by your peers. Glad to see all of your hard work payoff! Had a great time hanging out with you this weekend. Already looking forward to next year!

imagejpeg_0 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0 (resized).jpg

#583 6 years ago

Thanks for all the support and comments. It's been an incredible day. Still not quit sure its sunk in yet. As TXJay said above, it is quit an honor to be recognized by your peers. Thanks to everyone that stopped by to chat. It was an awesome show and cant wait until next year.

A shout out to a few fellow pinsiders that helped in one way or another with support or mods.
BD700, TheCapn, TxJay, Winteriscoming, outcida, GRB1959, Rondogg, TaylorVA. If I missed anyone I apologize.

I appreciate everyone following this thread and I promise in a day or two I will try and finish up this thread and show some pictures of the few mods I added and how I made them.

Thanks again for the support.

Lonny

#584 6 years ago

I am going to try and finish this up. First I want to say that I was cutting it close on time so towards the end, I was more in the "get things done" mode instead of the documenting mode so I will do my best to document things.

One of the mods I added was the East Dock sign. There are signs out there but I wanted to be a little different.
I printed the sign parts. I had to do it several times to get the type of fit I wanted. I printed the parts in ABS plastic to give strength and a little flexibility just in case a ball hit it.

The East Dock part was printed in black and a black vinyl decal was used for the text.
Dscf6518 (resized).jpgDscf6518 (resized).jpg

The map sign was sanded and polished so a clear water slide decal could be used.
Dscf6521 (resized).jpgDscf6521 (resized).jpg

I don't have a picture of the arrow sign but it is printed in black and then a white vinyl decal with an arrow is applied.

Here are some finished pictures.
Dscf6597 (resized).jpgDscf6597 (resized).jpg

The ultra nano servo is covered by a black box and is not visible from the playing position. I printed the base with a channel in it so the servo wire could be hidden and then the wire goes in a channel under the base so the only visible part of the wire is where the screw holds it down.
Dscf6585 (resized).jpgDscf6585 (resized).jpg

The servo is run with Tim's Pinball Mods servo board. I did not want to use the switch matrix at all so I added a switch on the other side of the switch mount. The trigger wire was adjusted so that the activation of the normal switch would trigger the second switch at the same time.
Dscf6535 (resized).jpgDscf6535 (resized).jpgDscf6536 (resized).jpgDscf6536 (resized).jpg

The arrow is normally pointed to the left. when you hit the East Dock eject hole, the arrow will move and point to the eject hole. Here is a video of it working.

#585 6 years ago

omg. that arrow turning up? Get out of here. This restore is incredible.

#586 6 years ago

The next mod was the computer that sits above the control room scoop. I wanted this screen to display the programs that were running on the computers in the control room in the movies. The tour program, The perimeter fence program and Nedry's computer stuff is run in a loop on the screen. The base is a 4D-Systems 128x128 screen. I wanted to make the screen as small as possible so it looks scale with the other scoop mods and I also did not want to block any view of the playfield.

I started by designing a computer screen in a program called blender. The screen will be two parts with a hole in the top for a green light to match the other scoop mods.

Here are the two parts printed in ABS plastic.
Dscf6539 (resized).jpgDscf6539 (resized).jpg

I designed it with as tight as possible fit to keep the size down. Here is the final test print to verify fit.
Dscf6541 (resized).jpgDscf6541 (resized).jpg

The computer was printed in white and was then painted a cream color to match most computers and take a little of the harshness of the bright white.
Here is the base with the screen attached.
Img_4500 (resized).jpgImg_4500 (resized).jpg

Here is where the two piece design comes in. Of course I didn't want black screws on the front of the screen. The outer piece was printed with a 3mm gap in the center of the bezel. This is the thickness of the screw heat. The base has a recessed area on each side and the outer piece has tabs that slide into those areas and then it snaps to keep the pieces together.
Img_4502 (resized).jpgImg_4502 (resized).jpgImg_4505 (resized).jpgImg_4505 (resized).jpg

Installed with the green light on top and decals on the front.
Dscf6596 (resized).jpgDscf6596 (resized).jpg

This is powered by a 5 volt power supply that was added to the cabinet.

Normally the lower light that was originally above the scoop would tell you when to shoot the scoop. With this computer, that light is no longer used but sinve I have the flashing scoop mod, it is not needed.

Here is a short video of it running.

#587 6 years ago

The next mod was a set of raptor claws that come out from behind the back box with strobing lights lighting them up. I am playing off the scene in the movie where the raptors are tying to get into the control room and the people are trying to slam the door. The raptor manages to get his claw between the door and the frame in a curling motion.

Once again these are controlled with boards from Tims Pinball Mods.

Just as the East Dock sign, I didn't want to tap into the switch matrix so I mounted a switch to the plastic tabs of the Raptor Pit switch. This one was one of those plastic mounts. The extra switch fit perfectly on the back but the mounts were not long enough to put a lock on to hold the switch.
Dscf6537 (resized).jpgDscf6537 (resized).jpg

So I made a metal bracket to hold the switch in place.
Dscf6538 (resized).jpgDscf6538 (resized).jpg

When the raptor pit is hit, these claws come out.

