thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 36.
#1401 7 years ago

I had a buyer drop out, so one is available. Who wants it? PM me.

Please read the first post in this thread for information.

Edit: ... and I believe it's claimed! Thanks, everyone!

1 month later
#1402 7 years ago

Finally got my T-Rex installed. A couple of things I learned from my machine:

1. As most people posted, you got to fiddle with the new jaw multiple times to get it to pick up the ball consistently. I probably took off/put on the new jaw seven times before I got it dialed in.

2. The T-Rex would not swallow the ball. I used some double sided tape to build a small ramp right inside the tabs over the screw, then I placed a black piece of felt over the double sided tape. Now, the T-Rex swallows the ball 100%. I do like @woody24's idea of using Sugru and that would be a much more permanent solution, but for now, I'm happy.

3. I didn't buy a new jaw link because mine looked fine and unmolested from other mods. However, between the new jaw and jaw link, I did experience a lot of "play" on the jaw that could be leading to the swallowing issues.

4. The improved T-Rex actually touches the plastic collar when vertical. I'll be watching this, but I may have to shave a bit on the plastic if it starts to interferes.

Here he is installed:
20170116_111748 (resized).jpg20170116_111748 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1403 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Finally got my T-Rex installed. A couple of things I learned from my machine:
1. As most people posted, you got to fiddle with the new jaw multiple times to get it to pick up the ball consistently. I probably took off/put on the new jaw seven times before I got it dialed in.
2. The T-Rex would not swallow the ball. I used some double sided tape to build a small ramp right inside the tabs over the screw, then I placed a black piece of felt over the double sided tape. Now, the T-Rex swallows the ball 100%. I do like woody24's idea of using Sugru and that would be a much more permanent solution, but for now, I'm happy.
3. I didn't buy a new jaw link because mine looked fine and unmolested from other mods. However, between the new jaw and jaw link, I did experience a lot of "play" on the jaw that could be leading to the swallowing issues.
4. The improved T-Rex actually touches the plastic collar when vertical. I'll be watching this, but I may have to shave a bit on the plastic if it starts to interferes.
Here he is installed:

Not sure why, but I don't think I got a notification that I'd been tagged. Maybe I did and just didn't see it?

So far I've had my Trex installed for over a year with zero issues chomping and swallowing the ball. 100% accuracy. Sugru does the trick if you need a little extra oomph to get it to roll.

And also a side note on the build quality, I see no signs of wear after a year. Great mod! Is one of the rare ones that isn't just a bolt-in to look pretty. Functional, and looks like it belongs. Now if only they would have made the TRex on the backbox look like the one from the movie.

#1404 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Now if only they would have made the TRex on the backbox look like the one from the movie.

Now we need that alternate translite!

#1405 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

That's something I've heard from a couple others. The original prototype was doing that for me and I reduced the back to make it fit in the final version, but I guess some playfields are slightly different. A less destructive fix might be to use a rotary tool and notch the brackets a little so that the plastic can be slid slightly further back and then screwed down. I think that's what someone posted here a while ago, but it's been some time.

Quoted from woody24:

And also a side note on the build quality, I see no signs of wear after a year.

I'm glad to hear this. I haven't gotten any feedback about about long term issues. Not that I ever get to play pinball anymore, but my original one is still holding up.

#1406 7 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

That's something I've heard from a couple others. The original prototype was doing that for me and I reduced the back to make it fit in the final version, but I guess some playfields are slightly different. A less destructive fix might be to use a rotary tool and notch the brackets a little so that the plastic can be slid slightly further back and then screwed down. I think that's what someone posted here a while ago, but it's been some time.

I've played a ton of games so far, but rally haven't noticed any issues with it touching. Loving the mod!

#1407 7 years ago

Mine works great--just had to bend the bottom "teeth" of the metal jaw assembly to almost being flat. If it was between this T-Rex and a ColorDMD, I'd choose the T-Rex.

#1408 7 years ago

If anyone wants to sell their Improved T-rex (ie. they are selling their machine for example) send me a pm

4 months later
#1409 6 years ago

Hi WinterIsComing,

When you decide to create your next batch, please mark me down for one. Very excited to add it to my game! Thank you.

