(Topic ID: 289666)

Jurassic Park Data East Going Haywire When Ball Ejects

By Lord_Pancake

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BE9D014A-22D7-48AF-BAC0-C41555EAE6F8 (resized).jpeg
    786CF018-25BF-4B7B-AD33-282C65DEE9AE (resized).jpeg
    0CFEC28C-DA8A-4004-9275-CCDD30BA850C (resized).jpeg
    8374092da1e53967ac70ccb51142939c37607f20 (resized).jpeg
    CC7BD112-B8DD-4494-BD38-1FAA20F3441E (resized).jpeg
    83AC3769-F3E8-4864-8CF6-C684A0E74D07 (resized).jpeg
    9198E03E-336D-4146-A8E8-6BBC6494CA8E (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Be gentle, this is my first Pin. My first post. My balls were getting stuck in the trough and not hitting the microswitches properly. They seemed too tight. So I added a washer under the bolts for the solenoid and the metal shield the holds the balls in place.

Put the game back together. And now the balls don’t seem to catch anymore. But when a game is started, the ball ejects to the plunger. Usually you get the raptor screen and can wait to shoot it (and the ball). Now as soon as the ball hits the plunger the game cycles through modes, the solenoid in the bunker just keeps going off and the music cuts out.

What the hell happened?

#jurassic-park

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lord_Pancake:

What the hell happened?

Go over your work you did. Something now shorting to metal ?

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Go over your work you did. Something now shorting to metal ?

I checked all the microswitches in the trough none of the wires or diodes are touching each other. I’ll have to pull it back apart to check the ejector microswitch and the plunger (which I didn’t touch at all). I did all this from the coin door and under the black plastic Guard, I didn’t lift the play field.

Thank you.

#4 3 years ago

Lifted the play field and checked wires. There was this wire that was spliced and the electrical tape fell off. Might have caused AN issue. However checked everywhere else and didn’t see anything.

Still doing the same thing...

9198E03E-336D-4146-A8E8-6BBC6494CA8E (resized).jpeg9198E03E-336D-4146-A8E8-6BBC6494CA8E (resized).jpeg
    #5 3 years ago

Played a few games full through. Ball 1 is let into the ejector, ejects. Then as soon as it hits the microswitch for the plunger/trigger the game goes hectic running through a few screens rapidly and random solenoids kick on. The moment you hit the trigger all that stops when the ball is kicked into the play field.

Play is flawless. Multi ball/etc works great now that I fixed the issue with the balls sticking in the trough.

But there ya something up with the wiring/microswitch for the trigger/ball solenoid. It’s late, I’ll have to figure it out another time.

83AC3769-F3E8-4864-8CF6-C684A0E74D07 (resized).jpeg83AC3769-F3E8-4864-8CF6-C684A0E74D07 (resized).jpegCC7BD112-B8DD-4494-BD38-1FAA20F3441E (resized).jpegCC7BD112-B8DD-4494-BD38-1FAA20F3441E (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago

Eww, so much electrical tape.. it's everywhere!

Please do yourself a favor and get rid of all that tape (to get less troubleshooting in the future). Solder in proper connectors or replace the cables or at least use heat-shrink tubing that won't fall off (as tape does).

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Eww, so much electrical tape.. it's everywhere!

Yeah man, I just got the Pin, first time I pulled a play field up. I do plan on tidying up the wiring and fixing the hacked taped areas.

Thank you.

#8 3 years ago

When I have a weird playfield issue with switches the first thing I do is disconnect the coin door. Ive found that many issues can be attributed to pinched or shorted wires etc in coin door area.

#9 3 years ago

Maybe I missed someone calling it out above, but you might want to break out the soldering iron as your right slingshot is missing a switch connection...
    8374092da1e53967ac70ccb51142939c37607f20 (resized).jpeg8374092da1e53967ac70ccb51142939c37607f20 (resized).jpeg

As other have said, I'd work to get rid of any bare wire below the playfield. If certain things short against other certain things, you can do a lot more damage.

#10 3 years ago

Looks like both wires are connected to me. The third connection could be used if a diode is needed.

0CFEC28C-DA8A-4004-9275-CCDD30BA850C (resized).jpeg0CFEC28C-DA8A-4004-9275-CCDD30BA850C (resized).jpeg
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Looks like both wires are connected to me. The third connection could be used if a diode is needed.
    [quoted image]

So I am going to be resoldering this. I can take more pictures. But the solder has a clearly flat spot on it that has an indent identical to the part you can see that it broke off of.

I took the picture so show another problem I found, don’t know why I didn’t mention it. Thank you!!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from JDissen87:

Maybe I missed someone calling it out above, but you might want to break out the soldering iron as your right slingshot is missing a switch connection....

Yep! I will be soldering this. I don’t know why I didn’t mention it in my reply. Thank you for the reply. I found 3 sections with the bare wires. Took pictures of a few. Definitely a few hacks in here, I will endeavor to fix them all.

Do you like crimp connectors with shrink tubing? Or do you like to twist/solder/shrink wrap?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The third connection could be used if a diode is needed.

There is a diode below it on the other white wire.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lord_Pancake:

Or do you like to twist/solder/shrink wrap?

I like this.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I like this.

Perfect. Thank you for your time. Wipping out the Hakko

#16 3 years ago

While you are in there. Go over every switch. The wiring is the same on each switch. White wire ( and some color of stripe )and black end of diode to a lug. Green wire ( and some color of stripe ) to a lug. Silver band end of diode to a lug.

This will make sure you don't have any switch matrix errors with the wiring and direction of the diode. And only takes a few minutes to check.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

While you are in there. Go over every switch. The wiring is the same on each switch. White wire ( and some color of stripe )and black end of diode to a lug. Green wire ( and some color of stripe ) to a lug. Silver band end of diode to a lug.
    This will make sure you don't have any switch matrix errors with the wiring and direction of the diode. And only takes a few minutes to check.

Rock on man!! Will do. I’m going on vacation so might not get to it until l get back. But I’ll update the thread. Thank you again! Definitely some on the road operator quick hacks under here haha.

1 week later
    #18 3 years ago

Well. Back from vacation. Decided to open her back up. Put it in diagnostic mode and went to the switches, and took a video when I would hit the microswitch in the shooter lane it would also activate 5-6 other switches. Had to go frame by frame to write them all down. Then I checked each of those switches. The problem seemed to be in the “Herrerasaurus Low” target. Seemed the screw holding it in was maybe loose? I straightened the targets and made sure nothing else was touching and was able to run some games and didn’t appear that there were any issues during the gameplay.

However after 6-8 games then problem returned again. Checked the original culprit and there were no apparent issues. Put it back in diagnostic again and the shooter lane is now triggering 4-5 different switches than it was originally.

It was late so I stopped working on it for the night. Going to open her back up with fresh eyes and look around again. Very annoying.

One last thing, just for S&G I was checking diodes in circuit and the diode on the shooter lane microswitch is showing OL on one side when every other diode on other micro switches (when active) will show 1 and .5 respectively when swapping meter leads. There a problem with that diode?

786CF018-25BF-4B7B-AD33-282C65DEE9AE (resized).jpeg786CF018-25BF-4B7B-AD33-282C65DEE9AE (resized).jpegBE9D014A-22D7-48AF-BAC0-C41555EAE6F8 (resized).jpegBE9D014A-22D7-48AF-BAC0-C41555EAE6F8 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-data-east-going-haywire-when-ball-ejects and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.