thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

496 posts in this topic match your search for posts by winteriscoming. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

THERE ARE NO LISTS. PLEASE DON'T ASK TO BE PUT ON ONE.

Current Status: 9/19/2018: Work has begun on creating a 3D printed t-rex so that I can scale up production and offer them to those who haven't been able to get one yet. I don't have an ETA.

Price is $400 shipped (in the US only). I am currently only shipping within the US. Payment by mailed check or money order is preferred.

There is no longer an interest list. I will post when a batch is up for sale and you can PM to claim one at that time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
REQUIRED BEFORE YOU CAN USE THE NEW T-REX:
Your current t-rex needs to have a good Jaw Frame with the two metal tabs in the front. This is the metal that makes up the jaw and the existing plastic is riveted to it.
New Jaw Frames can be purchased at Marco Specialties:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-6641-00
*Note that the new t-rex requires you to drill out the rivet from the existing jaw. You may want to purchase a new jaw if the idea of drilling isn't appealing to you.

You also need to have a good condition Jaw Link. It needs to be free from repairs that make it thicker and it needs to have the tab at the top that hooks into the jaw.
New Jaw Links can be purchased from Marco or Pinball Life (probably some other retailers, too):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-6640-00
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=579
*Note that the jaw link requires a few extra parts including a roll pin and spring if you were trying to make a completely new one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation video:

Additional information not covered in the video at this time:
1. If you order the new Jaw from Marco Specialties, towards the front, behind the two tabs, you may need to bend the front edges of the sides out to keep the ball from getting stuck in the jaw when the t-rex picks it up.
2. Make sure the back of the t-rex is not making contact with the dino collar (the U-shaped peice behind the t-rex). That piece is held on by 3 screws that are accessible when the t-rex is bent down. You may need to adjust the position or bend the tabs a little to get the collar moved back. Some have even notched the holes to get it to move back. I'm sorry if you run into this issue. It was something I had accommodated for in the final sculpture to work on my machine, but likely due to some variation in the playfields, still seems to be an issue for some people.

Post showing an impact test with a hammer:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/23#post-2540776

Post showing text of warranty information:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/23#post-2545324

10/25 Update: 4 finished t-rexes are available. PM your email address to me if interested. Please also read over this post.

10/12 Update: The interest list is being eliminated in favor of selling on a first-come first-served basis as batches become available. While I am phasing out the interest list, I have been in touch with those who are still on the list and had claim to a t-rex in Run 1.

6/5 Update: I have reached out to the first 15 people on the wait list to confirm they are still interested and gave an ETA on when I think theirs will be ready for shipping.

5/29 Update: The new molds were successfully made and the first production run has begun.

5/23 Update: The pilot period is over. Changes were incorporated into the sculpture and new molds are being made.

2/18 Update: New video of the latest version with several successful pickups in a row. It's still a prototype at this point. It will be on display at the Louisville Arcade Expo in March for further testing before finalizing.

1/16 Update: A couple of prototype versions have been sent to members of the pilot group for testing before the final version will be produced.

Here's a vid of a finished t-rex (prototype) (12/13):

Before and AfterBefore and After

Here's a pic of the latest progress as of 12/2/2014:
_IGP3150.JPG_IGP3150.JPG

Everything below the line is from the original post:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

In an effort to improve the look of the T-REX in my JP, I've come up with the idea of making an improved skin out of silicone that will stretch over the original.

The first task was to make a cast of the original. Then I need to build what the new skin will look like, make a mold of it, and cast it in silicone and see if it works.

The idea is that the replacement skin will just fit1 over the existing T-REX, requiring no changes to it.

Attached is a pic of an initial mock-up to see if a better T-REX can even be sculpted on top of the old. I think it can, but the original doesn't provide an easy platform for doing this with its squat and wide nose. I'm extending the nose out a bit, and hope this won't cause issues with picking up the ball. It will be a soft material, so if it gets pushed into the playfield when picking up, it will hopefully at least compress enough to allow the ball to be picked up normally.

I'll post progress updates.

IMG_20131010_233009.jpgIMG_20131010_233009.jpg

#7 10 years ago

A minor update. Still working on getting the overall shape of the head. I want it to read T-REX more than the original, but also look as much like the movie version as possible. The profile can be made to look ok, but the front view is going to be a challenge, because the bottom jaw needs to be much narrower even than the original T-REX that's underneath, so that's not going to happen... I'm hoping it will still look good from the front.

So far I'm mostly just working on the side that is shown in the photo, so I'll post different angles when I get further along.

IMG_20131012_201132.jpgIMG_20131012_201132.jpg

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from NFK:

Do you think it's possible to add teeth?

Yeah, I'll be adding teeth for sure! I don't think they'll be an issue. It will all be made out of silicone, so the ball should just be able to push through the teeth when eaten.

#15 10 years ago

Thanks to all for the compliments so far.

A few more pics of progress. I've roughed out the other side of the head and I'm working to balance out both sides. Any details seen at this stage are just for reference as I'll end up changing the overall shape until it's just right, then details will be added in.

I'm encouraged that the front view looks enough like a T-REX to keep going with this project.

IMG_20131013_192508.jpgIMG_20131013_192508.jpg IMG_20131013_192528.jpgIMG_20131013_192528.jpg IMG_20131013_192546.jpgIMG_20131013_192546.jpg
#22 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Sweet!
Now we just need a new dinosaur for the lwjp egg

If I ever get one, I'll get right to work on that!

3 weeks later
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Any update here?

I'm hoping I get to work on it more tonight.

#27 10 years ago

I'm experimenting with scales. Not sure yet if this is the way I'll end up doing them.

IMG_20131108_224430.jpgIMG_20131108_224430.jpg
#33 10 years ago

I'm working out a method for scales that I like a lot better. You'll see them particularly in the center of the picture.

IMG_20131109_150222.jpgIMG_20131109_150222.jpg
#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Looking good dibs on first one you sell please

Quoted from vegemite_nick:

Very nice! Hope you proceed to produce these, I'd like to upgrade mine to something a little more scary!!

Let me get further into it before I make any promises. I like the idea of making extras to sell, but I have no idea at this point if it's even going to work out or if the process to make extras takes way more time than I'd be able to recoup in sales.

#43 10 years ago

Finished up some more scales. It's going to take a bit to fill it out, and I'm thinking I might try a less detailed mock-up, make a mold of it and see if the overall idea works before finishing this one. If it doesn't work, I'll have to change my approach, which will likely require a different sculpture.

IMG_20131110_192607.jpgIMG_20131110_192607.jpg
#47 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The silicone won't work in the game tho. Looks great, but there is no way he'll be able to pick up the ball anymore. the nose extends too far out. Visually it looks great but just won't work.

I did mention this in my original post and hope to accommodate for it. I'm aware it is extending out more, but if solid silicone won't work, it doesn't have to be solid out in front of the nose. It can be hollow and would compress when the T-REX eats the ball. We'll see.

#48 10 years ago

But Grandpa said all the dinosaurs were girls...

#57 10 years ago

I'm going to try a different approach that I think I'll be much happier with.

I feel too restricted trying to make a better T-REX shape over the old one, and there's the risk that the nose will stick out too far. I think if I just replace the old one altogether, I'll have a lot more freedom to make it look the best it can, and have a better chance for the T-REX to successfully eat. Plus I'll end up being able to sculpt in polymer clay that can be hardened, ensuring I can sufficiently do tests before getting too far into it. With a hardened sculpture in the end, it will be easier to make a mold, and I can do casts in hard plastic rather than a soft rubber, which will make it easier to paint, and therefore reproduce if I think it's reasonable.

If this works out, the end result will be a complete replacement for the 3 plastic pieces on the T-REX (head/back, front, and jaw) and the metal for the lower jaw. The rest of the underlying frame and mechanisms will remain.

One of the things I'm going to change is that wide lower jaw. It needs to be much narrower to look more like a T-REX. Here's my prototype replacement cut out of steel and bent into shape. I'll be able to install this back in the game as-is to test that it can pick up the ball. I've confirmed through manually actuating the jaw that the ball will slide down the narrow jaw just fine.

IMG_20131113_211335.jpgIMG_20131113_211335.jpg

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I was the same way.
Checked out some of the many mod thread here on pinside and was like ok... That's it. I'm getting one. lol.
Just got it this week after 7 weeks of searching.

Congrats! It's an exciting time to own one with the code changes ChadH is working on and all the mods you can do.

I'll do my best to figure out a good way to reproduce my mod if I can get it to work out. My big concern with this new route would be reproducing the metal for the jaw since I don't have good tools for bending the metal, nor do I have anything on my CNC machine that can cut steel. My prototype was cut with a cutting disc on a rotary tool and bent with a vise grip and a small vise and hammer. Definitely not something I'd want to make a ton of with this method...

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from nike2001:

Til then I' ll do it with my dental protease

Mine will have teeth! Even with the new method, I've got an idea for how to it can have good looking, sculpted teeth.

#72 10 years ago

Here's my mock-up over the frame. I think I'm able to get a much better overall shape with this method, so I'll continue on.

After some tweaks, I confirmed that my smaller jaw works, and even better than the original one did for me. With the original jaw, sometimes the ball would get caught in the mouth and stay there during gameplay, this one looks like it shoots it right down the throat pretty quickly.

My next task is to basically finish out the lower jaw, including details, and harden it before doing the rest. That way it won't get messed up, and I'll be able to open and close the jaw to make sure the clay on the rest of the head is leaving room for the jaw movement. However, once the jaw is hardened, I'll also be able to install the T-REX back in the game and test that it still eats the ball, especially when there's some additional padding on the nose making it back up just a bit further.

IMG_20131115_223252.jpgIMG_20131115_223252.jpg
IMG_20131115_223317.jpgIMG_20131115_223317.jpg

1 week later
#75 10 years ago

I don't have anything worth taking a picture of, but I've been doing a lot of experimentation.

I've got an idea for teeth that I'm pretty sure will work, but I've run into a lot of issues in making a mold and casting in the material I want to use due to not having a vacuum chamber. I want to test that my idea for teeth will work before really progressing further into the final sculpture. I've gone ahead and ordered what I need for a vacuum chamber and will hopefully be able to make better progress after that. I've needed one for a long time, but just never really got around to putting one together.

#77 10 years ago

Might as well give a teaser... or is that a teeth-er?

Vacuum chamber stuff's on its way as well as some more casting materials.

IMG_20131125_213252.jpgIMG_20131125_213252.jpg
#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

If you own a SINGLE pinball machine: you have excess.

... or debt!

#91 10 years ago

Aww... come on! I thought the 6 unread posts I was going to see were people cheering me on!

I got the lid for my vacuum chamber in yesterday and the large pot that will act as the chamber comes in today. I'll head to HF soon and pick up a vacuum pump and I should be all set. Not sure if I'll actually get to work on anything today, though. I'll post back if I've got anything interesting to share.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from smoke:

awsome! dreaming of a scary T -Rex for Christmas.
Peace, B.

We'll see. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to get it together before then.

I made many attempts at casting teeth in silicone and finally have a good method down. I had one positive test where the T-REX picked up the ball with the teeth in and then the lower jaw crumbled and fell apart! That's a drawback of testing with polymer clay, but it's the most effective way I know of getting a test together quickly. A few other tests lead me to believe I need to extend the lower jaw out some more which means I have to cut some more metal, bend it, and sculpt on top of it. I'm optimistic this is going to work out, but I have no idea how long it's going to take.

#96 10 years ago

I can't imagine the kind of testing that went into getting the stock T-REX designed. I've modified, remade, and reinstalled my narrower jaw many times. I'm probably going to go back to the original jaw. That will decrease production times and costs and I'll at least have a confirmed working jaw. Based on my first sculpture, I think a decent T-REX can be sculpted over the original jaw.

After looking closely I noticed that the bottom lip on the original plastic jaw is a bit chewed up. This happens because the jaw hits the switch lever in the kickout hole. Are others noticing this wear in theirs? That same thing is going to happen with the replacement as well.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Yes I have even replaced my lower jaw and I'm noticing it becoming worn again,
I keep touching it up with paint and every month it wears off,
So many JP's have that "chip" in the lower jaw, Mine did and now with the new jaw it looks like (give it 20 more years) the new one I just put in will have the same,

I wonder if there's a way to lower the switch so that it doesn't stick up so high. That or come up with some other less knife-like kickout hole.

Maybe that hunter guy from the second JP movie is down there slowly cutting away at the T-REX every chance he gets and making it bleed out...

#100 10 years ago

Here's a successful test! I think I'm getting there with something that will work.

IMG_20131207_003757.jpgIMG_20131207_003757.jpg
#103 10 years ago

Another successful test.

IMG_20131207_131509.jpgIMG_20131207_131509.jpg
#109 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looking good. How do you think those teeth will hold up from picking up the ball? That's going to be tricky.

They're silicone. I'd think they'd last a while, but time will tell. The only ones that will be kind of stressed are the ones right in front that will get compressed between the ball and the metal jaw. At any rate, they won't be too bad to reproduce, so in the event that I sell this mod, I could potentially sell replacement teeth for cheap.

#111 10 years ago

Teeth on both top and bottom...

These aren't the final teeth, by the way. Still testing and getting things figured out before finalizing.

IMG_20131207_212452.jpgIMG_20131207_212452.jpg
#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Looks amazing! TAKE MY MONEY

You ain't seen nothin' yet... Things will hopefully keep getting better and better.

#118 10 years ago

Lots of scales...

IMG_20131215_113258.jpgIMG_20131215_113258.jpg
3 weeks later
#132 10 years ago

I took a break from this project over the holidays (even though I went into my vacation fully expecting to be able to spend time on it), but will hopefully be able to devote more time to it this week. I'll be sure to post more pictures when I've got something worth showing.

4 weeks later
#134 10 years ago

Since I kind of feel accountable to the people who have commented here and shown interest in this project, I just wanted to come in and say I've been slacking on this, but will finish it. I had family over recently, and had to re-install the original T-REX and have enjoyed being able to play JP again and haven't taken it back out to continue working on it. I'm also getting married in a couple of months, and I'm too much of a DIYer to spend money on paying someone else to do or make a lot of the stuff associated with the wedding, so a lot of my time is being devoted to that for now.

