thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I can fund the project. That's not holding me up. Besides, I don't want to actually be accountable to you guys! Then you'll really put the pressure on!

Honestly, though, I don't want to take any money from anyone until I know I've got something I think will hold up and I'm proud to put my name on.

Smart!

3 weeks later
#152 9 years ago

I don't have a JP but my sister does and I'm confident she would buy one. The person who can bring a mod like this to market first will make some really good cash.

#153 9 years ago

Wow !! It's beautiful!!
I'm interested in 2 or 3 sets !!

2 weeks later
#156 9 years ago

Update, please....

#157 9 years ago

Nothing more to share, yet. I hope to have something worth showing soon.

#158 9 years ago

I'll wait here.....

#160 9 years ago

Anything yet?

#161 9 years ago

Nothing more to share, yet. I hope to have something worth showing soon.

Outstanding! You have done a great job and I am looking forward to the progress!

#162 9 years ago

The prospect of making money on this mod is a good motivator. Pinball is an expensive addiction that I've dropped a ton more cash on than I expected to since getting into it a year and a half ago.

#163 9 years ago

The prospect of making money on this mod is a good motivator. Pinball is an expensive addiction that I've dropped a ton more cash on than I expected to since getting into it a year and a half ago.

$$$$$$$$$

#164 9 years ago

Add another to the list of people ready to hand over money. I just bought a JP last night. T-Rex isn't working right atm but once it is he will definitely need a new skin. Patiently waiting and great job so far.

1 week later
#165 9 years ago

This looks really good! A significant improvement over the original. I just got a JP this week. I am now enthusiastically looking forward to this modification.

#166 9 years ago

Nice job developing a mod for the T-Rex! I'm in for one as well when it's ready.

#167 9 years ago

Release date coinciding with JP World??
Keep up the great work! I am IN!!!!

#168 9 years ago

Here's a bit of an update.

One of the hangups on this project has been the scales, both in the time it takes with the current material and my overall dissatisfaction with them. I'm trying out a new material that, if it works, will make the rest of the sculpting process go much quicker. Also, if it works, I'm going to end up resculpting all scales as I can knock out some good looking scales quickly that should also be a bit more conducive to the mold making process.

The new material takes 24 hours to cure, so I'll know more tomorrow...

In case it's not obvious, the new material is white, and adheres well over the existing sculpture.

IMG_20140604_213746.jpgIMG_20140604_213746.jpg

#170 9 years ago

Will be doing a full restore on mine in the future. Will definitely be on the list for this one.

#171 9 years ago

Looking good.

#172 9 years ago

A great looking project, you have done a great job so far. I look forward to seeing the end result.

#173 9 years ago

Impressive! Sign me up for one.

#174 9 years ago

Well, yeah, that's one of the hangups, too! I just can't decide if I really want scales or feathers...

#175 9 years ago

Well, yeah, that's one of the hangups, too! I just can't decide if I really want scales or feathers...

LOL!
Awesome job you are doing!!! I cannot wait to see it!

#176 9 years ago

This is amazing! I'm so happy to stumble upon this, I love JP but oof that T-Rex.

The scales are looking great and he's looking great! I'm definitely in line for one of these. Even unfinished it already looks better.

#177 9 years ago

My JP is for sale, but if I don't sell before this is finished I'm buying one for sure! This along with the new code is very tempting to make it a keeper.

#178 9 years ago

The new material, which is an epoxy putty, is working out really well. I'm able to put a thin layer of it over the previous sculpture and get better results for the scales. The other material is polymer clay that hardens with heat. So for the rest of this project, I should be able to get the underlying form done in polymer clay and then follow up with the epoxy for some scales.

Even though the epoxy makes it easier for me to do scales quickly, it is a difficult material to work with since it's tacky and stays pretty soft for a long time. That means I can only use it in sections at a time, per day, that allow me to still handle the sculpture without messing anything up.

At any rate, I'm liking the results so far and am confident this will yeild a good final sculpture.

After I finish up the head, I'll move on to the body.

IMG_20140606_181807.jpgIMG_20140606_181807.jpg
IMG_20140606_181846.jpgIMG_20140606_181846.jpg

#179 9 years ago

Looks awesome.

#180 9 years ago

Excellent! A work of art.

#181 9 years ago

on the sidelines Cheering!

#182 9 years ago

Is the weight of your mod roughly around the same as the existing plastic t-rex that's on the game ? I just know these motors are notoriously crappy any extra strain wouldn't be ideal. What's going to be used for the eyes, glass ? Out side of that so far cosmetically looks like it's coming along verrry nicely. Your T-rex design aka Stan Winstons is what the game should of had instead of Data East's version. I'm in for one on my JP depending on price point. Do you have a ball park price in mind yet ? feel free to PM me when it's done and add me to your list if your taking user names.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Is the weight of your mod roughly around the same as the existing plastic t-rex that's on the game ? I just know these motors are notoriously crappy any extra strain wouldn't be ideal. What's going to be used for the eyes, glass ? Out side of that so far cosmetically looks like it's coming along verrry nicely. Your T-rex design aka Stan Winstons is what the game should of had instead of Data East's version. I'm in for one on my JP depending on price point. Do you have a ball park price in mind yet ? feel free to PM me when it's done and add me to your list if your taking user names.

