65CAB543-E774-4E3F-BE43-41A065718418 (resized).jpeg
172457CB-CDD8-4220-83F8-23B672578DD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4931 (resized).jpeg
71ZSWlVWEuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_2207 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (2) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

59 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Data East / JP Ball Trough fix (#7) [Video] Posted by ChadH (10 years ago)

Post #98 Jurassic Park Ford Explorer [External Article] Posted by blondetall (9 years ago)

Post #138 Ball not entering gate at pop bumpers Posted by accidental (9 years ago)

Post #159 Creation Of Jurassic Park’s CGI Dinos [Article / Video] Posted by blondetall (9 years ago)

Post #162 Link to Loop Combo Scoop Mod Thread Posted by InfiniteLives (9 years ago)

Post #182 Link to CRT Mod Thead Posted by CraZyMuffin (9 years ago)

Post #209 Custom Apron Cards Posted by Pinballocks (9 years ago)

Post #322 Playfield Back Wood-Block acrylic mod Posted by smerff (9 years ago)

Post #357 Switch Matrix / Random No Target Scoring Bug Posted by ChadH (9 years ago)

Post #374 Link to Shaker Problem Thread Posted by aobrien5 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Billc479.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3016 7 years ago

My instruction card refers to the Computer Room instead of the Control Room as starting the different modes - Stampede, etc. Has anyone else noticed that? I am pretty sure I have an original Instruction card.

#3021 7 years ago

DearLiza - Did you replace the IDT connector? Also, there appears to be corrosion on your circuit board. Did the batteries leak at some time? The corrosion should be cleaned up, as it will continue to grow and cause more problems in the future.

RA 4 is a resistor array - I doubt that it's bad.

Great Plains Electronics is a good source.

3 months later
#3253 6 years ago

Check to see if the voltages are at the bulbs and work your way back to the board. I had a bad pin at a Z connector that was causing me to lose the top GI lights on the backboard.

2 months later
#3565 6 years ago

It should definitely have a three prong plug.

2 months later
#3780 6 years ago

Chalky -

You have a break in line somewhere. Verify you have the twelve volts on the lower lamps - keep working your way back toward the backbox until you find your voltage, then you will know where the issue is.

Also verify the power is going thru the Z connector - that's where I had an issue.

3 weeks later
#3849 6 years ago

Jenniebear -

My machine does close to the same thing after a game, but on mine, the sound continues, then after it ends, the display comes back, and the machine is ready to go. The DMD seems to be off for an excruciating long time, but it is probably not that long. I have noticed that if I start a game while the DMD is blank, the game will start after the DMD reappears.

It might be an issue with the game roms, Chad's updates would probably fix it, but I haven't gone that route. I just live with it for now.

Next time the DMD blanks, let it sit for a minute and see if it comes back on its own and report back. Others may have better ideas.

1 month later
#4143 6 years ago

Texas - This may not be relevant to your issue, but I had the same issue with my IJ. I found I could get a lot of them going by reversing the bulbs in the holder. The other thing I found was the "ears" on the holders had lost their spring, so they were not making good contact with the lands on the circuit board. I had to replace those with new ones. You can find expensive ones at auto parts stores - if you need more than a few, its cheaper to order from any of the regular parts suppliers.

1 month later
#4296 6 years ago

One in St. Louis, Mo. Craigslist. Disclaimer: I have not seen it.

stlouis.craigslist.org link

5 months later
#4494 5 years ago

DikkRambone -
Search this thread - I had the same issue, and I found a bad connection on a Z plug. I think I documented it on this thread.

#4495 5 years ago

Found it - post #3780

Chalky -

You have a break in line somewhere. Verify you have the twelve volts on the lower lamps - keep working your way back toward the backbox until you find your voltage, then you will know where the issue is.

Also verify the power is going thru the Z connector - that's where I had an issue.

#4497 5 years ago

Glad you found the problem. On mine, the burned pins on the Z connector were not obvious.

6 months later
2 weeks later
#5302 5 years ago

Did you try reversing (turn the lamp 180 degrees) and reinstall?

1 week later
#5427 5 years ago

Make sure you eat your Wheaties before attempting to attach the bungee. They can be pretty hard, especially when holding the playfield steady with one hand.

4 weeks later
#5749 4 years ago

It's called a roll pin - don't remember the size, but it should be in the bottom of the machine. Take it to a hardware store - they may have the right size to replace it.