Anyway, the T-REX will eventually be finished (when my future wife allows me some free time ).

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Wife? There goes your pinball collection....sorry for your loss...haha

Not a chance! Luckily I've got a good sized house with a full basement, so there's plenty of room for the games outside of other living areas. I've gotten her interested in pinball, too. She's a huge fan of the LOTR and Hobbit movies and hopes we get a LOTR pinball some day (maybe a NIB Hobbit if we can swing it... ).

2 months later
#144 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Please take my money...

I will gladly take your money when I have something to sell!

The plan is to get back into this next month. I'm contemplating a re-sculpt after what I've learned so far, and I discovered a new sculpting material that I think will stand up better to testing. I also hope to make it look even better. I can't wait until I get to the point of being able to paint one.

Don't worry, everyone, I can't wait to get a better looking T-REX in my game, so I'm in the same boat as you!

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I would be willing to pay in advance. Ya know... JJP style... you take my money... use it... post updates every few months... I get what I paid for 3-4 years later. People do it for thousands... why not you do it for hundreds? LOL!!
But seriously, you could crowdfund the heads and R&D costs in advance in exchange for a first run dibs on the finished project. I am 100% sure that we would all fund it for you. Just decide how much you need to get... ya know... to push it off the backburner.

I can fund the project. That's not holding me up. Besides, I don't want to actually be accountable to you guys! Then you'll really put the pressure on!

Honestly, though, I don't want to take any money from anyone until I know I've got something I think will hold up and I'm proud to put my name on.

1 month later
#157 9 years ago

Nothing more to share, yet. I hope to have something worth showing soon.

#162 9 years ago

The prospect of making money on this mod is a good motivator. Pinball is an expensive addiction that I've dropped a ton more cash on than I expected to since getting into it a year and a half ago.

2 weeks later
#168 9 years ago

Here's a bit of an update.

One of the hangups on this project has been the scales, both in the time it takes with the current material and my overall dissatisfaction with them. I'm trying out a new material that, if it works, will make the rest of the sculpting process go much quicker. Also, if it works, I'm going to end up resculpting all scales as I can knock out some good looking scales quickly that should also be a bit more conducive to the mold making process.

The new material takes 24 hours to cure, so I'll know more tomorrow...

In case it's not obvious, the new material is white, and adheres well over the existing sculpture.

IMG_20140604_213746.jpgIMG_20140604_213746.jpg

#174 9 years ago

Well, yeah, that's one of the hangups, too! I just can't decide if I really want scales or feathers...

#178 9 years ago

The new material, which is an epoxy putty, is working out really well. I'm able to put a thin layer of it over the previous sculpture and get better results for the scales. The other material is polymer clay that hardens with heat. So for the rest of this project, I should be able to get the underlying form done in polymer clay and then follow up with the epoxy for some scales.

Even though the epoxy makes it easier for me to do scales quickly, it is a difficult material to work with since it's tacky and stays pretty soft for a long time. That means I can only use it in sections at a time, per day, that allow me to still handle the sculpture without messing anything up.

At any rate, I'm liking the results so far and am confident this will yeild a good final sculpture.

After I finish up the head, I'll move on to the body.

IMG_20140606_181807.jpgIMG_20140606_181807.jpg
IMG_20140606_181846.jpgIMG_20140606_181846.jpg

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Is the weight of your mod roughly around the same as the existing plastic t-rex that's on the game ? I just know these motors are notoriously crappy any extra strain wouldn't be ideal. What's going to be used for the eyes, glass ? Out side of that so far cosmetically looks like it's coming along verrry nicely. Your T-rex design aka Stan Winstons is what the game should of had instead of Data East's version. I'm in for one on my JP depending on price point. Do you have a ball park price in mind yet ? feel free to PM me when it's done and add me to your list if your taking user names.

I won't know anything about final weight until I've made a mold and cast it. It shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't decided what to do for the eyes yet. I like the idea of glass eyes, but at the size I need, I don't think I'm going to find any that are detailed enough. The ones I'm seeing look like there's no consistency in quality: ebay.com link: 12 PAIR 3mm 8mm Glass Eyes Wire Loops Choose size color Teddy Bears LP 201

I won't know prices until I've produced some. I have to figure in material costs and how long it takes to finish one. I may end up selling them in a few different tiers: unpainted for those who want to DIY, standard paint job, and premium paint job. Again, I won't know until I get that far. At the end of the day, the money I make producing them has to be worth my time or I won't be making them.

#185 9 years ago

A little closer... I wish the epoxy didn't take so long to cure, but it's kind of nice being restricted to small sections at a time since I can work on it here and there and then not worry about messing it up later.

IMG_20140608_123358.jpgIMG_20140608_123358.jpg

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Also... What ever happened to someone making the gates on the ramp open up like in the movie ? Instead of just a plastic flat piece above the ramp... I coulda sworn I read someone was going to make that mod.

I thought I had read that one in the JP Mods thread, and someone even had the beginnings of a good-looking LED-lit gate. You might post there and ask. I don't want to commit to another project before finishing the T-REX, but it's something I'd potentially be interested in doing.

#188 9 years ago

A bit more progress...

I spent a while today sculpting a new version of the top of the head and then compared to this one since there are a few things I don't like about it. After comparing the two, I realized the lack of eyes was throwing me off, so now I see that what I didn't like is fixable on the current sculpture.
IMG_20140611_175629.jpgIMG_20140611_175629.jpg
IMG_20140611_175647.jpgIMG_20140611_175647.jpg

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Wasn't Matt at BAC working on one of these too? Look under the link "In the works" from the left side navigation.http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

I can't speak to his project.

#194 9 years ago

I moved the crest on top of the head back some and made it less pronounced. To do this I had to grind down a lot of the top and re-sculpt. I like it better and it's also more symmetrical from the front now.

I may just be able to finish up the head tomorrow.

IMG_20140612_133021.jpgIMG_20140612_133021.jpg
IMG_20140612_132850.jpgIMG_20140612_132850.jpg
IMG_20140612_132924.jpgIMG_20140612_132924.jpg

#201 9 years ago

Ok, so the T-REX had been a little too well fed, and needed to slim down. She got something of a face-lift! Here's progressive pics. The first is before, the second after the grinding, and the third after the re-sculpt.
T-REX Face-Lift.jpgT-REX Face-Lift.jpg

Re-sculpting set me back another day, but I did make some more progress. It may be tomorrow before I finish with the head, but even then, I may find something I need to change. My method right now has been to study the sculpture and pictures I've taken of it, compare it to my PAPO T-REX, and figure out what I need to change.
IMG_20140613_141202.jpgIMG_20140613_141202.jpg
IMG_20140613_141306.jpgIMG_20140613_141306.jpg

#204 9 years ago

Here's another progress pic. The first is the profile from yesterday, the second is a rough drawing (in MS Paint, the best art program of all time! ) of the changes I needed to make, and the third is after the changes.
T-REX Profile Progress.jpgT-REX Profile Progress.jpg

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Looking awesome. I'm super curious how you're going to make it work for other people's machines though.

If it works in mine, why wouldn't it work for others? After I'm finished sculpting and testing, I'll make a mold and cast replicas. It will install in place of the existing T-REX shell using the same screws and holes.

Quoted from aobrien5:

Here's my problem with this mod. This thing looks so awesome and detailed that I don't know how you would possibly be able to price it at a point where my cash strapped ass could afford it! Just looks superb.

Well, I'm not necessarily looking to recoup time spent on the sculpture. I'm more interested in reimbursement for the time it takes to cast and paint one along with material costs.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

So you're sayin there's a chance...

Maybe...

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh I was still thinking you were trying to make a "skin" like you had talked about before. This sounds more like straight up replacement parts now? It's looking great, hope it all works out.

Yeah, the idea is replacement parts now. The skin idea was scrapped months ago. Looking back through this thread, all the pics starting with the brown sculpture were working towards replacement.

I just updated the first post to reflect the change from the original goal in case there's any confusion.

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

getting closer and closer to... "Ian!! FREEEEZE!"

ROARRRR-266.jpg 113 KB

Nooooo.... Now I have to grind and re-sculpt some more!

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I also thought it looks great! however the picture I posted was Universal Studios Florida one going soon I can't wait it's one of my favorite rides in the park... However the screen used one that Stan Winston Designed looks the best... see the minor comparisons here:

Close up detail of Stan Winston:

I would Imagine most people would want it as accurate to the screen used version. Again to reiterate I freakin' love it thus far ! Yours was starting to look very similar to poseidon Studios version... http://poseidonyoung.blogspot.com/

stan_vs_universal.jpg 92 KB

tn_DSC_1041-1.jpg 75 KB

8632843_7.jpg 198 KB

8632843_6.jpg 114 KB

Yeah, I want it to look as much like the movie version as possible. I have some more work to do to get it there. I think the PAPO T-REX looks like it was based off of the Stan Winston one, and it's the only 3D reference I currently have.

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yours looks GREAT!!

The grinding has already happened.

I didn't get a chance to re-sculpt today, but will hopefully be able to do more tomorrow.

My #1 motivation in this project is to get a great looking T-REX in my game, so my hope is that if I can make one that I'm happy with, hopefully everyone else will be, too.

Motivation #2 is to get this project finished since I won't be able to play my JP again until then!

#223 9 years ago

Thanks all for the encouragement. It's a great motivator.

Quoted from mrclean:

I think the teeth will really be one of the hardest challenges incorporating the look while keeping the functionality. I'm wondering are these going to be 3d printed plastic, will the end user need to paint them ?

The teeth should end up working fine. Check out some of the older posts in this thread where I ran some tests.

I'll end up making a mold of my final sculpture and casting it, so no 3D printing. I don't believe 3D printing would be able to give the detail I'm hoping to get in the end result. I'll probably sell painted ones and ones that aren't if anyone wants to DIY.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

So your obviously intending on making a bunch of different ones / having various options awesome! Do you have any idea as to roughly what your thinking cost wise on these two variations ? insert shut up and take my money image here.
Gate that opens on the ramp like in the movie, with flickering led flame effect to mirror the movie for your next JP mod hehe "What do they have in there King Kong ?"
Probably have a hinged spring loaded gate to open both ways should the ball not make it up the ramp etc... Do flickering flame effect LED's exist ?

Another idea that's floating through my head is have the ball enter a raptors mouth similar to Metallica Pinball....
Raptor Pit....ball shoots in and outta mouth fast!
Metallica -

gate-of-jurassic-park.jpg 276 KB

4097876177_685239755f.jpg 34 KB

ae11fd_d837140956c140049298e60d1... 37 KB

Let's just focus on the T-REX right now. If I allow myself to start thinking about another project, I'll just get distracted.

No ballparks on pricing yet. I won't know until I get into the production phase.

#228 9 years ago

Here's today's update. I'm a bit closer, but I still have some adjustments to make so that it looks more like the movie version. There are a few spots here and there that need scales put back after grinding it down. Also, the eyes are just placeholders for the time being and will end up with lids like are shown in some of the other pics.
IMG_20140615_224103.jpgIMG_20140615_224103.jpg
IMG_20140615_224131.jpgIMG_20140615_224131.jpg

I didn't get a profile of the left side, but here's a flipped profile of the right side so you can see the overall progression.
T-REX Profile Progress 2.jpgT-REX Profile Progress 2.jpg

#230 9 years ago

A little progress. There are still some things that need to be done to finish up the head. I'll keep studying it to determine if more adjustments need to be made. Maybe I'll be on to the body by the weekend.

IMG_20140617_185837.jpgIMG_20140617_185837.jpg
IMG_20140617_185903.jpgIMG_20140617_185903.jpg
IMG_20140617_185914.jpgIMG_20140617_185914.jpg

#235 9 years ago

I like doing these progression pics. It's interesting to me to notice the differences with each step. I can look back at each one and remember thinking that I finally had it only to look at it a while later and decide it wasn't good enough. I feel the best about the latest version, but we'll see how I feel about it in a couple days.

She's evolving!
T-REX Profile Progress 3.jpgT-REX Profile Progress 3.jpg

Quoted from Pinfidel:

Wow! This is coming out amazing! Great job OP. If you can get them priced between $50 and $100 bucks, you'll sell hundreds.
GL the rest of the way.

I'm not sure if I'll come out ahead if I end up going that low. We'll see.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Will it be able to withstand a ball hit? I know it's rare but I seem to recall it happening on my machine once.

I sure hope so. It will depend on the material I cast it in. It will be thicker than the original, for sure, so I don't think it should be an issue.

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Man, this is some intense R&D.This has prolly taken at least 50+ work hours to get just this far. Then he still has the teeth to add, the paint and texture of the dinosaur to finalize, and then still install it into the machine. And we all know how a decent number of people feel about even tinkering with the stock TREX ....This is a pretty massive undertaking.The fact that some prices for TAF mods like Uncle Fester are around $115 (http://www.pinballdecals.com/TAF_UncleFesterPage.html), if he priced this thing at $200, I would 100% fully understand. This is a HUGE improvement over that ding-bat brachiosaur that eats the ball (yes guys, I know it's a TREX, but...just...look at it D: ....).The only thing that really hurts him is this isn't Tron, TAF, or TZ - some title that people go nuts with mods. His market could be decently small - even with 9000+ units out there.

The other thing to keep in mind is that every step is a manual process. It's not like coming up with a translite or making a new ROM where there's a lot of initial work, but production runs are relatively simple (i.e. send to the printer or ROM burner). This project will likely need at least 3, but maybe 4, 2-part molds and then I'll have to measure and mix the casting material and pour into each mold, which may not yeild usable peices each time. Then each peice has to be cleaned up. Then I have to paint each one. We could be talking about a few hours of time devoted to each T-REX. If I was only getting paid for time, let alone material costs, $100 isn't going to cut it. I might be able to cast a few and paint them all at once, but I don't know. I'll know more once I get to that point. At the end of the day, if I have to set it at a price that no one will pay, I simply won't sell them. This project isn't intended to put food on my table. My main goal is to get a nice T-REX in my game.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

$200, er $199.95

Quoted from FishPharm:

Anyone who owns this game is going to want one of these. You have STTNG mods out there that are nearly $200 and all it is is some wiring. Some car mods for CFTBL are like $300. This is a sculpted and hand painted piece that I think could sell for $300 to $400. I don't even own a JP (yet) and I will buy one.

