IMG_2307 (resized).jpeg
65CAB543-E774-4E3F-BE43-41A065718418 (resized).jpeg
172457CB-CDD8-4220-83F8-23B672578DD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4931 (resized).jpeg
71ZSWlVWEuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_2207 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

59 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Data East / JP Ball Trough fix (#7) [Video] Posted by ChadH (10 years ago)

Post #98 Jurassic Park Ford Explorer [External Article] Posted by blondetall (10 years ago)

Post #138 Ball not entering gate at pop bumpers Posted by accidental (9 years ago)

Post #159 Creation Of Jurassic Park’s CGI Dinos [Article / Video] Posted by blondetall (9 years ago)

Post #162 Link to Loop Combo Scoop Mod Thread Posted by InfiniteLives (9 years ago)

Post #182 Link to CRT Mod Thead Posted by CraZyMuffin (9 years ago)

Post #209 Custom Apron Cards Posted by Pinballocks (9 years ago)

Post #322 Playfield Back Wood-Block acrylic mod Posted by smerff (9 years ago)

Post #357 Switch Matrix / Random No Target Scoring Bug Posted by ChadH (9 years ago)

Post #374 Link to Shaker Problem Thread Posted by aobrien5 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Renouart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#301 9 years ago

I am still figuring out stuff on my JP, so here is a very basic question. Is the shooter rod supposed to have a rubber tip? Mine came without one, and the rod itself is plastic. I bought a set of replacement rubbers for the game and it came with a shooter tip, but the rod guide is too narrow for the rubber to fit.

#306 9 years ago

Great, thanks for confirmation that what is there is correct.

1 month later
#328 9 years ago

That really does look terrific. Where did you get the image?

#335 9 years ago

Smerff, Matt - That image is there in the back! Clearly needs some lighting.

2 months later
#444 9 years ago

This looks great. I'd love one - what would be the total cost with lights?

1 week later
#451 9 years ago

Question about diodes for ball trough -
I was having intermittent registering of all 6 balls, and now it is always missing one. The problem is clearly one of the microswitches, so I will change it out along with another one that was replaced by a prior owner, but is not quite the right one. I will use new diodes, but I cannot find the diode type for those - can anyone tell me what diode to get? Thanks for your help!

#455 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Renouart said:

Question about diodes for ball trough -
I was having intermittent registering of all 6 balls, and now it is always missing one. The problem is clearly one of the microswitches, so I will change it out along with another one that was replaced by a prior owner, but is not quite the right one. I will use new diodes, but I cannot find the diode type for those - can anyone tell me what diode to get? Thanks for your help!

1n4001

Rock914 - thanks. Looking forward to getting my JP back on line and looking sharp with your acrylic backing.

6 months later
#1094 8 years ago

Hi, what is the new display rom? I thought the new code from Chad was just the cpu.

4 weeks later
#1385 8 years ago

That is the best idea, could be a wire came off, too. But if you do need to buy it, the switch is 500-5442-01, and Marco has it - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5057-00

#1411 8 years ago
Quoted from phollibone:

Thanks all for your help. Now to source a new switch and diode. Is someone able to take a photo of this switch when they get a chance and post it up so I can see how it is supposed to be hooked up?

Below are pix from my JP, and the bunker looks like yours (except for the hot glue!) but the control room does not have a diode and has two additional wires. Mine does work - do you have a couple of loose wires in the vicinity? Or maybe mine is hacked?

bunker switch.JPGbunker switch.JPG
control room switch.JPGcontrol room switch.JPG

#1413 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

My Bunker & Control Room switches BOTH have a diode across the leads.

For the control room, do you have the same three white wires as mine and I am just missing the diode? Maybe this explains why sometimes my control room switch doesn't register the ball. Perhaps, to followup phollibone's request, someone could post yet another picture of this switch? Thanks.

#1416 8 years ago

Wow, thanks. So it is obvious which wires are the hack, but what the heck should I do with them once disconnected from the switch?

