IMG_2307 (resized).jpeg
65CAB543-E774-4E3F-BE43-41A065718418 (resized).jpeg
172457CB-CDD8-4220-83F8-23B672578DD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4931 (resized).jpeg
71ZSWlVWEuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_2207 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

59 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Data East / JP Ball Trough fix (#7) [Video] Posted by ChadH (10 years ago)

Post #98 Jurassic Park Ford Explorer [External Article] Posted by blondetall (10 years ago)

Post #138 Ball not entering gate at pop bumpers Posted by accidental (9 years ago)

Post #159 Creation Of Jurassic Park’s CGI Dinos [Article / Video] Posted by blondetall (9 years ago)

Post #162 Link to Loop Combo Scoop Mod Thread Posted by InfiniteLives (9 years ago)

Post #182 Link to CRT Mod Thead Posted by CraZyMuffin (9 years ago)

Post #209 Custom Apron Cards Posted by Pinballocks (9 years ago)

Post #322 Playfield Back Wood-Block acrylic mod Posted by smerff (9 years ago)

Post #357 Switch Matrix / Random No Target Scoring Bug Posted by ChadH (9 years ago)

Post #374 Link to Shaker Problem Thread Posted by aobrien5 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider altan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3539 6 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Joining tomorrow!

IMG_9085 (resized).JPGIMG_9085 (resized).JPG

"Hey Guys! Nice to be here!!"

#3543 6 years ago

Quick question... what should T-rex do during boot up diagnostics?

How many times should he turn left / right and go down / up?

... Altan

#3548 6 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

Just happened to have leftover footage from my last video...

Thanks! My trex behaves exactly the same.

#3558 6 years ago

Hey everyone. For better or worse, I started a JP DMD problem thread. If you've run into this, please let me know.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-jp-dmd-shakes-wrottendog-power-board

... Altan

1 month later
#3701 6 years ago

Did a basic (c grade) shop on my JP. More to do, but looks nice. A91BB247-EC44-4203-9A6E-982F577AEF23 (resized).jpegA91BB247-EC44-4203-9A6E-982F577AEF23 (resized).jpeg

#3703 6 years ago

Thanks! The trex saucer has a little damage. Nice machine I picked up 2 months ago. Needs some work here and there but no basket case!

Edit... BTW, goes to show how pictures can be deceiving. It's a nice game, but looking at that pic... well, it's not that nice!

5 months later
#4308 6 years ago

Oh no! I just realized JP uses the spelling "STEGASAUR" which should really be STEGOSAUR, I believe.

IMG_0228 (resized).jpgIMG_0228 (resized).jpg

... Altan

1 week later
#4330 6 years ago

Just wanted to share that as part of cleaning / fixing my JP, I recently adjusted the left ramp diverter. Now the ball goes flying down the ramp and diverts across the playfield at full speed. However, it does this so fast that 25% of the time when it hits the end of the habittrail, it ends up bouncing out the open left side and roles down the top of the slingshot plastic.

So now I need to either (1) adjust the diverter so it's not quite as fast or (2) figure out a way to dampen the ball at the end of the habittrail.

What have others done?

... Altan

#4334 6 years ago

Anyone know where the 2nd "smart bomb" light is on the playfield? I'm referring to lamp 64.

The manual says "smart bomb x2", meaning there should be two bulbs. I can only find a single bulb under the smart bomb light just above the flippers. Maybe this is a mistake in the manual? Or there is a second one hiding somewhere...

... Altan

#4335 6 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Anyone know where the 2nd "smart bomb" light is on the playfield? I'm referring to lamp 64.
The manual says "smart bomb x2", meaning there should be two bulbs. I can only find a single bulb under the smart bomb light just above the flippers. Maybe this is a mistake in the manual? Or there is a second one hiding somewhere...
... Altan

Ha! Figured it out... The 2nd lamp is under the big button on the launcher handle!! I was looking on the playfield...

#4336 6 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

I am having this issue and usually goes out the right outlane...VERY ANNOYING! I've thought about getting the rubbers that just barely fit around the wireform. Not sure what size those are called. But one day I'll get around to trying it. Would this be size 0?

As a test, I cut a 1/8" wide piece of the fuzzy side of velcro and stuck it (using the adhesive on the back) to the LEFT side of the habit trail ending. This solved the problem. (Interestingly, putting it on the right, which I did first, made it much worse!)

I'm going to try other solutions, but wanted to share.

#4338 6 years ago

Hey Fellow Jurassic Park Friends. I've been slowly getting the gremlins out of my JP and I'm happy to say that it's now playing 100% and is "dialed in". I've also completed 95% of the upper playfield "shop" job... It's looking good! Below are a couple of pics. Also, more details about what I've done to my JP are on my site (http://www.aaarpinball.com/JurassicPark/JP.htm).

Below are a couple of pics...