All I can say at this point is that the price will be somewhere between $100 and $1,000,000.

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I'd love to buy one to paint myself. I enjoy these sort of projects, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Got an airbrush ready to go. That could save you some time.

I plan to have that as an option.

#254 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, I tell people who are doing even that kind of mass producible mod to make sure they're charging properly for it, because just managing orders is a lot of work. You might be surprised how much time I spend on my translite stuff even though I don't have to hand print each one myself.I love making pinball people happy, but you hit a point where it's a second job, you're constantly answering emails, updating spreadsheets, taping up boxes and packing them, going to the post office, etc etc. Not bitching! Just saying, you're dead on saying you've got to cover your time, charge what your time and effort is worth and let people decide if that's the right price for them or not. Obviously the key point is your creative efforts, just saying, don't forget the 'grunt work' part counts too, on top of the actual hand production process you have to manage.

You make good points that I'll have to keep in mind.

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

depending on price I may get one of these - and I don't even own JP (yet)....

Not to discourage anyone from buying, but if you don't have the game to install it in, know that the finished product isn't going to be a stand-alone figure you can display on a shelf. It will only be held together by going onto the existing T-REX frame that's in the game.

#264 9 years ago

No updates for this weekend. I'll hopefully get some more time to devote to this project in the coming days.

#270 9 years ago

Can we please stop discussing pricing?

I'm not interested in what other modders charge. I'm not competing against them... unless they come out with a T-REX? Even then, I dont care. In fact, even if someone else released a similar product before I finished, I would still continue with mine. I'm not in this as a business. I want an awesome T-REX in MY game, and it seemed like no one else was going to do it, so I decided to make the best looking one I could for my game. Sure, making extras and making money on this project has its appeal, but I have a full time job that pays my bills, I was recently married, and I have many time-consuming things I like to do in my free time, so my free time is valuable to me. When I eventually finish this project and get an idea of how long it takes to produce one, I'll be sure to let everyone know the price. You can then decide if it's worth your money. I will not commit to any price at this time.

Thanks,
Jim

#274 9 years ago

Ugh... I really hate having to be restricted by the existing frame. There's no way this can end up with a natural looking T-REX pose. I think when installed the focus is mainly on the head, though, so hopefully it doesn't look too ridiculous when finished.

IMG_20140625_231222.jpgIMG_20140625_231222.jpg

#278 9 years ago

I got the two shells for the front and back of the neck/body hardened and removable. This involved baking the entire frame with the two parts on it to harden them. Then I had to crack them to get them removed. Then I glued them back together, ground down the inside to make it easier to slide on and off of the frame, and then patched areas that crumbled.

I should now have a platform on which the scales and other details for the body will be placed.

I still have to build up something so that the back of the neck meets the back of the head, but I have to figure out how I want to do that. Ultimately the top of the head and the back shell need to be one piece since they're all held on by one screw, but I may end up having to cast them separately and fuse them together after since keeping them together would require a more complex mold.

IMG_20140630_113652.jpgIMG_20140630_113652.jpgIMG_20140630_113712.jpgIMG_20140630_113712.jpg

1 week later
#281 9 years ago

I keep checking back here to see if this project is finished yet... oh... wait...

No pics worth sharing at the moment. I'm still figuring out how I want to detail the neck/body. I have sculpted some of the front neck, but I'm not all that happy with it.

#283 9 years ago

I find myself just getting one or two nights a week to myself and it really sucks when inspiration and free time don't sync up...

I don't want my extreme urge for this project to be finished to make me rush through and end up with a less than stellar body (T-REX's body, not mine ), so I'm going to take a bit of a break from it and come at it with a more level head hopefully next week. I really want it to look the best I can make it, and sometimes that requires giving it a bit of time and coming back at it with a fresh perspective.

I'll post pics when there's more progress worth sharing. Sorry for any who are anxiously awaiting completion. I WILL finish this project but I'm not going to promise it will be finished by any certain date. I do promise it will be something I'm proud of in the end.

1 month later
#290 9 years ago

Just posting to reaffirm my commitment to this project. Originally lack of motivation was causing me to take a break, then a few life events, and most recently a shorter term personal project that I've nearly finalized (arcade related). I have to allow myself to work on other things or I'll get burnt out.

I'll be back to old rexy girl soon.

4 weeks later
#293 9 years ago

Still working on this, but I blame my current lack of progress on project machines I keep getting that are more instantly gratifying.

My JP, my favorite game, is unplayable until I finish this project, so I am still motivated to get it finished.

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Its not unplayable, just turn off the TRex, I know that's an option. If you quit messing around with all of your other silly projects you would have this done already

Its not installed at all. The ball would probably get stuck up in the void or fall down into the cabinet, not that I've tried.

I guess I can rephrase and vow, "I will not play my JP until I finish this project."

1 week later
#298 9 years ago

I feel like I've been patient enough. This guy needs to post an update!

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

This mod will be released June 12th 2015, when Jurassic World is released.

That's not an unrealistic date to hit. Maybe Stern will buy it from me and put it in their Jurassic World pin!

1 week later
#304 9 years ago

Finally some progress from this slacker!

Still working on the neck and body...

IMG_20141018_025459.jpgIMG_20141018_025459.jpg
IMG_20141018_025519.jpgIMG_20141018_025519.jpg
IMG_20141018_025535.jpgIMG_20141018_025535.jpg
IMG_20141018_025546.jpgIMG_20141018_025546.jpg

#305 9 years ago

Uh oh... I don't want to commit to this yet, but I think I've come up with a way that she can have arms!

#308 9 years ago

Progress!

I still have some more to do before this part is finished, like blend the divide between the back of the neck and the head and redo some areas.

IMG_20141019_203551.jpgIMG_20141019_203551.jpg
IMG_20141019_203529.jpgIMG_20141019_203529.jpg
IMG_20141019_203510.jpgIMG_20141019_203510.jpg

#311 9 years ago

Smaug is a little off topic. Let's please keep this thread about this project and comments/opinions about other games' toys elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jim

#313 9 years ago

I guess I chose the wrong time to post updated progress. I'm getting burried under Expo threads!

No pics for today, but I've confirmed the latest additions are in-tact and hardened. I had a bit of a scare when I noticed movement in the underlying polymer clay shell on the back that I had originally superglued together. I guess the epoxy and dried super glue weren't getting along.

I'm not happy with the scales in some areas and will end up re-doing them, but that shouldn't take too long.

I might install it this weekend for a test to confirm it can work in this current state. I will have to hot glue the top of the head onto the frame or something for a temporary bond since it's not currently attached to the back/neck like it will be in the end.

1 week later
#319 9 years ago

I went ahead and joined the back and top of the head. Even though it will make the mold more complex, it will make for a stronger piece in the end.

I've still got some spots to fix up, but I'll hopefully be finished with this part of the sculpting soon. Then it's on to teeth and mold-making.

IMG_20141101_225154.jpgIMG_20141101_225154.jpg

#321 9 years ago

Eat this!

IMG_20141102_121705.jpgIMG_20141102_121705.jpg

1 week later
#338 9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

I worked today on improving scales in some areas. I'll move on to finalizing teeth soon.

Just so we're clear, the current sculpture will not get painted. It will be used for making molds for casting in another material.
IMG_20141109_201127.jpgIMG_20141109_201127.jpg

#341 9 years ago

Test teeth...

IMG_20141113_212544.jpgIMG_20141113_212544.jpg

These's aren't the final teeth (obviously not the final color,either), at least not in the top. These are from the same mold I made for much earlier tests. I think they look like good bottom teeth, but I'll have to sculpt some different ones for the top and figure out the best consistent way to secure them in place.

After having it sit in the game and studying it from the player's perspective I noticed some things that needed to be changed, so I worked on some improvements to the head. The front edge and the top of the crest have been altered and softened up a bit. I also lowered the top edges of the back of the head behind the brows.

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from gac:

First let me say that this is nothing short of awesome! Not to be Debbie Downer but does the new T-Rex pick the ball up (have enough clearance) when the metal guard is installed in front of it on the playfield? Just a thought if it hadn't been tested with the metal part there. Believe me, when this is done, I'm all in. Great work.

That's not a bad question and definitely worth confirming. I'm not too concerned, but this is a great time to test it, just in case. I'll install the plate and the collar for the next video. Should actually be able to do that pretty quickly.

#358 9 years ago

Here's a test with all the surrounding hardware installed.

#363 9 years ago

If this doesn't make an appearance at LAX, there will be a riot

We'll see. I have to make molds and get one finished first. I wish it was as simple as just painting the one I have, but it's not made out of a material that I think will hold up, especially at an expo.

Edit: Having said that, I do hope to be able to have at least one finished by then.

#365 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Looks great... are you going to use glass eyes ? & if for sale are these going to be offered pre-painted to the end user ?

I haven't found any glass eyes of the right size that look any good. The eyes that are currently there are going to be part of the mold that gets made for the head. If someone wants to modify it further it would just be a matter of routing out the existing eye, installing the new eye and sculpting/painting lids around it.

I'll be able to make the existing eyes look good, though, so I'm not worried about it.

As stated in previous posts, I plan to offer unpainted and painted options. Let me get further into it before I commit to anything, though. I need to make sure I'm able to successfully cast them first.

#368 9 years ago

A comment I made in an earlier post was that I didn't like the throat and was planning to redo it.

Here we are:
IMG_20141114_140019.jpgIMG_20141114_140019.jpg
IMG_20141114_140057.jpgIMG_20141114_140057.jpg

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

So ready for this. Going to be one of the best mod upgrades of all time.

Quoted from spfxted:

Yes! ...this WILL rank right up there with the Greatest Mods Ever Created! Nice work!

We'll see...

Talk about pressure!

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from gac:

First let me say that this is nothing short of awesome! Not to be Debbie Downer but does the new T-Rex pick the ball up (have enough clearance) when the metal guard is installed in front of it on the playfield? Just a thought if it hadn't been tested with the metal part there. Believe me, when this is done, I'm all in. Great work.

By the way, thanks for the suggestion. When I installed it for the latest video, I didn't realize the back of the dino was getting caught on the dino collar! I had to grind her back down some. She fits fine now.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Here's a reminder of how the original looks... just to compare and see how great the new one looks!

Ha, any time I start to not like my current sculpture, I look back at the original and feel a lot better!

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Googly eyes mod?
Axl

You might be on to something. You'll have to pay me a premium for this upgrade, though.
T-rex googly eyes.pngT-rex googly eyes.png

#381 9 years ago

I just wanted to point out when glass eyes get as small as I'd need them for this project, they end up looking like googly eyes... There also isn't enough consistency in their appearance for me to think they'd look better than what I'm planning to do.
Small glass eyes.pngSmall glass eyes.png

#385 9 years ago

I'm at the stage now where I'm making molds (or I want to). Unfortunately it's going to take a lot more material than I had on hand... I prepped all the pieces and poured the molds for the chest/throat and the jaw, but that cleaned me out. One of them ended up not getting as much poured on it as I would have liked, so it may not even be a usable mold.

So far my biggest expense has been time since I had all the materials on hand, but at this point I'm going to have to invest money into the project to go any further.

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Lots of buyers are lined up when you get it done.

I'd consider taking pre-orders, but I can't guarantee a price at this point and I don't feel that comfortable taking the money up front.

I'd also consider a kick-starter campaign or something, but I don't know what incentives I could give for people to donate.

I'm more than likely going to figure out how to fund it on my own. That way I'm really only accountable to me (well and my wife, since I'll have to spend money outside of my personal budget... ).

#390 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

You could take deposits - like around $50 or so. This could be used to gauge interest, and hold the buyers place in line. ...just a thought.

I could, but I still don't know how much I need to charge to cover my time and material costs. I don't want to take a deposit from someone and then end up charging something they don't want to or can't pay when it's finished. There's also still some development and testing to do. I'd kind of like to have a proven example of what the finished product is before I commit to anything.

I'll figure out a way to fund it.

At any rate, one of the molds I made yesterday ended up being usable.
IMG_20141116_104013.jpgIMG_20141116_104013.jpg

This project is officially on hold until I get more materials. The head/back are prepared for pouring the mold, so I won't be able to take it out and continue to develop top teeth until after the mold is made... I'll hopefully be able to put an order in tomorrow, but have no clue how long it will take to receive.

#399 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I'll gladly bankroll R&D of this. Let me know.
Simply pay me back later once you've recouped your costs. No fine print. I'll pay retail on one later when you have a cost. And just so your aware... Don't be cheap... Charge what your time is worth. If this head is $300 each... So be it. How much is a custom painted sparky, like $600? lol
Let me know what you need for materials and I'll paypal it no questions asked. You can send it back some day in the future.
Don't let money stop you fom developing the best mod in pinball history.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Funny thing Jared, you beat me to it,
I was going to offer winteriscoming the same thing. Wanted to contact him directly about his funding shortfall first and offer to cover up to $600, provided that was about the extent of things.

You're both very generous! Thanks for the offers, but I talked to my wife and found a source for the immediate funds needed. Hopefully I'll be able to order materials to do the first run and recoup costs.

You're both very trusting, too. I could be pulling a long con here! I spend a year pretending to make a mod and then give you just enough to think I can actually pull this off, but then I say I can't fund it, collect funds from generous folks like you, and then dissapear.

#401 9 years ago

I put in the order for more casting material. Hopefully I receive it soon.

#407 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I put in the order for more casting material. Hopefully I receive it soon.

