thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 36.
#1651 5 years ago

This is just amazing workmanship! I look forward being able to add this to my JP in the near future.

#1652 5 years ago

Things are looking good in regards to bottom teeth not interfering or making contact.

IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpgIMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
#1653 5 years ago

If I divide this up into 3 print jobs, Cura estimates a total of 2 and a half days of printing all parts at .05mm. In my experience, its estimates are always too short, so who knows how long it will actually take to print.

I ultimately need to do a final .1mm version and a .05mm version to make a determination about whether or not it's necessary to go to .05mm. My drafts were done at .2mm and even that's looking pretty good from the distance you stand while playing.

Maybe I'll have the .05mm version printed by the middle of next week.

#1654 5 years ago

I have to say that while your T-Rex overall is extremely impressive, the teeth really make it over the top.

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

If I divide this up into 3 print jobs, Cura estimates a total of 2 and a half days of printing all parts at .05mm. In my experience, its estimates are always too short, so who knows how long it will actually take to print.
I ultimately need to do a final .1mm version and a .05mm version to make a determination about whether or not it's necessary to go to .05mm. My drafts were done at .2mm and even that's looking pretty good from the distance you stand while playing.
Maybe I'll have the .05mm version printed by the middle of next week.

IMO trying to go down in layer height like that just gives you basically the same thing, in more time. Hit it with a quality filler primer and call it a day at the standard .2mm.

#1656 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

IMO trying to go down in layer height like that just gives you basically the same thing, in more time. Hit it with a quality filler primer and call it a day at the standard .2mm.

I can give the filler primer a try. Any recommendations? I've got several cans of PlastiKote sandable primer, but not sure if I'd need something else. I do want to avoid washing out details with something like this, though.

#1657 5 years ago

I can give the filler primer a try. Any recommendations? I've got several cans of PlastiKote sandable primer, but not sure if I'd need something else. I do want to avoid washing out details with something like this, though.

I like Rustoleum, but any filler primer will do. It doesn't fill that much, it's not gonna wash out details, or magically fix all the layer lines, but I think your model's surface already hides a lot of that.

But really, do a few test prints with different layer heights and see for yourself. I think there's a point where you're just raising your print time without getting any appreciable benefit. No need to print the whole model, just isolate a little section to test so you don't have to wait days.

#1658 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I like Rustoleum, but any filler primer will do. It doesn't fill that much, it's not gonna wash out details, or magically fix all the layer lines, but I think your model's surface already hides a lot of that.
But really, do a few test prints with different layer heights and see for yourself. I think there's a point where you're just raising your print time without getting any appreciable benefit. No need to print the whole model, just isolate a little section to test so you don't have to wait days.

I've done some print tests and have always thought .05mm looks like it's not even 3D printed. If you look at this thread's gallery on page 4, there are some pics of .05mm tests.

I don't know. The perfectionist in me wants these to look their best, but in some ways "best" may not even be discernable from "plenty good" from the player's perspective. Probably player's perspective should be my main focus instead of going for highest quality at 1 inch away from your face. We'll see.

#1659 5 years ago

I've done some print tests and have always thought .05mm looks like it's not even 3D printed. If you look at this thread's gallery on page 4, there are some pics of .05mm tests.
I don't know. The perfectionist in me wants these to look their best, but in some ways "best" may not even be discernable from "plenty good" from the player's perspective. Probably player's perspective should be my main focus instead of going for highest quality at 1 inch away from your face. We'll see.

Personally, I think .15mm is a good compromise for an object such as this with texture and that will be viewed from 3-4' away. Higher resolution always improves the model's details, but I wouldn't think absolutely necessary in this case. Obviously, it is your project so you should do what you want. Maybe you print at 2-3 different resolutions that you offer to others, and price accordingly.

Also, I don't know if your slicer (Cura) allows it, but in slicers like Slic3r you can set variable resolution based upon layer levels. If you have a particular range of layers in a model that need more detail (e.g. the poles of spheres, etc.) then you can make those areas with more detail but the rest of the model at a standard detail. May not apply to T-Rex, but thought I would mention.

#1660 5 years ago

Well... the print job that consisted of the head and jaw took a whopping 30 hours and 44 minutes to print at .05mm layer height. A 1.5mm version of the same parts took not quite 10 hours.

