Jurassic Park losing track of a ball during multi-ball

By harryhoudini

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Anytime there is more than a 2 ball multi-ball (tri-ball, chaos, etc) it seems like the machine loses track of a ball. Eventually it will get to a point where you are playing with one ball but it still is in multi-ball mode. When that drains you have to wait for a ball search and then eventually it will shoot out another and you continue on. Obviously it is missing some signal but I tested and at least the lasts few trough switches work fine. I will test them all, but I figured if those were bad the game would report that as a missing ball? I am hoping this is a commonality amongst games when this happens and I can look at some diode or something.

Any tips on getting the t-rex to reliably pick up and swallow the ball? Sometimes it missing the ball entirely, sometimes it takes it but doesn't swallow. I set the game level to 6.5 deg per the manual. I haven't done anything to the t-rex since I've owned the game and usually have it turned off. Are there wear parts that should be replaced or serviced?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Anytime there is more than a 2 ball multi-ball (tri-ball, chaos, etc) it seems like the machine loses track of a ball. Eventually it will get to a point where you are playing with one ball but it still is in multi-ball mode. When that drains you have to wait for a ball search and then eventually it will shoot out another and you continue on. Obviously it is missing some signal but I tested and at least the lasts few trough switches work fine. I will test them all, but I figured if those were bad the game would report that as a missing ball? I am hoping this is a commonality amongst games when this happens and I can look at some diode or something.
Any tips on getting the t-rex to reliably pick up and swallow the ball? Sometimes it missing the ball entirely, sometimes it takes it but doesn't swallow. I set the game level to 6.5 deg per the manual. I haven't done anything to the t-rex since I've owned the game and usually have it turned off. Are there wear parts that should be replaced or serviced?

I have replaced a lot of ball trough switches on jp. All it takes it one to fail. Do switch test. Roll balls in trough watch them all register. Look for cold solder joints or loose wire /diode.

I've also used ball eject function to watch ball countdown to find faulty seitch

T. rex pass test? Make sure switches underneath all register

#3 7 years ago

I would take the trough out and clean it with sand paper and a little spit. Probably little divots, causing the ball not to roll smooth. After that check and change out the switches as needed, it's never a bad idea to change them out after 23 years with new ones and they're cheap. After that, you won't have any more ball search problems.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks billsfanmd and shacklersrevenge I'll do as you suggest, guess it could be as simple as I thought!

#5 7 years ago

Ok, I checked all the switches and no issues. Tried every combination and they all show up fine on the diag. Any next steps?

#6 7 years ago

yup, okay that's good that they're registering

what this tells me is, your trough may have those divots or your game is not sitting at a good height (or both)

When you get in a multiball, your trough is not rolling smooth for the next ball over the switches. Long story short, your problem lies in your trough. I would take the apron off, get into multiball and watch that trough. What happens?

#7 7 years ago

I've run into a similar issue with multiballs not being tracked properly in the trough of my Tommy (also Data East). In the past I've adjusted the switches by bending them a little so they're all in a good straight line. Just recently I found that the tiny wheels on the switches of the trough were pretty dirty (like the wheels in an old PC ball mouse!) and balls weren't always rolling over them smoothly. Cleaned them up with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol and tracking is back to normal - maybe worth checking!

#8 7 years ago

pinbits sells a a great WPC plastic ball tough guide that eliminates all ridges but not sure its fit for a DE pin. Like shakler said you need to now visually see balls roll. forget if you can remove apron and lower pf back down and play

#9 7 years ago

Double check. Are all 6 balls in the through switch area?

I learned during a multiball that it's possible for a ball to get stuck in the subway on mine. I had a ball go missing, and took me forever to figure out where it had gone.

#10 7 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys. Sounds like I need to focus on the trough, I will do that test with the apron off. I don't think it's anywhere else but the trough because they are accounted for when it kicks out another. So basically you'll be still there with no balls on the playfield but the game thinks you still have one out so it's stalled. Once it does the coil check it kicks another ball out and launches it and you keep playing. So sounds like we're all on the right track.

1 month later
#11 6 years ago

Not sure if older threads are bumped if I reply, but I wanted to follow up here. I tested all the trough switches and they are fine and register properly. I think it might be an issue with the "ball out" switch that knows there is a ball ready to kick out to the shooter. Is that the last trough switch then? I am thinking this because what happens is that the tri-ball ends with the last ball draining but the game knows there should be another ball in play and once it does the solenoid test it kicks out and shoots out the last ball that is waiting. Is that still the trough switches?

I am unsure if I should just replace all of the switches? Because they test fine, so unsure where to go next.

#13 6 years ago

ChadH YES! Thank you!! My searching wasn't accurate enough, now I know. Can't wait to fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-losing-track-of-a-ball-during-multi-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.