thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 36.
#1601 5 years ago

Thumbs up on making progress I hope I can purchase one when they are available

#1602 5 years ago

You are such a tease! Very nice work. I don't even own a JP but I want one.

1 week later
#1603 5 years ago

I've been studying pictures of the original JP t-rex and I'm experimenting with scales that I think match it better. They're smaller and smoother. A couple of print tests make me think these can print well. I still need to experiment with painting to make sure I don't lose a lot of detail.

t-rex WIP jaw smaller scales (resized).PNGt-rex WIP jaw smaller scales (resized).PNG
#1604 5 years ago

Any kind of time frame for when you expect to start production?

#1605 5 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Any kind of time frame for when you expect to start production?

When I like the way it looks. I don't get that much time to work on it, so no clue how long before it's ready.

#1606 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

When I like the way it looks. I don't get that much time to work on it, so no clue how long before it's ready.

So, by Sunday then?

#1607 5 years ago

I appreciate the straight shooting.

Now get to it!

#1608 5 years ago

Here's a new painted print test. There's still some tweaking to do, but I'm liking this direction. It remains to be seen if smaller scales are acceptable when installed in the game and viewed from the player's position.

IMG_20181103_0946073 (resized).jpgIMG_20181103_0946073 (resized).jpg
#1609 5 years ago

Man those scales look awesome!

1 week later
#1610 5 years ago

sign me up for one when you do end up selling them! My JP could definitely use this.

3 weeks later
#1611 5 years ago

Theses are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Ready to buy one.
Cash in hand.

sent you a message.

Peace
Buffett

#1612 5 years ago
Quoted from Buffett:

Theses are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Ready to buy one.
Cash in hand.
sent you a message.
Peace
Buffett

The 3D printed version is still a work in progress. Nothing is for sale at the moment. I can say with relative certainty that it won't be available before the end of the year because I won't have much time to work on it.

2 weeks later
#1613 5 years ago

Still interested as well. Thanks for the hard work to make this happen!

1 month later
#1614 5 years ago

Just as an update to all interested parties, this is the place I make announcements about this project. If there is news, it will be posted here and probably only here.

I have nothing to report at the moment.

It's still a work in progress with some decisions to be made before it's ready.

#1615 5 years ago

I cannot wait for this!!!

2 weeks later
#1616 5 years ago

winteriscoming I'm missing half of the top teeth, and I'm about to lose another one (or two). Do you have any spare teeth?

2 weeks later
#1617 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

winteriscoming I'm missing half of the top teeth, and I'm about to lose another one (or two). Do you have any spare teeth?

Are yours deteriorating? Mine havent at all. I thought no one had...

#1618 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Are yours deteriorating? Mine havent at all. I thought no one had...

Yeah. No issues with teeth here either. I had to check mine after seeing this message.

#1619 5 years ago

I'm not the original owner, but it looks like the top teeth tore into two pieces, with the right side falling off the Trex at some point. I'm not sure how/when it happened, or if it was the fault of the installer. All I know is, I need some new teeth!

#1620 5 years ago

I have an animatronic sculpture I made out of this same silicone that is about 11 years old now and I don't see signs of deterioration. I don't think it's a matter of deterioration. I'm not sure what would have happened to cause a set of teeth to start coming apart unless they've been under stress at an area that was cut. As far as I'm aware, the top teeth in this application aren't really under much stress.

I unfortunately do not have replacement teeth available at the moment.

1 week later
#1621 5 years ago

My demo of ZBrush long-since expired. Since that time, I've had very little time to work on this, and no interest in buying the full version of the software (will I even use it when I'm finished with this t-rex?) However, I noticed recently that they offer the 2019 version of the software on a monthly subscription, so I bought a month and plan to wrap this up.

I'm likely going with larger scales on the jaw and other areas for better visibility. The really small scales on my last jaw test look nice, but blur together from a short distance, meaning there would be little point in there even being scales if you can't see them (like the smooth stock t-rex).

Anyway, the latest model is ready for test prints to confirm whether or not I want to do anything else.

t-rex capture (resized).PNGt-rex capture (resized).PNG
#1622 5 years ago

My demo of ZBrush long-since expired. Since that time, I've had very little time to work on this, and no interest in buying the full version of the software (will I even use it when I'm finished with this t-rex?) However, I noticed recently that they offer the 2019 version of the software on a monthly subscription, so I bought a month and plan to wrap this up.
I'm likely going with larger scales on the jaw and other areas for better visibility. The really small scales on my last jaw test look nice, but blur together from a short distance, meaning there would be little point in there even being scales if you can't see them (like the smooth stock t-rex).
Anyway, the latest model is ready for test prints to confirm whether or not I want to do anything else.
[quoted image]

Nice! Have you ever considered to add tiny arms?

#1623 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Nice! Have you ever considered to add tiny arms?

There was talk of it in this very thread. No one liked the idea.

I don't think they would add much, and could be a hindrance to bending down.

#1624 5 years ago

Here's the latest draft print. Some alterations are needed here and there, but I'm liking it.

IMG_20190328_1531406 (resized).jpgIMG_20190328_1531406 (resized).jpg
#1625 5 years ago

Looking good!

#1626 5 years ago

Here's a quick paint test on the draft print posted above to see how well the different scales show. This draft print was done at .2mm, and still looks pretty good. Final one would likely be done at .05mm.

IMG_20190329_1344472 (resized).jpgIMG_20190329_1344472 (resized).jpg
#1627 5 years ago

You continue to tip the "scales" in favor of awesomeness!

