You

Topic poll

“Jurassic Park LE or Elvira's House of Horrors LE”

• Jurassic Park 2019 LE 145 votes
    67%
  • Elvira's House of Horrors 2019 LE 73 votes
    33%

(218 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Play them both and then decide what you want...

Quoted from delt31:

I think this is a joke thread. Has to be.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Man these threads are getting boring and should be banned. Play them both and decide for urself. "One mans goose is another mans gander" Archie Bunker 1972.

Was at a friend's house where he had both JP LE and Elvira LE. It was fun to be able to play both and discuss their pluses and minuses including which game one would choose if one could only have one. It's kind of sad that this type of discussion isn't welcomed on pinside.

#43 4 years ago

delt31 I actually do like the JP theme. I also think they did a great job with the T-rex and there is a ton of value on that game in terms of the amount of stuff you get especially at the pro level. If you want to spent less than $6k on a NIB game JP pro is great option, and probably even the best option.

My problem with this game is that to me it feels like they just slapped the JP brand on a bunch of dinosaur CGI with some generic voice work that includes only one minor character from the movie. I find a lot of the callouts annoying. It reminds my of those TV shows where they get a license then do a low budget cartoon version for kids to watch. The renderings of the dinosaurs are well done, but the people and vehicles look really odd and the story line of the game lacks at lot the nuance that made the movie great.

I like the originality of the JP layout, but I find that I brick a lot of shots - maybe this is because I'm not a good enough player, but I also feel the shots are also narrower and harder than most games. I also find that there are often a lot of shots lit due to the way the modes are structured but also because of the high degree of stacking. As such I often the feeling that it isn't clear what I should be shooting at and it probably doesn't matter. A similar criticism applies to things like which way that vehicle is pointed to start the next mode. I get that you can choose a slightly shorter course but also most of these modes seem very similar and I also feel like I can never get to the end anyway so it doesn't really matter. I also find that post that comes up in the left in lanes slows the game down.

As for Elvira, I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the Elvira character but I don't mind adult themes. If you get offended by a mature woman making sexual innuendos, Elvira won't be the game for you. That said she doesn't take herself or these films that seriously which for me makes it fun. I do like humor in pins which JP mostly lacks. Obviously, Elvira it isn't kid friendly like JP, so for a kid environment JP would be a better choice. I also like B-list horror/sci-fi and I think of the game as more focused on that. That said the theme integration on this is way better than JP - they have lots of original film clips, and custom callouts (and animations/video) from Elvira herself. The music is pretty good and fits the theme.

I think they did a great job with that house also - it is well made, there is a ramp that lifts and a diverter beyond that, there is a physical ball lock on the left, the lighting in incredible, the windows light up individually. Overall this is a great toy. You also get the crypt and the chest. I really like the way the game shoots, although I would also agree that it is a more standard layout and the shots are easier to make. That said I think it is fun to make shots, while bricking shots isn't as fun for me.

Code is early on Elvira, but this is a Lyman game so you know he isn't going to half-ass it. That said the game has some annoyances like the spinner doesn't make sound yet and the modes seem incomplete.

Elvira is more expensive and I get that people aren't happy about that. But let's not pretend this is only a $15k pin, the cost difference when you compare to standard LE and prem prices is only a few hundred more than other recent games and for many of us that isn't a huge issue.

I've played both games about the same amount but haven't bought or ordered either. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to own both. That said if I were going to buy one today it would be Elvira because I enjoy it more even with the early code for the reasons above. I bought BM66 early and actually enjoyed playing the code as it developed, if you want finished code on day one its better to focus on games that have been out a while. I also feel that JP will be the type of game that will be almost everywhere, so I'd rather have a game that is more unique at home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

10,000 (Firm)
$ 35.00
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-le-or-elvira-s-house-of-horrors-le?tu=twenty84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.