IMG_2307 (resized).jpeg
65CAB543-E774-4E3F-BE43-41A065718418 (resized).jpeg
172457CB-CDD8-4220-83F8-23B672578DD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4931 (resized).jpeg
71ZSWlVWEuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_2207 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

59 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Data East / JP Ball Trough fix (#7) [Video] Posted by ChadH (10 years ago)

Post #98 Jurassic Park Ford Explorer [External Article] Posted by blondetall (10 years ago)

Post #138 Ball not entering gate at pop bumpers Posted by accidental (9 years ago)

Post #159 Creation Of Jurassic Park’s CGI Dinos [Article / Video] Posted by blondetall (9 years ago)

Post #162 Link to Loop Combo Scoop Mod Thread Posted by InfiniteLives (9 years ago)

Post #182 Link to CRT Mod Thead Posted by CraZyMuffin (9 years ago)

Post #209 Custom Apron Cards Posted by Pinballocks (9 years ago)

Post #322 Playfield Back Wood-Block acrylic mod Posted by smerff (9 years ago)

Post #357 Switch Matrix / Random No Target Scoring Bug Posted by ChadH (9 years ago)

Post #374 Link to Shaker Problem Thread Posted by aobrien5 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2930 7 years ago

IMG_2366 (resized).JPGIMG_2366 (resized).JPG

Hello club - new member here! My local arcade at the Danbury Fair Mall in Connecticut had a new JP back in '93 which I played often and became a fan, making it a must have for me since I started collecting/repairing nearly 2 years ago.

I have been reading the entire club thread here since bringing home a great example from Free Play Florida last fall, but it is taking forever read it all. I have played with the back box colors a bit, making the logo green. I probably won't keep it that way, but It's fun to play around with LEDs.

You may also notice that my JP is taller than my TAF project. The legs on JP are too long, making it 2 inches taller than standard, and it's actually fun that way. THIS PIN IS T-REX SIZED along with the big DE back box, and fortunately I still have room for the NOS topper I found recently.

My question - When a ball really sails around the ramp, the diverter must be moving a little, and a ball that should go to the right inlane, often gets launched off the ramp, and I'm worried about breaking the ramp or something else with these airballs.

Is it common to replace or upgrade the diverter coil spring or is there another fix? I have inspected the diverter and it appears to be adjusted OK.

Thanks!

1 week later
#2956 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I had issues with that diverter too. I strengthened up the coil spring, and still didn't fix it. What did fix it, was adjusting the diverter a little. It shouldn't be exactly flush with the right lane. Bring it up slightly. After I did that, I haven't had any issues.

I adjusted the diverter up to the point where a slow roller would just get through, but still getting fly offs. I ordered the spring shown in the manual from marco, but the one I received was not as long, so I just doubled them up. The diverter still works, but still getting fly offs.

I just noticed in the manual there is adjustment 33 coil pulse size. I changed that from normal to soft, since my flippers are very strong. (and louder then my other pins) Finally, it looks like the balls are staying on the rail. The lower flippers coils are labeled 090-5020-30 which appear to be correct.

#2960 7 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Here's some photos of my diverter.

Thanks for the photos. I have have my diverter set about the same.

I will stick with the soft coil setting for now which seems fine, and work on more pressing issues.

#2973 7 years ago
Quoted from JP1993:

The left lower flipper sometimes goes "weak"

Check the wires on the end of stop switch on the flipper mech. They may be coming loose.

#2986 7 years ago
Quoted from Time:

back side of this board looks pretty weird. All wavy.

In my experience, some boards just do that, and continue to function with no issues.

#2996 7 years ago

Got an NOS stock topper off Ebay. I notice is has a lip around the back edge, so when I install it, it may lean forward about 10 degrees.

What is the proper way to mount it? Let it lean forward? Put some shims or washers underneath so it is perpendicular with the top of the back box? Use extra shims so it's perfectly vertical?

IMG_2416 (resized).JPGIMG_2416 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3025 7 years ago
Quoted from C65Mustang:

That main large chip

That is a 6808 processor available at Marco or others.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/6808

#3028 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Buy and install out of box.

Correct, and remember the semi circle notch shown on the left end of yours identifies how the chip is oriented, so put the replacement in with the semi circle or notch on the same end.

You can also see the smaller 14 pin chips above it have a similar notch at the end to show the orientation.

#3037 7 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Definitely seems like a controlled dimming at points. Maybe I need to play it more, I could be wrong.

I don't recall dimming, other than turning off/on at the start of multiball and such. More likely the GI connector is failing.

3 weeks later
#3126 7 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

I still have some alt translites available if anyone wants one, as posted in this topic:

Beautiful graphic!

2 weeks later
#3184 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

'm almost blinded with flashing lights when playing JP.

Yes the GI blinks on off brightly together with a flasher when it is waiting for you to plunge the ball. DE Star Wars has even worse GI on/off flashing from what I have seen.

One solution is take some bulbs out the back box to make it a bit dimmer. Another is brighten up the room ambient light to lessen the effect.

#3190 7 years ago

Vinyl Wrap thread. Legs are not too tricky, and take about $15 vinyl for 4 legs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vinyl-wrap-lockdown-bar-rails-etc

1 week later
#3206 7 years ago
Quoted from Time:

Are your machines the same way?

I have a metal post and rubber above the wire guide on both sides.

The lamp sockets should not be hot. Maybe the wires are shorted to each other or to the post? Maybe something is wired wrong or touching another wire giving too much voltage. Measure the voltage at the socket and check the resistance, etc.

4 weeks later
#3229 6 years ago

My JP CN3 is only missing the key pin 6. You would need to review the schematics to see if those pins are are necessary.

IMG_3904 (resized).JPGIMG_3904 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3245 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

is it just me, or does this game have the worst reflection from the backglass and dmd, you have ever seen??

Yup, when I LED-ed my back box, it was too much. Pulled half the LEDs, and the reflection is reasonable now and the back box is fine.

#3249 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Make sure the ROMs are oriented correctly

Meaning the notch on the end of the chip faces the same way, not necessarily the way the label sticker faces.

2 weeks later
#3277 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

Anybody think that Stern may re-run JP as a vault edition?

Not a chance. Expensive license, and there are plenty around with an average price under 3k.

#3280 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Lets also hope jjp gets jurassic world.

The film was released 2yrs ago. I can't imagine there is an unannounced pin on the way, but who knows.

Raw Thrills did very well with their 2015 $13k JP shooting game.

#3282 6 years ago

IMDB says summer of 2018. Nice.

3 weeks later
#3336 6 years ago

Addams Family doesn't have slides or rails. Playfield just hinges up, period. Terrible for access. Had lots of fun replacing the rear leg bolt plates.

So, yeah it could be worse.

1 week later
#3366 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

is there a fuse for just the boat dock ejector coil

I doubt it has a separate fuse. Likely the switch there is not working or maybe one of the coil power wires broke off.

You can start by looking at it, and doing a switch test and coil test in the diagnostics.

1 week later
#3403 6 years ago
Quoted from newmanoconnor:

Does anyone have a Jurassic Park topper they want to sell?

These guys are making them:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1015-rock-custom-pinball/00843-jurassic-park-topper

1 week later
#3478 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Anyone else have an extremely violent shaker?

If you look for shaker motor adjustment on here, you will see how you adjust the angle offset/balance of the two weights to adjust a shaker.

Here is some info:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-shaker-motor-power-adjustment-not-for-how-often-used

1 week later
#3533 6 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

Here is my video with how to upgrade the firmware

Regarding your question about CHAOS mode at 12:30 in the video - it is supposed to end when your multiball ends. Yours continues with only 1 ball left and 0 balls left.

Also it is supposed to launch all 6 balls when you start it by spelling CHAOS (or hitting the smart missile to accomplish that). Do you have 6 balls installed? Are your through switches working?

#3541 6 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

I haven't had to spell CHAOS to start it

When you pressed the smart missile after the first jackpot, that starts it (hits all the chaos letter for you by using it). It should then put all 6 balls in play, which is causing the glitch at the end of the mode, because it does not see 5 drain to end it. That is why JP has 6 balls and it is literally chaos.

Probably with less balls in the trough, this switch is acting up:

Quoted from Chalkey:

I had a similar problem in chaos and I believe it turned out to be the rightmost trough switch.

That switch is a funny one, myself and others have had issues with it.

#3556 6 years ago
Quoted from Darkmithrander:

During diagnostic tests, all coils fire correctly and work great. However when playing, they never trigger upon hit.

Do the switches for the slings and saucer work in switch test?

#3572 6 years ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

It will be fine for a few games, then it will start to not fire. The flipper will move a littel when the button is pressed, but looks like it is struggling and will not actually fire.

The problem is not the flipper switch, it is the end of stop switch mounted on the flipper mech. Probably the wire is coming loose.

2 weeks later
#3635 6 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

My lower right flipper is weak (can not "slam") the control room, it just rolls in, upper right is great.

Wires falling off the End of Stop switch on the flipper mech is the most common cause, or that switch is dirty.

#3638 6 years ago

My JP is extra tall as well!! I assumed the wrong black legs were installed at one point. Am I wrong? Mine are 30" end to end. I just tell everyone the game is T-REX sized.

The topper is about 15" tall, so I imagine it would never work in a short room. I have about 2" clearance in a normal height room.

