thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_20190420_1606570 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_0929475 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
IMG_20190411_1643041 (resized).jpg
trex teeth (resized).PNG
IMG_20190409_1606249 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190408_2131561 (resized).jpg
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 36.
#701 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I also haven't done much play-testing.

Send me one and I will test it for ya. That way you don't have to install yours in the game

#702 9 years ago

Jim sign me up for an unpainted one. Save you some grey matter.
I'll send you money now so you can buy some ventilation devices. Stat.

#703 9 years ago

I would like one I don't care about the eyes or the color it is. It so much better than the stock one.

#704 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

Jim sign me up for an unpainted one. Save you some grey matter.
I'll send you money now so you can buy some ventilation devices. Stat.

I already cast all the resin I had, and will likely paint up and sell all the current t-rexes I have, but I'm definitely going to get a better setup with proper ventilation in place before I do another run. I will sell unpainted ones eventually.

#705 9 years ago

I already cast all the resin I had, and will likely paint up and sell all the current t-rexes I have, but I'm definitely going to get a better setup with proper ventilation in place before I do another run. I will sell unpainted ones eventually.

#706 9 years ago

I have some concerns that are giving me some anxiety with this project so thought I'd throw them out there:

1. Wanting to keep things on the up-and-up, I'll need to pay taxes on the income I make from selling these. Might need to pay sales tax, too, at least for anyone purchasing in Indiana... Oh what fun that's going to be to figure out... Paying taxes, as I should, means less money recouped for my efforts and therefore I might need to charge more than I would have liked.

2. If I take PayPal payments (the easiest way to collect payments), I have no real protection from getting screwed over by an unscrupulous buyer. Other forms of payment are going to be a hassle for me and the buyer.

3. What if Universal (or Data East via Stern?) wants to shut me down? Am I replicating something that requires a license? As far as I can tell, the Papo dinosaur toy line is based off of JP dinos, but aren't licensed and they're making more money than I'd ever hope to make on this project. I guess that would be the precedent for me not being as concerned about this issue.

The business side of this is going to be what makes me not enjoy this project...

#707 9 years ago

3. What if Universal (or Data East via Stern?) wants to shut me down? Am I replicating something that requires a license? As far as I can tell, the Papo dinosaur toy line is based off of JP dinos, but aren't licensed and they're making more money than I'd ever hope to make on this project. I guess that would be the precedent for me not being as concerned about this issue.

I think you are clear here. You are making a dinosaur head. No one has the copyright on a generic dinosaur. It's not like you are making Dino The Dinosaur from the Flintstones.

#708 9 years ago

I have some concerns that are giving me some anxiety with this project so thought I'd throw them out there:
1. Wanting to keep things on the up-and-up, I'll need to pay taxes on the income I make from selling these. Might need to pay sales tax, too, at least for anyone purchasing in Indiana... Oh what fun that's going to be to figure out... Paying taxes, as I should, means less money recouped for my efforts and therefore I might need to charge more than I would have liked.
2. If I take PayPal payments (the easiest way to collect payments), I have no real protection from getting screwed over by an unscrupulous buyer. Other forms of payment are going to be a hassle for me and the buyer.
The business side of this is going to be what makes me not enjoy this project...

Anyone buying from you that lives in Indiana has to pay you sales tax, which you turn over to the state. Outside of that, it's up to the buyer's local laws and their own sense of duty to pay their state or not.

#709 9 years ago

I will send CASH. Problem solved

#710 9 years ago

We have been selling the Tron Arcade mod version 2.1 and 3.1 for a while now. The pinball community is just great to deal with. We take PayPal and never had an issue with anyone. We have found that the Golden rule applies very well here. So I would not worry about that one.

PayPal reports everything to the IRS so yes we pay taxes on the money just like all the rest of the money we make. You do need to keep track of your expenses for your taxes.

I hope that helps some.

#711 9 years ago

Not sure Aurich wants to be giving legal/tax advice, but he's posted in a few threads about how he handled scaling up his translite operation, so it might be worth shooting him a PM to see if he has any pointers on tracking orders and payments, taxes, etc.

