thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 36.
#1001 9 years ago

Will it tell you if the ball was attempted to be picked up, but was lost?

#1002 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Will it tell you if the ball was attempted to be picked up, but was lost?

No, I don't have a way of doing that without getting more complicated. I'd have to set something up with a microcontroller that has at least two switches, one to sense that the t-rex has bent down, and one in the subway to tell that the ball was successfully eaten.

The game doesn't have any built in t-rex audits except for the number of t-rex saucer hits. Nothing would help indicate that there's an issue with the t-rex...

#1004 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

No, I don't have a way of doing that without getting more complicated. I'd have to set something up with a microcontroller that has at least two switches, one to sense that the t-rex has bent down, and one in the subway to tell that the ball was successfully eaten.
The game doesn't have any built in t-rex audits except for the number of t-rex saucer hits. Nothing would help indicate that there's an issue with the t-rex...

If you had two coin meters, couldn't you just wire them both up? One on the trex motor and one on the subway? Assuming there's a path on the subway that only the trex ball takes.

#1005 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

If you had two coin meters, couldn't you just wire them both up? One on the trex motor and one on the subway? Assuming there's a path on the subway that only the trex ball takes.

I believe there are two switches in the subway (not counting the one on the VUK). The first would only get hit by being eaten by the t-rex. The thing is I can't utilize existing switches for this since it would be throwing a new ground and 5v into the switch matrix, and I don't know if there's a good way to mount a new switch in the subway without permanently modifying it.

#1006 9 years ago

Things are looking pretty good with my latest version of the t-rex. So far I've got a 100% successful pickup and swallow rate. Since adding the counter in and actually playing the game instead of just testing, I've got about 45 pickups counted give or take when considering startup audits.

#1007 9 years ago

Hook up a go pro inside there and we'll see how many are dropped in a fast video loop. I don't have one but I'm sure someone will donate one for the weekend. Just a suggestion and that might not work since I don't know how much they store.

#1008 9 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Just a suggestion and that might not work since I don't know how much they store.

That would be my concern... Well, and then I'd have to watch hours of boring video instead of playing my game!

While it would be good info, I'm not that concerned about successful pickups since I'm seeing a 100% success rate so far. I mainly want a count of how many times it bent down and what it looks like from a wear perspective after that many times.

1 week later
#1009 9 years ago

The t-rex is on display at the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend. I forgot to check the t-rex counter when I left tonight. Overall it seems to be holding up fine after the first day. 2 more days to go.

#1010 9 years ago

Since the beginning of the expo JP has had nearly constant play. 443 total plays according to the audit. My t-rex counter shows 188 so far. One more day to go.

Apparently this can happen to the ball...IMG_20150308_095504.jpgIMG_20150308_095504.jpg

#1011 9 years ago

this is great. I will be bringing mine to Midwest Gaming Classic. i don't know if i will put the meter in or not, but either way i think people are going to enjoy it.

#1012 9 years ago

I saw it yesterday and it looks fantastic, great work!

#1013 9 years ago

586 total plays and T-rex counter shows 288. I'm not seeing any wear on it, but I'll take it out and inspect closer some day soon.

#1014 9 years ago

Update: I still haven't taken the t-rex out to inspect after the expo last weekend. I'll do it soon. I'm not in a huge rush, though, because I've got two people taking their prototypes to MGC next month. I want to see if anything comes up there that I need to factor into the final design.

#1015 9 years ago

Update: I still haven't taken the t-rex out to inspect after the expo last weekend. I'll do it soon. I'm not in a huge rush, though, because I've got two people taking their prototypes to MGC next month. I want to see if anything comes up there that I need to factor into the final design.

Make sure they have some signs advertising your mod, they will get a ton of plays at MGC! Can't wait to see it in person.

#1016 9 years ago

It would be cool to put an LED in the head to give the eyes a little light, not Terminator red or anything but a faint touch of yellow or green might look cool.

#1017 9 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It would be cool to put an LED in the head to give the eyes a little light, not Terminator red or anything but a faint touch of yellow or green might look cool.

