You

Topic poll

“Jurassic Park LE or Elvira's House of Horrors LE”

• Jurassic Park 2019 LE 145 votes
    67%
  • Elvira's House of Horrors 2019 LE 73 votes
    33%

(218 votes)

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

First off I just need to say I know both of these games are rather new, code is unfinished, playfield issues(pooling/chipping), buying right now rather than later; but all of that aside I wanna pick the best machine I can for the short term. Some of my criteria is I can only have one machine, it has to be newer due to me learning how to maintain a machine and something that can hold my attention for longer than Guardians. I purchased a Guardians Premium that I ended up not enjoying because of the difficulty/rules being shallower than I thought and honestly just not as satisfying as I wanted it to be. I almost forced myself to like it and that isn't enjoyable long term.

JP and Elvira have caught my eye for the last few months and it's down to both of them.

That being said hopefully we can just have a fun positive discussion about some of the pros and cons of each. I'm rather new to pinball so what is causing my conundrum is I've seen people say JP is pretty brutal play wise and Elvira seems a little more new player friendly.

I've played a JP Pro at a local bar and the shots are just so much fun, however progressing deeper in the code might turn up to be frustrating.

Right now I have this:

JP:

Pros -
Keith Elwin Design
Theme - Looks Amazing
Fun and Satisfying initially - Only about 100 plays on it

Cons -
Fast and Brutal - Tight shots
Going deeper into the rules could be frustrating
Lights/Light Show - Could be better

Elvira:

Pros -
Lyman Code - although not much word on how fun/deep it is; people trust him though
Theme - Looks Amazing and loved SS
Buttery shots and longer ball times then JP - only assuming watching others play (Jack Danger)
Lights/Light Show - Looks Amazing

Cons-
Haven't Played
Somewhat empty middle playfield - not as many shots as JP/and or satisfying
Some concern code won't be finished for a long time or it's missing a lot of what people wanted Elvira callouts/videos etc

#2 4 years ago

I just played both quite a bit, and I'm trying to figure out how to get a JP Premium. Both good games, but the shots, software (so far), integration with theme and display, JP has the edge at this point. I just had more fun shooting JP.

#3 4 years ago

Having played the LE versions of both, JP takes it on shots, fun, and features.

Elvira for the theme. The floating heads didn't bother me as much as I thought they would.

JP was really a pleasant surprise for me. The shots were all satisfying with endless combos. The T-rex was really cool. I wanted to keep playing it.

In contrast, the Elvira shots felt repetitive and easy to hit, so while it was fun for the handful of games I played, I'm concerned over its lastability in a smaller home collection.

In fairness, I don't have a lot of games on either one. These are just my initial impressions of both.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

I've played a JP Pro

Play them both and then decide what you want...

#5 4 years ago

JP LE all the way fun game cool shots and good code. Elvira is a fan layout with very very early code.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Elvira is a fan layout with very very early code.

True but it's Lyman and you know where that's going just as Met, BM66, TWD, ACDC and so fourth did.

#7 4 years ago

I think this is a joke thread. Has to be.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Don't really have an opportunity to play Elvira anywhere otherwise I would definitely do that and by the time I do all the JP LE's will be gone.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No? And was just waiting for the trolls to show up, welcome.

#10 4 years ago

Not to be hyperbolic but Elvira can’t be better than JP of any model. JP is so good. I haven’t seen an Elvira in person but it isn’t better. It just isn’t.

#11 4 years ago

I would go with JP as it's a proven great game today. Those buttery smooth ramps are so smooth on Elvira 3 for a reason...they are 100% plastic and return the ball directly to the flippers. JP has metal ramps + metal habit rails and every model cost significantly less then Elvira 3.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

all the JP LE's will be gone.

Don’t get caught up in that... trust me.

But to your question, I played both at expo and wouldn’t even try to compare the two. JP is a home run, I wouldn’t own an Elvira. But that’s my opinion. If you played JP and liked it, buy it. Don’t consider another pin, especially one you haven’t played just because you think it might be good or better. Just my 2 cents...

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

No? And was just waiting for the trolls to show up, welcome.

not trolling - just thought this was a joke considering you're comparing a barely coded game that is so simple in it's current form to a absolute powerhouse in JP. It's a joke of a comparison. JP all the way.....like literally everyone has said here.

and I've played both.