#3646 6 years ago

It probably ships with batteries installed. Yikes.

#3663 6 years ago
Quoted from Darkmithrander:

Having a problem with a new auto-launcher I have installed. Tested the coil and diode and have a correct reading. Have tested continuity from board to wire and all seems fine. Installed with wires going to correct places (yellow/violet to side A). However, each time I turn on the game, the F8 fuse on the board shorts out. When auto-launcher is unplugged the fuse stays. I can't seem to find the reason for the short. Any ideas?

Maybe when putting the playfield down, the coil touches something. Does it blow with it up?

1 month later
#3712 6 years ago

If you scroll through the 10 pages of JP gallery for this thread, you can see lots of palm tree examples.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/75?gallery#g

2 weeks later
1 week later
#3812 6 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

Took some big ol' beauty shots of my JP:

The T-REX headshot has nice depth. Share it here -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-photography-post-your-best-photos-here

#3828 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

I've always thought that JP was BRUTAL on the left side, come to find out, I have a small little pilot hole in my PF that is directly above the in and out lane with nothing in it. On the right side, I have a "spike" post with no rubber on it.

There are several threads about this and it has been asked several times in this thread with no definitive answer that I can locate right now.

Mine has a pointed metal 'mini post' with no groove for a rubber on the right, and a pointed metal 'mini post' with a groove and ring on the left.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4177

If your post is wobbly, you can put in a mini post with longer threads or repair it with a toothpick and wood glue:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4177-1

1 month later
#4019 6 years ago
Quoted from t2:

New owner of a JP. What colors rubbers look best?

Check the Titan thread gallery. Great examples there, starting with a JP.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-competition-silicone-rings?gallery#g

1 week later
#4075 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Can someone check what this connector runs to?

Yup, I was just writing that it comes from a bridge rectifier mounted on the left.

example pic
http://www.aaarpinball.com/Simpsons/DSC_6144.jpg

#4130 6 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

The head goes down and comes up, while coming up it chops a couple of times.

Just a guess. Sounds like the wire for the jaw coil is broke or loose, causing the jaw coil to malfunction when moving.

#4165 6 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Therefore I have a theory its building a Pops value to be collected somewhere else on the pf?

Pop hits increase park revenue which is collected when hitting the left scoop when it's flashing. (solid lit awards Mr. DNA)

#4175 6 years ago

There are lots of threads and info if you search for 'start button bulb'. Some twist, but most I have worked on pull straight out.

#4179 6 years ago

When is that row of yellow and red rectangle lights below the ramp supposed to light?

When a ball enters the ramp and hits the gate switch there, the game makes a whoosh noise and they all light for a few seconds. Is your switch at the entrance of the ramp working? It should make a whoosh noise and light them, even if the ball only goes part way up.

#4190 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Can anybody grab some quick and dirty measurements of the light shield for the topper?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/82#post-4161300

#4206 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

(Noob alert) Is there supposed to be a red setting button here?

I wish someone had explained the Data East buttons when I got my JP:

Pressing Black with the green button 'in' starts diagnostics.
Pressing Black with the green button 'out' starts Audits and Adjustments.

When in a menu, green in/out sets black button to show next or previous menu item when pressed.

Some higher menu items are not shown unless you loop backwards through the list, or extend list is selected.

Start button is used change the value.

Also I keep a handy list of things I change (had to set mine for tourney mode practice, and won every JP game I played at the South Carolina State Championships)

adjutment 49 attract music on/off
adjustment 4 game awards = credit -> Extra ball -> special
adjustment 46 trex eat balls = Yes
adjustment 6 limit extra balls 3 -> 0
adjustment 41 tournament => EXPO (resets audits)
audit 25 = show # of total plays

#4208 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

how do you adjust volume?

Knob is located inside to the right, on top of the power box. (actually it is the large aluminum shaft of the volume pot sticking up)

#4221 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Enclosed a picture of the jawlink which appears to be OK.
Any suggestions ?

I noticed the hole in the jaw had a lot of play on mine, and maybe some wear, so I looped a small black cable tie through the top of the hole. Made the hole tighter, and got T-Rex back on his normal diet.

#4236 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

It appears that the gearbox has great slack.

I don't think there should be slack. Maybe something is just loose. When centered, mine stays centered.

Quoted from Chalkey:

trex is supposed to move left and right with each chew after eating a ball

Moves while chomping?? I have never seen a JP do that. Check youtube.

3 weeks later
#4283 6 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

Are many people seeing much wear in the center of the playfield? I installed one of those plexi playfield protectors on the machine and I can see from 50 or so games on the machine a bunch of scratches on the playfield protector.

Not really. The most wear is in the shooter lane and scoops, and a bit on the T-REX and boat dock saucer on mine.

Welcome to the club!

#4289 6 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

That probably explains why the playfield shows no wear. It probably wasn't played much and once the fuse clips started breaking nobody knew how to fix it and they just packed it away.

Generally reimports are pretty worn out and have lots of hacked repairs since foreign operators had a harder time getting parts and probably left them on route longer. Nice to hear yours is good.

Years ago, flippers would buy old games overseas and ship them back to resell, often from Europe. (72 pins in a shipping container)

3 weeks later
#4332 6 years ago

Yup, I have adjusted my diverter and bent it to a hook shape to help the ball make it across the wireform, but sometimes they still fall off the beginning of the wireform on mine and head for the right outlane. I have not had the problem where the ball reaches the end of the wireform and then hits the outlane.

Just looking a mine again and noticed that the point where the plastic meets the wireform is not a straight shot. I wonder if I could warm up the lower side of the plastic ramp and bend it in a little??

1 month later
#4381 6 years ago

Found the Matchbox 5 packs at my local target. Make sure to check the isle with all the other Jurassic World toys, not the isle with the Matchbox cars!

#4391 5 years ago

That looks like its behind the ball guide. Why would a rubber be needed?

#4401 5 years ago

They probably used a bunch. The also used the jeeps in Jurassic World.

jurassic-park-jeep-2-885x498 (resized).jpgjurassic-park-jeep-2-885x498 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#4418 5 years ago

I noticed there was a large hole in the jaw where the lever connects to the jaw. I put a small tie wrap through the top of the hole so the lever was tighter in the hole.

#4429 5 years ago

I don't have a diode there, but it appears white/green is for the switch matrix. Any switches not working? Looks like it came from that Z connector. Mine has a white/green wire connected to green/white wire at one end.

IMG_5531 (resized).JPGIMG_5531 (resized).JPG

#4434 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Mine has a white/green wire connected to green/white wire at one end.

fixing my typo - that should say white/green goes to white/green.

#4435 5 years ago

If your a fan of Jurassic Park, check out the new simulation/strategy game - Jurassic World Evolution. I'm pretty occupied with pinball and other PC games, so I just watch the pros play on twitch, but it looks awesome!!

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Jurassic%20World%20Evolution

Highlights --

Take charge of operations on the legendary islands of the Muertes archipelago and bring the wonder, majesty and danger of dinosaurs to life. Build for Science, Entertainment or Security interests in an uncertain world where life always finds a way.

Bioengineer dinosaurs that think, feel and react intelligently to the world around them. Play with life itself to give your dinosaurs unique behaviors, traits and appearances, then contain and profit from them to fund your global search for lost dinosaur DNA.

Control the big picture with deep management tools or go hands-on to confront challenges on the ground or in the air. Expand your islands and choose your own journey in an all-new narrative featuring iconic characters from across the franchise and decades of Jurassic lore at your fingertips.

#4437 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

The one disappointment I have with it is the lack of Driver-less Ford Explorer sight-seeing track.

LOL, that would be cool. You can build a track for the hamster balls from Jurassic World, so the Explorer track should be easy to add or maybe a mod.

Probably an aviary and aquarium DLC in the works.

3 weeks later
#4439 5 years ago

Was helping a friend diagnose a flipper issue on a JP, and wouldn't you know it, mine started acting up when I played later!! That flipper circuit sure is convoluted with the blinking LEDs on the solid state flipper board and the signal running across 4 boards.

Is there a simplified flipper circuit diagram for data east that shows an overview and what signals to expect?

In my case the LED1 for the LR flipper was not blinking and the flipper coil was only getting the hold current when activated. After confirming the wiring at the flipper button switch, EOS switch and coil were OK, the connectors were secure, and the fuses were good, I took some readings, and finally I examined the flipper board. With a lot of searching and close inspection, I found 2 transistors (Q4 and Q?) that had been bumped and pushed over, resulting in poor solder joints that needed repair, and I reflowed the connector headers on the board for good measure and was back in business.

I got a bit sidetracked when taking measurements to troubleshoot, since the signals across the whole board bounce a bit when you fire any flipper, and of coarse pressing the right flipper button also activates the UR flipper, so I finally put a card in the UR flipper switch to keep it from firing when I was checking the LR flipper circuit and started over with the measurements. Others have noted that the flipper board is in a bad position in the cab, and can get bumped, and really clobbered if the playfield gets dropped inside the cab.

1 week later
#4455 5 years ago

Fortunately, if there is any issue with the T-Rex, the software lets you disable side to side movement or disable it entirely so you can enjoy your pin while searching for parts, etc.