#1421 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

That diode connection sees a lot of shock (note my 3 repairs on this joint since 2000). Maybe someone just hung the diode remotely across the 2 extra wires on the outside legs of the switch as a form of shock relief.

markp99 and Pimp77 - you win the prize! I traced it and found exactly what you described. Those two extra wires off the switch go to this connector with the diode. The two wires on the right get buried in the mass of wires that pass by, so not sure how to trace those. Since this uses wires with what appear to be original markings, do you think this might be an original setup and not a hack?

Off_switch_diode.jpgOff_switch_diode.jpg

#1426 8 years ago

Thanks for all this information, glad to know I have the "upgrade".

2 weeks later
#1502 8 years ago

I switched out the yellow saucer on mine for the red from Marco and used a red 2 SMD flex from Comet: 2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS 5050 SUPER FLEX NON-GHOSTING

It is a really bright and intense red, and looks very cool when the pinball is sitting in the lit saucer when it activates tri-ball.

1 month later
#1646 8 years ago

My TREX all of a sudden stopped chomping the ball when it bends down. When it goes through startup diagnostics, the jaw chomps. When I access it through the diagnostics menu, the jaw chomps when I pull the trigger. I thought it might be a switch that is activated when it lowers, but did not see one for chomping in the switch matrix.

I looked underneath, and did not see anything that is obvious, like a hanging wire. Could someone suggest where in particular I would look for the fix? Here is a pix of the mechanism, if that is useful Thanks for your help!

TREX_controls_(resized).JPGTREX_controls_(resized).JPG

#1660 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

This is an issue with your t-rex saucer switch. If the arm is bent such that it's barely making contact when the ball is on it, the game can potentially register that the ball moved out before the t-rex bent down to eat it.

Basically, if the game isn't reading a ball in the saucer the entire time the t-rex is bending down, it won't bite.

FYI: there's not a chomp switch. The game doesn't actually know if the t-rex is biting the ball. It just assumes if the ball is in the saucer and the t-rex down switch is active, it's in the right spot for the jaw coil to be activated until the up switch is hit.

Thanks for info. I tried to bend the switch, and then activate the Rex. Now that I am looking closer at it, what I see is happening is that the head starts to move up then the jaw chomps. I clearly remember it used to chomp before moving back up. The jaw appears to also be open more than it used to be, and now rests on the lip of the wood outside the saucer, not in the saucer. However, I don't think it is stuck on the wood, as I can see in a video I took that the head actually moves up a bit before the jaw closes. Could this be a mechanical issue? What controls how far the jaw opens? Thanks again for your help - I would like to know what I am looking for before I start to take the head apart.

#1662 8 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

It will be a break in the wiring loom that goes to the solenoid from under the playfield, this happened to mine, when he bends over the fractured wire gets stretched and separates. Its a bit of a PITA to replace as you have to strip it down but not difficult.

I am not sure I understand what "wiring loom" means. Is there a specific replacement part to buy? Also, is there a guide for how to disassemble the Rex? Again, thanks for the help.

#1664 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. I have been following the incredible t.rex mod from winteriscoming, and in looking back, I see he posted the installation video which serves as a very clear guide to disassembling it. I will use this to dig in and see what needs to be fixed. Thank you to matt_adams and winteriscoming! I will followup on what I find.

#1666 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

FYI: there's not a chomp switch. The game doesn't actually know if the t-rex is biting the ball. It just assumes if the ball is in the saucer and the t-rex down switch is active, it's in the right spot for the jaw coil to be activated until the up switch is hit.

I now realize the clue was in this comment from winteriscoming. When the down switch gets activated, that is when it chomps. The problem is that this switch was not being activated early enough. Likely due to losing sensitivity in the switch. I tried bending the arm up, but then it was closing too early (both the switch and the jaw). I tried putting a rubber on the metal piece that activates the switch to make it larger and activate the switch earlier, and now it works part of the time. No way around it, just have to replace the switch, which means several days wait. Hopefully this will clear up the problem.

