(Topic ID: 179257)

Jurassic Park - Finally Fixed All of the Bugs!

By JohnSteed

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Time
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jp playfield (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hey everybody!

I am happy to report I have finally worked out all of the bugs that have plagued my JP pinball machine! I figured I would give a summary of the final problems and what I did to correct them. The problems included a T-Rex head that always went down but never came up during startup, a message stating "Too Many Balls" on the DMD, weird garbled sound during game play, balls feeding into the shooter lane out of order during game play. The game would play, but with these errors. It was not fun.

First off, whenever I would start up a game, the T-Rex head would go down. WTF??? All the T-Rex switches checked out in diagnostics, I was able to move the head around with ease using the flipper keys, start button, and trigger switches. This one had me very much stumped! I decided to hold off on it until I fixed the other problems.

Next, upon start-up, the DMD displayed "Too Many Balls" although I had the standard 6 balls installed. I started diagnostics and emptied all of the balls. I then lifted the playfield enough to expose the trough switches. I put the diagnostics feature on switch test. Then, using a pencil, I pressed each trough switch down. Immediately I noticed switches numbers 1 and 2 had bent levers that were rubbing against the side of the trough. I removed the screws that held them in place and gently straightened the levers with needle-nose pliers. I reinstalled the switches and they worked fine.

I also noticed that switch #7 was sort of bent up so that it was not making full contact when depressed. I removed it and straightened it with needle-nose pliers too. I tested it and all was good!

Next, I went back into the onboard computer and went into the Adjustments section and I decided to play with the T-Rex settings. I turned off the left to right movement settings. After that, I started up a game and viola! Everything now works! It sounds easy, but what a stinking frustrating adventure! I have been working on this machine for months and now finally everything works.

I have since played about a dozen games. I shopped the playfield and added a few custom features (several toy dinosaurs I bought at Walmart for a dollar and a toy man dressed in a safari outfit). I wanted to also add a red Jeep like the one in the movie, but I will do that at a later date.

This machine is now in better than new condition with a perfect playfield, new power supply and MCU, and custom add-ons. It is my least favorite game to work on and truly a confusing mess to figure out. But now it is a working machine in my collection of perfect pins!

Have a great day! Play pinball!

Mike

#2 7 years ago

jp playfield (resized).jpgjp playfield (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Glad to hear it. I spent Sunday working on my JP too. Still have other issues unfortunately for me.

I previously had a very similar problem with too few balls and my T-REX didn't start up. Same issue though; my #6 switch in the trough had a bad diode across it and the game was just being funky. Messing with it fixed the problem but I went ahead and replaced the diode. It was a confusing problem for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-finally-fixed-all-of-the-bugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.