#4467 5 years ago
Quoted from Wiggy:

Time for me to join the club officially, yay.
I bought my JP about two years ago and its the machine that got me into this hobby. I had no plans to start buying pinball machines, when I stumbled upon this game. Long story short, the guy asked $600

Welcome to club, you got quite a deal. Seems like my last sweet deal was 2yrs ago as well. I wonder if those good deals are still out there with the growth of pinball and the collector market.

DE made a bunch of JPs, so plenty of us here to coach you along if needed. Watch for any sticky switches in the trough, and make sure the wires are secure on the EOS switches and the control room scoop switch. Those are some of the common issues I have found.

5 krona = 1 speil. Looks like that is a reimport from Sweden. That just adds more to the story.

1 week later
#4489 5 years ago
Quoted from Andyj965:

The only issue i've experienced is on a few occassions the t-rex head hasn't gone back up. But if i restart the game the head operates normally for another 20+ games.

I have not seen that but, try looking under the playfield in that area and make sure the wires are not coming loose from the motor or the sensor. Also look over all the hardware under there for anything coming loose.

3 weeks later
#4506 5 years ago
Quoted from mrpilkington:

I'm just at loss at to where to start. Tested F5 and it is blown. But i know that would generally be a sympton and not what really caused it. I smelled ozone in the backbox. And under playfield. Anyone have any ideas of where I should start?

When things go wrong after you touch something, start the investigation with what your were touching. You had the ball diverter out. Did a wire fall off the coil and touch something? Is the coil mounted in a position where it is now touching something? Are your sure the wires were reattached correctly?

I do not have access to my schematics now. Is F5 for the coil power?

#4508 5 years ago
Quoted from mrpilkington:

Will replace and replace fuse and see if i did any more damage.

Yup, you could test things with that coil disconnected as a first step.

2 months later
#4647 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Here is another variation of the red trim.

The red armor with back coin door / red bezel is brilliant. The red ring about the black screams "DANGER" and really matches the theme.

Red armor with red coin door and red gun is too much and makes me cringe. Most pins, I recomend powder coated armor with a chrome coin door, but the black/red really looks sweet on JP.

Scroll through the gallery of this thread for zillions of options on powder coating -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-powder-coated-machines-here

#4665 5 years ago

I'm not sure of the value of that one, but with some looking you can find a fairly nice JP for ~$2500, so I would pass on one with a bad cab.

Photos of the inside would provide more info.

2 weeks later
#4698 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

15. I have never seen a wire form ramp that has the "side" piece that is seen above the flippers. No big deal and maybe they changed it through the production run but I have never seen that. If you like it then its fine.

Good eye, I never seen that before. I need one of these to keep the ball from flying off on my JP.

1 week later
#4739 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Check out my mod... Can you spot it?

The box in front of the T-REX spotlight with the red lamp and 'shoot t-rex' decals is missing. Looks nice without it. (and spot light hood added)
The T-REX paddock looks chromed, and no decals.
The Raptor shot ball rails and other rails appear chromed also.
The pop caps are detailed with black paint.
Colored post rubbers.

Did I spot it??

3 weeks later
#4787 5 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

however, there are flashers on top of the cabinet with a stainless steel reflection bar that directs the flasher lights towards the topper so that during gameplay the flashers do indeed flash onto the topper.

Actually there are 3 GI bulbs that light the topper, which are lit all the time except when the backbox blinks while waiting to plunge and 2 flashers that fire during play, like shown in the photo above. (Maybe your topper GI bulbs are out?) When the GI blinks while waiting to plunge, you get a great shadow effect on the topper.

The JP at my local arcade in '93 had the topper, so it's the only way to go IMHO.

#4791 5 years ago

Topper light show?

2 weeks later
#4820 5 years ago

DE pins are notorious for speaker hum noise in a quiet environment from the insert lamp and DMD interference. The Pinsound would resolve that.

#4834 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Weird thing with the humming is
When i disconnected my right speaker my hum went away

Same here. I believe the right speaker is the tweeter that best reproduces that high frequency mosquito hum/buzz.

Several posters in the DE hum thread noticed that the hum improved when they upgraded the speakers. I guess the upgraded speakers just don't reproduce that frequency very well or something else less likely is occurring.

Also keep in mind that the DMD itself on DE pins can also buzz quite a bit, and you may have had the DMD unplugged when testing. I think the DMD buzz is due to the flimsy plastic speaker panel compared to the wood speaker panel on B/W pins which I think blocks that buzz better.

1 week later
#4890 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Fellas: what’s the consensus on cliffys for this? My scoop holes are really nice and I wanna preserve them.
Somewhere I read cliffys on jp didn’t work well and caused ball issues.
Anyone?

I don't notice any rejects from the cliffys on my JP.

#4900 5 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I'm trying to join the club. I've been looking for one near me for a few months now. I know prices vary widely based on condition. What's the going rate on a player's condition machine? I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys, and I didn't want to start another price check thread. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Pinside! I see your from Columbia, SC. FYI - There is a fun tournament and league scene there, and in Greenville and Charleston as well, and I usually show up at the tournaments and there are a bunch of other cool folks. Placed 27th in the state last year and 16th the year before, so you can see the scene and talent is growing quickly. (you can check the IFPA calendar for more on that if interested)

Regarding price, a lot of it is being at the right place a the right time. You can see Pinside says $2500-2900. That is assumed a fairly nice condition, fully working pin at a private sale if you can track one down that cheap. A retailer would charge more to cover their overhead, etc. Maybe $3500+. A fully restored JP would be even more.

Players condition (fully working with significant playfield and cabinet wear) I guess would be around 2k or less. It all depends on condition, so beaters are less. Boards or things needing repair or parts missing would make it a project which is the best deal if your handy with tools and a soldering iron.

Someone might say - I dare you to show me a nice JP for 2500-2900, but they made 9008, so deals do come along.

3 weeks later
#5021 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

2. How does the menu work on this thing. The system is not self explanatory like it is on the 4 button Stern/Bally/Williams systems.
3. Is it possible to turn the sound off on the attract mode in this? I have the 6.0 code.

Here are my notes on operating the menu buttons and a list of common settings, such as turning attract sounds on/off:

When in a menu, set the green in or out to go to next or previous menu item when black is pressed.
Some higher menu items are not shown unless you go backwards through the list, or 'extend list' is selected.
Start button is used change the value, then hit next to save.

adjustment 49 attract music = off
adjustment 46 trex eat balls = yes
adjustment 6 limit extra balls 3 = 0
audit 12 expand audits, then audit 25 = show total plays

#5044 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Are there any maintenance items I should be looking for and replacing?

Check the batteries in the backbox for leakage and clean up and replace if necessary.

Does the display show a credit dot? (does it display "free play" or "free play." or "0 Credits." The period there means there is switch not working, etc.)

#5046 5 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I'm in the club! Drove 6 hours round trip last night to grab this one at a pretty decent price. Got home with it at 2:30 AM. A little tired but excited!!

Welcome to the club! Put that piano on Criags List and make room for more.

It looks like the bulbs for your topper are burned out.

#5080 5 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

How is the control room activation supposed to work?

Hitting the power shed scoop in the upper right lights the control room, or when the ball goes down an inlane the control room will blink for a moment.

When the yellow lamp is lit or blinking the control room scoop should start a mode.

That switch can fail and the wires can come loose frequently, and sometimes the ball bounces over it. I have my switch mounted at an angle and bent high enough that it always registers. You can use the switch test mode to try it manually with the ball to verify it works reliably.

#5083 5 years ago

Test it with the PF down. The easy way would be to take the glass off and start a game and you can drop balls in and shoot balls in there and test when lit and confirm a mode always starts. That way the ball will keep kicking out and you can try over and over. Try the switch test as well. You should see the scoop switch blip and then the up kicker switch.

#5150 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Whats the going rate for this Pin these days?

Condition is everything. Yours has some scoop wear, but the area around the flippers looks OK and your pin works, so that would affect the value a little, etc.

Location also plays a factor, and if a store or dealer is selling it with a warranty, they would charge a premium.

LED's, Topper, Color DMD, etc, add some value.

I consider the Pinside price a rough guide for a good condition, working pin at a private sale such as $3000 or a little more.

#5206 5 years ago

Also, if picking up glass at a show is not an option for various reasons, Pinball Life charges $100 for 2 sheets inc. shipping to your door.

#5237 5 years ago

Rumors are circling that Stern will be making a Jurassic World pin this year. Start making space.

I think when a sequel title comes out, it stirs interest in the predecessor, so I guess JP prices will climb further.

#5270 5 years ago

5) Trough coil wiring ….

IMG_6968 (resized).jpgIMG_6968 (resized).jpg

IMG_6969 (resized).jpgIMG_6969 (resized).jpg

Here's another knocker pic. The knocker in JP sounds anemic! The backbox might sound better.

IMG_6967 (resized).jpgIMG_6967 (resized).jpg

#5276 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Do other people have the support bracket back away from the pf edge like that?

The photos here and online show the 2 service supports posts in the same position as mine on most JP, but some don't have them. They are handy to rest the PF before giving the big shove to get over the bumps that resist sliding it back.

2 weeks later
#5429 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

T rex goes down to get the ball but his jaw clench to grab the ball seems to be delayed and only go off as he is already going back up and therefore not grabbing the ball.

Maybe one of the wires for the jaw coil has broke where it bends. You can take the cover off his head/back to see the jaw coil on his back.