I just got a tracking number on my material order. Hopefully it gets picked up today and I get a delivery estimate soon. It's going from Chicago to Southern Indiana, so hopefully won't take too long. I ordered some pretty fast curing silicone rubber and resin, so I could be casting and painting one this weekend!

I'll still need to figure out final teeth (and an as yet unannounced feature I have planned), but I could be producing my initial run by the end of the year if things go well. I'll have a 2-week vacation at the end of the year and might be able to devote a good amount of time to production.

My current plan is to cast one, figure out and produce the final teeth, paint it as an example of the finished product, and then play-test for a bit before committing to a production run. During all of that I should get an idea of the time it takes to finish one and the price I need to charge to make it worth my while. Once I figure out pricing, I'll get a list of people who want to commit to the pilot run at the agreed-upon price. I'll probably keep the pilot run down to about 10 so that I can gather feedback and address any issues that may arise. I'll also need to document installation instructions. If everything goes well with the pilot group, I'll produce more as long as there's demand AND I continue to enjoy it. More details to come...

I've got a family gathering coming up in late December where I want to have all my games working, so I've got to get a finished T-rex in my JP by then! I'll be sure to share progress.

Thanks to all for the encouraging words and feedback. Your enthusiasm is a good motivator!
-Jim

#410 9 years ago

I just got a tracking number on my material order.

Should get the shipment on Wednesday! I can't wait!

#413 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Is there a waiting list we can sign up on?

Not yet. I won't start a list until I've got a proven product and a price locked in. Keep checking back. I'll definitely post when the pilot group is open, but I'll be posting pics of progress and a finished t-rex before I get there.

#416 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

I'm in as long as the cost is within reason.

That's why I'm not starting a list until I can lock down a price. I don't want to manage a list that people will potentially drop off of once they know the price.

Quoted from Crsdawg:

I know you don't want to get into this, but I think it would be a good idea to start an interest thread just to see how many people know about this project and are interested. I bet the number will be bigger than you realize and it would be valuable information to have as you consider pricing.

At this point I don't want to get overwhelmed with a list. Ultimately knowing how many people are interested won't change my costs in time and materials which will be my sole consideration when figuring out pricing, so it's not useful information to me yet.

Quoted from Crsdawg:

Is there any chance you would offer an unpainted version? I kinda like the idea of getting one and making it unique. Plus it could give your customers a lower cost option.

This has been addressed a couple times in this thread. I'm am pretty sure I want the pilot run to be all fully finished examples, though, to keep consistency during the pilot period. I'll want to get feedback pretty quickly during the pilot period, so my hope is that any participants will be able to install their new t-rex and begin playing pretty quickly after receiving it and give opinions/feedback on how the installation went and how it's working out in the game. Once I open up the pilot group for sign-ups, I'll have all the details about what is expected of a participant.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I don't want to get overwhelmed and side-tracked with the less interesting administrative side of this project yet, so I'm not going to respond directly to any more questions/comments about painted/unpainted versions, an interest list, the pilot group, or costs until after I get one finished and can prove I've actually got something to sell. I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, but please be patient while I work through the next phase and get to the point that started this whole project: I want an awesome t-rex in MY game!

Thanks,
Jim

#420 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Winter, I have an honest question:
Have you considered the "mechanical liability" of the TREX? I know some people are extremely nervous to mess with the TREX due to its tendency to get all out of whack when just looking at it wrong, muchtheless installing a whole new skin. Is this something owners can do without removing the whole assembly?
I'd just hate to see you do this level of work only to basically get a bunch of "My TREX is broken..." PMs.

It should be able to be installed while the t-rex is in the game. It's a matter of going into t-rex diagnostics, making it bend down all the way to unscrew the back/head, make it stand back up to unscrew the front, and then undo the jaw. Install in reverse order. I'll make detailed instructions and even an installation video.

I can for sure say that I am in no way going to be offering any kind of warranty that guarantees your t-rex will continue to function perfectly after installing this mod. There's no way I could. It will be installed at the owners own risk.

Anyone who's nervous about impact on the functionality of their t-rex need not purchase this mod.

#425 9 years ago

Materials shipment is out for delivery!

#427 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

There's nothing like tracking your shipments 10 times a day.......
Oh, the anticipation!

More like 10 times a minute! Not that it does me much good at this point... I'm at home today, so hopefully they knock, but I've checked tracking before to see that a package I was really looking forward to was delivered hours earlier on a day I was home.

#430 9 years ago

Let's get this party started!
IMG_20141119_114417.jpgIMG_20141119_114417.jpg

In retrospect, I probably should have ordered some smaller mixing containers, but I've got some that will work.

#439 9 years ago

I poured the molds tonight. Everything so far has cured correctly. I just got done pouring the second half of the head/back. The two smaller parts were poured as one block each and they will be cut out. If all goes well I'll be able to start casting tomorrow.

The gallon unit of silicone didn't go nearly as far as I thought it would. There's not enough left to redo anything, so it better work out or I will have to spend more money...

IMG_20141119_214410.jpgIMG_20141119_214410.jpgIMG_20141119_213059.jpgIMG_20141119_213059.jpgIMG_20141119_195528.jpgIMG_20141119_195528.jpgIMG_20141120_003536.jpgIMG_20141120_003536.jpg

#442 9 years ago
Quoted from Daniml:

Just curios, but how many pieces can you get from a mold before having to make a new one?

I don't know... I've never used this particular silicone, and there are many factors that go into it, but it was advertised as being strong and long-lasting. Does that mean 10? 100? 1000? I don't know. If they work, I'll continue using them as long as they retain their shape and detail.

#444 9 years ago

I'll hopefully get to pour the head/back soon, but here's what I've done so far.
IMG_20141120_113053.jpgIMG_20141120_113053.jpg

Unfortunately the original jaw broke while demolding. It's fixable if needed in the future. Everything else survived.

#446 9 years ago

Teaser time. Cross your fingers that this comes out correctly...
IMG_20141120_133255.jpgIMG_20141120_133255.jpg

As you might imagine, this is a pretty messy process.

#450 9 years ago

Boom!

IMG_20141120_134504.jpgIMG_20141120_134504.jpg
IMG_20141120_145103.jpgIMG_20141120_145103.jpg
IMG_20141120_145222.jpgIMG_20141120_145222.jpg

For the record, even just getting to this unpainted phase for one complete t-rex took a lot of hours today. It takes a while to clean off the flashing and extra bits that had to be built up for it to be able to stand and for vents when poured.

I also just realized that I'll have to test fit every peice I make before selling, so unless I get another t-rex frame, I'm not going to be able to play my game while manufacturing these...

#452 9 years ago

By the way, in case anyone's wondering why it's black, it's because I opted to use Smooth-On's Smooth-Cast Onyx which claims to be impact and heat resistant. Taking into consideration the potential heat of the coil in the back for the jaw movement, I thought this might be a good choice for this application.

#459 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

SOME ONE GET THIS MAN A T REX FRAME!

Quoted from Jared:

Someone send the man a T-Rex frame!!!

Does anyone happen to have a t-rex frame sitting in a drawer somewhere that I could borrow for a while? Ideally I'd need a frame and jaw with jaw link to be able to test fit everything properly.

#464 9 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Jim, I have my screwdriver in hand...

London-20141120-03215.jpg 115 KB

London-20141120-03214.jpg 137 KB

Big thanks to dnaman for offering to let me borrow a t-rex frame!

Been working on cloning some dinos...
IMG_20141120_205955.jpgIMG_20141120_205955.jpg

I'm going to cast as many as I can with the resin I have. It has a limited shelf life, so I'm going to use it up while I can. I have no idea how many that will produce. Not everything that was cast today ended up being usable, so we'll see how many complete units I get out of my current stock of materials. I've got measurements, mixing, pouring and demolding for each part pretty well figured out, so I'm producing them more efficiently now.

#475 9 years ago

We don't know the price yet. He doesn't want to lock in a price without knowing how much all the material will cost and time. He is also not taking any preorders at this time.

You're officially employed as this thread's bouncer!

I encourage everyone to READ all of my posts within the past week or so. Everything you want to know that I'm willing/able to share at this point has been covered.

#478 9 years ago

Are a lot of layers of paint required to cover up the black and can you paint without losing much of the great detail?

I guess we'll see. Paint is something I still have to figure out. Smooth-on's site shows examples of this resin where acrylic paint is painted directly onto the raw resin, but I'm wondering if it may end up being better to have a primer coat on first.

At any rate, I think the fact that it's black initially (if I don't do a primer coat) has the potential to be a good thing because it could be made to look pretty good with a simple dry brush technique where you barely get any paint on the brush and sweep over the surface with it. The scales would get color and the recesses in between them would stay black, therefore outlining them pretty well. I'll try it out, but I'll likely end up doing a more complex paint job than that.

Quoted from spfxted:

I'm getting a tingle in me gulliver!

I'm honored to have that effect on you... I think...

#480 9 years ago

Also with the added benefit that if it gets scratched later on down the road, it won't have a white gash in the paint.

Very true! I expect the bottom jaw right at the front edge will get the most abuse, as the stock one often has a gash there where it rubs up against the outhole switch. Maybe the black will help that not be so bad.

#482 9 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Jim, I have my screwdriver in hand...

Please up-vote this guy. He packaged up the t-rex frame and shipped this morning!

#484 9 years ago

I've cloned a t-rex army!
IMG_20141122_002830.jpgIMG_20141122_002830.jpg

I was able to get almost enough cast for 17 complete t-rexes, but a couple of the smaller peices had an issue with curing (I probably didn't mix well enough), and I haven't done a thorough inspection to make sure everything's usable. Fortunately I had enough resin to re-cast one of the smaller peices and I'm using the white resin I had on hand with a little black mixed in for the other part and hope it cures... Most everything still needs to have flashing and support bits cleaned up, which I'll probably do when I'm ready to work on them at a later point.

For now, I'm working on the next attempt at teeth.
IMG_20141122_002955.jpgIMG_20141122_002955.jpg

#488 9 years ago

This isn't your first rodeo! Those teeth are beautiful. You need to be working in the movie industry.

I've done some mold-making. My degree is a BFA with a focus on sculpture. I would love to work in the movie industry, but unfortunately CGI (often times really bad CGI) replaced real stuff, and my interest is mostly in animatronics and stop-motion animation which there isn't a lot of demand for. There's no steady, full-time work that I'm aware of for a sculptor and I'd have to leave my current decent-paying job and relocate with my wife to a place with a much higher cost of living, which probably isn't going to happen... So here I am, in Southern Indiana, making a T-Rex. Thanks for depressing me...

Anyway, to get back on topic, the teeth still need to cure fully. I'll make a mold of them and cast them in silicone, install and test. I'm not sure if that will happen today.

#494 9 years ago

The teeth are officially driving me crazy... I got the new teeth molds made, cast them, and the bottom teeth are giving me nothing but trouble when picking up the ball. So frustrating!

I may have to try again on the bottom ones.

Even if I can get it working pretty well in my game, I have no idea how it will affect the pickup success rate in other people's games. I guess at the end of the day, the bottom teeth would have to be removed (or the very front teeth cut off) if someone simply couldn't get it to pick up. I'm pretty sure top teeth are enough out of the way, though.

I spent almost all day on the teeth, so I haven't started experimenting with paint as I had hoped.

#497 9 years ago

I had some dark moments today thinking this was all a waste so far when I realized the t-rex wasn't even picking up the ball properly without bottom teeth... I hadn't really tested one of the cast t-rexes yet, so there's likely slight differences from the original. I made some minor adjustments to the bottom jaw and have a much better success rate now with just the top teeth in. I'm casting another set of bottom teeth that I'll do some more experiments with. The previous ones have been decimated in my futile experiments so far.

#501 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

winteriscoming I saw your work, immediately knew you had talent & training. I may be of some help on the paint end. Let me see what compounds you're using & do some R&D. My BFA is from CIA, Illustration/GD. Been squirting paint for 35 yrs on anything that would hold still long enough. (from Chevelle hoods to tiger striped strippers)

Any advice on paint would be awesome. Thanks! What info do you need from me? I'm hoping acrylics will work since I have a ton on hand.

#504 9 years ago

EDIT: A new kick-out switch should not be needed. I changed the sculpture to hopefully avoid making contact with the existing switch.

I think it's going to be my recommendation for anyone wanting to install a new t-rex that they also install a different kickout switch that doesn't cut into the dino's lip. I've done a number of tests over the past couple of days and am already seeing damage to the cast resin where it gets sliced by the existing knife-like switch over and over.

I wonder if something like this could work. The mounting holes are different, though.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5006-00

I think the stock one is just an arm on top of a standard micro switch, but I'm not seeing potential replacement arms. I'm not finding anything called kickout hole switch, so what are these things called?

#511 9 years ago

Come on, guys, I like Tiger-striped strippers as much as the next guy, but let's get back on topic, please...

I worked out a simple modification to the existing kickout switch arm. I bent it flat, drilled a small hole in it and screwed on a cylindrical peice of plastic. It sits up high enough that it triggers the switch when the ball is in it, but the t-rex lip doesn't even touch it. In retrospect, the arm could probably have just been bent down a little and have the same effect, or it could be filed down some, but I like this solution for now.

IMG_20141124_132740.jpgIMG_20141124_132740.jpgIMG_20141124_132952.jpgIMG_20141124_132952.jpg

#513 9 years ago

Old bottom teeth + new top teeth = high pickup success rate!

I'm going to redo the top teeth to be thinner and look more like the bottom teeth, but I'm very confident now that she can have a fully decked out mouth of teeth!

IMG_20141124_150730.jpgIMG_20141124_150730.jpg

#518 9 years ago

I keep getting PM's from people asking to be placed on the list. I appreciate everyone's interest, but there is no list yet. You don't even know how much they cost, yet! If anyone wants an unfinished one with zero support or instructions, I'll mail it out tomorrow for $1000.

Please be patient. I WILL start a list after I have completely finished one t-rex and have a price locked down.

In the mean time, sit back and enjoy my progress updates. I'll be posting them all the way up until I'm finished with mine.