#1410 6 years ago

I'd be in for one too when you decide to make another run. such an awesome mod!

#1411 6 years ago

Along with the WOZ red smoke witch, this is the best mod you can buy for a Pinball machine!

1 week later
#1412 6 years ago

Put me down for a trex as well when you do another run!!

2 weeks later
#1413 6 years ago

winteriscoming , please add me to your list for next round. I'm praying there is one!!!

#1414 6 years ago

The third sentence in the first post says there is no interest list!

1 month later
#1415 6 years ago

Are these still being made?

#1416 6 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Are these still being made?

There will be more. Don't know when. This will be the first place I announce anything. It won't be any time soon.

There isn't an interest list!

#1417 6 years ago

There will be more. Don't know when. This will be the first place I announce anything. It won't be any time soon.

Thanks for the response!

#1418 6 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Now we need that alternate translite!

Why? It's one of the most iconic and beautiful translates in pinball history.

#1419 6 years ago

Define "soon."

My wife wants to buy one for my birthday so I will stop talking about it.

1 week later
#1420 6 years ago

I'm just happy to hear there will be one!

#1421 6 years ago

I made an account on this site for the sole purpose of being able to post here. Are these going to be made again? And if so, when? And also, do you allow for local pickup? I'm located river over the river in Louisville, KY, so it would be extremely easy for me to simply pick it up locally and not have to deal with any kind of shipping.

#1422 6 years ago

Welcome to Pinside - hopefully you'll find lots of helpful stuff here.

You may not love the answers, but the maker answered most of them a few weeks ago:

Hard to believe he'd say no to pickup, but he'll have to make more first and you'll have to secure one of them!

Good luck with it, this is a really cool mod. Hopefully OP will find time to run off a whole bunch the next time he's able to do it. But he's got a young kid and a number of other things going on, so I get where he's coming from.

#1423 6 years ago

Yeah, this mod is amazing and a must have, I want this one along with the raptor crates and the working gate, I want to deck out the machine as much as possible, but I get concerned when stuff is limited. I saw his post about "there will be more...", but figured it still wouldn't hurt to post up and ask about the mod. I haven't even secured my machine and I'm already looking to buy all the mods I can for it.

#1424 6 years ago

I think it's time to get an apprentice, teach him, and start cranking these out.

#1425 6 years ago

"Ted the Apprentice" has a nice ring to it.

#1426 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think it's time to get an apprentice, teach him, and start cranking these out.

And ruin the scarcity of the product?

I don't see an apprentice happening. It's not something I would want to manage.

Quoted from SpoolinChaos:

I made an account on this site for the sole purpose of being able to post here. Are these going to be made again? And if so, when? And also, do you allow for local pickup? I'm located river over the river in Louisville, KY, so it would be extremely easy for me to simply pick it up locally and not have to deal with any kind of shipping.

We should be able to work something out to get you one. I love it when people make it easy for me, so if a sale to you leads to cash in hand and not having to box up and ship, then you're going to bubble to the top of my non-existent list.

It will be a while before I get back into the next batch. I have several cast from last year that just have to be painted and probably have to have teeth cast for them (the part I hate doing the most). I don't get much free time these days and I'm into some other unrelated projects at the moment.

#1427 6 years ago

Any thoughts to selling a Paint//Assemble your own kit?

I know I would gladly paint my own and put it together to save some bucks and it would certainly save you countless hours.

#1428 6 years ago

I don't see an apprentice happening. It's not something I would want to manage.

Too late!

my daughter was born on Sunday.

#1429 6 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I know I would gladly paint my own and put it together to save some bucks and it would certainly save you countless hours.

Mine would look like a blind person did it, I would prefer to not have to paint, haha.

#1430 6 years ago

Well, that's going to be a long term goal. I suppose the pin will still be around when she's old enough to make them.

#1431 6 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

It is an assemble yourself kit. You have to put it together over the existing frame.

The painting isn't so bad when I actually commit to sitting down and doing it.

I don't know. I've thought about paint yourself kits, but then I'd have no quality control over the t-rexes ended up in the wild with my name on them. Also, I tend to install eyes and sculpt the eyelids after most of the painting.