Paypal would probably be the easiest for buyers (and likely for you too) but I'm sure anyone following this thread would work with you if you wanted payment by money order (or even cash). People want this mod!

And I'm not an IP lawyer but I'd be extremely surprised if anyone tried to argue you owed a licensing fee for making a generic dinosaur sculpture.

#712 9 years ago

Just do this to any one that doesn't do you right... release your T-Rex wrath upon them while they are on the toilet tumblr_n89m2zWcWa1t0n5z8o2_500.giftumblr_n89m2zWcWa1t0n5z8o2_500.gif

#713 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Not sure Aurich wants to be giving legal/tax advice, but he's posted in a few threads about how he handled scaling up his translite operation, so it might be worth shooting him a PM to see if he has any pointers on tracking orders and payments, taxes, etc.

I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, this isn't legal advice, blah blah. But I can tell you what I do.

I take money via Paypal, haven't had a single person try and screw me or anything. I've refunded a couple payments for various reasons (some were my fault) and that's painless. I've heard the nightmare stories, but my experience is the pinball collector community is full of solid people, haven't run into a bad egg yet.

I will say though that Paypal can be tricky, if they notice a sudden spike of money coming into your account they can lock it down, demand to know what you're selling, who your supplier is, proof that you're shipping it, etc. I had to deal with that. First person I talked to wasn't helpful, second one when I explained it was just hobby stuff on a forum totally got it and bypassed the BS, just asked for shipping numbers so they could see I was actually sending people what they paid for. Once I provided that my account was unlocked, no problems since. Something to keep in mind.

I report all my earnings to the IRS and pay taxes on them. I deduct all my expenses from that, the cost of printing, shipping, buying boxes and labels, supplies for prototyping etc.

Technically Paypal won't report anything to the IRS as long as you bring in under $20,000 a year, but I believe in keeping everything above board and legit. My books aren't necessarily organized, but I really do pay all my taxes, and I'd survive an audit (I hope I never have to test that!)

I'm already incorporated, so I just report the earnings as part of my corporate profit, my CPA handles all that. I don't know what your situation is, if you're filing under self employed income there's some crap you have to deal with, but it's not that hard, I did that for years before I got serious enough to incorporate. Not for pinball mods, my design company, just to be clear.

My real advice though? Charge as much as you need to. Don't worry about the price. If it's too much money for some people they can not buy it. I definitely don't look to gouge anyone on my projects, I feel like they're priced fairly for the market, but I factor everything into my price. Not just the cost of materials, and shipping, but all the time I have to spend managing orders, printing labels, folding boxes etc. It can seriously be a full time thing some days. And that's not factoring in the #1 cost: the time to develop things. I spend hours and hours getting the art right so I'm happy with it. And I know you feel me on that one! That time is precious, it's what makes the mod count.

I honestly don't think I've had a single person complain to me about my prices. But if they did I'd basically shrug. I wouldn't be a dick or anything, but if it's not worth it to you then don't buy it, these are just for fun. I'm not selling water in the middle of a desert.

I'm working on something new right now that's more ambitious than my previous projects. It will require multiple vendors and assembly and more prototyping and research than usual; if I end up offering it to people it will probably not be cheap. If people think it's too expensive I simply won't make it, I'll enjoy it on my personal machine (only hint I'm dropping!) and life will go on.

So figure out what you think you should charge. And then add 25% to that because you're probably being too conservative.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

#714 9 years ago

I'm in for one! Just let me know how you want paid!

#715 9 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

I will send CASH. Problem solved

And when that cash is stolen in the mail, and not received by the seller what do you do? You are SOL in that scenario and it happens regularly. Risky sending cash in the mail.

#716 9 years ago

I'm thinking Road Trip & Ca$h baby!

#717 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, this isn't legal advice,

Sounds like a lawyer....

#718 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Sounds like a lawyer....

Notice my use of the very technical "blah blah", that's the sure sign.

#719 9 years ago

You're making a totally unique toy as a replacement, there is no 'anything' you need to do here.

#720 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Notice my use of the very technical "blah blah

Isn't that legaleze?