At 1.5mm, I'm still likely looking at all parts taking a couple days' worth of printing, but broken up into chunks of time when I'm relatively present.

Unfortunately, the .05mm parts were a little too well adhered to the bed and I ruined them some with a spatula. That's a ton of print time and a ton of room for error, so I'm not likely offer them at this quality. I just don't like leaving it running for that long while I'm away or sleeping.

#1661 5 years ago

The thing about photographing these is that the camera sees much better than human eyes. I think they end up looking worse in photos than they do in person.

IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpgIMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
#1662 5 years ago

Well they look killer in photos so I think your good to start printing and painting.

#1663 5 years ago

The thing about photographing these is that the camera sees much better than human eyes. I think they end up looking worse in photos than they do in person.[quoted image]

So cute, I could hug it!

#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

So cute, I could hug it!

thats what she said (resized).jpgthats what she said (resized).jpg
#1665 5 years ago

18725BA6-EB42-43B2-99C4-E779A08A7C95 (resized).jpeg18725BA6-EB42-43B2-99C4-E779A08A7C95 (resized).jpeg

#1666 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

[quoted image]

Wow, Ted posted a reply to one of my posts - Awwwwwesome!

Seriously, loved the Ferrigno thread that morphed into the Ted thread - some of the most fun stuff here on Pinside.

#1667 4 years ago

Looks great to me! I can’t wait for this to become available and kick derpasaurus rex to the curb.

3 weeks later
#1668 4 years ago

I took some time yesterday to install the latest version in my game for testing and my game decided to blow fuses and act weird...

Anyway, I did get a player's view pic.

IMG_20190514_2032169 (resized).jpgIMG_20190514_2032169 (resized).jpg
#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Wow, Ted posted a reply to one of my posts - Awwwwwesome!

Seriously, loved the Ferrigno thread that morphed into the Ted thread - some of the most fun stuff here on Pinside.

Thanks guy! ....now back to this awesome T-Rex!

#1670 4 years ago

So freakin' awesome!

#1671 4 years ago

I took some time yesterday to install the latest version in my game for testing and my game decided to blow fuses and act weird...
[quoted image]

That looks so freaking awesome.

#1672 4 years ago

How much will these sell for?

#1673 4 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

How much will these sell for?

I saw $400 posted somewhere.. not sure if that is accurate or if they will actually be produced.

#1674 4 years ago

That is some seriously impressive work!

#1675 4 years ago

[quoted image]

Your gate looks so...2-dimensional.
The new T-Rex looks excellent.

#1676 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Your gate looks so...2-dimensional.
The new T-Rex looks excellent.

Oh the irony. I have a functioning gate mod, but didn't like the obvious 3D printed nature of it, so I started and never finished sprucing it up with a hand sculpted face-lift.

#1677 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I saw $400 posted somewhere.. not sure if that is accurate or if they will actually be produced.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but the 3D printed version is a 2nd phase for me. I have already produced and sold cast versions and those went for $400 and sometimes more. I'm not sure yet what the 3D printed ones will cost. Just like the prior version, they won't come cheap.

If I were to continue making cast versions, I'd definitely be raising the price of those.

#1678 4 years ago

I'm not sure if everyone is aware, but the 3D printed version is a 2nd phase for me. I have already produced and sold cast versions and those went for $400 and sometimes more. I'm not sure yet what the 3D printed ones will cost. Just like the prior version, they won't come cheap.
If I were to continue making cast versions, I'd definitely be raising the price of those.

Weren't the cast versions silicone type material that flexes? How will the 3D printed versions work? Are they replacement of the existing hard shell?

#1679 4 years ago

Weren't the cast versions silicone type material that flexes?

No. They are rigid replacement pieces just like the 3D printed version. The exception is that the cast versions have silicone teeth.

The stock t-rex plastics are fully replaced with either version of this mod.

#1680 4 years ago

No. They are rigid replacement pieces just like the 3D printed version. The exception is that the cast versions have silicone teeth.
The stock t-rex plastics are fully replaced with either version of this mod.

Ahhhh ok, maybe I read about a test you were doing to have a "skin". Cool, I wish it was more cost effective because it's the coolest mod I've seen for the game. Combine it with more of the movie elements (gate, etc) and it really gives a whole new look. You really have me looking for things I can sell to fund this, lol.