Man, maybe I should come up with a quiz that proves people can read my posts before agreeing to sell them one.

Quiz Question #1: Is there currently a preorder/wait list?

*Just teasing, and I do appreciate the enthusiasm from everyone, but I'm not at the point where I want to manage a list, yet.

Thanks,
Jim

#526 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it looks like he got caught in a fire. good thing he's smiling or you would never see him in the dark.

The black t-rex is definitely difficult to photograph. My phone's camera doesn't do a good job of focusing on it.

I modified the top teeth and made a new mold. This isn't the best example of the top teeth, but here's a video of a few successful pickups with the final top and bottom teeth installed in a cast t-rex.

On to painting next!

#537 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

So how do the teeth attach to the head and why aren't they just part of the head mold?

They're made out of silicone so that they're flexible. They couldn't be rigid and still work. The ball pushes through them. Also, having them be flexible is useful for when it bites down, so you don't have to worry about delicate teeth breaking off.

The top ones are screwed in and sandwiched between the upper frame and the cast t-rex. The bottom ones are held in by being pressed between the jaw frame and cast jaw.

#538 9 years ago

Sold for $1 million. Pay up!

#542 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Will it use the same tongue detail or a new design?

I'm not sure about that. The original has teeth on it, which aren't necessary.

Here's my first go at painting one. I'm not calling this finished at this point. The pink needs to be toned down a lot more.

IMG_20141126_004159.jpgIMG_20141126_004159.jpgIMG_20141126_004146.jpgIMG_20141126_004146.jpgIMG_20141126_004120.jpgIMG_20141126_004120.jpg

#552 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, am I the only one thinking about a tongue decal for the metal armature inside?

That's what BobC is asking about.

Quoted from BobC:

Will it use the same tongue detail or a new design?

There's a decal there for the stock t-rex that I don't think is going to work anymore. I've got a couple of ideas or I might just leave it alone. The new t-rex requires a screw in the mouth, which I find actually helps force the ball back further, making it so that it doesn't get stuck up front (like it used to do in mine often), so any new solution will have to work around the screw head.

#553 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And honestly I wouldn't tone the pink down too much. You're right, it's pretty strong now, but once it's under glass, with the lights and everything around it you almost want a stage makeup style, make it a little bold to work from a distance and competing with so much.

I guess that's one way to think about it and I'll definitely have to take that into consideration. If I want bold colors to stand out, though, then some brighter colors might need to be introduced into the body. I think I'll try to tone the pink down first and see how it looks in the game.

Edit: I just looked at the pics I posted on my laptop and the pink looks a lot paler (and closer to how I want it to look) than it does on my phone. Going to have to rely on real-life and look at the actual t-rex with my eyes, instead of a camera!

#556 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

You are putting Stern and other folks in the business to shame with this Toy!

I'll put this out there: If any pinball company wants to hire me to sculpt a toy, I'm up for talking about it.

#557 9 years ago

Hey, I just noticed I'm up there in the big leagues with the number of votes in the past seven days.

Thanks everyone for your support, encouragement, and enthusiasm so far!

#560 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I don't even own a JP and I was trying to think of a way to use that Looks GREAT!!! I think I mentioned the lwjp baby trex needs an update next

Yeah, it's just that it requires the original t-rex frame. I guess it would be possible to somehow glue it together into a free-standing sculpture, but I think there are better options out there for t-rex sculptures if you're just wanting something to sit on a shelf.

I've never played LWJP, but want one for the theme alone. If I ever get one, I'd certainly consider making mods.

#577 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Jim looks like your plan worked. Couldn't find a safe way to atomize that resin.

Yeah, a pinsider who works with Smooth-On has been in touch and has given some much appreciated suggestions/advice.

Just to give an update on my most recent activity with this project: I've been experimenting with eyes, and have a few ideas on how I can consistently reproduce some good ones, but don't have anything worth showing yet.

#579 9 years ago

I think I've got some eyes that work. This also has a better example of top teeth.
IMG_20141130_185316.jpgIMG_20141130_185316.jpgIMG_20141130_185246.jpgIMG_20141130_185246.jpgIMG_20141130_185159.jpgIMG_20141130_185159.jpgIMG_20141130_185133.jpgIMG_20141130_185133.jpgIMG_20141130_185147.jpgIMG_20141130_185147.jpg

I still have a couple experiments to run, like figuring out if painting the gums/teeth will be easy enough and cost effective and I also have to test a clearcoat.

#586 9 years ago

Unless I find a good way of painting silicone, which is extremely stretchy and flexible, I don't think the paint will hold up. I've even gone as far as painting pigmented silicone on, but it doesn't adhere as well as I had hoped and ends up being too tacky. This latest test is a more rigid paint application that goes on well and stays unless the silicone is stretched/flexed too much. I'll continue doing some research and tests but I don't want to have to buy special, complicated paint or other materials just to color the teeth...

IMG_20141130_205621.jpgIMG_20141130_205621.jpg

#591 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Is there a way to color the silicone before pouring?

Yes. What you're seeing on the unpainted one is colored silicone. Trying to do two colors in the same mold will be complicated.

Quoted from DropTarget:

Or is there a way to put dye in the mold that will become permanent when the silicone cures against it?

I'll have to do some experiments, but not sure.

#594 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Honestly I like it without the gums painted. Looks too much like lipstick in that pic.

I'll grant that it's not a good pink in the current example, but I like having a distinction between the gums and teeth if I can effectively do so.

Quoted from smoke:

maybe do like a dog and have blackish gray gums?

Agree dark gums look better than pink....dinos did not brush.

The gums in photos of the movie versions from all JP movies I'm seeing all look to be a light pinkish in color.

That brings me to another issue: Overall Color

In reviewing stills of the female in JP1, I see some that make her look greenish and some where she's mostly brown. Mine is more greenish than brown. Any opinions on that?

I welcome all constructive feedback, by the way. If you see something you don't like, please point it out. I'll at least take it into consideration while I'm crying in the corner.

#595 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Don't have a JP anymore, but I hope you sell these until you're sick of making them!

I'm almost sick of making this one!

#598 9 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Stunning!!! Can't wait to get one of these bad boys.
After this can you make some plants and trees to go along with it?

There's no way I could cost effectively make plants that are any better than the kind you can already buy for model railroads and such.

I do kind of have a future idea of making some broken electric fencing around the t-rex, though... we'll see.

#599 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Seriously ask Stan Winston Studios... I don't see why not... https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/
» YouTube video
Being that the new Jurassic World trailer just came out they said they are releasing a few behind the scenes videos from the original Jurassic Park...

She looks more brown there. I'll do a brown version for the next one and see what everyone thinks.

#610 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I especially liked the membrane connecting the maxilla to the mandible as I thought that was excellent attention to detail!

You can thank the Papo T-rex for giving me the idea on how it could have that membrane and still work! The membrane on the Papo is fixed to the top, though I had to swap it to the bottom for this application since it was easier to work a void into the top of the head for the membrane to disappear up into.

For anyone just wanting a cheap, good looking T-rex (or any dino for that matter), go for the Papo for sure!
http://www.amazon.com/Tyrannosaurus-Colors-May-Vary-Green/dp/B000KO7QK8/ref=sr_1_2

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Sounds like to need to take a break and recharge for a little while. (now the group will shoot me)

Quoted from Daniml:

I had also planned on making an electric fence ... but after seeing your work here I'll just wait for your product!

I plan to get through this T-rex (at least 1!) before taking on any other mods.

#615 9 years ago

I think I'm going to skip painting the teeth/gums. Painting silicone comes with a series of challenges and often requires hazardous solvents. I don't have a space with good enough ventilation to be repeatedly painting these things a few inches away from my face with all the fun fumes generated in the process... It's not worth the risk to my health. Not that my experiments so far yielded a result that I wanted anyway.

#618 9 years ago

Here's a leaked image of the hybrid dino toy from the Jurassic World Pin!

IMG_20141202_125405.jpgIMG_20141202_125405.jpg

#620 9 years ago

Working on a brown t-rex now.

IMG_20141202_191203.jpgIMG_20141202_191203.jpg

#629 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I like the eyes a bit smaller as shown...

Well, they're not that small when I put the replacement eyes in... I've got a slightly smaller size lens on order and should hopefully be able to show an example of that next week.

Quoted from Pinballocks:

The brown looks a little more dry brushed & a bit more sinister with the squinty eye.

Hmm... even at current size of the replacement eyes, I could just sculpt more squinty lids on...

As it is, the eyes that are part of the original sculpture are routed out and the replacement eyes placed in with new lids sculpted on.

For now, here are some better pics. Big thanks to my wife for taking them with her DSLR!

_IGP3152.JPG_IGP3152.JPG_IGP3155.JPG_IGP3155.JPG_IGP3157.JPG_IGP3157.JPG_IGP3159.JPG_IGP3159.JPG_IGP3160.JPG_IGP3160.JPG

I'm interested in all feedback at this point about what you think should maybe be different. I like the brown one more and will probably proceed with making that the standard.

#630 9 years ago

Here it is sitting in the game:
_IGP3165.JPG_IGP3165.JPG_IGP3169.JPG_IGP3169.JPG_IGP3166.JPG_IGP3166.JPG_IGP3171.JPG_IGP3171.JPG

#636 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm ready to buy one now.

I'm not ready to sell yet and haven't locked down a price. I still have some more experiments, such as a clearcoat, and play testing to do.

#646 9 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Looks incredible man! Can't wait. Are you still thinking of adding arms? Not that it's needed because it looks great as is but you just keep making it better and better every day when I check this thread.

I'm not sure about arms. I'm still thinking about it, but I don't know that they will add much and could just get in the way. I've got a couple of ideas about how they could work, but it might add too much complication to the project will too little payoff. We'll see.

I was also thinking about adding a silicone tongue, but not sure if I want to pursue that in light of the difficulties I'v had painting silicone. I may try for a new tongue decal.

#648 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

do you really need to clearcoat? it's not going to get hit by the ball. Plus the more paint you have, the less flex it's going allow without cracking off. Only part I could see getting some wear would be the snout.

The resin is so rigid that there's not a lot of flex anyway. I'm mostly looking to add a thin protection coat for handling and overall look. I will NOT be making it all glossy, though. Gloss is going to be restricted to specific areas such as the mouth.

I'm expecting that over time the front of the nose and the front of the mouth will likely get worn down where contact with the pf is made. I'm trying to make those areas dark, so that as they wear, you won't notice as much since the resin underneath is black.

Regarding ball hits, I think it's not something I'm too worried about protecting against, but there are scenarios where the ball could hit the top of the head such as during the ball search sequence and maybe during multiball (Been a while since I played, but I was thinking it picks up the ball sometimes during multiball... Does it?).

#656 9 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

looks better than JJP's Smaug

It's dissapointing how this sentiment keeps popping up here in spite of my request that it doesn't... It's fine if you have that opinion, but it doesn't really add much to this project since they're unrelated toys in different games. Discussions about Smaug do not belong in this thread. If you want to say that the new T-rex is better than the old one, by all means, please do.

I can say if I had to crank out a lot of t-rexes in a short amount of time, they wouldn't look as good. I also don't have any deadlines, so I can work on perfecting this indefinitely.

#657 9 years ago

oops, meant to edit instead of quote myself...

#659 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Trust me.....forget the arms....

Fine! I'll just pack up my t-rex arms and go home!

#661 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The only problem with this mod is it looks so good it's going to lead to wanting to upgrade other parts of the game just to keep up with the quality.

So let's upgrade everything else, too!

Honestly, after replacing the stock pteranodons (or whatever they're called) with Papo versions, I think the new T-rex fits in without bringing down the quality of the rest of the game. Every other change will just be icing on the cake.

#663 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I've been following this thread and think this is coming out amazing, ad me to the list of people who now want to buy a JP just to use this mod. Being you asked for feedback I'll give you my 2 cents. I like the eyes on the smaller side, but when I saw yours next to the original I kind of liked the semi blinking look of the original one. But what stands out to me is the teeth, I like the teeth, but they have a sort of 'connected' look, I think each tooth should look like an individual tooth, more separation, right now they remind of the plastic fangs kid use. I also like the lighter pink color of the gums. I also thought the greenish version was great but now I'm liking the brown one too, your attention to detail is amazing and you obviously put a lot of thought into your work, I think it's going to be a masterpiece! ( And that's coming from an old school guy who generally doesn't like mods).

Thanks for the feedback. Could you clarify your opinion on the eyes? When you say "original" are you referring to the stock t-rex or my final sculpture that was reproduced which includes sculpted on eyes?

If I want to have nicer looking eyes such as my current ones which use a clear lens , I have to replace the ones that are sculpted on. I can go smaller, though. They're currently 8mm and I've got 7mm lenses on order. The other thing I can do is sculpt lids on that are more closed, but I like the effect the lens gives and it looks better with more light coming in and thus wider eyes.

Regarding teeth - well, I don't know if there's much I can change about them at this point. At least the top ones have to be attached to gums the way they are or they won't have anything to support them and they'd be really floppy. It may not be showing in the pics that well when the gums are the same color, but the teeth are sculpted with a separation line at the gums. Regarding the color of the gums, well, I haven't come up with an effective way of coloring them separately from the teeth in any way that will last and my experiments to do so haven't worked out as well as I wanted. Besides that, the solvents required to do so effectively are too harsh for me to want to be exposed to them long term.

Everyone, please feel free to give feedback and suggestions. Now's the time to make changes. Even if I can't change something, I'll at least try to comment on why I can't or don't want to.

Thanks,
Jim

#668 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

With respect and kindness, exit the thread. Good day.

You're hired as my second thread bouncer!

Both my bouncers are named Jared, right?

You mess around in this thread, be prepared to for the wrath of Jared squared!

I want glowing red LEDs behind mine.

Uh oh, for that you might have to bounce yourself. You might get caught in some kind of paradoxical infinite loop!

Honestly, though, I thought for a few minutes about light up eyes, and could still do it, but don't think it would be a worthwhile enhancement.

#674 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Trust me...forget about the glowing eyes...