You can also manually tilt him forward in test mode and use the trigger to test the jaw while wiggling the wires.

#5442 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Hey guys can i ask how you can get into the t rex diagnostica mode ?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/101#post-4826265

#5474 5 years ago
Quoted from TommyNYC:

Found a 5 pack of 5amp fuses for 1.98 in HD bought 3 packs and switched out the rest of the F spots with freshies

Fresh fuses are not necessary, but no harm.

4 weeks later
#5774 5 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

When the ball exits the pop bumpers, after the initial plunge, it often drains straight down the middle.

Pops are intended to be random and dangerous, so be ready to nudge. That being said, mine don't often do that. Is your pin level?

#5800 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

None of them helped me save at all. Its for those who are already wasteful. For me though. I eat out way too much for lunch. Its just not fun staying in to eat.

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?

Keep on stimulating the local economy.

1 week later
#5912 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

So what is wrong with the repop ones for $150?? Just curious as I have an original already

I got a repop off Ebay a few years ago and it looks perfect IMHO. I love that original style JP topper look.

1 month later
#6317 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I am trying to find a suitable match

You could take it to the craft store to find something, but just thinking about what is around the house. That looks similar to bike inner tube if you have something like that around to try.

2 weeks later
#6509 4 years ago
Quoted from bigcat68:

I've come to the forum to ask for advise on diagnosing a few issues on my JP.
Several different problems, but all light related.
First one:
- At the feed T-Rex apron lights. When a game is started the top T bulb is not lit and the others, R-E-X bulbs are flashing. This should be opposite with the T bulb flashing and the R-E-X bulbs off until the proper shots are made to spell T-REX during gameplay.
Second:
-when game starts all the red & green targets on playfield are lit up. On about half of them, when they get hit, the bulb insert below dims and the light can be still seen in the insert flashing. The insert light should be off completely to show that shot was made.
Third:
The green & yellow power shed scoop lights are constantly flashing throughout gameplay. They should coordinate with the rules and light up according to when the scoop shot should be made.
Any advice would be appreciated on how to tackle these issues.
I've been watching the lights during gameplay, when a shot is hit and they are supposed to be off the light is still on and flashing. There seems to be added voltage to several bulb sockets throughout the playfield. Maybe bad diodes/resistors on the sockets?

Sounds like all those issues are related. Something with the lamp matrix.

Are CN6 and CN7 connected correctly to the CPU board?

If you run that lamp tests shown on page 28 of the manual, do you see anything that makes sense, like some certain rows or columns working wrong in the individual lamp test?

2 weeks later
#6629 4 years ago
Quoted from jugood20:

I am experiencing a ball trough issue and was hoping someone could give me some advice

That question comes up about once a year. The switch in the video gets stiff.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-ball-trough-fix-video-jplahtftctommywwfrrgnr

#6679 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

he said it's going to be designed buy the guy who did Medieval Madness

Yes, Brian Eddy, the designer of MM and AFM was hired by Stern. (George Gomez announced that at TPF.)

We are due for a game from him or Keith Elwin next.

Stern has announced they will reveal something this weekend at ComiCon. Everything else is rumor.

#6684 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

tern JP:
-2 very simple cheap ramps
-T-rex on a spring, they call it "toy"
-Photoshop playfield
-Everything at the back, nothing really to shot at lower playfield

In case you didn't see the new thread. Sterns big ComiCon is announcement is they are making a home version of Star Wars.

#6706 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Loop scoop combo mod......one of them is Terrible......the gap between the bulbs and the clear plastic is huge!!!!

Do you have the bunker (pyramid) on the left, and computer on the right?

Mine fit fine.

#6744 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

As of today, Pinside says "Estimated value $2680 - $3120"

That price is quite low IMHO. Hard to find a fully working, good condition DE JP for that.

Quoted from JohnJN:

Am I wrong? Is anyone thinking of buying this thing?

Can't answer until I have played it.

#6766 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Kinda curious who they hired to do the animations. Compared to Aerosmith, this one blows it away.

I listened to the interview last month, but what I recall Gomez asked industry long time game animator Chuck Ernst, for advice building the team to do their graphics, and ended up hiring Chuck to build the team at Stern.

https://player.fm/series/special-when-lit-pinball-podcast/episode-57-chuck-ernst-stern-pinball

When asked about the animation during the stream, Kieth listed about 10 names that worked on JP.

2 weeks later
#6804 4 years ago

Not sure this club needs to be renamed. All the members can find it easily just looking at their 'topics in which you posted' as your Pinside start page. That's where I start when opening Pinside.

Sterns JP should be noted as JP2 in the forums since it is a big tribute to our JP:

Similar playfield art
Smart Missile
Feed T-REX hurryup
Spelling C-H-A-O-S
T-REX eating the ball
Raptor Pit shot
Escape shot
similar 3-flipper layout
East Dock
Visitors Center
Helipad
Rescue
Control Room
System Boot
MR DNA
Raptor multiball

Added over 5 years ago:

Helicopter arrives when you press start.
Yellow logo pop bumper caps.

1 week later
#6897 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You ask, I deliver. I even almost made it to shut-down mode. Forgot to take the glass off, but shouldn't be too big of a bother. Enjoy.

Great looking JP! The jeep blocks the view of the upper flipper a little, so that's not for me. It's fun watching the color DMD. I never noticed the Spitter Attack mode [at 3:00] had the animation of the Dilophosaurus spitting at Nedry. They got the spitter sound right in the Pinsound version. So cool!

#6901 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm wondering how my pop bumper action is compared to others.

Those are more active than stock. Definitely get the ball moving.

#6918 4 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Finaly had the time to install Mr Tantrum's target decals.
Great product, i already have his door decal and he was realy great making me apron decals with cutouts for the lightbulbs.
Some pics

Those are great pics. You should post a few in the pinball photography thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-photography-post-your-best-photos-here

1 month later
#7068 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I had an opportunity to play the new Stern Jurassic Park LE yesterday,

My local pinball museum got an LE and I spent most of yesterday playing it also. I know JP2 is well received overall, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes, so we each have to try it for ourselves.

The T-REX head moves fairly smoothly and looks pretty cool. It is kind of snake like and creepy. I think they did a good job with it. I love when he swings over and drops the ball on the wireform ramp. The angle you view the head from is sort of top down which is not optimum. When you shoot the ball in to his mouth I think a magnet grabs it, so as long as the ball makes it up in to his mouth, it does not reject. Unfortunately this LE was having issues with the lower right flipper yesterday and getting it up in to his mouth and making the ramp shot was harder than it should have been. The flipper was a little week and would droop a little when holding it up to catch a ball, so it needed repair, and the owner of the museum was not around. One other issue I noticed with this LE was the left fence post was leaning on the T-REX and would rock left/right when the T-REX moved, so something was loose there. Hate seeing a new pin with issues, but that's pinball.

That being said, the pin was fun to shoot. From my play, and watching the streams, I noticed the upper right flipper could be dangerous. When trying to repeat the loop, and missing a fast moving loop shot, the ball often came back diagonally and headed for the outlanes. If the ball is going too fast, hold the flipper up and the ball will hit the target there and bounce back to the flipper for a more safe and controlled upper flipper shot.

The toys were fun to shoot. The truck/newton ball was fun to flip back and forth. The motorized door in front of the raptor pit was fun to hit and knock the locked ball around in there. The spinner is fun. Dialing in all the shots to spell CHAOS is tricky, and hitting the "amber" shot up through the pops was satisfying to start CHAOS. The light show was also well done. There was a ton of stuff going on with the rules that I was not yet familiar with, so it seems like there is plenty to do if you had this in a home environment. The CGI graphics on the display were decent, so Stern is making progress there. The sound package seemed fine for as much as I could hear. I really love the 'spitter dino' spinner sound, which is probably the best spinner sound in any pin yet!

The mirrored backglass is REALLY nice, but the cartoony truck they added does not fit the artwork IMHO. I think a beat up generic vehicle would have been much cooler.

MORE THIS:
This (resized).jpgThis (resized).jpg

LESS THIS:
not this (resized).jpgnot this (resized).jpg

Anyway, its a pinball machine and not a truck documentary, so who cares. My overall take on the pin is that I like it (which I don't often say about new pins) and it does not diminish the fun I have with my Data East JP. I don't have any plans or space to get a new pin, but If I were in the market, it would be between this and Wonka LE which is also fun to shoot.

1 week later
#7078 4 years ago

You have to bend the mounting wire so the plastic sits in front of the 2 bulbs. Also note how mine is attached. The mounting wire goes between the bracket for the 2 bulbs and wires and nut there. (your wire is routed on the wrong side of the wire and nut)

IMG_7517 (resized).jpgIMG_7517 (resized).jpg

#7080 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Very helpful, I appreciate the help. Seems my version of this mod might be different, the wire seems to be of different length / bend

Also make sure your putting the correct one in the correct spot.

1 month later
#7146 4 years ago
Quoted from jugood20:

I am having an issue sometimes during six ball multiball, if all six balls are in play and if more than three of the balls drain all at once, the ball trough won’t feed the shooter lane. It sounds like the shooter lane is trying to “shoot” the ball, but the ball trough isn’t feeding the ball to the shooter lane. I’ve talked to a couple of my pinball friends and they seem to think it is because of the ball trough divots.