#14 4 years ago

I love pinball, sure is great to have choices.

#15 4 years ago

Elvira looks fun and the B movies are an added treat. HOH looks great and some cool toys, but have to agree that JP3 is the way to go. It has 4 ramps! All metal and great code that sucks you into the story of the game. Can’t go wrong with either, but the price of Elvira causes me to pause. JPLE is far better value.

Shot value on JP3 is better and having played quite a few games, not difficult after dialing them in and knowing where they’re at on the flippers. Elvira looks too easy shot wise. As your flipper skills improve, JP3 lastability may prove to be much better.

#16 4 years ago

Jurassic Park is a “BEAST“ of a pin.

Amazing.

#17 4 years ago

I played both (JP Pro & Prem) and Elvira LE. I think JP wins by a mile. It is a blast of a game. Elivra's shots seemed slow and easy to me. The ramps where not much fun but it is a nice looking game. I don't think I would buy an Elvira but JP Prem is at the top of my list.

#18 4 years ago

This really isn't close. JP is so much fun. I watched Escher destroy Elvira this weekend (Expo tournament) and the game looked unbelievably dull.

#19 4 years ago

JP is one of the best games Stern has put out in years.
YEARS.

#20 4 years ago

I’ve played JP pro and LE as well as Elvira. JP is the much better game currently. I would buy it now and in another year or so revisit Elvira when code is more mature. All the shots on Elvira are rather easy to hit.

#21 4 years ago

I haven’t played Elvira yet, should be able to later this week. I’ve played both the premium and LE JP and really enjoyed both, the LE was a greater experience and I’d buy it (or Prem) over the pro if able. I own IM premium and after the hours spent on JP, I’m thinking I’m going to have a Keith Elwin section in my future home game room. I cannot wait to see what he comes up with next.

#22 4 years ago

I love Keith’s games but Lyman gives you such deeper code then what Keith offers his games are usually lighter on modes and stuff to do vs Lyman

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I love Keith’s games but Lyman gives you such deeper code then what Keith offers his games are usually lighter on modes and stuff to do vs Lyman

Not on Jurassic Park.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Not on Jurassic Park.

Really? I thought there were only 3 main modes and a couple T rex events?

#25 4 years ago

C'mon guys put your childhood Elvira fantasies aside she's an old woman now and the pinball machine isn't much better. This isn't even close, JP wins this poll easily!

#26 4 years ago

I have to go with EHoH...I just can't get into the JP/dino theme. That said, I played JP a handful of times and is an awsome machine...I own EHoH and cannot get enough of it...it is truly a blast to play and it is just getting started.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Really? I thought there were only 3 main modes and a couple T rex events?

Elvira does seem to have a lot going on it rules wise. The items below are from the official thread. I said earlier that I would pick JP but I can see picking Elvira just because of how much deeper the code will be. Elvira appears to have a much deeper objective based ruleset. Also, the callouts in JP are absolutely terrible in my opinion.

- Junk In The Trunk Awards
- Junk in the Trunk Multiball (2-Ball)
- Phone a Fiend Mini-Wizard Multiball
- Wild Women Multiball
- Add-a-Zombie Multiball
- Attic Attack Multiball
- Gappa Battle (mini-wizard mode) -> if you beat Gappa, you get to play Gappa Multiball
- 6 Haunts modes, plus additional bonus Haunt modes
--- each haunt mode has it's own special rules - in Lyman fashion
- House Party Multiball after playing 3 haunts
- Attic Party Multiball after playing all 6 haunts
- Hand of Fate wheel -> when completed there is a bonus Mode (Mini-Wizard?)
- 12 Dead Heads (Crypt Cleaner) -> Super Head Shot -> Mini-Wizard for beating all 12 Dead Heads???
- Directors Cut Wizard Mode - available after beating 4 Haunt modes
- Gar-Goils Gone Wild mode
- Drive Me Crazy (loops mode)
- Un-Happy Hour (ramps mode)
- Trailer Trash mode

#28 4 years ago

I just put in about $20 on JP pro for the first time at a local barcade last weekend and here are my thoughts on the game. No prem or le JP at the place so YMMV. The game shoots smooth but those callouts gotta be one of the worst in pinball. And the dino theme doesn't work for me as a Jurassic park theme. And the non moving trex is an eye sore. Better off not even putting it in the pro model. So my advice would be just don't go for a JP pro model. Oh and it also had pooling around slingshots and about a 1/4 inch chip off of the right slingshot. Have only seen video on elvira but I can guarantee the code will be great, gameplay I can not say.