Why don't you just take over this project, then! I'm going home!

Come on, I have to have a list of crazy ideas that make this project come right up to the threshold between best mod ever and crazy complicated, over-engineered peice of crap mod with tons of afterthoughts added on. I want to see how close I can get to that line!

I've got googly-laser-eyes, projectile blood-packs for when it bites down, computer controlled tongue movements, blinking eye-lids, chameleon paint, chest mounted LCD monitor with clips of Jeff Goldblum (from every movie he's been in - not just JP)... oh and teeny tiny t-rex arms. Let me get all this figured out before I start selling it. It might be another couple of years.

#675 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea, the LED eyes will just make it look cheap and toyish.
Btw, you do know that real life dinosaurs eyes don't light up right?

You know real-life dinosaurs don't eat pinballs and burp, right?

I'm not going to do anything to it to make it look stupid!

#678 9 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

How about motorized eyeballs that watch the ball where ever it goes?!
Seriously though, it's one bad azz looking dino! Great job!
Brian

Wheres the dilating pupils? Lame. Worst mod ever.

Great ideas! I'll add those to the list!

#683 9 years ago

Enough messing around. Let's get back to some serious business. For marketing purposes, I have to come up with a name for the mod.

I think I'll call her Rex-Anne...

She even has a theme song!

"Rex-Anne!
You don't have to eat those balls tonight.
Rex-Anne!
You don't have to turn on that red T-REX light..."

#689 9 years ago

I've got googly-laser-eyes, projectile blood-packs for when it bites down, computer controlled tongue movements, blinking eye-lids, chameleon paint, chest mounted LCD monitor with clips of Jeff Goldblum (from every movie he's been in - not just JP)... oh and teeny tiny t-rex arms.

best mod ever.pngbest mod ever.png

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Perfect! That's a wrap. Box them up and lets get to shipping.

I hear NIB stuff kept in the box for years is supposed to be a good investment opportunity. I figured if I make a limited edition, say 10, box them all up and hold on to them for a few years, I should be able to retire and sell them for about a million apiece.

#694 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If no one's ever going to open the boxes anyway, you could save yourself a lot of hassle by skipping the production phase and just making up some really nice looking boxes.

Shh! Don't tell people that! I was just going to put in some waste pinball parts, just so something rattles around...

#695 9 years ago

Ok, back on topic... for real!

Here's a fun pic I put together showing the evolution of this project:
T-rex evolution.pngT-rex evolution.png

I want to wait until I get the smaller lenses and try those out before saying I've got an example of the final product.

I also haven't done much play-testing. I need to get this thing installed in my game and start playing!

I'm mulling over the pricing and rollout. I still want to do a pilot group, but I also think there's a good opportunity here to give people some limited options for their T-REX since each one is going to be unique anyway. I could offer a couple choices on color scheme, eyes, and eyelids to name a few.

I'm not in any rush to pump out a high volume of these, and I likely won't be able to produce a lot in a short period of time anyway.

I hope to have pricing and a plan in place within the next week or two.

Thanks,
Jim

#700 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I just liked the squinty eye look of the stock T-rex, looks like he's sort of sneering at you or taunting you, a more menacing look than the round eye gives you. Maybe it is the eye lid that gives it that effect, not sure. Don't know if it's adjustable but I think the pupil should be slightly forward in the eyeball rather than centered.

I'll play around with squint levels.

Regarding the pupil location: I think with the current lenses, having it centered gives it the illusion that it's always looking at you. Check out the pics with it installed in the game to see. The ones where it's facing you make it look like it's looking forward.

#704 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Jim sign me up for an unpainted one. Save you some grey matter.
I'll send you money now so you can buy some ventilation devices. Stat.

I already cast all the resin I had, and will likely paint up and sell all the current t-rexes I have, but I'm definitely going to get a better setup with proper ventilation in place before I do another run. I will sell unpainted ones eventually.

#706 9 years ago

I have some concerns that are giving me some anxiety with this project so thought I'd throw them out there:

1. Wanting to keep things on the up-and-up, I'll need to pay taxes on the income I make from selling these. Might need to pay sales tax, too, at least for anyone purchasing in Indiana... Oh what fun that's going to be to figure out... Paying taxes, as I should, means less money recouped for my efforts and therefore I might need to charge more than I would have liked.

2. If I take PayPal payments (the easiest way to collect payments), I have no real protection from getting screwed over by an unscrupulous buyer. Other forms of payment are going to be a hassle for me and the buyer.

3. What if Universal (or Data East via Stern?) wants to shut me down? Am I replicating something that requires a license? As far as I can tell, the Papo dinosaur toy line is based off of JP dinos, but aren't licensed and they're making more money than I'd ever hope to make on this project. I guess that would be the precedent for me not being as concerned about this issue.

The business side of this is going to be what makes me not enjoy this project...

#725 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Until you sell about 300 of these I would not worry about it. Bigger fish to fry.

I'm definitely pressing on.

IMG_20141207_013815.jpgIMG_20141207_013815.jpg

#733 9 years ago

I still get PMs about this. There's no waiting list, I'm not selling them, and I don't know the price... yet. Anyone have a suggestion on where to put this info? I'd put it in the first post if I thought people would read it!

I do appreciate the interest and enthusiasm, though.

I'm working on finishing up 3, as pictured, and will know, and announce, the price once I have them finished.

I'm likely to do a smaller initial pilot group, maybe only 3 or 4, gather feedback and address any issues that impact the design and then open it up a little more to about 10. I might be able to get the initial pilot group out the door this month, but probably not more than that.

I'm not taking names until I have a price. I've also got a few people in mind for the early pilot group, if they're interested, so consider it an invitation only affair. I'll announce when any are up for grabs during the pilot.

Thanks,
Jim

#738 9 years ago

I got the 7mm lenses in today (pictured on the right). The first ones were 8mm glass ones and not as domed. The 7mm ones are acrylic and have a very nice domed curve to them, so I'm hoping they look just right in size and effect when installed.

I'll try to install and show an example as soon as possible.

IMG_20141208_170646.jpgIMG_20141208_170646.jpg

#742 9 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

That T-rex looks intimidating

Quoted from pinballpete:

Every update is better than the next! Great job!

Hold on, I haven't even changed anything yet! That's still the same brown t-rex with the 8mm eye displayed in other pics.

#753 9 years ago

Here are a couple different pupil sizes and squint levels with the 7mm eye. I like the size, but I feel like when installed in the game, they're not picking up much light and are kind of dark.

The one on the left is the original brown one with an 8mm eye, for comparison.

IMG_20141208_193641.jpgIMG_20141208_193641.jpg
IMG_20141208_195256.jpgIMG_20141208_195256.jpg
IMG_20141208_200252.jpgIMG_20141208_200252.jpg
IMG_20141208_200307.jpgIMG_20141208_200307.jpg
IMG_20141208_201052.jpgIMG_20141208_201052.jpg

#756 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

all you have to do now is find a supplier in China to make 1000 of these for $20 bucks a pop and then sell them for $150 on here and move along with 130K in your pocket

Well, even if that was an option, I don't have $20k to invest and doubt I'd sell that many, so that's not going to happen.

For better or worse, they're going to be made by me in small batches at a price that's probably more than most people are hoping...

#768 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

winteriscoming thought you may like this.
» Vimeo video

That is some really awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing.

It's a shame because to me all of that stuff looks better than the CGI creatures you get in movies these days... Why can't a modern movie be made with all real stuff?

#772 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

A big reason is cost.

We're getting off topic (my fault, I know), but I will say that with the huge budgets Hollywood movies have, I don't buy that they can't afford it. Sure, you're not saying they can't afford it, you're saying CGI is cheaper/more flexible, but still... seems like they could still get a good return on their investment.

#774 9 years ago

So we're saying we like the smaller eye with smaller pupil, but open wide? I like that one, too.

This particular type of eye gives a cool effect where it always appears to be looking at you.

IMG_20141209_233341.jpgIMG_20141209_233341.jpg
IMG_20141209_233325.jpgIMG_20141209_233325.jpg

#787 9 years ago

I'm doing one last ditch effort at having painted teeth/gums. I'm casting them in latex instead of silicone. Latex is much easier to paint, but takes forever to cure. Latex probably won't last as long as silicone over the long term, but should hold up fine for this application.

I reached out to a few people to join the initial pilot group and will be working with them over the coming weeks to make sure there aren't any issues that need to be addressed before selling more. I'd like to get their t-rexes out the door next week, but I don't want to commit to that in light of the few things I'm still testing.

I'm not ready to announce pricing or start a list yet. I still have to fully finish the one going in my game.

Thanks,
Jim

#790 9 years ago

Just wanted to make sure people saw this.

That's my mantra!

#793 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

manta.jpg 21 KB

Mantra not Manta...

You know, as in a repetetive meditative phrase.

#795 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Got ya!
Soooo, who's in the "Coveted Pilot T-Rex Test group?"

Well, not you! You'd have been in the group if you only had a JP...

I'm not releasing that info at this time.

#806 9 years ago

Alright, latex teeth aren't going to work out. It takes way too long to cure and undergoes too much stress in the de-molding process with the current molds for me to consistently get a usable piece. I also don't have good molds for latex use. If I had plaster molds I probably could have used latex a little better. I really don't want to make new molds at this point.

I can cast and de-mold the silicone in 20 minutes or less. The latex seems to need longer than 24 hours and I'm too impatient to wait that long for something that might not even turn out right.

#811 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can you tint the silicone before molding it?

I can and do.

That's not the issue. The issue is that teeth and gums have to be the same color and I haven't had success painting the silicone in a way that will last. Further experimentation would require a setup that I don't have and I don't think the payoff of having different colored gums is worth it at this point.

As it stands, the gums and teeth will be tinted initally and will remain the same color.

I may do a couple other experiments, but no guarantees.

#818 9 years ago

I think I've got a solution for coloring the teeth!

I didn't do very contrasting colors so it's not easy to see in the pic, but the gums are pinkish and the teeth are yellowish and darker towards the gums.

IMG_20141212_183815.jpgIMG_20141212_183815.jpg

#824 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Who are the testers? I suggest picking some people that are not so vocal in this thread as their opinions will carry more weight than fanboy#1 et al.

I'm not even sure how many of these I'll end up making, so I'd rather vocal fans get priority. What other method am I supposed to use to gauge interest without making an open call and getting a number of pms to sift through from people I've never heard of?

At any rate, the first three people are already lined up.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

i would love to test one of these as i have 3 parties coming up in the next 30 days and the pinballs will be getting played a lot.

Sorry, just doing three for right now and have three people committed.

I'm keeping the initial group small so that it's easier to manage direct communication and address any issues.

#826 9 years ago

I think I've got a finished example! This is the one that's going in my game.

I'll try to get some better pics and a video of it installed soon.

IMG_20141213_153342.jpgIMG_20141213_153342.jpg
IMG_20141213_153426.jpgIMG_20141213_153426.jpg
IMG_20141213_153412.jpgIMG_20141213_153412.jpg

#837 9 years ago

I think I'm going to settle on a cost of $400 shipped (in the US only). The time it takes to produce one is much longer than I had originally anticipated. Sorry if this is cost-prohibitive for anyone who's interested, but that's what I have to charge to make it worth my time. Honestly, if I get through the pilot group and no one else is interested at this price, then I'm fine with that. I just won't make any more. I guess I'll start a list of interested people at this time. Please PM me that you want to be on the list, even if you already have. I can't guarantee how long it will take before the initial pilot run is finished, but I will begin producing more after that. I will probably produce them at a slow rate... maybe a few a month. I will not be selling unpainted ones until interest in painted ones subsides (or I get tired of painting them).

Here's a vid and a couple more pics. I'll try to get some pics with a DSLR tomorrow.

I realized I'm calling this finished, but haven't made a tongue decal. I'll see what I can put together. I don't think you end up seeing inside the mouth that well, but it might be a nice addition.

IMG_20141213_165208.jpgIMG_20141213_165208.jpg
IMG_20141213_165218.jpgIMG_20141213_165218.jpg

By the way, I installed the glass to test some more and confirm it actually works with the glass on (i.e. check that it's not too tall) and am happy to report that there are no issues except that I suck at this game and barely hit the t-rex...

I'm pretty happy with the pickup success rate. Assuming that my game is representative of the norm (might not be a good assumption), there's a bit of a range for what triggers the center switch. It doesn't seem to happen much, but there are times when the t-rex is a little too off center and ends up grabbing the ball with the side of its mouth and dropping it. It's been so long since I played that I don't recall this happening with the stock t-rex, but I can't imagine the stock t-rex behaving any differently if it picked up while slightly off-center.

#839 9 years ago

Edited previous post and updated with price.... and there's a waiting list now, so hop on and be patient.

#843 9 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Id like to see a picture of the whole playfield, if you don't mind.

I'll get better pics taken tomorrow with a DSLR and will get some whole pf pics. My wife is better at using it than I am. Right now I'm just taking them with my phone. I posted some pf pics a few posts back (edit: just checked and didn't post a full pf shot). The current "finished" one is really just the same t-rex with smaller eyes and a clearcoat.

By the way, it ends up looking a lot glossier in the photos than in real-life. The idea is that most of it is matte, while a few choice areas are glossy, such as nostrils, mouth and around the eyes.

#844 9 years ago

I want to thank everyone who has been supportive of this project so far.

I appreciate everyone who has given advice of various kinds both publicly here in the forum and privately. I also appreciate the various generous offers for help, ranging from financial to technical. I especially appreciate all the positive feedback. This has been a tough project to get through and everyone's enthusiasm has been a great motivator.

I look forward to getting some of these out the door and into the hands (and games) of others soon.

Thanks,
Jim

#846 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Quick question... that black bib in front of the T-Rex, is that part of the original game or part of this mod? Mine does not have that.

That came on my stock T-rex along with a plastic double washer. I can't remember if it was installed in front or in back of the front piece on the stock one, but my intention is for it to be installed in the front on this one. If you're missing it, there's probably some kind of sheet of black rubber you could buy and cut one out.