7 months later
#2544 7 years ago

I hope the JP club can help me with this problem - I don't know what to do. I was playing as usual, then the game froze up. So, I shut it off. When I turn it on, the shooter rod solenoid fires once, the GI lights come on, and the shaker motor starts hard then gradually runs out of steam. The DMD, if anything is on it, is a few horizontal lines at the bottom.

In reading http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm, I would guess this is a CPU problem. Looking at the diagnostic LEDs, The PIA and +5V stay on, and the Blanking LED never comes on. The guide diagnostic says: "PIA LED turns ON (and stays on), blanking LED never turns on: EPROM at location 5C and/or 5B is bad." But I have Chad's new code at 5C, so this is not likely the problem. Or is still a possibility?

The techniek site further states: "If the game will still not boot, the most common problem is a dead 6808 (or 6802) CPU at 3D. Either CPU can be used, but the 6808 is largely unavailable (hence the 6802 is used as a replacement). Also a dead 6264 (or 2064C) CMOS RAM at 5D is very common." I have a 6802 at 3D - should I replace this? I have an NVRAM at 5D that I put in last year, and there is no battery damage on the board.

Any other thoughts about how to diagnose or what to check would be greatly appreciated!

#2547 7 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look at both these tomorrow and give an update.

#2562 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Always start with the fuses.

I am finally getting some time to diagnose my ill JP. Taking the above advice, I did find 3 fuses blown -
Power Supply Board: F5 (4A), F1 (7A)
Playfield Power Board (PPB): F9 (4A)

I don't have any 4A fuses, so hope to run out tomorrow to get some (if no luck, can I use 3A ones while I try to diagnose?). But, I see that F9 on the PPB connects to the shaker motor. In case the problem stems from the shaker, how can I take it offline to see if the game runs fine without it?

Looking at the fuses, none are obviously blown, but they certainly do not have continuity. Does anyone have thoughts on how these three blown fuses might be related?

2 weeks later
#2576 7 years ago
Quoted from Renouart:

I am finally getting some time to diagnose my ill JP. Taking the above advice, I did find 3 fuses blown -
Power Supply Board: F5 (4A), F1 (7A)
Playfield Power Board (PPB): F9 (4A)

So, because the shaker was running, I unplugged the feeds to it, replaced the fuses, and turned on the game. No fuses blew on the PPB, but F1 and F2 blew. These are in line with the bridge rectifier BR1, and when I tested, one leg was shorted. So, I replaced BR1.

Now the game boots up and will start a game, so that is a major advance. But it is three steps forward and two back. The flipper buttons are now not controlling the flippers, but the raptor and shooter solenoids. I tested all the fuses again, and now F5 on the PPB is blown. This is in line with the BR1. It is hard for me to imagine that both bridge rectifiers, on the PB and PPB, could go at the same time. When I test with my DMM in diode mode, I get the correct value, about 0.47 on all the legs. HOWEVER, this is regardless of whether I have the red or black lead on the + or - terminals. Same reading with either lead. Does this mean that there are voltage drops on BR1 regardless of the diode direction and it has failed, or is it just acting like a normal diode that cannot be tested in circuit?

If it is not BR1, any thoughts on where the problem might be? Thanks!

#2578 7 years ago
Quoted from Renouart:

If it is not BR1, any thoughts on where the problem might be? Thanks!

I'll move this to a new tech thread.

2 months later
#2886 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Finally remade the plastic behind the upper right flipper. All with a dremel and a printer. I looked for a year for that plastic...

Great job on the replacement! I have the same one broken on mine. Do you a scan of the image you can share? And what type of plastic did you use?

#2889 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

A kind pinsider sent it to me a couple of months ago but I can't find his name. Send me a pm with your email and I will send to you

PM sent - thanks!

3 months later
#3203 7 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

We just ran 200 sets, and half are sold now.

With all these new sets purchased, there must be a similar amount of old sets needing a home (even with the several comments of those holding on to their old set). I don't think I am the first to make this offer, but if anyone is willing to sell some or all of their old set, I specifically need the plastic behind the upper flipper but will buy the entire old set if preferred - please PM me. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Renouart.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club?tu=Renouart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.