(Topic ID: 132658)

Jurassic Park Coil Issue - I am losing my mind!

By InfiniteLives

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Hawk007
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Micro-Switch-Diode-Wiring.gif
bunker.control.switches.jpg
jploosewire.jpg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Alright so it all started with the scoop switch going out. I replaced that. Then... the game would no longer shoot a ball into the shooter lane. replaced that coil. then i got the infamous missing 6 balls Q54 transistor issue. I replaced the switch at the end of the ball trough, replaced all of the ball trough switches and added new diodes, and checked all solder joints. Made sure my coil on top of the trough had tape blocking the nut so i wouldnt short anything. replaced Q54. Boom all my switches worked again. Hooray. But my ball to shooter lane coil still wont work and now neither does the coil on the scoop.

Any ideas what I need to look for now? I have spent so much time trying to get this damn game back up and running, i will try anything that may work

#2 8 years ago

Do the coils fire in test ?
Check if the coils are getting power at the coil.
Or
You might of knocked a wire lose on the coils when working on the switches.

#3 8 years ago

The coil under the left scoop fires in testing but the coil that shoots the ball into the shooterlane does not. Also, now the coil on the left scoop fires a bunch while the startup trex test takes place.

So i did find a loose wire, and when i ground it to a close switch the dmd says its related to the trough. any idea where this wire goes? Im consulting the manual right now, its white with a red strip by the left side just past the scoops

jploosewire.jpgjploosewire.jpg

#4 8 years ago

The wht-red wire is for row 2, which could be one of eight switches. Check trough #2 based on the message you are getting.

Page 26 in the manual is the switch matrix diagram with the switch wiring info.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The wht-red wire is for row 2, which could be one of eight switches. Check trough #2 based on the message you are getting.
Page 26 in the manual is the switch matrix diagram with the switch wiring info.

thanks, yeah its not near long enough to have come off the trough. all my trough switches fire but the 3 spitter targets dont. so it is tied to that i think, but no matter where i place it i cant seem to get the spitter targets to work. On the switch matrix it looks like it should be Spitter Target #2 middle, but that one already has wires on it so i am confused.

My main issue is not having the coil shoot the ball into the shooter lane. Is there a place I need to start with that? It seems from what ive been reading it could be 1 of many TIP120/122 transistors on the board. I am going to see if I can trick the coil into firing by hooking an alligator clip to the ground by the prop rod and then the other end on the ground lug on the coil after work.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

On the switch matrix it looks like it should be Spitter Target #2 middle, but that one already has wires on it so i am confused.

All of the switches in row 2 will have two wht-red wires (since it is daisy-chained) with the exception of the last switch in the row. So go through the row 2 switches looking for the two that only have one red-wht wire. The wire belongs on one of those two.

If none of the spitter targets work then it is most likely a column 4 issue since they are all in that column. Fix the above issue first and then dig into this one.

I am going to see if I can trick the coil into firing by hooking an alligator clip to the ground by the prop rod and then the other end on the ground lug on the coil after work.

Use a 500 Ohm -1K resistor inline with the jumper (this helps prevent bad things from happening if you jumper incorrectly or a component in the circuit is shorted--diode for example), and only ground it briefly. Did you check for voltage at the coil?

#7 8 years ago

check the fuses on the PPB

#8 8 years ago

Okay thanks for the responses.
So tested all the fuses on my DMM and they are all good
I jumped the coil and it fires so thats goodish news. Seems like i could have another transistor out on the board maybe.
I am about to find where that wire goes and hook it back on and see what happens
Thanks for the replies!

#9 8 years ago

so no matter where i place the wire i dont get the spitter targets to work. it does however activate 1 trough switch, but now i have another trough switch out again... brand new switch and diode and diode tests good.

if anyone with a JP could take a picture of the wiring on the 3 spitter targets that would be fantastic!