#1628 5 years ago

All parts except the jaw were reprinted after some tweaks, and painted to show contrast in scales. I've got another head printing with wider eyes that hopefully ends up being the final version before I do some more detailed printing and painting tests.

IMG_20190404_1432055 (resized).jpgIMG_20190404_1432055 (resized).jpg
#1629 5 years ago

That looks great!!! Makes me wish I kept my JP! Kinda miss it.

#1630 5 years ago

which 3D printer are you using? because even your draft print looks amazing

#1631 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

which 3D printer are you using? because even your draft print looks amazing

It's a CR-10S. It's the only 3D printer I've owned, but it has convinced me that 3D printing is a viable option for this kind of application.

#1632 5 years ago

Really looking great! Can hardly wait to see your final version.

#1633 5 years ago

is there a list to join? i would be interested!! what are you thinking for time frame and price?

#1634 5 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

is there a list to join? i would be interested!! what are you thinking for time frame and price?

No lists. I'm really not sure on timing and pricing.

#1635 5 years ago

gotcha.... keep following closer... Will do!!

#1636 5 years ago

I'm still experimenting with options for teeth. Here's an example of 3D printed top teeth. These are different than the previous PLA teeth I did which were printed flat and treated like the paper teeth I have been trying as well. These teeth are sculpted 3D teeth that are kind of like dentures that get screwed into the roof of the mouth. If I can ensure these teeth don't make contact with the ball or the pf, this might be a good option for top teeth. They would be readily reproducible if the need came up down the road vs cast silicone teeth.

IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpgIMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
#1637 5 years ago

Would the 3D printed teeth work with the original trex? I might buy a set to have on hand. Ive been nervous about my lower teeth lately, they seem to be getting pinched between the metal of the bottom jaw and the sculpted jaw. Just a thought.

#1638 5 years ago

I'm still experimenting with options for teeth. Here's an example of 3D printed top teeth. These are different than the previous PLA teeth I did which were printed flat and treated like the paper teeth I have been trying as well. These teeth are sculpted 3D teeth that are kind of like dentures that get screwed into the roof of the mouth. If I can ensure these teeth don't make contact with the ball or the pf, this might be a good option for top teeth. They would be readily reproducible if the need came up down the road vs cast silicone teeth.[quoted image]

Sharp! (pun intended)

#1639 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Would the 3D printed teeth work with the original trex? I might buy a set to have on hand. Ive been nervous about my lower teeth lately, they seem to be getting pinched between the metal of the bottom jaw and the sculpted jaw. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, likely not.

For the top teeth, the inner shape of the upper part is different enough between the 2 that I probably wouldn't fit. The cast t-rex also does not have the threaded hole for the screw that holds the 3D printed teeth in.

The bottom teeth are going to have to be much thinner, and probably much more flexible than PLA, so it remains to be seen whether or not a solution for bottom teeth will also work for the cast t-rex.

I would think a paper teeth option could be made to work with the originals, but I haven't tested.

#1640 5 years ago

ohhh boy!! can't wait!

#1641 5 years ago

Unfortunately, likely not.
For the top teeth, the inner shape of the upper part is different enough between the 2 that I probably wouldn't fit. The cast t-rex also does not have the threaded hole for the screw that holds the 3D printed teeth in.
The bottom teeth are going to have to be much thinner, and probably much more flexible than PLA, so it remains to be seen whether or not a solution for bottom teeth will also work for the cast t-rex.
I would think a paper teeth option could be made to work with the originals, but I haven't tested.

Copy that bro, thanks for clarifying. Fingers crossed I never need them.

#1642 5 years ago

So far so good with fit and pickup success. In my testing, top teeth in this version are not making contact with the pf or the ball, so I think I'm good to go with 3D printed top teeth.

IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpgIMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
#1643 5 years ago

I'm still experimenting with options for teeth. Here's an example of 3D printed top teeth. These are different than the previous PLA teeth I did which were printed flat and treated like the paper teeth I have been trying as well. These teeth are sculpted 3D teeth that are kind of like dentures that get screwed into the roof of the mouth. If I can ensure these teeth don't make contact with the ball or the pf, this might be a good option for top teeth. They would be readily reproducible if the need came up down the road vs cast silicone teeth.[quoted image]

This is amazing. Well done.

#1644 5 years ago

Wow, this is impressive man! Ready to buy whenever you have it available! Great job!

#1645 5 years ago

I reworked the jaw so that it can have some bottom teeth "dentures" recessed into it. I believe I've got the front teeth low enough not to touch the ball or interfere with the bent tabs on the jaw frame. We'll see. New jaw and teeth test prints are underway.

trex teeth (resized).PNGtrex teeth (resized).PNG

#1646 5 years ago

Looking really good

#1647 5 years ago

Quick and dirty paint job on the test prints. After a couple of more tweaks, I might just have it where it needs to be.

IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpgIMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
#1648 5 years ago

Seriously impressive.

#1649 5 years ago
image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#1650 5 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's really cool being able to work with 3d models and print them. In testing I came to the conclusion that the bolt hole and the recessed octagonal hole for the mating lock nut for where the jaw frame gets screwed onto the jaw needs to move forward a tad. In the 3d model, that was maybe a 5 minute job and I'm able to send it to the printer to wait for the results. If I were to need to do that in a hand-crafted model, it would have been a huge ordeal, to the point that I'd probably end up re-sculpting details around the existing hole rather than attempting to move the hole, or I'd maybe settle and not make such an adjustment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.