#1681 4 years ago

Ahhhh ok, maybe I read about a test you were doing to have a "skin".

It was a very early plan that quickly changed. If you look at just posts from me in this thread by clicking on the little person silhouette icon on one of my posts, and scan through photos, it's kind of interesting documentation of the progression of this project.

#1682 4 years ago

Want! Awesome job

2 weeks later
#1683 4 years ago

Just picked up my first JP and somehow stumbled upon this thread when looking for tech stuff. This mod looks amazing and can't wait to see it finished.

3 weeks later
#1684 4 years ago

Do you have any anticipated timeline when you would make it available for sale? I am having major issues with my tex body getting caught on plastics and hoping a new body could help!

Any info appreciated.

#1685 4 years ago
Quoted from pduffy:

Do you have any anticipated timeline when you would make it available for sale? I am having major issues with my tex body getting caught on plastics and hoping a new body could help!
Any info appreciated.

I just put my game back together with new plastics and I also have the body catching the plastic (bottom right corner of the t-rex). I just need to bend some mounting tabs on the "collar" plastic to move it out of the way but wondering if you have new plastics and where yours is catching.

#1686 4 years ago

I just put my game back together with new plastics and I also have the body catching the plastic (bottom right corner of the t-rex). I just need to bend some mounting tabs on the "collar" plastic to move it out of the way but wondering if you have new plastics and where yours is catching.

Yes new plastics as well. It is catching on collar plastic as well on bottom right. How and where did you bend?

Thanks!

#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from pduffy:

Yes new plastics as well. It is catching on collar plastic as well on bottom right. How and where did you bend?
Thanks!

The metal mounting tab for the collar on that corner just needed to be bent backward a bit. The collar just sits a little too close on that right side and it catches the body but once you bend it back a bit then it clears it. I think.. my rex isn't working right now, waiting on parts.

#1688 4 years ago

The metal mounting tab for the collar on that corner just needed to be bent backward a bit. The collar just sits a little too close on that right side and it catches the body but once you bend it back a bit then it clears it. I think.. my rex isn't working right now, waiting on parts.

Thanks! Will give it a try

1 month later
#1689 4 years ago

Still want one too! Thanks!

3 weeks later
#1690 4 years ago

Heads up to those interested. I'll probably have a couple 3D printed ones available for sale soon. I won't be taking names, so please don't PM me at this point. This is just a notice to keep an eye out.

#1691 4 years ago

Awesome!

#1692 4 years ago

remind me - how much are these?

#1693 4 years ago

Thanks for your update......

#1694 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

remind me - how much are these?

$10k by Christmas!

I don't know yet. I need to get through the process on a few of them to figure out the cost in my time spent on them. It'll likely be similarly priced to the first version which was listed for $400.

#1695 4 years ago

Ooooo, I want. And I don’t even own a JP yet. Someone sell me a pristine example quick.

#1696 4 years ago

I'm curious... how long does it take to print all the parts for one T-Rex with a 3D printer? It's gotta be many hours! Are you doubling up (tripling up?) on 3D printers to be able to print more than one at once?

#1697 4 years ago

Heads up to those interested. I'll probably have a couple 3D printed ones available for sale soon. I won't be taking names, so please don't PM me at this point. This is just a notice to keep an eye out.

I'm ready. I don't want to miss out on the last batch. I wanted to put down a deposit since I hardly get any notifications from pinside.

#1698 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'm curious... how long does it take to print all the parts for one T-Rex with a 3D printer? It's gotta be many hours! Are you doubling up (tripling up?) on 3D printers to be able to print more than one at once?

I don't like leaving it unattended overnight, so one t-rex is probably going to take 2-3 days of printing during the day when I can keep an eye on it. I'm still just running the one printer at the moment.

2 weeks later
#1699 4 years ago

I'm still working my way through the first batch of 3d printed t-rexes. It could be a couple weeks yet before they're finished. I'm still not taking names. They'll be sold when they're finished to the first ones to claim them after they're available. I'll post some pics as I make more progress.

#1700 4 years ago

I'm still working my way through the first batch of 3d printed t-rexes. It could be a couple weeks yet before they're finished. I'm still not taking names. They'll be sold when they're finished to the first ones to claim them after they're available. I'll post some pics as I make more progress.

Awesome news.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/34?hl=boy141 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.