thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#309 9 years ago

If only Smaug was this cool......

1 month later
#522 9 years ago

Stern should buy a bunch of these from winteriscoming. That, along with the new code that ChadH is writing, they could run a Jurassic Park Vault Edition next summer in time for the 4th movie!

#568 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Yeah, it's just that it requires the original t-rex frame. I guess it would be possible to somehow glue it together into a free-standing sculpture, but I think there are better options out there for t-rex sculptures if you're just wanting something to sit on a shelf.
I've never played LWJP, but want one for the theme alone. If I ever get one, I'd certainly consider making mods.

You might just be able to afford one after this project!

$$$$$$

1 week later
#650 9 years ago

I vote for the green one. Looks more like the T-REX from the movie.

#708 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I have some concerns that are giving me some anxiety with this project so thought I'd throw them out there:
1. Wanting to keep things on the up-and-up, I'll need to pay taxes on the income I make from selling these. Might need to pay sales tax, too, at least for anyone purchasing in Indiana... Oh what fun that's going to be to figure out... Paying taxes, as I should, means less money recouped for my efforts and therefore I might need to charge more than I would have liked.
2. If I take PayPal payments (the easiest way to collect payments), I have no real protection from getting screwed over by an unscrupulous buyer. Other forms of payment are going to be a hassle for me and the buyer.
3. What if Universal (or Data East via Stern?) wants to shut me down? Am I replicating something that requires a license? As far as I can tell, the Papo dinosaur toy line is based off of JP dinos, but aren't licensed and they're making more money than I'd ever hope to make on this project. I guess that would be the precedent for me not being as concerned about this issue.
The business side of this is going to be what makes me not enjoy this project...

Anyone buying from you that lives in Indiana has to pay you sales tax, which you turn over to the state. Outside of that, it's up to the buyer's local laws and their own sense of duty to pay their state or not.

#721 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, this isn't legal advice, blah blah. But I can tell you what I do.
I take money via Paypal, haven't had a single person try and screw me or anything. I've refunded a couple payments for various reasons (some were my fault) and that's painless. I've heard the nightmare stories, but my experience is the pinball collector community is full of solid people, haven't run into a bad egg yet.
I will say though that Paypal can be tricky, if they notice a sudden spike of money coming into your account they can lock it down, demand to know what you're selling, who your supplier is, proof that you're shipping it, etc. I had to deal with that. First person I talked to wasn't helpful, second one when I explained it was just hobby stuff on a forum totally got it and bypassed the BS, just asked for shipping numbers so they could see I was actually sending people what they paid for. Once I provided that my account was unlocked, no problems since. Something to keep in mind.
I report all my earnings to the IRS and pay taxes on them. I deduct all my expenses from that, the cost of printing, shipping, buying boxes and labels, supplies for prototyping etc.
Technically Paypal won't report anything to the IRS as long as you bring in under $20,000 a year, but I believe in keeping everything above board and legit. My books aren't necessarily organized, but I really do pay all my taxes, and I'd survive an audit (I hope I never have to test that!)
I'm already incorporated, so I just report the earnings as part of my corporate profit, my CPA handles all that. I don't know what your situation is, if you're filing under self employed income there's some crap you have to deal with, but it's not that hard, I did that for years before I got serious enough to incorporate. Not for pinball mods, my design company, just to be clear.
My real advice though? Charge as much as you need to. Don't worry about the price. If it's too much money for some people they can not buy it. I definitely don't look to gouge anyone on my projects, I feel like they're priced fairly for the market, but I factor everything into my price. Not just the cost of materials, and shipping, but all the time I have to spend managing orders, printing labels, folding boxes etc. It can seriously be a full time thing some days. And that's not factoring in the #1 cost: the time to develop things. I spend hours and hours getting the art right so I'm happy with it. And I know you feel me on that one! That time is precious, it's what makes the mod count.
I honestly don't think I've had a single person complain to me about my prices. But if they did I'd basically shrug. I wouldn't be a dick or anything, but if it's not worth it to you then don't buy it, these are just for fun. I'm not selling water in the middle of a desert.
I'm working on something new right now that's more ambitious than my previous projects. It will require multiple vendors and assembly and more prototyping and research than usual; if I end up offering it to people it will probably not be cheap. If people think it's too expensive I simply won't make it, I'll enjoy it on my personal machine (only hint I'm dropping!) and life will go on.
So figure out what you think you should charge. And then add 25% to that because you're probably being too conservative.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Do you collect CA sales tax for residents of the state that order your products?

#735 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't, and I'm honestly ignorant of that whole side of things. I guess if you're set up right that you can get a resale license, and then not pay sales tax on the materials you need to buy to sell? I dunno.
I'm used to running a business and paying taxes, but I'm not any kind of retail expert, my income is a service/consultant driven thing. This is just a hobby, it was never meant to be any kind of job or make serious money. I'm paying the IRS and that's about as far as my crazy advanced scheming goes.

I guess I wouldn't sweat it too much. Now, if you collected the sales tax and didn't turn it over, then Governor Moonbeam might want to have a little chat with you!

5 months later
#1056 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

If they come out with a color DMD, the gate that opens gets made, and you make this a go, this is going to be one sexy game.

And the new code.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress?tu=captain_kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.