#29 4 years ago

I have both, they are completely different, fun to play , like each one for what it is.

#30 4 years ago

I played them both a lot at expo. I personally liked JP a lot more than Elvira because of the 3rd flipper layout. It really depends on what theme and layout you enjoy more.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

#32 4 years ago

JP2 and for me it’s not close. Elvira is a simple two flipper game w questionable animations. JP2 has unique layout and terrific combos.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Don't really have an opportunity to play Elvira anywhere otherwise I would definitely do that and by the time I do all the JP LE's will be gone.

Sounds like you are ruled by FOMO. I recommend getting past that. Otherwise you will continue making rushed decisions with limited information which won't always work out for you.

#34 4 years ago

Played both at expo, mostly while under the influence, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't write off Elvira by any stretch, because Lyman. Any simplicity in the geometry will be offset by his magic, eventually. (See BM66)

JP is amazing in my opinion. The variety of shots, the early code, the art. I like all of it (the callouts aren't ideal, but, it isn't a deal breaker for me). The thought of it getting better is pretty exciting.

As it stands now? I'd take JP and it isn't close. If Elvira was up against almost anything else though, it would be a tougher decision. It will be fun to visit in 6 months and see if Elvira closed the gap some. Ahh, first world problems. We are living in a great era in pinball.

#35 4 years ago

Man these threads are getting boring and should be banned. Play them both and decide for urself. "One mans goose is another mans gander" Archie Bunker 1972.

#36 4 years ago

This is simple(for me)if you enjoy game play that leans on combos and challenging shots that are satisfying then go with JP2. If you are looking for easier and a bit smoother shots(that are forgiving) go with EHOH. The code needs work on both games(more on EHOH)because of how new they are so hard to judge that part. Art work is always up to each individual. I played both but purchased a JP2prem even though I really wanted EHOH to be my next pin. EHOH is a easier shooting game so it needs a deep rule set to make up for this and will end up being a long playing game(not a bad thing). Hold tight play both before you buy and pick up a premium in the one that feels good to you, good luck.

#37 4 years ago

Voted JP at this point but let the record show I would have preferred Elvira callouts.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Quoted from delt31:

Quoted from Hazoff:

Man these threads are getting boring and should be banned. Play them both and decide for urself. "One mans goose is another mans gander" Archie Bunker 1972.

Was at a friend's house where he had both JP LE and Elvira LE. It was fun to be able to play both and discuss their pluses and minuses including which game one would choose if one could only have one. It's kind of sad that this type of discussion isn't welcomed on pinside.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

It's kind of sad that this type of discussion isn't welcomed on pinside.

Most don’t mind a discussion, but other than those who attended expo or you, who has really played both to form an opinion on an LE purchase?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Was at a friend's house where he had both JP LE and Elvira LE. It was fun to be able to play both and discuss their pluses and minuses including which game one would choose if one could only have one. It's kind of sad that this type of discussion isn't welcomed on pinside.

I don't mind these types of discussions but this isn't even close. In it's current state Elvira is terrible. I agree that it will be updated bc it's lyman and he will fix it but you're taking about a Juggernaut of a game in JP.

Unless you're an old guy who has no interest in JP theme and enjoys dick jokes coming from an even older woman, then I can understand but cmon now this is a no brainer. Give Elvira time and then revisit

#41 4 years ago

enjoys dick jokes coming from an even older woman...not me!

This’ll scare that pants off you...I hope!

#42 4 years ago

I've played both and had a lot of fun on both games. For me it comes down to personal taste. If I could only get one, I'd get the theme that is most appealing to me. I own Elvira LE and plan on getting Jurassic Park down the line. I have a Halloween party coming up and went with Elvira. There's quite a bit of depth so far with Elvira and new content with the lastest code. Good luck with your choice!