#10 8 years ago

We're intermixing different problems here. Right now I would guess that not all of row 2 works because the wht-red wire is unattached. If you get it in the correct position then all of row 2 should work. As I said before this will not fix the column problems. If you find the two switches that have only a single wht-red wire attached then it belongs on one of them. Getting it on the correct one will make row 2 work, no more no less.

#11 8 years ago

so two of the 3 spitter switches only have 1 wht-red the other one doesnt have any wht-red... i just press it on all 3 during switch test and cant really determine which is correct as no position makes the spitter targets work

if anyone could supply me with a picture of the correct alignment that would be fantastic

#12 8 years ago

Then I would start troubleshooting the column issue and once that's resolved it should be easier to identify the row issue. If none of the spitter switches work, but the other switches in that column do work then the dasiy-chain is broken prior to the spitter switches. Then it's just a matter of tracking down the break.

Even if you get the wht-red wire in the correct position I don't think the spitter switches will work because of the issue above.

#13 8 years ago

Cool man thanks for the input,I'll keep plugging away

#14 8 years ago

so two of the 3 spitter switches only have 1 wht-red

Only the spitter target number 2 should have a wht-red wire. The other should be a wht-org wire.

In any case I would look at the column first since that will make it easier.

#15 8 years ago

Yeah i think you are right. I am kind of color blind and they looked the same haha. I will solder it back to the middle target after work and then check further down the chain and see what else is off as another one of my trough switches isnt working again. they all worked when i replaced the Q54 and they are all new and the diode tests fine still so i must have more wiring issues.

#16 8 years ago

so i soldered the wht/red back in the correct spot. Spitter targets dont work. coil to the shooter lane doesnt fire. trough switch 4 doesnt work but all other trough switches work. cant seem to see any other wire issues

q29 tranisitor (L/R relay) fires when jumped. ball to shooter lane coil fires when jumped. Q54 transistor tests fine. Q29 transistor tests fine

#17 8 years ago

We'll take one at a time, and I prefer to fix all switch problems before getting into coils since switch problems can cause coil firing problems.

The spitter switches are in column 4. Do the other switches in column 4 work?

#18 8 years ago

I don't know if you have tried it, but once you get your switch problems fixed, if your still having coil issues, try briefly grounding the tab on the corresponding transistor, if it does not fire you have a problem downstream, if it does you have a logic problem with the 7408 chip that drives that transistor, I just had to replace one and drove me crazy for a bit

#19 8 years ago

you guys are right, nothing in column 4 is working. raptor pit, t rex left and right, and the 3 spitter coils. time to look for more wiring issues! thanks

#20 8 years ago

check the transistor for that column 4 as well.

#21 8 years ago

yeah it looks like i need to check Q52. I have more transitors in the mail, unfortunetly i bought the last one my electronics store had when i repalced Q54.

#22 8 years ago

too bad you were not close by or i'd shoot you one. Did you try a electronics repair place or the like? They are pretty common transistors. I am sure thats what it is though. Soon you'll be playing away. Good luck!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

too bad you were not close by or i'd shoot you one. Did you try a electronics repair place or the like? They are pretty common transistors. I am sure thats what it is though. Soon you'll be playing away. Good luck!

i have 1 electronics place around here that i bought their last one unless radio shack carries them. I could check there i suppose, i try and avoid it hah

#24 8 years ago

Slightly loosen the row and column connectors and turn the game on. Then go into switch test and remove the row and column connectors. Jumper column 4 to any of the rows and see if you get a switch indication. This will tell you if it's board or playfield wiring.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Complete_.28or_most_of_a.29_Column.2FRow_of_Switches_Not_Working

Or a logic probe works great.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Slightly loosen the row and column connectors and turn the game on. Then go into switch test and remove the row and column connectors. Jumper column 4 to any of the rows and see if you get a switch indication. This will tell you if it's board or playfield wiring.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Complete_.28or_most_of_a.29_Column.2FRow_of_Switches_Not_Working
Or a logic probe works great.

good call. You read my mind..lol

#26 8 years ago

Alright, radio shack had the transistors
replaced it
all switches work now!

