thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 36.
#1701 4 years ago

For the 3D printed version, I'm planning to include a frame for mounting the parts for display outside of the game. This would also work for anyone sitting on a cast version that hasn't been installed in all these years.

t-rex frame (resized).PNGt-rex frame (resized).PNG
#1702 4 years ago

The stand is working out.

IMG_20191011_1404045 (resized).jpgIMG_20191011_1404045 (resized).jpg
#1703 4 years ago

Damn thats dope....any way you can put a handle on it with an armature to bite at people as they enter my office? LOL!

Wish I could afford another ones just to put on display. Very cool dude.

#1704 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Damn thats dope....any way you can put a handle on it with an armature to bite at people as they enter my office? LOL!
Wish I could afford another ones just to put on display. Very cool dude.

I thought about allowing the jaw to actuate, but I don't want teeth crashing into each other. When installed in the game, the jaw frame is keeping the teeth from making contact.

#1705 4 years ago

Awesome looking T-rex Thanks for sharing the photos...

#1706 4 years ago

damn that t-rex has some bright pearly whites. who's he got to brush since his little t-rex arms are obviously too short to allow him to brush his own

#1707 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

damn that t-rex has some bright pearly whites. who's he got to brush since his little t-rex arms are obviously too short to allow him to brush his own

I was going to start with white, but I'm going with a beige for the base color. They'll be painted, and made to look much dirtier. If any of the paint wears, I'd rather have beige show through than white.

IMG_20191014_1127519 (resized).jpgIMG_20191014_1127519 (resized).jpg
#1708 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Milkbone treats are a must for healthy white T-Rex teeth.
Milkbone (resized).pngMilkbone (resized).png

#1709 4 years ago

Amazing work! Checking every monday for a heartbeat on this thread!

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

Amazing work! Checking every monday for a heartbeat on this thread!

I agree.....I check daily to see what progress has been made. 3D printing has been awesome for pinball community and the people that have developed the best products....

2 weeks later
#1711 4 years ago

Painting was started on a couple of t-rexes and is the current hold up until I get a chance to finish.

In the meantime, I'd like to explore offering unpainted ones. Is there still interest for this?

Tentative pricing on 3D-printed t-rex is:
Painted - $375+shipping
Unpainted - $325+shipping

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Painting was started on a couple of t-rexes and is the current hold up until I get a chance to finish.
In the meantime, I'd like to explore offering unpainted ones. Is there still interest for this?
Painted - $375+shipping

I'll take a painted version when they are done.

#1713 4 years ago

I know you had mentioned that you still had a couple of the cast models that you may paint and sell, the 3D printed looks like it is very comparable, is there any advantage to either one looks or material wise?

#1714 4 years ago

Painted - $375+shipping

I'd like a painted one please.

#1715 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

I know you had mentioned that you still had a couple of the cast models that you may paint and sell, the 3D printed looks like it is very comparable, is there any advantage to either one looks or material wise?

This will probably merit a few more details and some pics, but I doubt anything will happen with the cast parts I have left anytime soon. While I do have the resin pieces to make up some complete sets, I don't have the silicone teeth. I dislike casting the teeth and they were a major impetus for attempting a 3D printed version.

That said, there are some differences I want everyone to be aware of. Whether or not they're pros or cons, I guess is up to interpretation.

Weight:
The cast version is much heavier than stock. I never found performance to be an issue, but wonder if the added weight can potentially stress the underlying components over time. I may not be much to worry about, but the 3D printed version is much lighter than the cast version due to the hollow nature of 3D printing with internal supports.

Overall appearance:
I think from the player's perspective, you're not really going to notice much, but the 3D printed one does have layer lines. I think these show in the enlarged pictures way more than you see with the naked eye, even up close. For anyone familiar with 3D printing, I decided to go with .15mm layer height for a compromise between time taken to print and overall appearance. The cast versions, of course, don't have layer lines.
The cast version were made from molds of a hand sculpted model. They have imperfections and a level of asymmetry that I notice more in comparison to the 3D printed one. The 3D printed one is symetrical, as it was modeled in 3D that way.
The 3D printed one has different details and is actually more detailed in some areas. It also has more consistent scale patterning throughout.
The upper part of the t-rex that makes up the top part of the head and the back is printed in 2 parts and screwed together. The cast version had this all as one part. Therefore there is a seam between the 2 parts on the 3D printed version. It doesn't end up being very noticeable, but I want everyone to be aware of it. You should be able to see it on some of the closeups from the side that have been posted so far. The good news with this method is that if there is breakage at some point in the future, it would be possible to replace the broken part at a reasonable cost and turn-around time.