You have this issue:

3 weeks later
#7162 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikew492:

I’ve started to research switch matrix and what’s really interesting is that there are three switches that fail in diagnostics and they are all next to each other in the same matrix row. I wonder if it’s a faulty diode or wiring between these three switches. Row 8, number 24, 32, and 40.

Likely a problem with the wire that goes to that row: Gray with white dots.

Probably came loose from one switch which makes the rest down the line not work also. Follow the wire and check it, starting at those switches.

#7166 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Its a coil not a switch so I don't need to check the switch matrix.

There is a switch in the shooter lane. If the ball is not detected on that switch, it may not auto plunge.

#7168 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Even during the coil test?

No, if it does not operate during the coil test, its not the switch.

#7170 4 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

That's what I thought. I'm starting to think it the transistor on the PPB

I have never worked on that, but I enjoy electronics. It appears it is driven by Q5 which gets its signal from D3.

Also, do you have the 50v at the coil?

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#7175 4 years ago

Why is my game skipping past a bunch of settings in the adjustments? Im trying to turn free play off, which is adjustment 30, and my game goes from 19 to 99. But when I go backwards its there. W t f

That's normal to make it faster. You can also turn on 'extended list'.

Here are my notes on the goofy DE 3 menu buttons:

When in a menu, set the green in or out to go to next or previous menu item when black is pressed.
Some higher menu items are not shown unless you go backwards through the list, or 'extend list' is selected.
Start button is used to change the value, then hit next to save.

1 week later
#7212 4 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

The bigger problem (amongst many) is that now I have this music sound (T-Rex Stomp) that comes on at the beginning and will NOT STOP. It repeats, UNTIL - I hit the start game button - once that happens, it joyfully reminds me that I am "missing 6 balls"

It sounds like there are a few things going on, so concentrate on things that cause multiple issues. Start with the easy stuff: Check the fuses and reseat the ribbon cables in the backbox.

Are there 6 balls in the trough or is one in the subway, etc?

If you enter the diagnostics, are there any messages?

#7229 4 years ago
Quoted from Turdbol:

maybe one of the fuses needed to be reseated, or if this is a fluke,

A fuse can be loose or maybe the fuse holder is not making a good connection to the board. It could also be an intermittent connection somewhere. If the issues returns, start again checking for the voltage at the coil.

1 week later
#7243 4 years ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

We turned it on and all lights were lighting, the display was off, the pin was not starting his program.
After about one minute, the display turned slowly on and the pin started to make the test with the dyno.
Finished the test, I started the game pushing the start button but no sound was playing.
After 1/2 minute the voice started to play and after some seconds the music too.
It seems the pin works right only when.it is "warm".

That is weird! Are the batteries in the backbox leaking and causing some CPU issue?

1 week later
#7252 4 years ago
Quoted from jurassicpark93:

By the way, the speakers are 100% original, they just have a different logo because this pinball is one of the last machines made "end of series", it is very rare... but honestly, I prefer the original logo yellow and red... I need to find someone interested to mod his JP and do a swap

Your English is fine. Welcome to the JP club!

Is that logo painted on or is that a sticker? How do you know it is end of series? Is anything else different with your JP?

Many times there are prototype 'first' versions that are different from the standard production version of a pinball machine, but I am not aware of a special final version of JP.

#7282 4 years ago

nm

#7290 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

I realigned my flipper angle on my lower-left-flipper two days ago and suddenly the flipper will stop working all together at random.
If I physically move the flipper up while holding the left button it will eventually engage and play a few more rounds but will eventually die again and not respond. When I do hold the button the flipper is definitely getting power and if I physically move it up it will stay up and the hold in the up position is strong.

Make sure the flipper coil wires are secure on the coil, not cracked a little. Same goes for the wires on the End of Stop (EOS) switch there, make sure the wires are secure, and also make sure the EOS switch contacts are clean.

#7336 4 years ago
Quoted from peteyhugs:

I pulled the batteries while the machined was powered off. Is it difficult to set it back to Free Play?

FYI - Here are my notes on adjustment and some settings I sometimes use...

adjustment 30 Free Play

#7337 4 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

I too have been debating the sticker route or finding a mod like the ones pictured earlier, but the purist in me never reached out to the guy to ask if he could do the JP dinos lol.

If you like craft projects with the family, print out the photo to scale, cut out the dino shape for a little stencil, then remove and paint the metal screen using the sencil. (flip it over for the left side)

speaker (resized).jpgspeaker (resized).jpg

#7351 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

I turn it on does it matter which black wires you have going to pins 6 and 3? Can they go either way?

Appears both are ground coming from the same spot on the PS. You could further check by measuring the resistance between the 2 wires, they should be a zero ohm short it they are the 2 wires shown here in the schematic.

CN2 (resized).jpgCN2 (resized).jpg

#7369 4 years ago

Yup, it appears that the programmers did not fully utilize the 5 difficulty settings in JP, only default vs hard/extra hard which only force those 3 settings. There may be more utilization in subsequent ROM versions.

Also, the ChadH custom JP ROM further utilizes the difficulty settings if I understand correctly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-rules

#7376 4 years ago
Quoted from ZAuxier:

Just came across a thread referencing the "Data East Hum". Guessing this is what I'm hearing?

You can install an add-on DC power supply for the sound board to eliminate the speaker hum.

I have noticed my JP DMD is also noisy, making a ringing noise when bright graphics are displayed, which is a second source of hum.

2 weeks later
#7434 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

my shaker is loud and too strong imo.

You can easily add an inexpensive motor speed controller to a shaker if needed, and make your shaker power adjustable.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor#post-3051780

#7442 4 years ago
Quoted from freshjive:

Any one have any ideas on this?
Thanks

If you go in to diagnostics and select the switch test, and just let it sit for an hour, does anything happen? Do you see other switches randomly firing? If any switches fire, I believe you will hear a beep (take off the glass and press a switch to try it), so you can do other things while waiting to see if you hear any beeps while it is sitting, it should also show what switch fired last if it does beep.

#7446 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

At the time I thought $1800 was too much to spend on a pinball machine.

It is! We just don't know better. Welcome to the club!

#7448 4 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Another Happy mr_tantrum customer!

I see your control room cliffy is curling up in the right side like mine. I figured the previous owner was cleaning and caught the rag on the back of the cliffy and bent it up, but maybe they just deform that way because the scoop hole is a little worn?

#7461 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
If I start Tri-Ball and am about to drain to 1 ball, I will try to hit the smart missle to begin CHAOS.
If I hit the button too late, the game tries to start Tri-Ball again (presumably with 2 balls) as the smart missle would have activated the Tri-Ball restart. However my game only plays the animation and says TRI BALL! The game does not put an additional ball into play and multiball never starts.
I’ve had this happen a few times now. I’m running ChadH 6.0 code. I am unsure if it’s a code issue with that version, all versions, or something else (maybe trough switch related?)

Sounds like a trough issue. If it thinks you drained 2 balls and are out of MB, and then you press the smart missile button, it acts like you hit the "raptor shot or TREX saucer to restart MB" and not advance to CHAOS.

#7463 4 years ago
Quoted from ZAuxier:

I tried cleaning the contacts on the pop bumper a bit, but am wondering if this needs a full rebuild?

clean the dust out of the spoon part too.

#7465 4 years ago
Quoted from ZAuxier:

Interesting, never really considered that? I have some compressed air, should I spray it under the skirt on top of the playfield, or below?

I would wipe it clean from the underside with a q-tip or remove the switch from underneath.

Spoon info here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers#post-486004

#7469 4 years ago
Quoted from Zarklin:

but when i have the playfgield down and go through the tests only the top position activates both on the dmd

Remember switch matrix / diode issues can be related to a combo of switches, row+column. So when when the balls are in the trough, that may change the behavior your seeing.

#7498 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

You may have to replace the jaw frame and/or link assembly to get it tightened up depending on the wear you have.

In my case, the hole in the jaw were the link connects appeared worn. I looped a small black tie wrap through the top of the hole to remove the slop, and get TREX back on his normal diet.

#7502 4 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

How did you guys get the bottom jaw off?

You can see the screw 38 holding on the jaw 37. The back of the TREX is also 1 screw.

trex parts list (resized).jpgtrex parts list (resized).jpg

2 months later
#7808 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Can someone shoot a pic of the servicec switches? Is there 2 or 3? Never had a de oin before, trying to set game on free play.

My full notes -

some common settings -

adjustment 30 Free Play

2 weeks later
#7899 3 years ago
Quoted from Crafty:

Thx for the speedy reply, unfortunately it can't be looking for a ball as they fire off even during gameplay. Having said that I will check this regardless.

OK, you have relays firing, not coils. Relays are typically controlled by data from the CPU. Which relays are clicking?

#7906 3 years ago
Quoted from Crafty:

It is definitely the coils

Simple Test - Does the bonus add up when the ball drains?? If not, the issue is the first switch in the drain.

#7927 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

Outta curiosity, are there any other adjustments people like to change on their own games?

I always note those I touch and keep a list in case the batteries die, I can quickly get things set again.

adjustment 30 Free Play
audit 25 Show number of total plays

#7931 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Latest version of sign, might have something else planned when I get caught up.

There may be a market with the JP2 owners. I recently saw one with the Data East topper installed. I guess not all owners are excited about the $600 factory topper from Stern.