IMG_0263 (resized).jpgIMG_0263 (resized).jpg
IMG_0264 (resized).jpgIMG_0264 (resized).jpg
IMG_0256 (resized).jpgIMG_0256 (resized).jpg

#4339 6 years ago

Tech / Behavior question. There is a spotlight on the back of the "shoot the t-rex box". This is the box that is in front of the T-Rex and has a lamp matrix lamp on the top and a flasher on the back.

There is a spotlight there too... but mine doesn't work. I suspect it is GI? However, the Jurassic Park manual doesn't seem to admit that this light exists. At least on page 36 "Lamp Bulb Park Numbers".

... Altan

1 week later
#4361 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

is this the beginning of a mass exodus?

Unless the buyer tossed it off the roof, there are still the same number of owners

#4368 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Unless people are doubling up.

Excellent point. Now that I think about it, I think there is evidence someone a 100 Miles offshore from Costa Rica is hoarding them.

2 months later
#4421 5 years ago

If someone has a minute, could you tell me how much play the plastic VUK part has?

Occasionally mine will just start firing the solenoid. The switch seems good. I cannot reproduce it on demand. No switch errors.

However, the plastic part has a lot of horizontal wiggle / play (when playfield is down). Wondering if normal...

91060340-07AA-405A-95C5-6ABC24FCD636 (resized).jpeg91060340-07AA-405A-95C5-6ABC24FCD636 (resized).jpeg

#4425 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I know the last time I messed with my VUK, both the one that came with the machine, and the one I replaced it with had quite a bit of wiggle.
I'd just say it's probably your switch just set too sensitive. But can't really give you any details of which direction you need to go and how much.
But I do see that you're missing a third clamp on the VUK. You've got two metal bands on there now. A third probably won't make a difference, just as long as it covers the pin that holds the ball catcher to the shaft.

Thanks @woody24. Good to know the wiggle is normal. I'll proceed to make some small tweaks to the switch.

... Altan

#4427 5 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi @altan,
It looks like you are missing one compression spring on your VUK which likely accounts for some of the slop/play that you are seeing with this mechanism. See the photo below of the VUK on my JP.
Also, I had a very similar issue with a VUK on my TFTC. Review this thread as it appears to be the same type of issue. I ended up purchasing a compression ring kit from Marco and installing it which fixed the issue 100 percent on my TFTC.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-vuk-issue
Gord

@grb1959 thanks! Great info too. I'm going to start by tweaking the switch. If that doesn't work, I'll buy that Macro replacement kit. Everything "seems" to work great when I'm checking it out... but then something goes wonky occasionally while playing.

There was also a comment about checking how the VUK switch wire makes its way back the the plunger switch and making sure that's a solid connection too... I'll check that out.

#4430 5 years ago

Thanks again for the thoughts, guys.

Turns out the simple solution worked. The switch just needed some adjustment. I was able to reproduce the problem AND keep the problem happening while I opened up the playfield last night. I'd not been successful before.

Turns out the switch was just sensitive enough that it could be activated when no balls was on the piston. This didn't happen all that often, but still occurred.

The switch is held by two screws + nuts and there is some adjustment available. I was able to loosen the screws/nuts and adjust the mounting so the switch is less sensitive.

... Altan

Quoted from altan:

Thanks woody24. Good to know the wiggle is normal. I'll proceed to make some small tweaks to the switch.
... Altan

Quoted from altan:

@grb1959 thanks! Great info too. I'm going to start by tweaking the switch. If that doesn't work, I'll buy that Macro replacement kit. Everything "seems" to work great when I'm checking it out... but then something goes wonky occasionally while playing.
There was also a comment about checking how the VUK switch wire makes its way back the the plunger switch and making sure that's a solid connection too... I'll check that out.

#4432 5 years ago

PBJunkie See my pic. I don't have that board w/diode ... but it looks like it was there once because of the screw hole! Interesting.IMG_0091 (resized).jpgIMG_0091 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#4588 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Help please. Shoot T-rex lamp doesn't work. The red/green wire under the playfield is going nowhere after the IDC connector.
What is the location of associated diode?
Thanks![quoted image]

Did you get an answer?

If not, let me know and I'll take a look tonight.

2 months later
#4757 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Finally got around to getting rid of those shit data east “lift handles”. Jp has just the right space to fit these in.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome!

I've thought of doing it myself. Any tips?

Do the real slides require drilling new holes?

7 months later
#6743 4 years ago

Should increase in value...

People will get the JP bug and learn that original JP is awesome for a heck of a lot less.

... Altan

Some may disagree, but it's all speculation at this point.
As of today, Pinside says "Estimated value $2680 - $3120"

#6747 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I see most people asking upper 3's and they don't even have a 3D printed gate or new T-Rex!

My buddies and I agree that the pinside price estimate is quite low.

But we all know it's regional and only works if there is a willing seller and a willing buyer.

