thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.
#1501 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

There will be more. I hope to make an announcement about a new offering soon.

Awesome, good to hear! I will be patiently waiting.

#1502 5 years ago

Teaser...

model (resized).PNGmodel (resized).PNG
#1503 5 years ago

Teaser...
[quoted image]

That sir isn't even fair LOL. Well I might just have to get my Christmas present from you this year!

can't wait!!

#1504 5 years ago

3D Printed?

Still loving mine. Still looks just as good as the day I got it. No chips, worn marks, and the teeth are still all there. Best looking mod of any machine out there.

#1505 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

3D Printed?
Still loving mine. Still looks just as good as the day I got it. No chips, worn marks, and the teeth are still all there. Best looking mod of any machine out there.

I second all that. #8 still looks perfect. P

#1506 5 years ago

JP - Imgur.gifJP - Imgur.gif
#1507 5 years ago

I hope so.

Tests so far indicate that the scale textures print quite well and print lines are not visible to the naked eye from the distance you'd be standing away from the t-rex.

I'm still working on tweaking/resculpting the virtual scales for ideal printing, but the attached pic shows an original cast jaw painted gray, a print test with painted texture, and a first draft proof-of-concept print.

I think it's going to be a viable option, and should allow me to scale up production and even offer them unpainted for those interested.
IMG_20180912_1659051 (resized).jpgIMG_20180912_1659051 (resized).jpg

#1508 5 years ago

I hope so.
Tests so far indicate that the scale textures print quite well and print lines are not visible to the naked eye from the distance you'd be standing away from the t-rex.
I'm still working on tweaking/resculpting the virtual scales for ideal printing, but the attached pic shows an original cast jaw painted gray, a print test with painted texture, and a first draft proof-of-concept print.
I think it's going to be a viable option, and should allow me to scale up production and even offer them unpainted for those interested.
[quoted image]

Very nice! Looks good.

#1509 5 years ago

Looks good and feasible. 3D printing is a good option, I've also created complicated pinball parts (like Roadshow heads), no wear/crack issue until now.

RS_heads (resized).JPGRS_heads (resized).JPGRS_heads2 (resized).JPGRS_heads2 (resized).JPG
#1510 5 years ago

dayum!

#1511 5 years ago

Here's a painted test print with some more defined scales. Note that when you look a high res close-up photo, you can see print lines, but those aren't noticeable at arm's length.

I had originally dismissed 3D printing, but I think it's going to be my way forward.

It's cool being able to make quick tweaks, send to the printer and get results while I get back to my real job.

IMG_20180913_1004138 (resized).jpgIMG_20180913_1004138 (resized).jpg
#1512 5 years ago

Great idea with the 3D printing. Looks awesome!

#1513 5 years ago

Here's a painted test print with some more defined scales. Note that when you look a high res close-up photo, you can see print lines, but those aren't noticeable at arm's length.
I had originally dismissed 3D printing, but I think it's going to be my way forward.
It's cool being able to make quick tweaks, send to the printer and get results while I get back to my real job. [quoted image]

This paint work is really nice! In case you would like to further improve the surface, few options are available (PLA):
SBS filament: https://www.craftbot.nl/2016/04/26/sbs-filament-english/
Complete smoothing system: http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysmoothpolysher/

But you are right, no need to inspect this jaw from so close.

#1515 5 years ago

That looks really good. Very exciting time to have a JP.

#1516 5 years ago

If someone gets close enough to your game to notice the print lines they will leave a nose print on the glass and should be asked to leave

#1517 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

This paint work is really nice! In case you would like to further improve the surface, few options are available (PLA):
SBS filament: https://www.craftbot.nl/2016/04/26/sbs-filament-english/
Complete smoothing system: http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysmoothpolysher/
But you are right, no need to inspect this jaw from so close.

I actually may not want it smoothed out for the t-rex. The cast parts based on my sculpture already aren't all that smooth and I think the rougher look lends itself well to the look of scales. It adds additional texture. I may do some experimentation, but I'm pretty impressed with the results so far.

#1518 5 years ago

very nice

#1519 5 years ago

My laptop that I've been using is woefully insufficient for the task of 3D modeling. I'm trying to migrate to one of my older gaming PCs in hopes that it will do better.

At any rate, I've got all the major parts in 3D now and I'm tweaking details. I never thought I would have said this, but virtual sculpting is basically easier than in real life... You don't have to worry about screwing up one spot while holding it and working on another. Plus there's the added bonus of symmetry so you only really have to do half the work on details. Another benefit is the ability to scale and skew models for the perfect fit on the t-rex frame. For example, if I wanted the head at a slightly different angle, I can easily do it on the 3D model, but it would have been a great deal of work to do on the physical sculpture. If I wanted the head slightly smaller or larger? It's a snap in 3D modeling, but forget about it in real life!

