Screen_shot_2012-12-04_at_1.56.38_PM.png
IMG_4504.jpeg
De_cpu_520-5003-04.JPG
DEPowerSupply.jpg
IMG_0553.jpeg
JPBoard.JPG
JP2.JPG
JP1.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpsystem3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 11 years ago

Does the display driver board have the display roms installed? You mentioned that you were missing rom chips... do you now have a full set? There are roms for program, audio and dots. The DMD rom is located on the DMD controller board. If I recall correctly, a bad rom will result in garbage on the DMD screen. It wouldn't prevent bootup however...

Hows your +5v looking? All the PCB's need 5v to boot up properly, including the display controller. If I had to guess, your 5v power train is dead (probably bad connectors, those DE power supplys get HOT).

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Dogadillo:

I purchased a full set of roms (5 total) and installed them over the weekend and it didn't change what the DMD displayed.
My brother was checking the power supply board while I was working the fresh rubber it and cleaning the playfield. He said it seemed like it had proper voltage, but the machine was used previously as a coin op, so it probably stayed on for at least 12 hours at a time and we noticed some dark marks on the back of the board. I have attached a close up of the fuses on the power supply board. Notice the dark marks.

Post a picture of the "cube connector" (you can see the edge of it in your picture). If that connector is even remotely discolored, both the headder and connector should probably be replaced.

To properly diagnose your issue, you're going to need a multimeter and you're going to need to probe all of the test points on the Power Supply as well as the CPU board (there are marked test points for GND and 5v/12v). Make sure all of your values are within range.

If I had to take a blind guess, you have bad connectors on the power train. All three Data East machines I've owned had that same problem.

#10 11 years ago

If your connectors look like the ones pictured below (CN1 and CN8), they more than likely are bad

DEPowerSupply.jpgDEPowerSupply.jpg

#11 11 years ago

And, in this pic, in the upper left corner, you'll see two "metal loops" marked GND and +5v. Put your black multimeter lead on GND and red lead on +5v. Put your multimeter in autorange DC voltage and ensure you're somewhere within 4.9v-5.2v.

If 5v is missing, the game will not boot.

De_cpu_520-5003-04.JPGDe_cpu_520-5003-04.JPG

#13 11 years ago

Another thing I forgot to mention- check how "springy" the fuse holders are. Data East boards are known to have flaky fuse holders. If they do not grab the fuse VERY tight they need to be replaced.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Dogadillo:

If those connectors are bad, should I just consider ordering a new board or is it salvagable?

Yeah- that header looks a bit questionable to me. I would suspect the mating connector is also discolored?

Yes, it is absolutely salvagable. There are a number of tech's (myself included) that can help you change that connector out. If you're not comfortable soldering it, or would prefer peace of mind getting a brand new board, that option is there as well. I had a power supply that was too far gone to repair and opted for a Rottondog replacement. Worked out great!

Before you consider repair or replacement however, do check your current voltage readings as discussed above! We're looking for +5v on the CPU. The status LED's should help you quickly determine if its working and or working properly. See the link below for the LED flash sequence:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Data_East_CPU_Board_LED_Flash_Sequence

No LED's = no power. Even if you do not see the LED's flash, measure the test points I described above. Its possible you have 5v exiting the power supply, but something (connectors, bad IC, etc) are dropping the voltage out of range.

#20 11 years ago

Wait- so there is +5v on both the PSU and the CPU?

If you're seeing solid +5v on both, its not a connector problem. If you're seeing it ONLY on the PSU and NOT on the CPU, its a connector issue.

Are you 100% certain your roms are installed the correct direction? The notch silk-screened on the CPU should match the notch on the eprom. Also, do any of the chips get hot to the touch?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpsystem3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-not-working-when-powered-on?tu=cpsystem3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.