thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Trex is very touchy already. Many already have problem with him picking up the ball, due to the nose not going down enough or closing properly. Your going to have your hands full on this one. I hope you can pull it off, it's a project I wouldn't want to be undertaking.

Glad you're so positive. It's looking good, keep it up!

6 months later
#171 9 years ago

Looking good.

5 months later
#386 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm at the stage now where I'm making molds (or I want to). Unfortunately it's going to take a lot more material than I had on hand... I prepped all the pieces and poured the molds for the chest/throat and the jaw, but that cleaned me out. One of them ended up not getting as much poured on it as I would have liked, so it may not even be a usable mold.
So far my biggest expense has been time since I had all the materials on hand, but at this point I'm going to have to invest money into the project to go any further.

Lots of buyers are lined up when you get it done.

#388 9 years ago

I'd consider taking pre-orders, but I can't guarantee a price at this point and I don't feel that comfortable taking the money up front.
I'd also consider a kick-starter campaign or something, but I don't know what incentives I could give for people to donate.
I'm more than likely going to figure out how to fund it on my own. That way I'm really only accountable to me.

I like the cut of your jib...I'll be a buyer.

#471 9 years ago

Big thanks to dnaman for offering to let me borrow a t-rex frame!
Been working on cloning some dinos...

I'm going to cast as many as I can with the resin I have. It has a limited shelf life, so I'm going to use it up while I can. I have no idea how many that will produce. Not everything that was cast today ended up being usable, so we'll see how many complete units I get out of my current stock of materials. I've got measurements, mixing, pouring and demolding for each part pretty well figured out, so I'm producing them more efficiently now.

IMG_20141120_205955.jpg 189 KB

Sweeeeet!!!

#544 9 years ago

I'm not sure about that. The orignal has teeth on it, which aren't necessary.
Here's my first go at painting one. I'm not calling this finished at this point. The pink needs to be toned down a lot more.

IMG_20141126_004120.jpg 275 KB

IMG_20141126_004146.jpg 284 KB

IMG_20141126_004159.jpg 286 KB

#601 9 years ago

She looks more brown there. I'll do a brown version for the next one and see what everyone thinks.

I love the green one, but maybe the brown would be even better? Personally, I like the darker green...

#637 9 years ago

I'm not ready to sell yet and haven't locked down a price. I still have some more experiments, such as a clearcoat, and play testing to do.

Keep plugging! It's truly the coolest mod I've seen.

#759 9 years ago

Here are a couple different pupil sizes and squint levels with the 7mm eye. I like the size, but I feel like when installed in the game, they're not picking up much light and are kind of dark.
The one on the left is the original brown one with an 8mm eye, for comparison.

IMG_20141208_193641.jpg 194 KB

IMG_20141208_195256.jpg 169 KB

IMG_20141208_200252.jpg 176 KB

IMG_20141208_200307.jpg 160 KB

IMG_20141208_201052.jpg 149 KB

I like first pic, right Rex best.

I say whoever didn't read your posts and PMs you to buy or get in line gets banned for life!

#890 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Right now the main issues are:
1. The paint isn't holding up as well as I'd like, especially around the mouth where it makes contact with the pf. I'm already seeing wear and it hasn't been that long. I realize now that skipping out on primer is making it so that the paint isn't adhering as well as it should. I'm able to easily scratch it off with my fingernails. I'll need to experiment with some primer and see if that cuts down on this issue.
What about some sort of clear coat?

That was my first thoughts...seal her up.

#930 9 years ago

A related change I'm thinking about for this game is beefing up the gears for the t-rex motors. Anyone know how feasible it would be to have replacement gears made in metal? Even if exact replacements can't be found or made cheaply, shouldn't it be possible to just find some stock-made gears and configure them into a custom gearbox?
The way the game senses where the t-rex is located is based solely on switches, so the gear ratio (as long as it's similar enough and the motor is strong enough) and speed of the movement that may change with different gears shouldn't matter.

My Trex left-right motion sputters and is slow...I like it disabled, but if it could be improved I would be for it.

1 month later
#967 9 years ago

Update: Prototypes are officially in the hands of 3 people.
I'm pretty disheartened, though, that one that was extensively tested and working perfectly for me isn't working out for one of the pilot users... I don't know if there are differences in the way the t-rex is mounted in relation to the outhole or what. We haven't gotten to where we've done any troubleshooting to see if there's an end-user fix, but this doesn't bode well for the future of this mod...