Note that I started with 3D scans of the a cast t-rex, but they are mainly serving to capture the overall shape that I can then smooth out and re-do details more suited to 3D printing. The resulting 3D printed versions will look very similar to the cast ones, but they will actually be different due to me manually making adjustments and re-sculpting the details and scales.

What's really cool is that I can start with a physical sculpture, like a mockup of a mod in the correct dimensions, scan it, refine it, print it, test it and tweak it until it's right. This will be a major help in future projects.

It's been a really fun process and I'm looking forward to the end results on the 3D printed t-rex. I'm also looking forward to coming up with other mods eventually.

#1520 5 years ago

I find this stuff fascinating. What are you using for a 3D scanner?

#1521 5 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

I find this stuff fascinating. What are you using for a 3D scanner?

A Canon DSLR and photogrammetry software called 3DF Zephyr Free. It has a bit of a learning curve for how to take photos that will work, and on my laptop it takes forever to process, but it's very powerful and exceeds my expectations for free software.

#1522 5 years ago

Still working on the details in 3D.

t-rex WIP (resized).PNGt-rex WIP (resized).PNG
#1523 5 years ago

Dang. May have to purchase another one just for a desk display.

#1524 5 years ago

Still working on the details in 3D.[quoted image]

He needs dentures.

#1525 5 years ago

Will there be an option for overseas customers or still looking at USA only?

#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Will there be an option for overseas customers or still looking at USA only?

I'm not committing to that yet, but I hope so.

#1527 5 years ago

I need dentures!

#1528 5 years ago

Interested in one and will wait for the announcement if they go up for sale. Looks great!

#1529 5 years ago

I'm not committing to that yet, but I hope so.

Canada isn't overseas and will eventually be taken over anyways

#1530 5 years ago

I incessantly click on this topic when I see a new reply because it says the Improved T-Rex has Sold Out. I keep thinking, he wasn't even done sculpting and I somehow missed it.

I have FOMOTR.

#1531 5 years ago

I'm not sure when I'll be ready to make any of these 3D printed versions available. There's still a lot of work to do. I'm making sure I get dimensions, fitment and printing methods down before I commit to more details.

One of my issues has been that I'm creating models that are way too complex with regards to number of polygons, and that's bogging everything down when I try to make adjustments and do fancy boolean operations, such as a cutout of the shape of the frame/coil and screw holes. The intricate details will be possible, but I need to get precise shapes together and then add more detail onto those.

t-rex wip2 (resized).PNGt-rex wip2 (resized).PNG
#1532 5 years ago

I have enough problems with Sketchup. Can’t imagine doing any real 3D work like you’re doing.

#1533 5 years ago

I'm not sure when I'll be ready to make any of these 3D printed versions available. There's still a lot of work to do. I'm making sure I get dimensions, fitment and printing methods down before I commit to more details.
One of my issues has been that I'm creating models that are way too complex with regards to number of polygons, and that's bogging everything down when I try to make adjustments and do fancy boolean operations, such as a cutout of the shape of the frame/coil and screw holes. The intricate details will be possible, but I need to get precise shapes together and then add more detail onto those.
[quoted image]

How many are you talking?

I found that super fine details won't show unless your using a very high end 3d printer or getting it commercially made so you might have to reduce detail anyway to get the slicer to accept those sorts of large models.

I recently printed a mini wolverine ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/227#post-4563032 ) and it was around 1 million triangles originally. Far more detail than I could get a 0.1mm nozzle to print on my home printer.

The other thing I noticed was that due to the distance between the player and the printed model a large amount of the super fine detail is lost anyway.

#1534 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

How many are you talking?
I found that super fine details won't show unless your using a very high end 3d printer or getting it commercially made so you might have to reduce detail anyway to get the slicer to accept those sorts of large models.
I recently printed a mini wolverine ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/x-men/page/227#post-4563032 ) and it was around 1 million triangles originally. Far more detail than I could get a 0.1mm nozzle to print on my home printer.
The other thing I noticed was that due to the distance between the player and the printed model a large amount of the super fine detail is lost anyway.

I actually may have reduced the count down more than it was. On a more current file with all the pieces, I get a count of 802,400 triangles. I believe I was up in the multi-millions, but it will increase once I work in more of the detail.

I've not had any issues in the slicer yet, but we'll see. It was more of a slowdown/crashing issue with boolean operations in Meshmixer, but I've figured out how to get it to work better for me. I don't think I'll have issues getting the fine detail printed. I've done some jaw and test head prints that are modeled at full detail, and the prints pick up a good deal of detail. At the very least, I'd like my 3D model to be very detailed even if my current printer doesn't show everything. That way the model is future proof and future printers will handle it better. That's all providing the slicer doesn't choke.