#7943 3 years ago

Here is a problem I just had with my Jurassic Park, I figured I would share here to help others:

Turned on the power and only had GI lights, and noted a slight acrid smell, so I turned it off quickly.

Checked the voltages on the power supply board in the backbox at the test points and found the 5vdc was ~2vdc, and noted whenever the power was on, I could smell the acrid smell in the backbox so I only left it on briefly to take measurements. (also the +12vdc was a little low, which makes sense, since the +12 is used in the 5v circuit)

I made some colored highlights on power supply drawing to follow what goes where.
Orange is the AC input.
Pink is the -12v rectifier output
Green is the +12v rectifier output
Blue is the output of the 5v regulator (IC1)
Red is the output of the 5v driver (TR5) after the regulator which is supplied by the +12v.
Purple was a mark I made next to each cap after checking it with my ESR meter.

Checking online, it was reported that a bad C2 will affect the 5v, but my C2 was previously replaced and tested good.

power supply 3 (resized).pngpower supply 3 (resized).png

After confirming the Power supply board appeared good, I checked the 5v with the output cables CN5 and then CN6 unplugged and found the 5v was normal with CN6 unplugged which is CN17 at the CPU board. Likewise with CN6 connected and CN17 unplugged from the CPU board, the 5v was Ok.

With all cables disconnected from the CPU board it still loaded down the 5v when CN17 was connected, so the problem appeared to be on the CPU board.

There is only one electrolytic cap on the CPU board, C157, and the acrid smell appeared to be from that area. C157 tested OK with my ESR meter but when I removed it, I could see it was burned on the under side, and it smelled burned.

Replaced C157: 25v 470uF, and now the 5v measures 4.8v which I read is a typical value and everything is working with no issues. Back to C.H.A.O.S. as usual.

1 week later
#7958 3 years ago
Quoted from 03whtlightning:

Six out of ten times, my JP is kicking the ball out of the bunker RDTFM. It’s driving me nuts! Has anyone ever encountered this? If so, what did you do to fix it? Just for clarification, I’m kind of new to pinball. Any help is appreciated.

Lift up the playfield and confirm the mechanism is securely mounted to the playfield and make the sure the coil there that kicks the ball feels secure as well and no screws loose or missing.

Post back if you need info on how to lift the playfield.

3 weeks later
#8023 3 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Is the T-Rex's head hard to work on

Check the parts list in the service manual. You will see the covers are easy to remove for repair.

#8038 3 years ago
Quoted from kezzybear82:

The lights come on but it doenst boot up

Yup, power supply or other board loading down power supply. Here is an example of that with some details about the power supply board:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/159#post-5728513

#8051 3 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Wpuld it have killed something if I had been put in backwards at first?

I doubt making a mistake with the ROM would damage something specific with TREX moving. It sounds like other functions are working like DMD, etc.

Is TREX set in exactly in the center position? If the center switch is not pressed, it won't try to go up/down.

1 week later
#8086 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

And, most importantly, where do these two wires go?

I can see one is WHT-GRN which is row 5 of the switch matrix. Check the switches listed for row 5.

Any switches not working in that row? Remember the wires chain along, so a secondary wire falling off one switch would affect the next switches in line. The center scoop is there. Maybe it fell off that? (that switch takes a beating and the wires and diode often loosen up there)

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

1 week later
#8150 3 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Ideas on where I start to look?

You will probably get some good suggestions in the color DMD specific tread.

#8154 3 years ago

I get a bit of clunky feel because the orbit is not smooth. The ball clunks around there.

It is not too similar to RS or BR so it will fit in. It is a '90s pin, so the rules are similar, modes and multiballs. JP was a must have for me since I enjoyed it back in my local arcade in '93.

There is something to be said for owning pins from different eras. I enjoy owning one classic, and DMDs from 1992 to 2013.

1 week later
#8178 3 years ago
Quoted from robnotto:

Thoughts? Is this indicative of a bad switch? Fairly new at this and learning. Looking for places to start diagnosing.

It is detecting the ball went in the drain for some reason.

Did you check the switches in the drain? Probably something as simple as a loose wire on the left switch in the trough or wire shorted to something there.

You mentioned you did switch test. Did you see a trough switch activate when you tested the ramp switch? Any trough switches activate when you knock on that area or wiggle the trough wires?

#8181 3 years ago
Quoted from robnotto:

Did a complete switch test again

You keep saying you did a switch test. What exactly did you do and what did you see? (want to make sure we are not missing something)

Go to diagnostics - switch test, and it will display "none". Then press a ramp switch, what do you see? One switch activate or multiple? (Normally it will make 1 boom noise and display the name of that 1 switch for a moment.)

#8185 3 years ago
Quoted from robnotto:

When I trigger the right ramp enter, it is the only switch to show it was been activated.

There is a second switch on that ramp at the top, so check that also. Remember also, to knock on the playfield and see if any switches are activated.

As well, there is a coil controlled diverter on the ramp. I wonder if that could be related. When playing, is there any correlation to the ball going to the right inlane, and getting the drain issue?

1 week later
#8233 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

And what should I change to make JP more of a challenge?

Confirm the playfield angle is 6.5deg. Adjustment 6, set extra balls to zero. Confirm your flippers bands are rubber and not supper bands.

#8241 3 years ago

Which tournament mode should I use? I tried EXPO but it erased all high scores. Do they all do that?

They all do that. I use Expo.

---------------------------------

Adj. 41 Tournament Style- Set to NONE, PINBALL EXPO, IFPA-PAPA or HOME. This function determines the
default conditions to quickly prepare a game for tournament play. When this setting is changed all audits will be
reset and all adjustments will be initiated to the particular style selected. The game will then return to game over
attract mode, as if a Factory Restore had been performed.
NONE - Same as a Factory Reset conditions.
IFPA-PAPA- Straight 50¢ play, no replay, no Extra Ball, no High Scores, 2 Tilt Warnings and No Match.
PINBALL EXPO- Same as IFPA-PAPA settings except Free Play is enabled.
HOME-Sets game for Free Play, extra ball play, no replay, 10% Match and Extra Ball percentage= 30%.

#8243 3 years ago

Do you get an EB for something other than replay or mode?

In Expo mode, I only recall 10mil points for completing the EB mode.

#8253 3 years ago

I wonder if adjusting the T-REX assembly under the playfield where it mounts will help him aim for the ball better. (just a wild guess)

Also, the T-REX jaw has a hole in the side where the shaft that closes the jaw hooks on. The hole there was worn on mine, so I put a small tie wrap through and around the top of the hole, so the jaw could close tighter and reliably swallow the ball.

2 months later
#8414 3 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Went to wrap up the LED job on this today and I just can't get the backbox to not glare like a SOB.

When you LED the backbox, leave half the sockets empty to get the brightness down to a reasonable glare level. Remove some more if the glare is still to much. That worked fine for me, and the backbox is still plenty bright and the illumination looks even.

2 weeks later
#8464 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I suspect a power supply issue but i am open to any advice you guys might have.

Here are the notes I made when checking my DC power issue with notations on the PS board schematic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/159#post-5728513

#8469 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Sadly, both my 5v and 12 v are where they were prior to this failure. I removed the PS and it has been repaired in the past but nothing looks bad.

Sorry, I don't follow. On the PS board there are test points: TP1 5v, TP3 +12v, TP4 -12v. Do those measure OK with the cables all connected?

2 weeks later
#8497 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

check out my new Caution Posts!

I imagining rainbow stripped posts on WoZ and Wonka.

#8502 3 years ago

There is audit "46 freeze used - Skill", and "47 freeze used - Raptor". Remember, JP says "freeze" when a ball save occurs.

The manual says that audit shows the total number skill shot ball saves and the other is the total number of raptor pit kickout ball saves.

(page16)
https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-pinball/J/Jurassic_Park_OPS.pdf

2 weeks later
#8532 3 years ago
Quoted from ZAuxier:

They're aligned to the holes, just like last time, but it's definitely not as easy to catch the ball like it has been in the past.

With the new coil stops that are not warn down, the distance the flipper travels will be less, so they stop a bit lower. No harm in adjusting the flippers up a bit if you want.

1 week later
#8547 3 years ago

Has anyone replaced the outlane posts with star posts?

Is this cheating ?
I find the outlanes on Jp very upsetting

Yup, sounds like cheating. Have never seen a star post there but it seems like it would block the ball 100%.

When the ball gets near the top of the slings, nudge forward to keep the ball out of the inlane/outlane area.

#8555 3 years ago

OK, I see your are talking about the post above the outlane. I was spacing out and thinking about the unique post that goes above the inlane guide. Here is my left outlane:

IMG_9210 (resized).jpgIMG_9210 (resized).jpg

There is a slot there to move the post up and down to change the outlane gap. Also, I have the included optional metal post and o-ring installed at the inlane guide rail. (right side just has a metal post with no o-ring groove in that spot)

Other things you can do to change the difficulty:
Adjust playfield pitch. 6.5deg is recommended, but setting it closer to 6deg will make the game play easier.
Installing Supperbands on the flipper bats will make the game play easier. (less bouncy than rubber or silicone)
Changing settings like ballsave time, etc.

1 week later
#8565 3 years ago

Thanks for that! I use service pos. 3 and keep looking at it and thinking there is no way that bungee will reach.