Teeth:
The silicone teeth in the cast version were done in an effort to avoid broken teeth. However I never figured out a good way to paint them and ultimately abandoned the idea in favor of uniform coloring. The 3D printed one has 3D printed rigid teeth that are designed such that they shouldn't make contact, to avoid chance of collision and broken teeth. They can be painted and therefore look better than the cast ones, I think. Note that the 3D printed t-rex has the top part of the mouth open a little wider than the cast one, sitting off of the frame a little more, in an effort to avoid collision. That is to say that while the jaw mech is moving the same amount as it always does, the teeth in the jaw are not making contact with the upper teeth in the most closed position. It's the metal of the jaw frame coming up to the upper frame that catches the ball, and not the model itself (as it should be).

Replacement parts:
In the event of future breakage, the cast version is not going to have replacement parts available. For the 3D printed version I can make replacement parts relatively easily if there is a need.

Conclusion:
In no way do I want to make anyone who purchased a cast version to feel like they got shorted here. I'm very proud of it and am happy that I was able to make it available for those who got one. The effort involved in making them is high and it wasn't something I was interested in doing long-term. I'm also very proud of what I've been able to accomplish with 3D printing, which is a process I originally dismissed as inappropriate for this kind of application.

As 3D printing improves, so too might my offerings. Purchase a current 3D printed version for what it is now: The currently available, better-looking alternative to the stock t-rex. Hold out 5-10 years and maybe I'll have a better printer and I'll be making even better versions, but maybe I won't be interested in doing it by then.

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

I'll take a painted version when they are done.

Quoted from Wharhed:

I'd like a painted one please.

I've regretted starting lists before. So let's call this a soft interest check-in. I'll probably still post here when they're up for grabs, but I can give those who expressed interested in a post here a courtesy PM.

Due to my day job, I'll probably be slow to churn these out for the rest of this year.

#1717 4 years ago

Will this be only available to US based Pinsiders or will it be open to worldwide customers this time around?

I do recall you didn’t want to deal with international payments last time.

#1718 4 years ago

I'd love a painted one as well please.

#1719 4 years ago

I'd also love a Painted one, if shipping is available to Canada.

#1720 4 years ago

a painted one would be awesome!!!

#1721 4 years ago

winteriscoming -- outta curiosity, do you know how many of these things you've made over the years? I know they're all individually numbered by you but I would be very curious to know more about its history.

#1722 4 years ago

I've had some PMs I haven't responded to yet, so hang tight.

There's a good amount of interest from people outside of the US. I'm open to the possibility of shipping internationally at this point. One t-rex was sent to Canada so far, so I've got a little international shipping experience under my belt now. I'm not ready to take on a high volume of orders yet, so please be patient.

#1723 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

winteriscoming -- outta curiosity, do you know how many of these things you've made over the years? I know they're all individually numbered by you but I would be very curious to know more about its history.

I think the last one of the cast versions to go out was #25 and I have #0. I'm not sure on number of potential cast versions I have left in stock. Probably less than 10.

Then there are 3 cast prototypes in other hands as well. I can't remember how or if I numbered those differently.

I also personally have cast prototypes in various stages and my original sculpture. They will not enter circulation if I can help it.

I have several 3D printed drafts and prototypes.

#1724 4 years ago

I would like a painted one.

#1725 4 years ago

I was out of town last week! I'll take whatever is left - painted or unpainted

#1726 4 years ago

I haven't reached out to anyone yet, but will probably prioritize US buyers on this first batch just in case something comes up where I have to replace a part. I still haven't gotten a chance to wrap up painting on the first few.

1 week later
#1727 4 years ago

I haven't reached out to anyone yet, but will probably prioritize US buyers on this first batch just in case something comes up where I have to replace a part. I still haven't gotten a chance to wrap up painting on the first few.

You're doing the lord's work right there.

1 month later
#1728 4 years ago

This T-Rex looks amazing! Any update on the progress? I'd love to pick one of these up!