The mechanism was printed in black ABS. It was designed in blender and I used a double action system that gives the claw more movement. Here is the completed mechanism. There was one for each side.
Img_4640 (resized).jpgImg_4640 (resized).jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of it mounted to the backbox.
Dscf6588 (resized).jpgDscf6588 (resized).jpgDscf6587 (resized).jpgDscf6587 (resized).jpg

Here are the strobe lights attached to the top of the backbox. one of the cool side effects is that when activated is also really strobes the logo too.
Dscf6591 (resized).jpgDscf6591 (resized).jpg

When extended, this is what it will look like from the front. When the claw is stowed, it is not visible from the front.
Dscf6590 (resized).jpgDscf6590 (resized).jpg

Here is a video of it working.

#588 6 years ago

This game was spectactular at the show. I brought the IJ that was in the back and I told myself, "I'd be ok if that JP won." Great Job!

#589 6 years ago

The last thing I did was the apron. I cleaned the entire apron and sanded off the chrome paint.
Dscf6565 (resized).jpgDscf6565 (resized).jpg

I then taped off the center logo.
Dscf6566 (resized).jpgDscf6566 (resized).jpg

Painted.
Img_4551 (resized).jpgImg_4551 (resized).jpg

Here is the apron finished with new decals and cards installed.
Img_4557 (resized).jpgImg_4557 (resized).jpg

Also added the stock Pterodactyls
Dscf6586 (resized).jpgDscf6586 (resized).jpg

#590 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

This game was spectactular at the show. I brought the IJ that was in the back and I told myself, "I'd be ok if that JP won." Great Job!

Thanks so much. That means a lot because your machine was gorgeous. When talking with friends about machines that could win, yours was always in the conversation. Very nice work.

#591 6 years ago

Meh, it was okay for a Data East game....

#592 6 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Meh, it was okay for a Data East game....

Doooooooh.

You got that AFMR ordered yet since you left the club????

#593 6 years ago

I was in taking pictures for the final post and forgot about a couple of things. I put some cabinet flashers on both underneath the cab and on top the backbox.

The under cab flashers were connected to the aux 12v power supply and then triggered with the ground signal from the flasher/solenoid line. This allows you to add flashers and it doesn't use the machines power at all so there is no additional stress on the boards. One of the under cab flashers was hooked to the Raptor pit and the other was hooked to the mosquito flasher.
Dscf6606 (resized).jpgDscf6606 (resized).jpg

The backbox flasher was connected to the original flasher system that was on the top of the backbox. It sits just in front of the topper so it really flashes the topper when activated and looks pretty cool. It is not visible unless you are looking at the top of the backbox. And yes, just in case you are wondering, I went in and adjusted the red wire so it was not sticking up anymore.
Dscf6607 (resized).jpgDscf6607 (resized).jpg

#594 6 years ago

The raptor claw mod is just insane. I’m not a huge fan of mods but this is just awesome and unique.

#595 6 years ago

I guess this will finish this up. I suck at pictures so they are not as good as other people would probably do. I need to learn the best settings but oh well.
Dscf6598 (resized).jpgDscf6598 (resized).jpgDscf6599 (resized).jpgDscf6599 (resized).jpgDscf6604 (resized).jpgDscf6604 (resized).jpgDscf6603 (resized).jpgDscf6603 (resized).jpg

I am actually going to be building a VP with some features that I have never seen done before and then move on to another restoration. I haven't made up my mind yet but here are the ones that I have in line.

Apollo 13
Bally Harley Davidson
Corvette
Strange Science
Funhouse
DE Star Wars

I also figured I would offer it to someone in this thread before I do everyone. I have a brand new loop combo mod and those side panel graphics that I am going to sell if anyone is interested.

Thanks for following and I really appreciate the comments and encouragement along the way.

Lonny

#596 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Doooooooh.
You got that AFMR ordered yet since you left the club????

Ha! I picked it up at TPF on Sunday. Thanks to Greg at Pinballpro.com He had a Black LE that he brought with him.

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I haven't made up my mind yet but here are the ones that I have in line.

Funhouse

Ooooo do Funhouse, I would love to see what you come up with for that. So many options!

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

The raptor claw mod is just insane. I’m not a huge fan of mods but this is just awesome and unique.

Thanks. I am always looking for that one thing to add to my machines that make them different. But like you, I don't like adding stuff just for the sake of adding stuff. I also want anything I add to blend in with the original content and look like its supposed to be there and not "added" if that makes sense. I thought it was unique and not something that was normally visible so it doesn't affect the machine when not in use. It was fun to watch people when they were watching someone play a game and seeing it for the first time. It was unexpected.

#599 6 years ago

Great work Lonny! Everything on this machine came out amazing!!! I really love what you did with the east dock sign and the raptor claws. When I created my boards I envisioned people using them for unique ideas but you just took it to the next level with your creativity and you had the ingenuity to pull it off. My hats off to you sir!

#600 6 years ago

Congratulations on the win! The game looks great, and very creative with the mods!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
There are 626 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-restoration/page/12?hl=ieathands and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.