I happen to be the third prototype tester and am happy to report I've solved the issue with the ops advice. It was complete user error (me) not watching all the great install material. I needed to bend the tabs on the lower jaw bracket so they are as far forward as possible! Did that and I haven't seen a failed "bite" yet after about 30 tries. YES!! It's a fantastic mod with excellent quality and it's highly recommended by me after seeing it work live. Testing it more now...

image.jpgimage.jpg image-203.jpgimage-203.jpg
#973 9 years ago

As the third tester...I STILL have yet to see a failed pick-up from the jaw I have after getting it to work. Probably 50-60 "bites". I'll have to check for wear up close later on to see if there is any paint wear in the suspect areas. I think not. I do think the switch just misses the lower jaw, which was an issue on the original.

1 week later
#997 9 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

How do you get the T-Rex to eat the ball everytime? Or were those clips just spliced together? My T-Rex only eats the ball at the start of Tri-Ball, during Feed T-Rex, and when I max out the T-Rex bounty.

...and the first time you get it in the saucer. You have it right. Winter must have had it in test or spliced as you said.

3 months later
#1087 8 years ago

Wow, I think you've improved the teeth some! Looks spectacular!

#1094 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Holy crap, that looks awesome. If this T-Rex works half as good as it looks you have a winner on your hands.
Gord

Works flawlessly. A must have mod for any JP owner.

#1096 8 years ago

I was looking back over posts and I think I've been trying to be pretty transparent about the process and such. It's been fun having all the feedback along the way. I would totally do another mod using the same method. You have all been a big source of inspiration and motivation.
One conversation I wanted to wrap up was pricing. I think I landed on the sweet spot pricing-wise where I'm motivated to make them and interest is still there from buyers. I also considered that it was a mod I really wanted and had someone else produced it, I think I would have been willing to pay $400.
I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of people on the interest list, and the list keeps growing. Thanks to everyone who has asked to go on the list. People will inevitably drop-out before the end, but that's the nature of the beast. I'm fine with that and ultimately my method of doing this is taking a long time and interest can diminish over a long period. I'm very glad I decided to go with no pre-order money so that ultimately I'm not as stressed out about production time. I'm collecting money when your t-rex is ready to ship.
It's too difficult to go back and quote people, but I think there were some who hoped I would come in at a lower pricing point and I'm sorry to have priced them out of being interested. I think there were suggestions anywhere from $50 to $100 and on up to $600.
Just to be clear, my material cost per unit is very reasonable. I'm mostly charging for my time to produce them and I guess, to a certain point, the super long R&D period.
It's kind of related to pricing I guess, but if I add up materials and tools I've invested in for this project so far, it's probably been about $1200 and I'm just now at the point where, if I don't have any more accidents, I'll have 13 production t-rexes to sell after that investment. I'll easily be able to make that back, though, and my price per unit will go down as I make more, so it hasn't really factored into the pricing decision necessarily.
Just for some economics fun, let's consider some gross income based on sales and not consider my time to make one or my material costs... or income tax that I'm probably not doing a good job at planning for...
If I sold 10 at $400, I gross $4000.
It would take me 40 at $100 to gross that much.
It would take me 80 at $50 to gross that much.
Had I priced them at $600, it would have taken about 7 to get just over $4k.
There's not that big of a difference between making 10 and 7 of them, so that's how I landed on the price of $400. I feel like I'm compensated enough for my time at that price to justify producing them. If I wanted to work for free, I'd just stop now and move on to another personal project and be much more entertained.
Anyway, not sure if anyone was interested, but I hope that explains some things with regards to the pricing.
Thanks again for all the interest and support!
-Jim

No need to go into that pricing speech to justify anything. The product and quality of the fit/finish is well worth the $400 and speaks for itself. Looking at the original toothless t-Rex (which looks like a brontosaurus) next to your masterpiece is laughable. Putting in your Rex instantly changes the vibe of the game (in a fantastic way). It goes from campiness to serious and cool. Best single mod in pinball (along with colordmd).

#1097 8 years ago

Double

#1106 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

How well is this going to hold up against ball strikes? I keep picturing those teeth getting knocked out. I think I would burst into tears.

The teeth are silicone, so they flex. In fact, when he eats the ball they kind of push through the teeth. After hundreds of "eats" on mine it shows no signs of wear so no concerns there.

