Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by shaub
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I bought a Jurassic Park a few months ago and several flashers did not work. I replaced some bulbs and found that several were burnt out. At that time I didn't check all of them. It needed a major cleaning, polishing etc so I removed the playfield from the cabinet and did all the necessary work. I reinstalled it today and had a few minor issues that were easy fixes - flipper switch adjust, ball trough switches adjusted. Everything seems to work except 1 flasher section.

On page 30 of the manual they are the 4r. The wire colors are blk/or and or. Aside from testing continuity from the sockets to the plugs on the boards which I'll do first. What to check after that?

I'm relatively new to pin repair so any help would be appreciated. - Barry

#2 11 years ago

Get your old meter out and hook it to a flasher socket and see if it jumps when the flasher should flash.

If so you have power and looking at bad socket or bad bulb.

If not you lost power then go back the other way until you figure where power stops. Then fix that.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

I was picturing a dinosaur in a trench coat running around hassling old ladies.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I was picturing a dinosaur in a trench coat running around hassling old ladies. []

Call National Geographic and Goodwill. NG will capture that sucker and GW will clothe it.

LTG

#5 11 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Checked voltage at socket - none
Checked for + when using ground from an unrelated flasher - good
Checked continuity between all flashers in the circuit - good
Checked continuity between sockets and ppb board - good
Checked large resistors on ppb board - all checked similar
Checked diodes on ppb board - all similar except d12 (way off and in the circuit in question)
Picked up a replacement 1n5404 at Radio Shack and soldered it in - Flashers are back!

My first pinball board repair. Now everything is working on my Jurassic Park. - Barry

#6 11 years ago

Thank you for two things:

1. Reporting back and letting us know the problem so others that may have the same problem down the road will have an idea what the problem source could be.

2. Proving that every once in a blue moon, diodes do go bad. Yours is the first I think I've ever heard of it happening.

8 years later
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

Everything seems to work except 1 flasher section.

I had the same issue on a Baywatch machine, one flasher section was out. Though I noticed they would light ever so slightly, barely noticeable at all.

I ended up determining that the blk-org (not working) section somehow had continuity to the blk-gry section(working) at the PPB J9 connector (this connector runs to the backbox lights (through another connector) and the playfield. I isolated the issue to 1 of the 2 playfield flasher LEDs. I ended up determining that one of the Flasher LEDs had an internal short between it's 2 legs, fixed that and now they work and there is no continuity to the blk-gry section.

I'm not entirely sure why my issue manifested in continuity between the two sections, but I'm guessing that the internal short of the blk-org flasher provided continuity to the nearby blk-gry line through the power wiring (orange wire).

I found this thread while looking for some leads on solving my issue so I figured I'd add my experience to it as well.

So if you're having flasher issues, make sure the bulbs or LEDs aren't internally shorted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-flasher-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.