3 months later
1 month later
#8891 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Turn it all off. Find F5 blown. Replaced. Nothing changed.

F5 on which board? Did F5 blow again?

Sure sounds like a power problem. Here is an example of a power problem I had and some places to check:

#8893 2 years ago

Power supply F5 is labeled solenoid 34VDC for bumbers, slingshots, etc. That is the power supplied to one of the lugs of each of those coils, and the driver grounds out the other lug to energize the coil.

Maybe some lamp wire or switch wire touched a coil lug under the playfield which blew the coil fuse and did some other damage to the cpu board?

If you look under the playfiled, do all the coil wires look ok and any switch or lamp wires touching a coil lug?

#8895 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

At this point should I just send some boards our for repair?

What LEDs are lit on your CPU? There are 3 in the center, mine the center and left are lit.

We are starting to get in to deeper water, but maybe someone else has some experience.

edit - cover up those bare wires before checking!

1 month later
#8939 2 years ago

This happened to me again! The raptor pit coil started cooking everything around it. So replacing that transistor and everything downstream seems to result in the issue happening again eventually. I'm guessing I probably need to focus on something upstream. I may save some money putting a freaking fuse in this coil...

On the coil there is a power wire and a control wire from the transistor. If the control wire has a short to ground somewhere, the coil will lock on, so make sure that is not grounded out.

#8940 2 years ago

In case you missed the Banning Pinball Hall of Fame auction results. Most the pins were in OK/average condition and most Data East titles went for ~8k. It seemed that many rubes wanted something with a movie license attached.

JP hammer price was $8300, which is $10400 with fees and tax.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#8946 2 years ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

That's the market

Any buyer doing their due diligence would disagree. 5 seconds of googling turn up a beautiful example here for sale with clear photos and nowhere near the MOP auction price of $9800 before tax.

https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/jurassic-park-pinball-machine/

2 weeks later
#8955 2 years ago
Quoted from weasel671:

What parts should I look at replacing?

Start with checking over the mech, cleaning it up and replacing the coil sleeve.

1 month later
#8981 2 years ago
Quoted from softail:

BUT, the bulb is not the problem, cause it lights during attract mode

Maybe the bulb or socket or wire is loose and just working intermittently. Maybe something in the lamp matrix is making it not work in combination with another lamp. Does is work OK in lamp test mode, even when knocking on the playfield?

#8987 2 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Found also 2 wires with connectors in the cabinet on the right side

Good news - those 2 connectors are not used. Stuck my phone in the coin door and took this pic:

IMG_0329 (resized).jpgIMG_0329 (resized).jpg

#8991 2 years ago

Also you can turn off the T-REX while working on other issues.

adjustment 46: trex eat balls = yes/no

2 weeks later
#9009 2 years ago

I took a quick pic, but it looks like someone already posted it. It appears the wires are from that insert lamp. (red with gray/purple/blue all look very similar)

IMG_0439 (resized).jpgIMG_0439 (resized).jpg

#9012 2 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

Does anybody have a clear schematics for the power supply board?

This part?

#9017 2 years ago

I didn't realize that most backbox cables were color codded. Circle the areas of interest and myself or someone can take some closeup photos.

ps (resized).jpgps (resized).jpg

#9021 2 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

One question about the 2 orange wires in CN1.

Do I need to respect an order or is it possible to swap it on both pins?

Looks like, orange pins 2 and 3 go to the same point at the rectifier output, so no need to swap.

rectifier (resized).jpgrectifier (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#9071 2 years ago

Here is a clearer photo.

IMG_0543 (resized).jpgIMG_0543 (resized).jpg

Your CN1 got hot, so keep an eye on that.

c1 (resized).jpgc1 (resized).jpg

#9078 2 years ago
Quoted from Michele_Caletti:

it's the only switch in the whole machine that has not a diode across

I believe the diode is mounted off to the side since that switch gets a lot of vibration/impacts.

#9080 2 years ago

Here is a photo of mine which does have a diode on the switch. I recall that some also have the diode mounted close nearby instead.

(photo is mirror image, since the camera was pointed straight up?)

IMG_0548 (resized).jpgIMG_0548 (resized).jpg

#9082 2 years ago

You mean rotated 180° right?

yup, thats it. always weird to visualize when you stick the camera in the coin door.

(rotated like the playfield is up: )

IMG_0548 (resized).jpgIMG_0548 (resized).jpg

#9088 2 years ago

JP is less than 1kw so you need an electrician to check what the power issue is there. If you have a lamp plugged in there, does it go dim when things are turned on?

#9096 2 years ago

Anything to look into?

All the test points on the power supply board OK?

#9098 2 years ago

OK EXCEPT the sound effects were played in random order.

Random intermittent issues are often caused by ribbon cables. If reseating them does not correct it, next replace the ribbon cable. In this case, the ribbon cable going to the sound board.

3 weeks later
#9124 2 years ago

There should be a rubber around the 3 posts there.

IMG_0623 (resized).jpgIMG_0623 (resized).jpg

#9130 2 years ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Does anyone know if I can get a replacement amber mosquito thing? This one is split. Thanks!

Make a separate 'want to buy' thread. They made a ton of JPs and no doubt there are donor pins that still have the amber sculpt that someone would be happy to sell.

1 week later
#9142 2 years ago
Quoted from frodak99:

Hoping all of you DE experts can point me in the right direction. I've had the machine since July, it took a bit to get it dialed in but it was playing really well. Recently it started having sporadic reset issues, which I thought might have been caused by having too many games on the same circuit, turning 2 of them off seemed to clear the issue. Then, the sound started going a little crazy and it would just play random noises at all points, it was not repeating the same effect just never playing the correct music/effect for what the game was doing. I've now also lost my display. Any ideas where to start looking. The game does seem to be playing correctly minus sound/display if that helps diagnose.

An example of checking DC voltages:

2 weeks later
#9149 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

flashing bulbs from the factory

Technically they are 'blinking' bulbs. Pinball life sells wedge style incandescent blinkers, but no baronet type incandescent blinkers.

#9153 2 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

A little disappointed in the CPR plastic set.

Yup, others reported the same thing a couple years ago.

1 week later
#9170 2 years ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

I see there are 3 screw holes in front of the lights. Am I missing a piece?

Yes, an angled metal strip attaches there to hide the bulbs from view of any tall players.

#9179 2 years ago

Power shield is the minigame where you have to save Timmy right?

No, that mode is called 'electric fences'. He is talking about the 'power shed' upper right scoop. That scoop is a tight shot and I don't know any trick to making it easily.

2 weeks later
#9189 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Does it read Q46?

Definitely Q46 in my copy. (also they are in order in the manual- Q46, Q45, Q44... )

#9191 2 years ago
Quoted from ZAuxier:

does anyone know how to take this pin out so I can install the new link?

That's a roll pin. If you look closely, you will see that one side may be a little smaller than the other. Squeeze the smaller side with pliers and push it out or tap it out after squeezing it. There are probably some Youtube examples of removing roll pins online.

#9196 2 years ago

nm

1 week later
#9208 2 years ago

I noticed that the two kickers are wired by the same yellow with purple stripes wires and two different purple-with stripes ones but that's where i stop now.. any suggestions?

That wire is the common coil power that is daisy chained to the coils. It sounds like the wire broke or fell off the coil that comes before those 2 coils in the chain. Follow that yellow purple wire around and you should find something.

#9217 2 years ago

A couple of things i didn't know: if you pull the trigger at the ball launch sequence, before the ball is emitted, you can skip the Hammond voice over.

You can also flip to skip Hammond.

And if you're after ball 2 but ball 3 not emitted yet hitting the start button will abort the match and start a fresh one.

Holding start to restart the game while ball 2 is in the shooter lane is common on most pins.

1 week later
#9237 1 year ago
Quoted from Dustwel:

Can anyone share what their pitch is?

6.5deg is pretty much recommended for old and new stuff. My '78 Stars is 6.5 and everything newer.

#9242 1 year ago

Here are my notes on using the buttons. Turn on the pin and with the green button up, push the black which should start audits/adjustments.

-----------------------------

adjustment 30 Free Play

1 week later
#9248 1 year ago
Quoted from NerdImmersion:

I've been dabbling more and more at fixing/adjusting things, so any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Take a look online for tuning up data east pop bumpers videos to get the idea how they work. (most pop bumpers are about the same)

The plastic ring presses on a spoon shaped part under the playfield which closes a leaf switch to fire the pop. Clean the grime out of the spoon part, clean the leaf switch, and check the switch gap, etc.

1 week later
#9282 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

One thing that's a little wonky is the behavior if you hit the super missile right before the ball drains. It ends up showing the animations for the next mode and then immediately ending. Just feels off.

For those of you that have the original ROM, does it have this behavior?

That's normal. Smart missile awards all lit shots. If the control room is lit, hitting smart missile will start the mode as you drain or in multiball or whatever the game state is.

#9300 1 year ago

EOS Service Bulletin sb54.pdfEOS Service Bulletin sb54.pdf

#9306 1 year ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

I did read in the DE repair guide that odd behaviour could be caused by bad diodes causing spikes to get back to the mpu.

Seems like that would cause crashes and reboots and all sorts of random issues if the CPU had power issues.

You mentioned reseating the video ribbon cable, but it may be time to replace it.

#9309 1 year ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Mpu photo attached as well

Your CN22 video ribbon cable is all crinkled up. Very likely a wire inside is failing.