1 month later
#6349 4 years ago

Try cleaning your EOS and flipper contacts again. On mine, the set of contacts on the flipper button were not "square" and the amount of contact surface area must have been too small to carry enough current.

1 year later
#7930 3 years ago

Replace the plug cap - its easy, and there's lots of instructions around here on how to do it safely. Just a couple of bucks to fix properly.

3 weeks later
#7978 3 years ago

Sounds like you have trough switches right on the edge. See if you can make the switch make a little sooner when the hall rolls over it or sits on it. This would entail bending the actuator arm just a wee bit

3 weeks later
#8032 3 years ago

Johnjn -

Repost your question on the new JP thread. This is the Data East JP thread.

2 months later
#8325 3 years ago

Check/replace the capacitors on the sound board, along with checking the power supply voltages and connectors as suggested above. You will need a voltmeter.

#8335 3 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega is the place to go for info.

A capacitor tester is a different device than a multimeter. Since you don't have one, look closely at the capacitors. Are any swollen or blown apart? Are there crystals around or under a capacitor - that would indicate the capacitor has leaked and needs replaced.

Using the voltmeter, you put one lead on ground, and the other on the test points on the board - the schematic will show the expected voltages. Make sure you know whether you're looking at DC or AC voltages and set the meter accordingly.

#8340 3 years ago

You should not need new coils. Replace the rubber on the flippers while you’re at it.

3 weeks later
#8387 3 years ago

Sgorsuch

There’s an aftermarket eprom that helps game play - instead of the modes always starting on stampede, the mode starts are random. There are other things, but to me that is the biggest.

Mr DNA happens after you hit sets of drop targets or modes - I don’t remember which. Mr DNA is available when the green light above the scoop is lit.

1 week later
#8399 3 years ago

Look at Barbie accessories

2 weeks later
#8450 3 years ago

While you're borrowing tools, the header pins for the connector should be replaced, too, otherwise, in the future you will be replacing the connector again. Since the connector pins and wires burned, there's no reason not to think that the header pins are burned, too.

For future reference, any time you have burned pins or connectors, both sides should be replaced at the same time.

1 month later
#8518 3 years ago

Use ohms for checking fuses, not the beep.

You’ve lost the five volts - after checking the fuses, pull out your schematic and work your way back from the test point. It’s possible you have a bad fuse holder or a bad rectifier.

A schematic is your friend and can help you troubleshoot.

4 months later
#8782 2 years ago

Debian

Go to pinwiki and read up on how to check your power supply voltages. It sounds like you lost your 6 volts.

#8785 2 years ago

Data East CPU boards have the +5V and ground test points located just above the battery holder's upper right corner and to the left of connection CN17. Connections can be made to the appropriate pins on CN17, but it is much easier just to use the test points. Hopefully, you have the schematics and parts drawings to help.

Look closely at CN8 and other connectors to make sure there's no evidence of burning.

5 months later
#8995 2 years ago

Check the wiring and the board that feeds the lamps in case the problem is on the board.

2 weeks later
#9025 2 years ago

Please post a pic of the coil and wiring, and if there's a diode on the coil, make sure we can see it. Include in the pics the End of Stroke switch. The EOS either opens or closes when the flipper is all the way up (extended).

#9027 2 years ago

Check your connections on the flipper driver board to the left flipper. The board is on the left hand side of the cabinet. A lot of times, the board will get raked by a dropped playfield. It’s possible that happened to yours and a connection became weak.

#9035 2 years ago

How much up and down movement do you have on the flipper shaft compared to the right flipper? Just trying to figure out if you're binding.

#9038 2 years ago

There’s a x connector that feeds the back box gi lights. Verify that connector is good

#9045 2 years ago

The short answer is yes.

Check the “Z” connector for burned pins. I’ve attached two pics to show what I’m referring to. On my machine, part of the gi was out because of a bad in in the connector.

Follow the cable from the door, you should see the connector.

17D8FBED-7987-4DD3-A4F9-36EA5F1EB4DC (resized).jpeg17D8FBED-7987-4DD3-A4F9-36EA5F1EB4DC (resized).jpegF698990D-86D9-4995-9093-F76B2A0DC44F (resized).jpegF698990D-86D9-4995-9093-F76B2A0DC44F (resized).jpeg
#9047 2 years ago

Sure, but you will end up with a unicorn, and in the future, someone will be wondering what the heck is this hack?

