• Latest reply 6 years ago by JDissen87
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DEJP_PwrSply_C2_Damage (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Had my Jurassic Park for 2 weeks now. Wife was playing last night and as the ball enter the T-Rex it just froze. Display went out and all game sounds stopped. GI on and had buzz in speakers. CPU Board had no led lights at all. Swapped out the power supply from my Hook (it is a Rottendog) and JP CPU now has +5v light and PIA Light on all the time. Dino Roar when first turned on and still only hum and GI after that. Read a long post about this from 3 years ago that seemed to go nowhere so need some advice. My first idea is to now swap out the CPU from my Hook. Whilst doing that I broke a pin on the JP ROM. New ROM on the way but am I doing the right thing? I dont want to lunch out the good CPU if there is something else I should look for first. Again, no problems at all before this happened.

So not booting, which I am guessing that is why I have no sound or Display. GI work and audio Hum with new Rottendog power supply and I have +5v light and PIA light solid on CPU Board.

Original Power supply GI work and audio Hum but no lights on CPU Board.

Thanks
Garey

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from gggross:

Whilst doing that I broke a pin on the JP ROM.

Try soldering a resistor lead onto the ROM for now.

Sometimes when you lose power, the RAM gets corrupted. Try removing your batteries from the MPU and try without them to see if you can get it to boot.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Try soldering a resistor lead onto the ROM for now.
Sometimes when you lose power, the RAM gets corrupted. Try removing your batteries from the MPU and try without them to see if you can get it to boot.

It does not have batteries, has the battery eliminator, Should I remove it?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from gggross:

Find it difficult to believe a some bad data in ram makes a pinball not boot so don’t this is required. You can still try the JP cpu in the hook with the Hook rom.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Find it difficult to believe a some bad data in ram makes a pinball not boot so don’t this is required. You can still try the JP cpu in the hook with the Hook rom.

I recently worked on a board that did where the power supply had caused resets and then 5volts shut off completely. After repairing the power supply and removing the batteries on the MPU, it booted.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from gggross:

Well, only way to really reset NVRAM is to swap the game ROM or swap temporarily an older RAM into the game to see if you can get it to boot.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

You can still try the JP cpu in the hook with the Hook rom.

I know the JP ROM is one EPROM and if Hook ROM is 2 EPROMs (as I believe it is) then a jumper is required to be changed for it to boot after swapping between boards.

#8 6 years ago

OK super bowl over now can mess a bit more....

I took the CPU board out of the JP and the Rottendog CPU board out of the Hook. Installed the Hook ROM in the original CPU from JP, installed in machine and Hook works fine with the JP CPU Board. Hook is still running the Rottendog power supply and PPB. What should I try next. I am still waiting on the new JP Rom as the old one has a broken pin and i could not solder an attachment to it. Should I try to put original JP power supply into Hook? PS I also swithced the NVRAM and my Hook scores are still saved.

#9 6 years ago

I just closely inspected the Original JP Power Supply. I can see no burns, leaks, cold solder joints, nothing. I pulled each fuse and tested each one. They all test good with a continuity meter, but when i put them on a bench tester the .5 amp fuse shows no good. Probably some minor continuity but a bad fuse. I replaced all fuses. In doing so one of the fuse holders broke. Replaced it. Put the power supply board into Hook and I get GI and humm but no +5V or any kind of led lights on the CPU Board. Pull it out put back in the Rottendog and perfect machine again.

So, what I think I have learned is that at the very least the Original Power Supply is bad. Obviously the CPU must be good because it works in Hook.

Funny thing is that when I put the Good Components from Hook into the JP I could only Get +5 Volt and PIA Light solid all the time. No Blanking and no Boot. A quick roar from the Trex Audio. Again, I will be getting the ROM for JP in next couple days and can try again with all new Rottendog in the JP transplanted from the Hook.

I at least need a new Power Supply. Could there be anything else that caused the power supply to fail to begin with. Again, this all happened during gameplay when the ball landed on the T-Rex pad. My wife does not remember if the T-Rex moved at all but it froze up before it started its tilt downward or was ejected from pad. Could a T-Rex problem of some sort kill the power supply? Or was it just its time.....

Advice? Experience? Anyone repair power supplies?

#10 6 years ago

So got the JP Rom, installed all Rottendog Boards from Hook into JP and it works great! The Hook is now using the JP CPU Board and awaiting either a repaired Original Power supply board or a new replacement of some sort. So It looks like this all came down to a failure somewhere in the original JP power supply. Having another compatible Data East Machine made this a bit easier but for my blunder of breaking the original JP ROM.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

#11 6 years ago

I'm sure your C2 (100uf 25v or higher) electrolytic capacitor has crapped out and may have even leaked and possibly damaged the pad/feedthrough under it. When either happens, you will lose 5volts. It will be best to change all the capacitors on the power supply board.

The sign of a leaking capacitor is that you will see some wet electrolyte under the capacitor or on the board surrounding it.

#12 6 years ago

Here is a decent picture of what happened to my C2 on my Jurassic park last November.
DEJP_PwrSply_C2_Damage (resized).jpgDEJP_PwrSply_C2_Damage (resized).jpg
I lost sound but the game still played, for the most part.
I wasn't able to see any damage until I removed the C2 cap.
Ended up having Chris Hibler repair it for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-data-east-will-not-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.