Coil still doesnt fire the ball into the shooter lane. seems all other coils work in test. if i ground that coil it will fire so it is getting power

#27 8 years ago

Good stuff! Does the ball serve coil work when you ask the game to clear the balls?

Make sure you have enough balls in the game too. Also check to make sure all switches register with a ball rolling over them and not your finger in case of something a little out of adjustment in the trough.

#28 8 years ago

all trough switches work. the ball serve coil, if thats the one on top of ball trough under the apron, that one does work. The one that shoots the ball into the shooter lane is the one I cant get to work. Game starts fine after the t rex test, then i hit start and it cant fire the ball up then it says 1 ball missing or more and does a ball search and never finds it then it clicks another ball to be shot up and it now is missing that ball ha.

#29 8 years ago

Does the coil in question [shooter lane serve] work otherwise? If it does not work in test or by asking it to clear the trough..you need to check the transistor for it . If it does work in test etc check the switch at the end of the trough for that coil. It is a big white switch mounted vertically with a wire form above the coil .

#30 8 years ago

It sounds like the last trough switch (the one that detects the ball to be shot into the shooter lane) may be flaky or not working. It's on the side of the trough. I think the ball will just sit there if that switch doesn't work.

#31 8 years ago

yup thats the switch I asked him to check. after checking that the coil works in test

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

yup thats the switch I asked him to check. after checking that the coil works in test

that end of trough switch works and i have replaced it in this process. it works in switch test. when pressed when the ball in "served up" the coil still doesnt fire.

The coil doesnt fire in test mode only if i jump its ground to make it fire, that is the only way i can make it fire. Also, now during the T rex test on boot up the left scoop coil fires a bunch randomly, not sure if this is related.

I can re-adjust that switch at the end of the trough and see if i can make it more sensitive to fire hair trigger style and see if that makes a difference

im guessing i need to replace the transistor that is associated with this coil, i have some in transit from marcos

Thanks again for all of your input, i really appreciate it. this is the first game ive had to bring back to life lol so its all new to me

#33 8 years ago

your transistor is definitely bad a tip 102 is best or if not available the 122 will do. After thats done you will be able to play away. Happy you got it fixed and the end is in sight.
Glad to help anytime.

#34 8 years ago

thanks, i ordered 10 Tip102's so hopefully i have enough to fix the remaining issues

how do i determine which specific transistor is responsible for that coil? I just have been reading the manual online, the schematics are kinda blurry trying to follow the lines back to the board

#35 8 years ago

should be q45 test it with your dmm to be sure

#36 8 years ago

Alright
So i replaced the Q45 and voila! The coil is back in action!
But now Im getting the "6 balls are missing" error again
Could my Q54 blown again already?
the switches work in the switch test in diagnostics which makes me think it must be something else. sometimes it says 6 balls missing sometimes it says 1 ball missing but they are all there and cant start a game

#37 8 years ago

Check switch test again ......... sounds like you have an adjustment issue ...also examine wiring and everything .... closely check the balls are activating the switches with enough travel etc. If still no go...

Set the playfield with the stands on the front of the game and turn on the game and go into switch test and see if you can make it flake out. IE wiggle suspect wires and tap on the playfield with the palm your hand and see if any switches register.

#38 8 years ago

HELL YEAH I LOVE YOU GUYS!
I got it working, i replaced the diode on trough 4 switch and we are back in business!!!!!!!! SO HAPPY
EDIT: DAMNIT DIDNT LAST LONG
played a game and got the ball in the left scoop and it didnt fire it out then said 6 balls missing. NOOO
edit2: Looks like my issues are the left or right scoop (not the bunker) isnt working and i forced the game into multi ball. It will give me the 3 in tri ball but i couldnt get chaos to go unless I used the smart missile. The switch on the ramp works and gives points but doesnt count for the O in CHAOS and i dont think it gave me the jackpot, but I didnt get it to fire all 6 balls in the game when i forced it to give me 6 ball multiball. Also, when i go into the control room it gives points but didnt start a game mode.
That was my original issues before all these other things arose. I replaced that switch and diode already. Again, they all work in the switch test.