That's not happening. I only jokingly brought up the idea several pages ago and some vocal folks made sure to shut it down before the idea became serious.

#1018 9 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Make sure they have some signs advertising your mod, they will get a ton of plays at MGC! Can't wait to see it in person.

Honestly, I've got all the interest I want just from Pinsiders. The number of interested people so far is kind of overwhelming if I think about it too much, though that's a good problem to have.

On paper the idea of selling hundreds of them sounds like a good thing, but I doubt I'll be interested in prolonging production into the hundreds. I'm not setting a number, but I want to be up front with everyone that the run will likely be limited to the number I feel like making or the number of interested people, depending on which runs out first.

The only guaranty I can make at this point is that I'll make good to the 3 people currently testing them. They'll get the first final versions. The rest is up in the air, though I'm going to be optimistic and say that I hope to provide them to everyone who wants one.

The value in it being displayed at an expo for me is mainly stress-testing at this point and not advertising.

2 weeks later
#1019 9 years ago

Two t-rex prototypes should be at MGC this weekend. I'm waiting for feedback from there before proceeding with the final version. If all goes well, and I don't really hear about anything major, I'll be able to proceed pretty quickly with making the final changes to the original and remaking molds for the first production run. Hopefully I'll be able to start filling orders and shipping next month.

#1020 9 years ago

How do I get on the list for one of these winter?

#1021 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

How do I get on the list for one of these winter?

PM and hope I don't burn out before I get to yours.

#1022 9 years ago

Honestly, I've got all the interest I want just from Pinsiders. The number of interested people so far is kind of overwhelming if I think about it too much, though that's a good problem to have.
On paper the idea of selling hundreds of them sounds like a good thing, but I doubt I'll be interested in prolonging production into the hundreds. I'm not setting a number, but I want to be up front with everyone that the run will likely be limited to the number I feel like making or the number of interested people, depending on which runs out first.
The only guaranty I can make at this point is that I'll make good to the 3 people currently testing them. They'll get the first final versions. The rest is up in the air, though I'm going to be optimistic and say that I hope to provide them to everyone who wants one.
The value in it being displayed at an expo for me is mainly stress-testing at this point and not advertising.

Could you hire an intern for a few bucks from the local college art department?

You get some assistance, and they get to put down some work experience on their resume.

#1023 9 years ago

Small MGC update: Unfortunately only one t-rex will make it to the show, as KinPinGames' JP has a flipper issue he won't have time to resolve. ChadH is still planning to bring his, though, so check it out along with his new code.

#1024 9 years ago

I got some positive results back from ChadH with the prototype t-rex in his JP at MGC.

I think it has passed the stress tests. Now I need to commit changes to my original sculpture, remake molds and start cranking these things out.

#1025 9 years ago

It looked great. Unfortunately, the scoop mod didn't make it.

IMAG1264.jpgIMAG1264.jpg
#1026 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

It looked great. Unfortunately, the scoop mod didn't make it.

IMAG1264.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That happened to mine at Louisville Arcade Expo, too! Can't blame it on the T-rex, though.

#1027 9 years ago

Damn! I've since switched to a stronger epoxy after Jim's feedback. Typically my customers are just running their games at home so they haven't had trouble before, and when they do it is easy to rectify right away.

#1028 9 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Damn! I've since switched to a stronger epoxy after Jim's feedback. Typically my customers are just running their games at home so they haven't had trouble before, and when they do it is easy to rectify right away.

For the record, it is an easy fix! I just glued the plastic back onto the wire when I got home. I wouldn't want anyone seeing that image and my comment and thinking any less of the scoop light mod. It gets my seal of approval!

#1029 9 years ago

Yeah, not trying to disparage the awesomeness of your mod, sorry. Being easily fixable is positive! Just a risk you running bringing a game to a show, right?

#1030 9 years ago

I guess any glue is going to break free over time, especially the Control Room that gets hammered. I came to this design solution because it makes for an absolutely minimal mounting point that doesn't obscure the backlight. A bracket with screws would be a deal-breaker IMO.