#721 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, this isn't legal advice, blah blah. But I can tell you what I do.
I take money via Paypal, haven't had a single person try and screw me or anything. I've refunded a couple payments for various reasons (some were my fault) and that's painless. I've heard the nightmare stories, but my experience is the pinball collector community is full of solid people, haven't run into a bad egg yet.
I will say though that Paypal can be tricky, if they notice a sudden spike of money coming into your account they can lock it down, demand to know what you're selling, who your supplier is, proof that you're shipping it, etc. I had to deal with that. First person I talked to wasn't helpful, second one when I explained it was just hobby stuff on a forum totally got it and bypassed the BS, just asked for shipping numbers so they could see I was actually sending people what they paid for. Once I provided that my account was unlocked, no problems since. Something to keep in mind.
I report all my earnings to the IRS and pay taxes on them. I deduct all my expenses from that, the cost of printing, shipping, buying boxes and labels, supplies for prototyping etc.
Technically Paypal won't report anything to the IRS as long as you bring in under $20,000 a year, but I believe in keeping everything above board and legit. My books aren't necessarily organized, but I really do pay all my taxes, and I'd survive an audit (I hope I never have to test that!)
I'm already incorporated, so I just report the earnings as part of my corporate profit, my CPA handles all that. I don't know what your situation is, if you're filing under self employed income there's some crap you have to deal with, but it's not that hard, I did that for years before I got serious enough to incorporate. Not for pinball mods, my design company, just to be clear.
My real advice though? Charge as much as you need to. Don't worry about the price. If it's too much money for some people they can not buy it. I definitely don't look to gouge anyone on my projects, I feel like they're priced fairly for the market, but I factor everything into my price. Not just the cost of materials, and shipping, but all the time I have to spend managing orders, printing labels, folding boxes etc. It can seriously be a full time thing some days. And that's not factoring in the #1 cost: the time to develop things. I spend hours and hours getting the art right so I'm happy with it. And I know you feel me on that one! That time is precious, it's what makes the mod count.
I honestly don't think I've had a single person complain to me about my prices. But if they did I'd basically shrug. I wouldn't be a dick or anything, but if it's not worth it to you then don't buy it, these are just for fun. I'm not selling water in the middle of a desert.
I'm working on something new right now that's more ambitious than my previous projects. It will require multiple vendors and assembly and more prototyping and research than usual; if I end up offering it to people it will probably not be cheap. If people think it's too expensive I simply won't make it, I'll enjoy it on my personal machine (only hint I'm dropping!) and life will go on.
So figure out what you think you should charge. And then add 25% to that because you're probably being too conservative.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Do you collect CA sales tax for residents of the state that order your products?

#722 9 years ago

Just have people send a Postal Money Order. That's it...

#723 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Do you collect CA sales tax for residents of the state that order your products?

I don't, and I'm honestly ignorant of that whole side of things. I guess if you're set up right that you can get a resale license, and then not pay sales tax on the materials you need to buy to sell? I dunno.

I'm used to running a business and paying taxes, but I'm not any kind of retail expert, my income is a service/consultant driven thing. This is just a hobby, it was never meant to be any kind of job or make serious money. I'm paying the IRS and that's about as far as my crazy advanced scheming goes.

#724 9 years ago

Until you sell about 300 of these I would not worry about it. Bigger fish to fry.

#725 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Until you sell about 300 of these I would not worry about it. Bigger fish to fry.

I'm definitely pressing on.

IMG_20141207_013815.jpgIMG_20141207_013815.jpg

#726 9 years ago

I would love to wake up Christmas morning installing this beautiful guy in my machine. Santa, are you listening? I have been very nice this year.

#727 9 years ago

Appreciate your efforts, the T-Rex looks amazing!

#728 9 years ago

Since nobody else has said it, I'll go out on a limb and say this is possibly the best pinball mod that's been brought to the market. If pinball mods where art, this would be a masterpiece

#729 9 years ago

It's been said!

#730 9 years ago

More than a few times...

#731 9 years ago

Good work !! Fantastic!!!
Are you selling they already??