By the way, I think that's what Ian Malcolm is referring to when he asks if someone has gone around lifting up the dinosaurs' skirts.

#851 9 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

So you will not ship to Canada?

I've never shipped anything to Canada, so not sure on prices. In the US I think I'll be able to fit it in a flat rate prioriy box, so I'm willing to absorb the cost. I was assuming it would be more for anywhere outside of the US, so I would expect the buyer to pay $400 + actual shipping. I would ideally ship through a service such as UPS where they don't pass it off to someone else and then we end up in a grey area for which carrier is responsible if there's an insurance claim.

#861 9 years ago

Wow, I have lots of PMs now!

Sorry if I don't respond directly. For now if you send a PM then you're on the list.

I would imagine once I get through the pilot group, I'll start getting some more ready to go and will reach out to the people at the top of the list about customization options, etc. I won't collect any payment until I'm ready to ship.

At this point the wait list goes beyond my current stock of cast t-rexes, so if I make it through, I'll have to do a new run.

I'm really not sure how quickly I'll be able to turn these out once I start going through the list, so some people could be waiting for several months at this point.

An important thing for me to point out is that the little time I have available for production of these comes after my full time job and time with my wife and family. I'll work my way through the list, but it will take time. I've got to get some pinball and video game time in there, too.

#862 9 years ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

Hi NYP,
An earlier post answered your questions (post 837).
You asked: when will they be available?
wintericoming post 837: "I guess I'll start a list of interested people at this time. Please PM me that you want to be on the list, even if you already have. I can't guarantee how long it will take before the initial pilot run is finished, but I will begin producing more after that. I will probably produce them at a slow rate... maybe a few a month."
You asked: Will they come painted or unpainted?
winteriscoming: post 837: "I will not be selling unpainted ones until interest in painted ones subsides (or I get tired of painting them)."
Hope this helps.

I think (hope) he was just joking.

#872 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

It would've been awesome if you could have added some little arms to him. I think that would have really enhanced him and given him more personality, life and realism.

You weren't around to defend the idea when everyone voted it down.

I did a mock-up and didn't think it looked right with the already odd shape and proportions of the body/head due the frame I had to build on top of. I even thought about just having them look like they're kind of folded into the front section of the body, but it looked weird.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Do neighbors / guys youve drank beer with, get a fast pass ?

Perhaps. I'm not announcing to people what their place is in line, so maybe you are towards the top...

#873 9 years ago

It's evolution, baby!
Before and AfterBefore and After

#875 9 years ago
Quoted from smoke:

I may have missed it ...... how plug and play is the mounting of your T-Rex to the Game?? I have not seen any install pictures did you do some?

I haven't really posted any directions or pics yet. Assembly is required, but luckily it mostly uses screw holes that are there in the stock t-rex. The most difficult part is that a rivet has to be drilled out of the original jaw to remove the stock plastic. The replacement is held on by a nut and bolt.

I will say that installation should be done by an experienced pinball tech, and the game should be off and unplugged. Installation is done at the risk of the owner.

Quoted from smoke:

is the first run full yet?

For now I'm just collecting names. I have a list that goes beyond my current stock, so I guess in that sense the first run is full.

#881 9 years ago
Quoted from smoke:

so I can be dense and times, your T-Rex slides onto/over our existing T Rex and frame, correct?

It's a complete replacement for the plastic peices on the stock t-rex. The stock frame is used, but platic parts removed and replaced.

#886 9 years ago

Well, now that I've had the t-rex in my game and have taken more time to play-test, I discovered there are still some technical issues I need to work through and the pilot group is going to be delayed a bit.

Right now the main issues are:
1. The paint isn't holding up as well as I'd like, especially around the mouth where it makes contact with the pf. I'm already seeing wear and it hasn't been that long. I realize now that skipping out on primer is making it so that the paint isn't adhering as well as it should. I'm able to easily scratch it off with my fingernails. I'll need to experiment with some primer and see if that cuts down on this issue.
2. There's a scenario where the ball can be picked up and held at the edge of the lips without actually getting into the mouth. In the upright position the jaw ends up more closed because the plunger is pushed in, and it's strong enough to hold the ball regardless of power going to the coil (i.e. turn the game off in this position, and it still holds the ball tight in the lips). It doesn't come out until the ball-search, and when the t-rex bends down and the mouth opens more, it falls out. I'll need to route out a bit more in top of the mouth so the upper frame can be bent up a little more. Ideally the ball would not be held tight in that position, and therefore would have at least fallen out of the mouth while raising up rather than being held there.
3. Because I'm using a bolt rather than a rivet in the mouth, there are times when the ball doesn't end up going past the head of the bolt and just sits in the front of the mouth, not coming out until ball-search. I had cases of the ball just sitting in the front with the stock t-rex, but at this point, I'm pretty sure I can blame it on the bolt because in a separate test I used a rivet instead and haven't had that issue. I'm hoping to avoid using a rivet because most people don't have a rivet press. I suppose the alternative would be to have people ship me their jaw and I could do the installation, but that would not be idea. I'll look into bolts with lower profile heads.

#891 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

What about some sort of clear coat?

Quoted from Pimp77:

That was my first thoughts...seal her up.

The issue is happening in spite of the clearcoat I used. I don't know if a clearcoat can help over a paint that already easily chips off.

#894 9 years ago

I scraped all the paint off the original green one with a wire brush, scuffed it up really well, cleaned it off, sprayed some gray primer, covered all that with black paint and proceeded to the paint it like I originally was. It's definitely picking up paint better than it was before, but I'll need to let it all dry thoroughly before I judge if the paint is staying on better. Then I'll follow up with the various sealers.

Ideally I think I would start with a black primer, but I had the gray one on hand. Impressively, the black covered covered the gray in one coat.

The paints are acrylics.

#895 9 years ago

I'm doing a second trial with a different primer.

I had intended to post more pics of the "final" version, but the technical issues are setting me back some. While the pics so far are representative of what I want it to look like, I'll post more when I have a better final version worked out.

#896 9 years ago

The next paint trial is going to be with oil-based enamels. After all the trials, I'll see which I think will hold up best.

#903 9 years ago

Here's the one I'm doing up in enamels. They're a little more difficult to use, but I'm able to get the look I'm going for.

It needs to dry for 24 hours before I can do much else to it. Hopefully it holds up. Ideally my fingernails wouldn't be able to scratch it off.

IMG_20141218_140921.jpgIMG_20141218_140921.jpg
#904 9 years ago

To all who have PMed, thank you for your interest! Rest assured that you're on the list if you have requested to be since the price announcement. I haven't gotten that organized with it yet and probably won't until I finalize things and get the 3 pilot t-rexes out the door.

I will get to a point where I've got the list more formalized and I'll be able to give people an indication of how long it will be before I have theirs ready. The interest definitely exceeds my current stock, so there will be a delay once I get to the point of having to cast more. Unfortunately, I foolishly did an experiment in the main body mold that ruined a part of it, so I'll have to remake that mold and may end up remaking all the molds so that the raw castings are easier to clean up in future runs than my current ones that require a lot of work to remove the extra built-in support and ventilation bits.

If the latest paint test holds up, which I'll hopefully be able to tell by the end of next week, I'll move on to repainting the 3 pilot units and hopefully get them out the door by the end of the month. I'll probably also spend some time while I'm on vacation over the next couple of weeks painting up the ones I have in stock (depending on how much free time I even get with holiday stuff happening). Then, if the pilot run goes well, I'll be able to start working my way through the list and hopefully get some out the door in the first half of next month.

I'm behind schedule on where I wanted to be, but hopefully I'll have a better, more reliable product since I caught these last few issues before shipping anything and can address them before I even get to the pilot period.

Thanks again for all the interest and encouragement.
-Jim

#909 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

don't know if oil would work good. I think it would crack more than higher grade acrylic would.

Under what conditions do you think cracking would occur? It's not going to be flexing a lot as far as I can tell. I had a spring steel ball flap that I sprayed with Rustoleum enamel and it doesn't crack when flexing the spring steel. I noted that my fingernail can't do anything to the enamel, and it doesn't even have a clearcoat or anything, so that's why I'm trying enamels.

I'm using mostly the Rustoleum enamels (Black, Almond, Brown) with some Testors mixed in here and there. All of that on top of a flat black Rustoleum automotive primer.

Quoted from DropTarget:

So, how were the originals finished? I'm sure the info is out there someplace as to the best way to paint these. There must be an industrial plastics or paint business somewhere that can help.

I was originally just using cheap acrylics. I don't want to invest in expensive industrial grade paints, and they're not likely to be sold in small quantities.

I haven't landed on a suitable matte clearcoat. I have some Testors Dullcoat that I need to try, but also saw Krylon matte on the shelf at the store. I had been experimenting with Modge Podge matte and it's not a suitable candidate... it looks nice, but peels off really easily... I was trying for the relatively non-toxic stuff first, but now I'm into high fumes stuff hardcore...

I have some Createx airbrush primary colors on hand. I'll give high quality acrylics a fighting chance by using them exclusively in my next test. That will be done on top of the same black automotive primer as the enamel test.

I read that while the enamels may dry in 24 hours, they may not actually cure for about a week. A fair test would probably need to be done after a week.

#910 9 years ago

Here's the one done up in Createx acrylics.
IMG_20141219_115735.jpgIMG_20141219_115735.jpg

#913 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it still shifts, whether or not it's being in contact. Vibration and stuff cause cracking as well.
I use Liquitex acrylics and they have a lot of flex and retain the flex even when dry.

I guess the areas I want to protect the most are right at the tip of the upper lip, and the lower lip and chin.

It seems like so far, no matter what I use, I can always scratch the paint off with my fingernail. That's not such an issue for most of the t-rex as most of it never comes in contact with anything, but it's a huge issue for the areas that contact the PF. They'll wear down after a few plays.

Any suggestions for something that can be used to protect the high impact areas?

#917 9 years ago

Unfortunately the pilot run is probably going to be delayed a bit longer. I'm probably judging durability too soon and may actually need to wait up to a week for everything to properly cure.

Currently I've got the following tests:
1. Oil-enamels over black automotive primer.
2. Createx acrylics over black auto primer, with Testors Dullcoat on top.
3. Mix of chepo acrylics and Createx without primer that I had painted up a while ago with Krylon Crystal Clear sprayed on. I wanted to experiment with this since I've used Krylon's triple thick before on a backglass and had one on hand where it was laid down thick. I took my fingernail to it and couldn't do a thing to it.

I may not have been allowing the primer to cure long enough so the next test will be acrylics over auto primer that has dried for at least 24 hours.

I'm a pretty impatient person, so all this 24 hours here and a week there stuff is going to drive me crazy!

#918 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

not sure if it will work but the first thing that comes to mind is using a 2 part epoxy resin.. paint it over painted areas in question.. its clear and hard as hell.

I may play around with that idea if I can't figure something else out.

#926 9 years ago

I have a different primer on order that should adhere to the cast resin better than what I've been using. Trials with it are going to set me back even further on the timeline. We could be looking at early to mid January for the pilot run. I'll keep delaying until I get a durable paint job figured out. Nothing's going out the door until I'm confident in what I'm selling.

I have to keep myself from rushing through just to collect the money... pins keep popping up locally that I want to buy with the money!

#928 9 years ago

A related change I'm thinking about for this game is beefing up the gears for the t-rex motors. Anyone know how feasible it would be to have replacement gears made in metal? Even if exact replacements can't be found or made cheaply, shouldn't it be possible to just find some stock-made gears and configure them into a custom gearbox?

The way the game senses where the t-rex is located is based solely on switches, so the gear ratio (as long as it's similar enough and the motor is strong enough) and speed of the movement that may change with different gears shouldn't matter.

#929 9 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

take your time. its been 20 years already with the original guy, another couple of months won't hurt anyone.

I suppose!

#931 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

My Trex left-right motion sputters and is slow...I like it disabled, but if it could be improved I would be for it.

My left/right kind of sputters, too. That might just be due to the software upgrade, though, in order to slow it down to help reduce wear. My game had an issue when I first got it where the right movement was locked on, so it spent an unknown amount of time just grinding its gears when it couldn't physically move right anymore. It all still works in spite of that, but I imagine it would be better with replacements.

Anyway, I've got a t-rex to finalize, so I won't try to officially tackle this project until I get finished. It might end up being a good companion mod to the replacement t-rex.

1 week later
#932 9 years ago

I don't have anything worth showing yet. I sprayed my new primer on one earlier this week and haven't had time to paint it.

Every test so far, even after a week, can relatively easily be scratched off with my fingernail... That includes the enamel.

We'll see how the new primer works out.

1 week later
#934 9 years ago

Just wanted to give an update since I haven't posted in a while.

I've been allowing my paint tests a lot of time to cure and so far I'm not happy with any of the trials with regards to durability. I'm going to invest in materials for re-casting since I have learned there's a way to add primer to the mold prior to casting to make it chemically bond to the resin, which will hopefully address the issue I'm having with paint and primer being pretty easily scratched off with my fingernail down to bare resin.

I'll post more when I have something more to show. I have no idea on timelines at this point.

Thanks,
Jim

#938 9 years ago

Great job and trying to get it right before distribution!

I'm just glad I didn't take pre-order money because I'd be under a lot more pressure to rush it!

#940 9 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Have you tried etching primer?

As far as I've learned so far resins are very chemically resistant, and therefore a primer made specifically for plastics probably won't work.

1 week later
#943 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Have you tried the primer used for bumpers in the auto industry?

No, I haven't come across that.

I basically duplicated my order for casting materials and plan to make new molds and apply primer to the mold prior to casting the resin.

I'm making new molds so that changes to the original will be captured that came about due to testing.

#944 9 years ago

I got my new order of materials in. I'm not sure at this point how long it will be before I start using them. I have one prototype out in the hands of a pilot user so far and am hoping to get another one out soon. I'm hoping to get some feedback before committing to the "final" sculpture that will be molded this second time around.