I think for a paint yourself kit to work, it would need to be a little more dumbed down with teeth and eyes worked into the cast sculpture.

#1432 6 years ago

I was just curious as I would like to own one and I missed out on the last batch.

My game is great with the new code, Pinsound and flipper fidelity speakers, but the original T-Rex looks like junk and nothing like the dinosaur from the film.

#1433 6 years ago

My little JP fan thinks the factory dinosaur doesn’t even look scary!

001B6876-2FBD-46C6-91F3-17B29CCB2B1C (resized).jpeg001B6876-2FBD-46C6-91F3-17B29CCB2B1C (resized).jpeg

#1434 6 years ago

Yeah. You start letting people paint them and you will end up with a Barney out there someplace. Lol
IMG_3861 (resized).PNGIMG_3861 (resized).PNG

#1435 6 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Yeah. You start letting people paint them and you will end up with a Barney out there someplace. Lol

And you’ll also end up seeing some excellent work as well.

#1436 6 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

And you’ll also end up seeing some excellent work as well.

I have no doubt about that.

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I was just curious as I would like to own one and I missed out on the last batch.
My game is great with the new code, Pinsound and flipper fidelity speakers, but the original T-Rex looks like junk and nothing like the dinosaur from the film.

You get all those mods here or elsewhere?

#1438 6 years ago
Quoted from SpoolinChaos:

You get all those mods here or elsewhere?

I bought and installed the Pinsound and speakers. I downloaded and burned the rom with the updated code from Chad’s website if that is what you were asking.

#1439 6 years ago

Quoted from Bos98:My little JP fan thinks the factory dinosaur doesn’t even look scary!

The factory T-Rex looks like an emaciated Velociraptor

#1440 6 years ago

This mod really makes the game pop. Any time frame? Put me on the list for one!

#1441 6 years ago

I don't know. I've thought about paint yourself kits, but then I'd have no quality control over the t-rexes ended up in the wild with my name on them.

If people want to, they can paint over the current paint job anyway....right?

#1442 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If people want to, they can paint over the current paint job anyway....right?

Unless you wanted a totally different look, it would seem silly to mess with the very nice paint job on these. Plus there's the issue of paint durability (well documented in this thread), winteriscoming probably doesn't want a bunch of peeling-chinned T-Rexes out there with his name on them.

Most people would probably pick a "paint your own" option as a cost savings. Just from reading the thread, a lot of the cost is R&D and casting materials, and that's baked in regardless. All speculation, of course, but I'm guessing the reduction in price for unpainted would be less than many people are imagining, and would only ever become a reality if winteriscoming got sick of painting but still had time and interest to keep casting T-Rexes.

#1443 6 years ago

$800 for any one looking. Mines still in the box.

#1444 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Why haven't you installed it? That's no way to treat it.

Still loving mine. Wouldn't expect the Trex to have looked any other way.

#1445 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Why haven't you installed it? That's no way to treat it.
Still loving mine. Wouldn't expect the Trex to have looked any other way.

Cuz I have no time, much like my other pinball brother, winter.

I REALLY want to get it in. As well as the color dmd....just NO FREAKING TIME MAN.

Im pretty much kidding, but if some wealthy person wants to offer me $800, Ill wait and get another later, lol.

I dont know how people have 3 hours to sit down and watch a sports game. I get like an hour of tv if im lucky a day. Havent had my machine on in months.

#1446 6 years ago

Mine is still in the box as well. But my full restoration is coming along so I can't wait to get it installed.

#1447 6 years ago

This mod is a thing of beauty!

#1448 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Ho lee cow ...

I'd love one but not sure if I could justify that price.

edit: oops read the follow up post further down

#1449 6 years ago

If winteriscoming is cool with it, I'd maybe sell someone either my prototype or production version. I'm ecstatic with either version, but it's kind of a shame to just display one on my work desk and not have it in a machine somewhere for somebody wanting one...though it does look cool there too!

#1450 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If winteriscoming is cool with it, I'd maybe sell someone either my prototype or production version.

I'd be in for that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/29?hl=unlockpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.