Also my trough switches dont seem sensitive enough, how do I adjust these? i tried screwing them in at the steepest angle, not sure what else I can do with them

Thanks again guys!

#39 8 years ago

edit double post sorry

#40 8 years ago

check those bad switches in switch test with the ball. Your switch test is your friend. I was going to suggest diode but it seems like a wiring issue or maybe yet another transistor issue. Make sure ALL the switches work in test and report back. lets get you playing!

#41 8 years ago

Alright so i replaced Q51 and Q48 just incase and did not change anything.
I'll do more testing of switches tomorrow. How do you adjust the trough switches to be more sensitive?

#42 8 years ago

bend them. They should click at the half way mark in their stroke or range of motion when they are adjusted right.

#43 8 years ago

Okay I will do that after work.
I am more concerned with the Control Room / Bunker issue. This was my initial issue with the machine then all this other crap started happening when I replaced the Control Room switch and diode. The bunker coil doesn't fire when the ball is on it and the control room switch gives points but it doesnt activate game modes. That seems really odd and since I replaced their transistors im guessing its a switch/diode/wiring issue with those guys. I'll dig in more after work.

edit: I wonder if my diode on my control room switch is on the correct way, does anyone know which side the banded side of the diode goes on?

#44 8 years ago

sounds like its switch is still broken or its mis-wired or out of adjustment. Should be an easy fix.

#45 8 years ago

So I got replacement switches and diodes for the bunker and control room.
This is how i wired them, according to the manual the band of the diode should be on the right, the switches I replaced were on the left... so not sure which is correct.

Now the control room switch registers points in game but doenst start game modes (same issue)
The bunker switch seems to be activating the dino dna ramp stuff and going crazy when the game is on.
If the ball goes into the control room it doesnt fire out of the bunker until the ball search tries to find it.

Is this wired correctly?

bunker.control.switches.jpgbunker.control.switches.jpg

#46 8 years ago

Those look ok.
Because the ramp switches are ghost registering on the same column check your ramp switches are not shorted out or a diode is bad. Something in that column is bad so check all the switches in that column to start.

If the switch matrix is freaking out you have an issue still. Check your switch matrix test again and see what other switches activate when you activate other switches.
Only one should register when you hit a single switch. Check them all if you can.

#47 8 years ago

Alright thanks for the reassurance on those switches. Here are the switches in that column that are firing for 2 things:

Row WHT/BRN * Column GRN/BLK - Right Ramp Enter / also triggering Trough 1
Row WHT/VIO * Column GRN/BLK - Herrerasaurus Top / also triggering Trough 7
Row WHT/GRY * Column GRN/BLK - Brachiasaurus Low / also triggering Shooter Lane

These are all related to the Q54 Column of GRN/RED

All GRN/RED switches only fire their respective switch on the column.
Does this mean I need to search out all the GRN/BLK column wires to look for an issue?

#48 8 years ago

yes I would check the green black column switches that cause multiple closures.

#49 8 years ago

Row WHT/BRN * Column GRN/BLK - Right Ramp Enter / also triggering Trough 1
Row WHT/VIO * Column GRN/BLK - Herrerasaurus Top / also triggering Trough 7
Row WHT/GRY * Column GRN/BLK - Brachiasaurus Low / also triggering Shooter Lane

Take all of the balls out of the game and see if this still happens.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Take all of the balls out of the game and see if this still happens.

Okay, I will try this on my lunch break and report back. Won't have time to check wires again till this afternoon after work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-coil-issue-i-am-losing-my-mind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.