#43 4 years ago

delt31 I actually do like the JP theme. I also think they did a great job with the T-rex and there is a ton of value on that game in terms of the amount of stuff you get especially at the pro level. If you want to spent less than $6k on a NIB game JP pro is great option, and probably even the best option.

My problem with this game is that to me it feels like they just slapped the JP brand on a bunch of dinosaur CGI with some generic voice work that includes only one minor character from the movie. I find a lot of the callouts annoying. It reminds my of those TV shows where they get a license then do a low budget cartoon version for kids to watch. The renderings of the dinosaurs are well done, but the people and vehicles look really odd and the story line of the game lacks at lot the nuance that made the movie great.

I like the originality of the JP layout, but I find that I brick a lot of shots - maybe this is because I'm not a good enough player, but I also feel the shots are also narrower and harder than most games. I also find that there are often a lot of shots lit due to the way the modes are structured but also because of the high degree of stacking. As such I often the feeling that it isn't clear what I should be shooting at and it probably doesn't matter. A similar criticism applies to things like which way that vehicle is pointed to start the next mode. I get that you can choose a slightly shorter course but also most of these modes seem very similar and I also feel like I can never get to the end anyway so it doesn't really matter. I also find that post that comes up in the left in lanes slows the game down.

As for Elvira, I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the Elvira character but I don't mind adult themes. If you get offended by a mature woman making sexual innuendos, Elvira won't be the game for you. That said she doesn't take herself or these films that seriously which for me makes it fun. I do like humor in pins which JP mostly lacks. Obviously, Elvira it isn't kid friendly like JP, so for a kid environment JP would be a better choice. I also like B-list horror/sci-fi and I think of the game as more focused on that. That said the theme integration on this is way better than JP - they have lots of original film clips, and custom callouts (and animations/video) from Elvira herself. The music is pretty good and fits the theme.

I think they did a great job with that house also - it is well made, there is a ramp that lifts and a diverter beyond that, there is a physical ball lock on the left, the lighting in incredible, the windows light up individually. Overall this is a great toy. You also get the crypt and the chest. I really like the way the game shoots, although I would also agree that it is a more standard layout and the shots are easier to make. That said I think it is fun to make shots, while bricking shots isn't as fun for me.

Code is early on Elvira, but this is a Lyman game so you know he isn't going to half-ass it. That said the game has some annoyances like the spinner doesn't make sound yet and the modes seem incomplete.

Elvira is more expensive and I get that people aren't happy about that. But let's not pretend this is only a $15k pin, the cost difference when you compare to standard LE and prem prices is only a few hundred more than other recent games and for many of us that isn't a huge issue.

I've played both games about the same amount but haven't bought or ordered either. Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to own both. That said if I were going to buy one today it would be Elvira because I enjoy it more even with the early code for the reasons above. I bought BM66 early and actually enjoyed playing the code as it developed, if you want finished code on day one its better to focus on games that have been out a while. I also feel that JP will be the type of game that will be almost everywhere, so I'd rather have a game that is more unique at home.

#44 4 years ago

JP LE, so much better than elvira HOH.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

It's kind of sad that this type of discussion isn't welcomed on pinside.

I mean if I play Elvira and JP and prefer JP then to hell with anyone elses opinion.

#46 4 years ago
#47 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

My feelings 100% regardless of the silliness of it all.

It's amazing we get to even have so many choices!

I love seeing everyone's journey on here it provides a lot of things to think about.

When I see so many positive posts providing their knowledge and experience this is beyond helpful for me. I want to protect my investment and make the best decision I can.

Negative posts I just blow by. I've learned a long time ago trolls feed on attention and if you don't give it to them they will go elsewhere.

10 months later
#48 3 years ago

Now that the code has evolved on Elvira, is there an updated perspective on this comparison?

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Now that the code has evolved on Elvira, is there an updated perspective on this comparison?

These games are so different that they are tough to compare. Both together would make an awesome little collection I think.

#50 3 years ago

Ehoh, so much better now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (Firm)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-le-or-elvira-s-house-of-horrors-le?hl=airplanequartet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.