Also, I have registered to bring JP to the Louisville Arcade Expo in March for the public unveiling of this mod. If I don't have a final version finished by then, I'll at least bring a fully functional prototype.

In other good news, regardless of how the next run does with paint durability, I've discovered that the lower jaw isn't even going to make much contact with the playfield, if any, like the original did. The main area of impact will be the very tip of the nose/upper front lip, which I'm generally leaving black anyway. That means even as it wears over time, it should remain black since the resin is black.

Thanks for the patience, everyone. I'll get there soon.

Thanks,
Jim

#946 9 years ago

It's been very interesting having my t-rex out in the hands of a couple pilot users so far. I'm getting valuable feedback and am seeing some issues that I think can be avoided with a few adjustments here and there in the final design. It's really interesting getting different perspectives. I've taken my t-rex apart and put it back together so many times I take a lot for granted in the process.

Another interesting thing I've noted is that including the two people who have a prototype so far and myself, none of us are starting with a 100% stock configuration for the t-rex. My jaw link was repaired at the bottom, one pilot user's jaw link was repaired at the top and made thick to the point where it conflicts with the new jaw piece, and the other pilot user had an odd wiring configuration to where the wire was wrapped up and zip tied onto the coil in the back of the t-rex making it so that the head/back piece was fitting on tightly and slightly off to the side which made the jaw link bind up. I can probably accommodate for differences in the thickness of the jaw link in the final version, but the wiring will need to be close to the stock configuration because the new head/back is only leaving enough room for the coil and no extras. At least at this point I'll be able to give examples of what it should look like before installing the new t-rex.

I'm also currently working to improve the pickup success rate and think I'm just about there. In a recent test of 20 pickups, I had a 100% success rate, but I cheated by having a rivet installed in the mouth instead of a screw. By contrast, similar tests with a screw in the mouth had about 90% success rate where sometimes the ball would stay in front of the mouth without getting swallowed. I want the mod to be easy to install and requiring a rivet press complicates things, so I've ordered some different kinds of screws with lower profile heads than I've been using and hope to figure out something that works better.

Thanks,
Jim

#950 9 years ago

Small update: I think I found a screw that's going to work well for attaching the lower jaw in place of the rivet. All of my tests with it installed have been successful. I think I have also figured out most of the adjustments that need to make it into the final version.

Two pilot testers have a prototype now, but I'm going to be sending them out a new jaw and screw soon to further test the adjustments. I've also got a third pilot user now who I still need to ship a prototype to. If a couple weeks of tests end up with good results, I'll start the process of making molds of the final version and will then test out the method for applying primer to the mold prior to casting and test durability. If all goes well, I'll start working my way through the list and start selling them.

#952 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

sheeeesh, grueling process. kudos for sticking with it.

If it were simply a cosmetic mod, I'd have been done by now. Most of the time at this point is spent making it work with as high of a success rate as I can. A lot of time was essentially wasted on casting the ones I've done so far since they require too many manual adjustments to get them to where they need to be, and then there are the paint issues. I'll get all of the adjustments locked into the final mold so that it will require much less manual work to finish one. The first round was all a great learning opportunity, though, and I know how to do it better next time.

The next mod I do is just going to be something nice to look at with no complex functionality.

1 week later
#961 9 years ago

Update: Prototypes are officially in the hands of 3 people.

I'm pretty disheartened, though, that one that was extensively tested and working perfectly for me isn't working out for one of the pilot users... I don't know if there are differences in the way the t-rex is mounted in relation to the outhole or what. We haven't gotten to where we've done any troubleshooting to see if there's an end-user fix, but this doesn't bode well for the future of this mod...

#965 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

Can you expand on what the problems are? Maybe someone is this group can offer a helpful suggestion. There are always going to be subtle differences from 1 game to another, maybe his mouth isn't perfectly centered over the ball, maybe the tabs are broken on the ball cup, I've seen many J.P's where the tabs inside the mouth are completely missing, maybe the motor is failing and slower than yours, the pitch of his game is different, etc etc

I'm still trying to figure out what the exact issue is. It's basically that the new jaw ends up being too thick and may be hindering the ability to pick up the ball. That's feedback that I received from ChadH as well, but the other user is apparently having a 0% success rate so far... This is valuable info, though, and will impact the design of the final jaw.

I'm disheartened, but definitely not giving up. I have too much time and money invested and now I'm accountable to at least 3 people to get a working final version to. We'll get there.

On a side note, any Pinsiders in the Louisville area with a JP willing to allow me to test one in your game? Everything I do would be completely reversible and I wouldn't even need to drill out the rivet in your stock jaw frame as I could use my current one.

#966 9 years ago

Crisis averted! The issue appears to have been resolved with some adjustments to the metal tabs in the lower jaw frame.

Quoted from NYP:

I've seen many J.P's where the tabs inside the mouth are completely missing

Well, if anyone is on the list and has a lower jaw frame in this condition, I encourage you to remove yourself from the list. The new t-rex will NOT work, nor will I support it, without the jaw frame having those two tabs intact. I'll have to make sure to verify this before collecting payment from everyone...

#972 9 years ago

Update: I have modified a couple sets of jaws for the first two pilot users to test (third prototype went out with a relatively up-to-date jaw). I still need to paint them up and mail them out. The new jaw takes into consideration some of the feedback received so far and will hopefully improve pickup success rates and avoid as much contact with pf as possible.

I received my supplied air respirator today. That's a part of the plan to keep me as safe as possible while working on this stuff. The MSDS on some of the uncured casting resins have some scary warnings... The other part of my plan is to build a ventilated room in my basement that will exhaust to the outside. I plan to have my supplied air respirator on while in that space. It may be overkill (I hope it is), but I want to be safe. I may also get to experiment more with the harsh solvents mixed in to thin out the silicone without killing myself.

I need to paint up my prototype that's going to the Louisville Arcade Expo, too.

At any rate, the next steps and estimated timeframes:
1. Paint and ship updated jaws for testing. Hopefully happens by Friday.
2. Paint prototype for Lousville Arcade Expo. Hopefully happens next week.
3. Allow time for testing and feedback, including a lot of play at the expo in March. Maybe about a month?
4. Finalize sculpture, make new molds, and test out paint durability with primer being sprayed into the mold prior to casting. Hopefully within 2 months.
5. Prepare and ship final versions to the three pilot users, and make sure everything's good for them. Hopefully within 3 months.
6. Start producing and selling to people on the list. 3-4 months to start working my way through the list and maybe up to a year to get through the current list.

Oh and 7. Swim in a pool of money! Seriously, though, I hope to put the money towards a LOTR, a cheap cocktail arcade, maybe have enough left for an additional cheaper pin, and maybe actually turn my basement gameroom into a finished space. A NIB isn't out of the question if everyone on the list actually ends up buying a T-rex, but we'll see. Anyway, at this point I'm not banking on anything, but these goals/dreams are what will keep me motivated to finish from this point forward.

Thanks to my 3 testers for their help and support so far and thanks to everyone else for the encouragement and enthusiasm. It has been a long road, and there's still a ways to go, but we'll get there.

Thanks,
Jim

#975 9 years ago

1. Paint and ship updated jaws for testing. Hopefully happens by Friday.

I got these shipped out today.

Next up is painting the one that will go to the Louisville Arcade Expo in 3 weeks. I'll post up some pics when I finish that. I actually applied what I hope ends up being a good primer several weeks ago, so we'll see.

#977 9 years ago

Here's the one that will go to the Louisville Arcade Expo. I'll install soon and get a video.

IMG_20150217_125027.jpgIMG_20150217_125027.jpg
#981 9 years ago

Here's a video of the latest t-rex. It shows several successful pickups in a row.

#985 9 years ago

I think ill have my JP mid to end of March....any luck youll be ready to produce by then?

I probably won't be ready at that point. Even when I start producing, it will be pretty slow-going. If I want to have a life outside of this mod, I'll probably only produce a few a month and the interest list is so long it could be over a year for the people at the end to get theirs.

I'm dreading having to support a bunch of people installing these, too, so we'll see how far I'm willing to get into it before deciding I've had enough. I do support work for a living and have no idea why I'm willing to pollute my hobby with that misery...

#987 9 years ago

Oh, man... so in preparation for the Louisville Arcade Expo I've been tuning up my game, fixing little issues here and there, like a flaky VUK switch, so that it will hopefully hold up the entire time it's there. For the first time in forever I put the glass and lockdown bar back on my game and played a few rounds. It's so nice being able to just play this game.

Good thing Im not on the end....

Bribes work... Maybe this $400 t-rex becomes a $600 t-rex and it's the first production model out the door when they're ready...

#988 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Now you have to get all crazy and install yellow 3mm leds behind the eyes.

All the crazy talk happened a couple pages back.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/14#post-2083226

#995 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I started reading this and when it got to the end I was thinking oh no, don't tell me the T-Rex is hitting the glass

Fortunately I tested this pretty early on! That would have sucked! Actually the new one is probably right about the same height as the original, so there wasn't much risk of it happening.

#999 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

How do you get the T-Rex to eat the ball everytime? Or were those clips just spliced together? My T-Rex only eats the ball at the start of Tri-Ball, during Feed T-Rex, and when I max out the T-Rex bounty.

Quoted from Pimp77:

...and the first time you get it in the saucer. You have it right. Winter must have had it in test or spliced as you said.

I'm not going to give details or share it, but I made some reversible changes to my game for testing purposes. I've run hundreds of tests at this point. You wouldn't want it eating every time when you actually want to play anyway, or it would mess up the intended flow of the game waiting every time, plus you'd wear out the motors faster, and owners of the new t-rex will be able to sufficiently test theirs in-game.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Watching your video, I kept thinking that T-Rex was starting to look more and more pissed off every time you pinched his nose. LOL A testament to your good work!

Ha. In case it wasn't obvious, I was trying to show what happens when it approaches the center from either side, so I had to force it off center both ways. There's actually a bit of a range for when the center switch is active (the only time it will bend down is when the center switch is active). The t-rex can legitimately end up slightly off center to the left or right and I have done a lot of testing and adjustments to accommodate for this and hopefully ensure a successful pickup regardless of where in the center it ends up.

#1000 9 years ago

I assumed JP had an audit for number of times the t-rex eats the ball, but I discovered the other day that it doesn't... I was hoping to be able to track the number of times the t-rex ate the ball during the expo I'm bringing my game to in 2 weeks. Since the game doesn't track it, I figured out a more manual solution.

I remembered seeing a couple of coin meters in my Outrun 2 SP cabinet. Of course I don't care about coin meters in my home arcade, so I removed one and figured out that all it needs is a 5vdc pulse to increment. The pulse doesn't even need to be a specific period of time because as soon as it gets 5v it activates, and no matter how long it's held it only increments once. I decided this meter could be incorporated into my JP as a t-rex eating counter.

To be safe from frying any of the boards on my game, I opted to use a small external 5v power supply that plugs into the service outlet. I figured out a mounting point for a switch that is completely reversible without permanently modifying any part of the game. The switch triggers on the rotation of the up/down motor similar to how the up and down t-rex position switches do. Since, under normal operation, the t-rex only bends down during eating (and a couple times during diagnostics when the game is turned on), the counter should give a pretty accurate representation of the number of times the t-rex attempted to eat the ball. The downside is that the meter can't be reset, so I'll have to record the number at the beginning of the expo and compare it to the number at the end, but that isn't a big deal.

Hopefully at the end of the expo I'll have a pretty good idea of how many times the t-rex ate a ball and I'll be able to see how well it's holding up after that many times.

#1002 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Will it tell you if the ball was attempted to be picked up, but was lost?

No, I don't have a way of doing that without getting more complicated. I'd have to set something up with a microcontroller that has at least two switches, one to sense that the t-rex has bent down, and one in the subway to tell that the ball was successfully eaten.

The game doesn't have any built in t-rex audits except for the number of t-rex saucer hits. Nothing would help indicate that there's an issue with the t-rex...

#1005 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

If you had two coin meters, couldn't you just wire them both up? One on the trex motor and one on the subway? Assuming there's a path on the subway that only the trex ball takes.

I believe there are two switches in the subway (not counting the one on the VUK). The first would only get hit by being eaten by the t-rex. The thing is I can't utilize existing switches for this since it would be throwing a new ground and 5v into the switch matrix, and I don't know if there's a good way to mount a new switch in the subway without permanently modifying it.

#1006 9 years ago

Things are looking pretty good with my latest version of the t-rex. So far I've got a 100% successful pickup and swallow rate. Since adding the counter in and actually playing the game instead of just testing, I've got about 45 pickups counted give or take when considering startup audits.

#1008 9 years ago

Just a suggestion and that might not work since I don't know how much they store.

That would be my concern... Well, and then I'd have to watch hours of boring video instead of playing my game!

While it would be good info, I'm not that concerned about successful pickups since I'm seeing a 100% success rate so far. I mainly want a count of how many times it bent down and what it looks like from a wear perspective after that many times.

1 week later
#1009 9 years ago

The t-rex is on display at the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend. I forgot to check the t-rex counter when I left tonight. Overall it seems to be holding up fine after the first day. 2 more days to go.

#1010 9 years ago

Since the beginning of the expo JP has had nearly constant play. 443 total plays according to the audit. My t-rex counter shows 188 so far. One more day to go.

Apparently this can happen to the ball...IMG_20150308_095504.jpgIMG_20150308_095504.jpg

#1013 9 years ago

586 total plays and T-rex counter shows 288. I'm not seeing any wear on it, but I'll take it out and inspect closer some day soon.

#1014 9 years ago

Update: I still haven't taken the t-rex out to inspect after the expo last weekend. I'll do it soon. I'm not in a huge rush, though, because I've got two people taking their prototypes to MGC next month. I want to see if anything comes up there that I need to factor into the final design.

#1017 9 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It would be cool to put an LED in the head to give the eyes a little light, not Terminator red or anything but a faint touch of yellow or green might look cool.

That's not happening. I only jokingly brought up the idea several pages ago and some vocal folks made sure to shut it down before the idea became serious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

496 posts in this topic match your search for posts by winteriscoming. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.