#732 9 years ago

The original dinosaur toy is what makes me want to add a JP to my collection. And holy hell, you took it to the next level. Redundant post among a sea of praise, but I just want to say good job man!

#733 9 years ago

I still get PMs about this. There's no waiting list, I'm not selling them, and I don't know the price... yet. Anyone have a suggestion on where to put this info? I'd put it in the first post if I thought people would read it!

I do appreciate the interest and enthusiasm, though.

I'm working on finishing up 3, as pictured, and will know, and announce, the price once I have them finished.

I'm likely to do a smaller initial pilot group, maybe only 3 or 4, gather feedback and address any issues that impact the design and then open it up a little more to about 10. I might be able to get the initial pilot group out the door this month, but probably not more than that.

I'm not taking names until I have a price. I've also got a few people in mind for the early pilot group, if they're interested, so consider it an invitation only affair. I'll announce when any are up for grabs during the pilot.

Thanks,
Jim

#734 9 years ago

I can't wait to see what you're cooking up next.....

#735 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't, and I'm honestly ignorant of that whole side of things. I guess if you're set up right that you can get a resale license, and then not pay sales tax on the materials you need to buy to sell? I dunno.
I'm used to running a business and paying taxes, but I'm not any kind of retail expert, my income is a service/consultant driven thing. This is just a hobby, it was never meant to be any kind of job or make serious money. I'm paying the IRS and that's about as far as my crazy advanced scheming goes.

I guess I wouldn't sweat it too much. Now, if you collected the sales tax and didn't turn it over, then Governor Moonbeam might want to have a little chat with you!

#736 9 years ago

Looks amazing! Your progress is just fantastic!

#737 9 years ago

I still get PMs about this. There's no waiting list, I'm not selling them, and I don't know the price... yet. Anyone have a suggestion on where to put this info? I'd put it in the first post if I thought people would read it!
I do appreciate the interest and enthusiasm, though.
I'm working on finishing up 3, as pictured, and will know, and announce, the price once I have them finished.
I'm likely to do a smaller initial pilot group, maybe only 3 or 4, gather feedback and address any issues that impact the design and then open it up a little more to about 10. I might be able to get the initial pilot group out the door this month, but probably not more than that.
I'm not taking names until I have a price. I've also got a few people in mind for the early pilot group, if they're interested, so consider it an invitation only affair. I'll announce when any are up for grabs during the pilot.
Thanks,
Jim

#738 9 years ago

I got the 7mm lenses in today (pictured on the right). The first ones were 8mm glass ones and not as domed. The 7mm ones are acrylic and have a very nice domed curve to them, so I'm hoping they look just right in size and effect when installed.

I'll try to install and show an example as soon as possible.

IMG_20141208_170646.jpgIMG_20141208_170646.jpg

#739 9 years ago

#740 9 years ago

That T-rex looks intimidating

#741 9 years ago

Every update is better than the next! Great job!

#742 9 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

That T-rex looks intimidating

Quoted from pinballpete:

Every update is better than the next! Great job!

Hold on, I haven't even changed anything yet! That's still the same brown t-rex with the 8mm eye displayed in other pics.

#743 9 years ago

Hold on, I haven't even changed anything yet! That's still the same brown t-rex with the 8mm eye displayed in other pics.

Lies, that's obviously the new Crying T-Rex mod!

#744 9 years ago

Looks great, I'll go ahead and put myself on the waiting list.

#745 9 years ago

And it is still as intimidating as it was yesterday

#746 9 years ago

Indiana folks, like myself, can just pay cash.
Is there a line already ? And Jim, could you please put me on it ?
Please and thank you.

#747 9 years ago

I want to like the latest t-rex the best, problem is I can't see it. Does anybody see it? Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

#748 9 years ago

There is no line. There is no list. There is no cost.

Wait for a PM and or stay tuned.

#749 9 years ago

Please don't cry sad Trex...

Post edited by BobC: added picture

328953.jpg328953.jpg
#750 9 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Indiana folks, like myself, can just pay cash.
Is there a line already ? And Jeff, could you please put me on it ?
Please and thank you.

I would be willing to pay cash as well. Even pick up in person for grins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
There are 1,757 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.