1 week later
#1031 9 years ago

I know it's taking forever, but...

t-rex is coming.jpgt-rex is coming.jpg

1 month later
#1032 8 years ago

I'm working on the new molds today. If all goes well, I'll be able to cast some production t-rexes this weekend, too.

#1033 8 years ago

WAHOO!!!

#1034 8 years ago

All three parts are boxed in and sealed for pouring the first half of the molds.

There were so many alterations needed for the jaw, I'm opting to make a mold of my already altered prototype jaw. That way I can be sure the production jaws come out the way they need to. I would risk not altering the original correctly and it's too brittle for in game testing.

20150523_145637.jpg20150523_145637.jpg

#1035 8 years ago

patiently waiting.

#1036 8 years ago

20150523_165632.jpg20150523_165632.jpg1st halves poured. This silicone has a 4 hour demold time so I'll hopefully get to pour the other sides later tonight.

#1037 8 years ago

I wasn't confident that the molds had cured fully at the 4 hour mark, so decided to leave them for longer. I just checked them again and they have firmed up well. I'll try to pour the other halves in the morning.

#1038 8 years ago

I wasn't confident that the molds had cured fully at the 4 hour mark, so decided to leave them for longer. I just checked them again and they have firmed up well. I'll try to pour the other halves in the morning.

OK. I guess I can wait until Tuesday to get mine.

#1039 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

OK. I guess I can wait until Tuesday to get mine.

Some Tuesday next year maybe...

#1040 8 years ago

I poured the rest earlier. If I get time later today, I might get to cast one.

#1041 8 years ago

Just poured resin into the new molds. It has a 90 minute demold time, so here's hoping I have some good news later.

This is also my first attempt at spraying primer into the mold prior to casting, which is supposed to chemically bond the primer to the resin.

#1042 8 years ago

Just poured resin into the new molds. It has a 90 minute demold time, so here's hoping I have some good news later.
This is also my first attempt at spraying primer into the mold prior to casting, which is supposed to chemically bond the primer to the resin.

Yea! I was just thinking of this project the last day or so and wondering how it was going! It looks like things are going great!

#1043 8 years ago

I demolded the chest and jaw. Both were way too malleable, meaning they weren't finished curing. I'm going to leave the big piece over night. I went with the black resin with the longest pot life (used the quicker curing kind last time) so I'd have more time to work and could maybe put it in the vacuum chamber to eliminate bubbles, but the long cure time is going to limit the number I can cast in a day to maybe one or two.

#1044 8 years ago

The new molds look like they're going to give good results. I unfortunately dropped the first new head/back piece onto the concrete and broke a piece off...

I poured the second attempt this morning.

#1045 8 years ago

I'm getting good results from the new molds. Besides capturing the changes, these molds yield parts that are much easier to clean up and finalize when compared to my last molds which makes for a quicker turn-around time from casting to painting.

Also, the primer in the mold seems to be working. Hopefully that ends up being a good solution.

20150525_134519.jpg20150525_134519.jpg

#1046 8 years ago

Looks good!!

#1047 8 years ago

The next step is to test one of the newly cast t-rexes in the game to confirm they're coming out correctly. I'm busy with work for the next couple of days, so I'll hopelly get a chance to test on Friday. I'll post back with results.

If all goes well, I'll exhaust my current supply of resin and paint them up for sale. I expect that to yield 10 to 15 (possibly a couple more) for this run. I'll formalize the wait list and start contacting people who PMed with details on their place in line and my guess on how long until I get to theirs.

Thanks to everyone for their support so far!

Thanks,
Jim

#1048 8 years ago

I'm getting good results from the new molds. Besides capturing the changes, these molds yield parts that are much easier to clean up and finalize when compared to my last molds which makes for a quicker turn-around time from casting to painting.
Also, the primer in the mold seems to be working. Hopefully that ends up being a good solution.
20150525_134519.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Awww, he wants to go play outside.

#1049 8 years ago

20150526_185511.jpg20150526_185511.jpg
I happen to be in the Times Square area for work and found this in Toys R Us! It was animatronic. So awesome!

#1050 8 years ago

I need that. Especially since they are closing that store soon. Maybe they'll have a clearance sale.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.