3 weeks later
#6885 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You ask, I deliver. I even almost made it to shut-down mode. Forgot to take the glass off, but shouldn't be too big of a bother. Enjoy.

Just watched. It doesn't work for me. The theatrical JP theme is all about wonder, nature, and beauty. It plays during low action scenes that, back in 1993, filled the viewer with awe. IMHO, this is 100% not the experience the JP pin offers (action, speed, mechanical, loud). So not a good match for me.

I am glad that it exists for people that like it.

... Altan

5 months later
#7270 4 years ago

I've gotta say Mr_Tantrum that the closeup of the tongue is gross. But...

It looks great installed!

2 years later
#9227 1 year ago

Perhaps this is timely (or perhaps it's too late!). I installed a LED ColorDMD on my Jurassic Park and documented the steps (or at least my first draft of the steps). While many people have ColorDMD already, this might be interesting to someone who just wants to see the process or someone who wants a little more details than what's included in the official instructions.

https://aaarpinball.com/JurassicPark/JP.htm

Dustwel Perhaps you can use this to check how your cables are installed.

... Altan

#9231 1 year ago
Quoted from AJGross:

With everyone installing a ColorDMD in their pins, it's no wonder they are sold out of them. I was looking at buying one myself.

A little warning about that... IMHO ColorDMD doesn't make this very clear (but I do agree it's not hidden).

If you want a plug-n-play install, you can only get the LED version.

While the LCD version can technically work, it requires modifying your speaker panel and drilling holes in the ColorDMD bracket.

3 weeks later
#9281 1 year ago

When I got my JP, I immediately put the unofficial 6.0 ROM in there. I've not played the official code in a LONG time.

One thing that's a little wonky is the behavior if you hit the super missile right before the ball drains. It ends up showing the animations for the next mode and then immediately ending. Just feels off.

For those of you that have the original ROM, does it have this behavior?

#9297 1 year ago
Quoted from Preacher:

Compare my photos below to one I found on the web:

There's something familiar about that site and picture

Quoted from Preacher:

And it also looks like the eos leaf switch is to short (2nd photo):

I'm having a hard time following the progression of your pictures. However, the 2nd picture appears to show 2 wires connected together and nothing connected to the EOS. If so, then yes... that's not right.

[EDIT: I did some more research and I'm adjusting my text. Old text removed!]

Looking at some info from the classic Clay's guide, it talks about the EOS switch on JP. It exists for a single purpose... If the pin wants the flipper to be up and something causes the flipper to go back down (such as a fast ball from the raptor pit) during this time, the game knows because the switch transitions to closed. It then enables the high voltage to flip back up.

So this hack remove the capability.

3 weeks later
#9358 1 year ago
Quoted from SDX10:

Hey Everyone, my first post on pinside, and soon to be my first pinball machine! I should be picking up my Jurassic Park on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, super excited! I've tried to read some of the pages in this thread, but obviously not all of them. Any tips or tricks for a new pinball owner and a Jurassic Park?
There are two questionable things about this machine that I noticed during my plays at the seller's home. Nothing bad enough that I wouldn't purchase it, of course. First, it has a pretty loud hum that changes in volume and intensity depending on what's on the DMD. I know this is pretty common for Data East machines, but I'll be looking at ways to make this a little quieter. Definitely not as noticable during play with all the other sounds, but fairly noticeable when it's sitting in attract mode between games. I saw this thread has some ideas, including a little device that supposedly helps with the hum/noise (all sold out now I believe, but more to come) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure/page/18#post-6860635
Other fixes for the hum I've read about can be grounding issues, rebuilding/servicing power supplies, and/or adding a separate power supply for the audio board. I'll do more investigating when I have the machine.
The other issue was the ball seemed to want to jump off the wireform ramp (habitrail?) after you hit the gate ramp. It jumped off into the middle of the playfield, and twice at the end. Once it bounced in play across the slingshot, the other time (and far more irritating), it bounced right into the outlane. Anyone have this happen, and any easy fixes? This could be cleared up with leveling and such, so I won't really know for sure until I have the machine at my house. Thanks!

Welcome (almost)!

As you said, the hum is VERY common. It seems you've looked at the thread, so you probably know there are multiple causes... and in some cases, people really improve it and in others it never gets better. You'll need to see what works for your specific pin.

For me, I improved it a lot by adding an external power supply (you can seem my web site for info ... I also posted about it in the "noise ideas" thread) for the sound board. HOWEVER, the hum got worse when I recently added a ColorDMD . I haven't spent any time investigating that yet.

The ball jumping off the wireform isn't uncommon either. IMHO, it is more apt to happen if the game isn't leveled properly or if the playfield has recently been waxed. It could also be occurring because someone put a flipper coil in there that's too powerful, but I don't think I've seen that for anything but WMS games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider altan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club?tu=altan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.