#9314 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I am wondering how the small lights work at the lower scoops, the gate and the Trex.

Shoot the power shed scoop to the light the yellow light at the control room scoop. Shooting the control room when the yellow light is on starts a mode. The inlanes also light the yellow control room scoop light momentarily (blinking) to start a mode.

During System Boot mode the green lights above all the scoops light to show you need to hit each scoop to complete that mode.

The yellow light lit solid above the bunker shows MrDNA is ready there. Yellow blinking shows you can collet park revenue there.

http://www.pinball.org/rules/jurassicpark.html

#9316 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

the gate and the Trex

The lights at the ramp gate light during Bone Busting mode to show you to shoot the ramp for points in that mode.

Yes, T-REX lights to show you multiball is ready so hit T-REX to start. It probably also lights in Feed T-REX mode where you shoot T-REX once to complete the mode.

Remember the smart missile button on the ball launch gun collects all lit shots one time per game. A good time to use that is during multiball. First hit the jackpot shot at he ramp or obit to light the CHAOS letters and then hit the smart missile button to collect all the CHAOS letters and start Chaos 6-ball multiball.

#9318 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Where do I find in the schematics the control wiring of these lamps.

Sounds like a burned out bulb. In the manual you can look for 'lamp matrix' to see how they are wired in rows and columns.

#9325 1 year ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I found two wires not connected to anything

Those go the raptor pit kicker coil. Maybe someone removed the entire mech? Take a larger photo of that area and we can tell you more.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#9328 1 year ago

You can also check youtube to see what is normal. This PAPA gameplay video shows some modes and multiball and CHAOS, etc.

#9330 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

There is a playfield plastic that was covering the burnt coil

Good point, that coil is on top of the playfield, so we won't see it clearly from the bottom.

#9336 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Sometimes during multiballs the game seems to lose track of balls in play. During a tri-ball there were two balls in play and after those drained the third finally came out and launched. Does the indicate potential trough switch issues?

There is a switch mounted vertically at the end of the trough near the upkicker that can get stiff and sometimes the ball does not push it in fully. I recall it can cause some multiball weirdness.

#9339 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I am guessing you are referring to switch 4 in the drawing?

If it is too stiff, and the ball can't press it, replace it with a new one that actuates normally.

#9343 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Do you ever have a case where the switches metal blade needs to be bent out to properly register balls passing by?

Yes switch levers sometimes need to be bent/adjusted. Test it with a ball and make sure that activates the switch (don't just use your finger). Confirm the other switches in the trough are OK also.

2 weeks later
#9359 1 year ago
Quoted from SDX10:

the ball seemed to want to jump off the wireform ramp

I taped on short flap to the end of the ramp plastic to prevent balls from flying off wire ramp. Did the same on my Addams Family.

1 week later
#9379 1 year ago

It's been a while since I turned on JP, and now I'm noticing there are some coils that fire immediately upon switching the game on and then cut out, like the controlling PIA on the MPU is activating them momentarily. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, sometimes when I turn on my JP, I hear some coil fire 'bang' but it always boots up normally, so I guess it is just a momentary thing and no coils are stuck on. Mine has been working fairly reliably for the 5yrs I have owned it, so I'm not worried about that.

2 weeks later
#9417 1 year ago
Quoted from SDX10:

I'm getting some naptha, S100 Carnauba paste wax, some Novus 2 & some microfiber cloths.

FYI - Remember naptha can remove paint and is toxic. It's a last resort choice for me.

For basic cleaning I use an old cotton t-shirt dampened with a little simple green. It's fine for getting grime off a clear coated playfield or painted cabinet for example and works well to take the black marks off white playfield rubbers and flipper rubbers. (You would not want to use that on bare wood.)

Novus 1 is nice for cleaning up the playfield plastics, and if you have sling plastics that are scuffed and dull, you can use the Novus 3-2-1 system to get them back shining. (plastics are painted on the back side so don't scratch the back) My Twilight Zone had a very dirty dull playfield. I used simple green to get the grime off and then Novus 3-2-1 to get the dull clearcoat back shining like new so the spots that ball contacted looked the same as the area under the sling for example where the ball does not go. My test was the overhead light - if I could see my overhead light shape reflect in the clearcoat, then that area was done.

Remember Novus is designed as a polish for plastic. Once I also used Novus to repair a dull spot on the plastic the covers the DMD.

As mentioned, carnuba wax can be applied to protect the clearcoat and makes the pin play fast. Rub it on in circles with a cloth and let it dry, and then rub it off in circles with a cloth.

#9425 1 year ago

Not random. For example while in 'Bone Busting' mode where you shoot the ramp, I recall it always feeds the left flipper so you can keep looping the ramp until the mode ends.

3 weeks later
#9466 1 year ago

Hard to get a good angle...

IMG_1674 (resized).jpgIMG_1674 (resized).jpg
IMG_1675 (resized).jpgIMG_1675 (resized).jpg

Looks like they go to the CPU board CN14. The colors and labels match up and make sense. I added some text to help make it clearer...

CONNECTOR (resized).jpgCONNECTOR (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#9492 1 year ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I guess I never gave any thought to the obvious weight discrepancy.

Same with your DE Star Wars.

3 weeks later
#9527 1 year ago

i've seen it move, but just once

Are you sure the wires are connected securely to the coil? If the wire is a little loose it will work intermittently. The power wire is chained from another coil so it could be loose there too.

#9533 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

And things just got worse. Now after draining it no longer registers the drain. After checking trough switches , it no longer launches a ball.

In the diagnostics you can see what switches are pressed and test each switch with the ball. Start there.

#9536 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Ok, found the culprit. The ball feed to the eject isn't working. I pushed a connector together and got a game out of it, but no joy since.

Guess I'll try bypassing the connector next. (?)

Maybe you jigged something to get the switch working. Switch test is still a decent idea.

What connector? An inline connector or at some board?

#9539 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So scoop lights? Any direction or thoughts?

Lamp matrix is your friend (manual page 32). You can see they call them left, center, and right scoop lamps. The #57 right scoop top lamp and #58 bottom lamp are both connected to the column 8 wire "yellow with gray dots".

Look for problems on that wire near those lamps.

2 weeks later
#9557 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

BOTH flipper buttons move Trex left

I believe the little relay board selects left / right and motor on / off so check the connections there.

#9562 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

flippers don't work as soon as ball is kicked out of the vuk...

Go to switch test and knock on the playfield and see if any switches activate. Sounds like a trough switch is acting up.

#9567 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Ok, so where can I purchase a new Trex left/right relay board?

Marco shows that 520-5065-00 was replaced by 520-6803-00:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6803-00

#9568 1 year ago
Quoted from rvermeire:

I tried a ball in VUK (in test mode) and tried troughs... Initially the first one was not reacting when moving it down by hand while ball still in VUK.

Maybe a loose wire somewhere or that switch is starting to fail.

#9575 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

with the 30.5" legs it seemed too high

T-REX sized!

1 week later
#9602 1 year ago

I believe you got an orange spare set in the goodie bag so owners cold pick blue or orange slings. Also you can see the repro plastic set it includes a blue pair and orange pair.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/830-5623-XX

#9610 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

It's gone from what looked like it was going to work well into a total basket case over a 5 min period!!

Any battery leakage or corrosion around the batteries? You check the test points in the upper left for the power supplies. Since it is doing intermittent random things it might also be something like a ribbon cable that needs to be reseated.

#9630 1 year ago

In my case C2 was already replaced and I found the +5 was OK when CN6 was unplugged so it was the cap on the CPU board loading down the +5v FYI:

1 month later
#9699 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

When you start a new game, the the ball doesn’t eject into the shooter lane. The gun also doesn’t fire. And last, the flippers are not engaging when I press the buttons.

Do things work normally in the diagnostics tests?

Switch tests show the correct switch being pressed?

Correct coil fires in the coil test, etc?

the service buttons work like this-

#9706 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Can I order these with Pinball Life?

nearest auto parts or department store

#9708 1 year ago

true, slow blow are less common

1 month later
#9731 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

keychain for the coindoor for DE JP?

Can't go wrong with a JP prop badge from Amazon.

1 month later
#9762 1 year ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

What are must have/best mods for the game?

I recommend flipping through the image gallery for this thread. You can get a look at all the visual mods and see which suit you.

Art blades, signs, things to go in front of the scoop lights, t-rex sign, goats, dinos, shaving cream can, t-rex upgrades, decals, armor, etc.

2 weeks later
#9774 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

I cannot find the setting in the menu to change it to free play

I have a text file with my notes for the wonky buttons and a list of adjustments I sometimes use:

adjustment 30 Free Play

#9776 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

What about the match graphics at the end of a game?

No setting that I have seen. It seems the match is disabled in free play.

#9778 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Adj.13 Match Percent

That worked! Added to my notes-

Adjustment 13 Match percent off-> 00%

#9781 1 year ago
Quoted from AJGross:

original topper and the Marco's remake?

Originals have sharp well defined T-REX teeth, the remakes have blocky teeth. Also the originals have more dark details in the raised areas, the remakes are more just flat gray in the raised areas. There were some side by side pics posted a few years ago and it's easy to tell the difference if you look for those details.
That being said, I am happy with the my remake topper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club?tu=Neal_W and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.