I won't know anything about final weight until I've made a mold and cast it. It shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't decided what to do for the eyes yet. I like the idea of glass eyes, but at the size I need, I don't think I'm going to find any that are detailed enough. The ones I'm seeing look like there's no consistency in quality: ebay.com link: 12 PAIR 3mm 8mm Glass Eyes Wire Loops Choose size color Teddy Bears LP 201

I won't know prices until I've produced some. I have to figure in material costs and how long it takes to finish one. I may end up selling them in a few different tiers: unpainted for those who want to DIY, standard paint job, and premium paint job. Again, I won't know until I get that far. At the end of the day, the money I make producing them has to be worth my time or I won't be making them.

#184 9 years ago

I can understand where you coming from. But honestly as long as it isn't crazy price, i'll want one. With what you are doing it will in my opinion just make the pin so much better. You have truly great talent from what I have seen so far and look forward to seeing the final product.

Just wish it wouldn't take so long

#185 9 years ago

A little closer... I wish the epoxy didn't take so long to cure, but it's kind of nice being restricted to small sections at a time since I can work on it here and there and then not worry about messing it up later.

IMG_20140608_123358.jpgIMG_20140608_123358.jpg

#186 9 years ago

Firstly that looks dope so far!! Secondly.. I'm a huge fan of JP series forgetting about the pinball machine ....As a side note I'm actually looking foward to JP4 aka Jurassic World in (2015). I read that they are now filming certain scenes at an abandoned Six Flag in New Orleans.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/jurassic-park-4-is-being-shot-in-this-gorgeous-abandone-1587151668

Also... What ever happened to someone making the gates on the ramp open up like in the movie ? Instead of just a plastic flat piece above the ramp... I coulda sworn I read someone was going to make that mod.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Also... What ever happened to someone making the gates on the ramp open up like in the movie ? Instead of just a plastic flat piece above the ramp... I coulda sworn I read someone was going to make that mod.

I thought I had read that one in the JP Mods thread, and someone even had the beginnings of a good-looking LED-lit gate. You might post there and ask. I don't want to commit to another project before finishing the T-REX, but it's something I'd potentially be interested in doing.

#188 9 years ago

A bit more progress...

I spent a while today sculpting a new version of the top of the head and then compared to this one since there are a few things I don't like about it. After comparing the two, I realized the lack of eyes was throwing me off, so now I see that what I didn't like is fixable on the current sculpture.
IMG_20140611_175629.jpgIMG_20140611_175629.jpg
IMG_20140611_175647.jpgIMG_20140611_175647.jpg

#189 9 years ago

i am so stoked for this!

#190 9 years ago

Wasn't Matt at BAC working on one of these too? Look under the link "In the works" from the left side navigation.
http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Wasn't Matt at BAC working on one of these too? Look under the link "In the works" from the left side navigation.http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

I can't speak to his project.

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Wasn't Matt at BAC working on one of these too? Look under the link "In the works" from the left side navigation.
http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

I know nothing about BAC's plans and don't even own a JP, but just looking at that picture, the t-rex on the right looks great but looking at the shape of the mouth and teeth it doesn't look to me like it was designed to "eat" the ball. Which makes me wonder if that's just a reference BAC was/is looking at in thinking about this project, rather than a prototype of some kind.

#193 9 years ago

The pic on the BackAlley site is from the actual full-size model used in filming the movie. It is just for reference to show that the Rex in the game doesn't exactly look like a Rex. I got my JP almost exactly 2 years ago, and that page was on this website at the time and nothing has changed. I would imagine he's busy doing WOZ and Predator things these days and has never actually gotten around to it.

Looking forward to seeing the final one here and hopefully upgrading mine someday.

#194 9 years ago

I moved the crest on top of the head back some and made it less pronounced. To do this I had to grind down a lot of the top and re-sculpt. I like it better and it's also more symmetrical from the front now.

I may just be able to finish up the head tomorrow.

IMG_20140612_133021.jpgIMG_20140612_133021.jpg
IMG_20140612_132850.jpgIMG_20140612_132850.jpg
IMG_20140612_132924.jpgIMG_20140612_132924.jpg

#195 9 years ago

that is looking pretty freaking sweet! Can't wait to see it with some teeth.

#196 9 years ago

Amazing job! This is looking seriously cool already.

#197 9 years ago

I brow in the presents of greatness, we're not worthy. Seriously, this is looking great! Well done!

#198 9 years ago

OK, bow, not brow

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

OK, bow, not brow

I read it as "eye brow" in the presence of greatness.

#200 9 years ago

That's really clever. Very nice work. If I owned this pin- this seems like a no brainer. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.