#1535 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I have enough problems with Sketchup. Can’t imagine doing any real 3D work like you’re doing.

It's mind-boggling what you can do with free software these days. I'm in my 30s and this stuff wasn't available, nor as intuitive, when I was in school over 10 years ago. That said, each program comes with its own learning curve. I'm currently switching back and forth between 3 modeling programs because each is better suited to something I can't do as easily in the other. Add on to that a couple of photogrammetry programs I was using, and the slicer, and I'm at 6 progams trying to get to where I've got a 3D printed t-rex!

#1536 5 years ago

Here's my relatively accurate virtual approximation of the t-rex frame and jaw frame, to ensure that parts fit before committing to hours long test prints.
t-rex frame (resized).PNGt-rex frame (resized).PNG

By the way, I think it's entirely feasible to print out a frame for mounting parts and displaying on a desk for those who want to display one, but don't have the game.

#1537 5 years ago

Nice work winter....

I'd be interested in one if you decide to go ahead with it.

#1538 5 years ago

Here's a successful test print to see if I could create a void so that eyes can be installed from inside. This would have been prohibitively complicated to do on the cast t-rexes.

Again I want to point out that closeup photos amplify the print lines. They aren't visible at arm's length and definitely not at the distance you'd be standing from it in the game.

This particular test piece is about 27x18mm, so the photo is rather closeup.

IMG_20180920_1428046 (resized).jpgIMG_20180920_1428046 (resized).jpg
#1539 5 years ago

Very cool and creepy in a good way. At first I was thinking maybe an LED behind the eye would be neat but on second thought it probably doesn't need it.

#1540 5 years ago

the way the color has filled the lines, it almost looks like cross hatch artwork.

#1541 5 years ago

Jim, what are you using for the 3D printer? It is impressive for home use.

Does anyone here have an SLA printer? IE: Form2
This solves the line issue

#1542 5 years ago

I have said I wanted a JP, and I did not think I was they type of collector who purchased mods before they owned a game- because I hate mods and am somewhat obsessed with not hoarding. But damn if I don’t think I would be seriously at risk of ordering one of theses when it became available... to the point of considering carefully if I even check the thread as it may be a costly decision

Just wanted to say- amazing work.

#1543 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Does anyone here have an SLA printer? IE: Form2
This solves the line issue

SLA cost is about 6-8x more compared to FDM.

#1544 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

It's a CR-10s. When I was researching late last year it bubbled to the top for build volume, quality, and affordability. I have no direct experience with any other printers, so not sure how anything else compares.

There's at least one printer out there, DaVinci Color, that can print in color, and would be affordable if I could produce salable colored t-rexes on it, but I think you're locked into their proprietary filament and inks, so not sure if I'll end up pursuing it.

#1545 5 years ago

Some adjustments needed here and there, but mostly a good fit.

IMG_20180921_0903190 (resized).jpgIMG_20180921_0903190 (resized).jpgIMG_20180921_0904234 (resized).jpgIMG_20180921_0904234 (resized).jpg
#1546 5 years ago

I'm currently printing some pieces with revisions, but I'm feeling pretty good about all tests so far. I do actually need to install it in my game to test that it works and make adjustments as needed for successful pickup.

Next I need to figure out if there's a feasible 3D printed alternative to the silicone teeth. I should be able to stick with silicone teeth if needed, but I would rather not if I can come up with a different solution.

My early attempts at printing with flexible filament didn't go so well. It wasn't going to work for the teeth, at least the way I was hoping. There may still be a way to use it.

Another option would be to incorporate teeth into the top and bottom jaws, though I think I want to try to have the teeth as a separate piece so they can be replaced if needed.

#1547 5 years ago

I'm currently printing some pieces with revisions, but I'm feeling pretty good about all tests so far. I do actually need to install it in my game to test that it works and make adjustments as needed for successful pickup.
Next I need to figure out if there's a feasible 3D printed alternative to the silicone teeth. I should be able to stick with silicone teeth if needed, but I would rather not if I can come up with a different solution.
My early attempts at printing with flexible filament didn't go so well. It wasn't going to work for the teeth, at least the way I was hoping. There may still be a way to use it.
Another option would be to incorporate teeth into the top and bottom jaws, though I think I want to try to have the teeth as a separate piece so they can be replaced if needed.

What was the issue about flexible filament?

#1548 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

What was the issue about flexible filament?

It recommends not doing retraction, and islands don't work out well. If printing teeth standing up, they end up being a bunch of islands. My tests were stringy messes.

#1549 5 years ago

It recommends not doing retraction, and islands don't work out well. If printing teeth standing up, they end up being a bunch of islands. My tests were stringy messes.

How is this tooth design look like?

#1550 5 years ago

Hard to tell the difference...

IMG_20180923_1749411 (resized).jpgIMG_20180923_1749411 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/31?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.