But before you do that, make sure the problem is with the Z connector. Also, did you make sure the bulbs are all OK? I've heard stories of something blowing out all the bulbs - usually by crossing wires and putting say 43 volts on the 6 volt rail.

#9060 2 years ago

Note the Z connector between the connectors. In that example picture, its possible those pins in the Z connector are toast and you would need a new connector.

2 weeks later
#9084 2 years ago

1N4007 would be fine

#9087 2 years ago

It sounds like you have low voltage when other devices are turned on. Another thing to check, breakers tend to get weak after they trip (open) many times. It is possible your breaker is weak.

Your 3KW source should allow you to pull about 13 amps - assuming 220 VAC. I don't know what the surge current is when powering up JP - its possible you reach the trip point with other stuff on. Try varying the starting sequence of what you turn on first - JP, then jukebox, then mood lights, etc. See if changing the sequence reduces your problems.

#9090 2 years ago

Just for grins, do you have an amp meter to check what JP is pulling? An analog meter is best to see if you have a high surge current.

Have you checked all of your power supply voltages, including the amount of AC ripple on the DC side?

4 months later
#9255 1 year ago

Dustwel - check the switch under the playfield. It may have worked itself loose.

#9273 1 year ago

Dustwel - are the two screws holding the switch tightly? It may be the camera angle, but when the switch actuator is pushed down by the ball, does it hit the white/green wire?

1 month later
#9362 1 year ago

Replace the switch on the machine - should be able to find something that will fit.

#9364 1 year ago

Just an off the wall thought - did you run a switch test?

Also, if the ROM is corrupt again, it must be getting some backfeed from whatever its feeding off of the board - something on the playfield shorting from one voltage to another?

Just ideas, and shooting in the dark. I'm not really sure what to think on this. Following

1 week later
#9385 1 year ago

You’re voltage 220vac? If so, you could use 5 amp, but 10 amp would give you a lot more room.

#9387 1 year ago

Before installing Chad’s code(which is very easy -power off, remove the original chip, install Chad’s chip), I suggest you play the machine with the original code for awhile so you can really see the difference in codes once you switch.

#9390 1 year ago

Since you're at 220 VAC, using 200 watts, you would be pulling around 1 amp, so a 5 amp switch would be just fine.

Your math is correct.

If a switch is subject to higher amps than it is rated for it will get hot due to the contacts in the switch melting, and probably start smoking as it continues to burn. By the time the switch starts burning, it likely shorts, and your outlet protection should kick in and trip the house breaker.

I don't think you will need to worry about using the 5 amp switch - just make sure the 5 amps is at 220 VAC.

#9403 1 year ago

Did you test the diode? Test all of the trough switches, too. It sounds like one of them is not showing up closed when a ball is on it.

You may be able to see which one in the switch tests.

#9406 1 year ago

Preacher- since the problem is intermittent, this will be a difficult problem to figure out.

What else is on the circuit and operating when this happens? (This would include stuff that is on but appears off, such as TVs, etc.). Turn all that stuff off before turning on JP so as to isolate the problem to JP or something else.

Is the breaker that trips a GFI? If so, look at replacing the line filter. This is based on a recent thread where the GFI was tripping.

Good luck.

5 months later
#9705 1 year ago

ScoobaDoo - since you’re ordering fuses and have not figured what what blew it( or them if you’re still troubleshooting), consider ordering circuit breakers of various sizes, too. They really come in handy when troubleshooting. There’s fewer things more irritating than running out of fuses while troubleshooting.

3 months later
#9784 11 months ago

Did you put the machine in switch test to see if the switch registers? If it registers, then you need to bend the switch actuator a bit to make it register more consistently when the ball goes over it.

2 weeks later
#9794 11 months ago

Woody - not sure how long you will have to store it, but if it has batteries, don't forget to take them out beforehand.

Have fun with the baby - they will grow up fast.

5 months later
#9903 5 months ago

Did you check the fuses first? For that many to die all at once points that way.

#9905 5 months ago

F1, 5 & 6 on the PPB, F2 on the backbox. I am not near my machine to see if there's a fuse under the playfield.

2 months later
#9956 3 months ago

Bowtech - here’s a pic

IMG_0009 (resized).jpegIMG_0009 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Billc479.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club?tu=Billc479 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.