1 month later
#1729 4 years ago

Anyone interested in purchasing and picking up in person at the Louisville Arcade Expo?

I have been swamped with work and life, and did not finish the 3 I had started, but they're mostly ready. I could have them ready by the expo if anyone is interested.

2 months later
#1730 3 years ago

Any closer to selling these?

1 month later
#1731 3 years ago

Anyone interested in purchasing and picking up in person at the Louisville Arcade Expo?
I have been swamped with work and life, and did not finish the 3 I had started, but they're mostly ready. I could have them ready by the expo if anyone is interested.

I am 6 hours away. Wished I had known ahead. Would've met you there!

2 months later
#1732 3 years ago

Bumping this up. Will these be made for sale again?

4 weeks later
#1733 3 years ago

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. I have nothing to report other than I haven't even sold the 1st 3D printed version yet. The batch of 3 I started painting are still sitting on the shelf waiting to be finished. I'm not committing to a specific time-frame at this time, but the plan is still for these 3D printed versions to be made and sold.

I apologize for keeping those who want them waiting for so long. This project just hasn't been a priority for me this year.

#1734 3 years ago

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. I have nothing to report other than I haven't even sold the 1st 3D printed version yet. The batch of 3 I started painting are still sitting on the shelf waiting to be finished. I'm not committing to a specific time-frame at this time, but the plan is still for these 3D printed versions to be made and sold.
I apologize for keeping those who want them waiting for so long. This project just hasn't been a priority for me this year.

Its all good man, we'll be here when you're ready!

#1735 3 years ago

Looks like #3 is on the market:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/102769

This is the first I've heard or seen of a chip in the front bottom lip. I'm curious how they're holding up for others.

If anyone does have an issue like that going on, it could likely be reasonably repaired with black 2-part Apoxie Sculpt putty.

#1736 3 years ago

Looks like #3 is on the market:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/102769
This is the first I've heard or seen of a chip in the front bottom lip. I'm curious how they're holding up for others.
If anyone does have an issue like that going on, it could likely be reasonably repaired with black 2-part Apoxie Sculpt putty.

::does a long whistle::

800 bucks.

I've been waiting for Winds of Winter for a while. We're here when you are ready.

1 month later
#1737 3 years ago

Any of you have access to an extra PS5 disc version and want to trade for 2 t-rexes?

#1738 3 years ago

Any of you have access to an extra PS5 disc version and want to trade for 2 t-rexes?

I wish I did!

Sell those suckers. I’ll buy one and help you fund your future PS5 purchase.

#1739 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

I wish I did!
Sell those suckers. I’ll buy one and help you fund your future PS5 purchase.

I'll take the other!

#1740 3 years ago
giphy.gifgiphy.gif
4 months later
#1741 3 years ago

Any chance you are going to Pinbrew and maybe have some T-rex’s available for sale there?

#1742 3 years ago
Quoted from 03whtlightning:

Any chance you are going to Pinbrew and maybe have some T-rex’s available for sale there?

No chance. Sorry.

#1743 3 years ago

It was worth a shot. Thanks anyway.

4 weeks later
#1744 2 years ago

I recently (this week) just picked up a DE Jurassic Park machine (which is my first pinball machine). As such I've been diving in to modifications and upgrades. So I'll toss my name out there as someone who'd be interested in picking up one of the 3D printed versions.

I totally understand having to put projects on the back burner, especially after last year. So I'll gladly wait patiently with everyone else . Out of curiosity, I wonder how this would print on a resin printer. I have both a resin and FDM printer, so I'd gladly help test out the differences.

1 month later
#1745 2 years ago

Just got my hands on a JP and 100% interested in any T-Rex on offer if you are looking to sell one, be it cast or printed. Would be postage to Sarasota FL so you don't have to mess around with international postage. Sure there are alot of others before me on the wish list but just putting it out there.

Cheers,

Steve

1 month later
#1746 2 years ago

Hey Winter, do you have any updates on this project?

5 months later
#1747 2 years ago

Was this really 8 years ago??? Wow....

#1748 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Was this really 8 years ago??? Wow....

And I still can't get one!!

#1749 2 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

And I still can't get one!!

Ya, limited edition for sure.

1 year later
#1750 10 months ago

Any update on this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/35?hl=johnjn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.