1 week later
#1131 8 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Just checked UPS and mine is due home in a few hrs. Can't wait to finally see this masterpiece in person.

I was amazed at the quality when I opened mine. It really is something you need to see in person. It's that good.

#1137 8 years ago

Wasn't supposed to be here until Wednesday but got a surprise tonight! It's even better than the prototype! Looks good in my hands without the bottom teeth even! Loving the battle damage scar.

Probably won't be able to install until the weekend though...image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

2 months later
#1160 8 years ago

Just wanted to give an update on this. I'll definitely be getting the current run out the door eventually, but I've got a life event that's likely going to disrupt future production: My wife and I are having a baby, due in March!
I have no idea what impact the baby will have on this product over the next year (and after), but it's probably safe to assume my already slow production time will get even slower.
Those of you who have never fathered a baby might be thinking, "but March is so far away! Get those t-rexes finished before then!" Well... there's the whole pregnancy thing leading up to it that takes up way more of your time than you'd think.

Congrats! One will suck most of your free time. Have a second and its virtually gone. I know from recent experience. I have almost no pinball time anymore.

1 month later
#1234 8 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

I am pretty sure it is just the tabs. I bent them out a fair amount, but didn't have enough time to tweak it and test it more. If all goes well, I will knock off work early this afternoon and get serious about getting it done.

I had a similar issue...bending the tabs out was the solution and I have not seen a missed "bite" yet. My left/right motion is disabled so that helps with perfect alignment every time too. Let me know if you need pics, but basically get the tabs out as far as you can while still fitting in the mold.

#1236 8 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

Thanks. I bent the tabs out more and bent the sides on the lower jaw out at the end by the tabs and it picks up the ball every time. However, it doesn't swallow the ball. I have a fair amount of play in the up/down movement so the T-Rex does not come completely upright after picking up the ball (I can push him back another 1/2ish), so I think him leaning slightly forward puts enough slope on the lower jaw that the ball does not roll back into the chute. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do to solve the T-Rex not swallowing the ball?

Hmmm, ok. I never had a swallow problem. Is it hanging up on the screw head or just not enough slope?
And is the Rex doing the chomp motion to push it back?

#1239 8 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

Not hanging up on the screw, I countersunk it. T-Rex is chomping, but there doesn't seem to be enough slope for the ball to roll back. I temporarily put a thick piece of curved felt inside the lower jaw behind the tabs that forces the ball back about 3/8 inch and that is enough for T-Rex to swallow the ball about 1/2 the time. The rest of the time the ball ends up jumping out the front.

A close up video would help. You might have bent the tabs too far. Does your trex move left/right?

#1244 8 years ago

Another factor that could impact swallowing is playfield slope. I could see a more sloped pf leading to difficulty.

My game has the back legs all the way up and the front all the way down...the chomping motion should take care of any slope issues. I want to see how it sits in the mouth when first bit.

1 month later
#1299 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

First baby? If so, say goodbye to any/all free time.
Congrats, by the way.

Not entirely true...90% of it is gone though. When you have the second, 99% is gone. I'm down to one night, a couple hours a week after everyone falls asleep for my pinball time.

3 months later
#1316 8 years ago

Completely unrelated to T-rex production, other than being an excuse for me not to make them, my daughter was born on Sunday. Everything is going well with mom and baby. Dad is coming up with lots of ideas for projects on the CNC machine.

Congrats. I guess t-Rex production is over for a while. Your free time is greatly diminished.

1 year later
#1411 6 years ago

Along with the WOZ red smoke witch, this is the best mod you can buy for a Pinball machine!

2 months later
#1449 6 years ago

If winteriscoming is cool with it, I'd maybe sell someone either my prototype or production version. I'm ecstatic with either version, but it's kind of a shame to just display one on my work desk and not have it in a machine somewhere for somebody wanting one...though it does look cool there too!

3 months later
#1457 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

#14 reporting for duty....FINALLY.
Got my guy picking up balls no problem...swallowing them, theres the issue.
Any good ways to fix this other than piling up some sugru in his jaw? Id like to not hide the tongue decal if i can.
Thanks again whysnow for making the best mod ever and also providing a ton of install resources. The video was very helpful.

Whysnow? I think you mean winteriscoming.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenville, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress?tu=Pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.