IMG_2307 (resized).jpeg
65CAB543-E774-4E3F-BE43-41A065718418 (resized).jpeg
172457CB-CDD8-4220-83F8-23B672578DD2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4931 (resized).jpeg
71ZSWlVWEuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
IMG_2207 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

59 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,134 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 203.
#351 9 years ago

I haven't read through this whole thread, but just wondering if anyone's had their Jurassic Park randomly freak out during a game and start scoring all crazy points and flipping through different modes on the DMD and it doesn't stop until the ball drains. Keeps repeating stuff like DINO DINO DINO DINO DINO DNA DINO DINO. The first time it happened I thought it was part of the game like I hit some Jackpot.. and later realized it was a bug Once the ball drains everything goes back to normal. I had read somewhere that this may be a ramp switch sticking and possibly some bug in the game code.. but thought I'd ask if anyone else had that happen before I dig into my own JP. It's really the only thing that's kept me from enjoying the game.

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#352 9 years ago

Youre positive it wasnt the "system shutdown" mode? I know that mode seems like the game is glitching out.

#353 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Youre positive it wasnt the "system shutdown" mode? I know that mode seems like the game is glitching out.

Yeah it wasn't that.. you could literally hold the ball on the flipper and score will go up and up and it cycles through a bunch of modes on the DMD as if you're hitting all kinds of things. It's either a switch matrix issue or some switch closure hitting a bug in the game code. When I was doing research a while back I saw a few other posts mention it and point to ramp switches as a possibility. I'll have to dig those up again.. just figured I'd ask here too.

I do *LOVE* that System Shutdown mode though

---

#354 9 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I haven't read through this whole thread, but just wondering if anyone's had their Jurassic Park randomly freak out during a game and start scoring all crazy points and flipping through different modes on the DMD and it doesn't stop until the ball drains. Keeps repeating stuff like DINO DINO DINO DINO DINO DNA DINO DINO. The first time it happened I thought it was part of the game like I hit some Jackpot.. and later realized it was a bug Once the ball drains everything goes back to normal. I had read somewhere that this may be a ramp switch sticking and possibly some bug in the game code.. but thought I'd ask if anyone else had that happen before I dig into my own JP. It's really the only thing that's kept me from enjoying the game.
---

I had that exact thing happen a few times and I thought I was going crazy. It ended up being a leg of the diode breaking on the right ramp exit switch or something. I assume at some point when I pulled the playfield, the switch must have hit the black trim for the playfield glass and messed it up. A little solder fixed the issue no problem. If I recall correctly, one of the spitter targets or the bunker or something triggered the issue. Hope this helps and good luck!

#355 9 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

I had that exact thing happen a few times and I thought I was going crazy. It ended up being a leg of the diode breaking on the right ramp exit switch or something. I assume at some point when I pulled the playfield, the switch must have hit the black trim for the playfield glass and messed it up. A little solder fixed the issue no problem. If I recall correctly, one of the spitter targets or the bunker or something triggered the issue. Hope this helps and good luck!

Great, thanks for confirming the ramp switch theory. That gives me a great starting point And no, you're definitely not nuts.. haha.

Can't wait to get it fixed and get playing it a bunch! One of my favorites.

---

#356 9 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Great, thanks for confirming the ramp switch theory. That gives me a great starting point And no, you're definitely not nuts.. haha.
Can't wait to get it fixed and get playing it a bunch! One of my favorites.
---

Mine was doing that semi-frequently. I think the culprit was bad trough switches.

#357 9 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Oh wow! I am so glad you brought this up.

I know EXACTLY what is happening!

Congratulations... you found a bug in the code! But it's not a bug that anyone would ever see in a perfectly functioning game.

I came across this while working on the code update.

Here is the switch matrix for Jurassic Park:

JP-switch-matrix.pngJP-switch-matrix.png

The one I have highlighted is "Not Used". It would be Switch 28. But there is nothing hooked to this in the matrix. So a perfectly functioning game would never have this switch activate. The only way this switch would activate is if there is a problem in the switch matrix. Most likely a diode issue somewhere in ROW 4 or COLUMN 4.

As you can see, there are other "Not Used" switches (switch 8, 30, 51, 54, and 62). But if something were to trigger those, nothing would ever happen. Why? Because the code tells it to basically ignore those switches. But why does triggering Switch 28 cause the game to freak out? Because the code actually tells the game to go to an illogical place in the program when that switch is activated. So the game basically freaks out until the ball drains.

I am so glad this is happening to you. Why? Because I came across this exact bug while working on the JP code update... I figured no one would ever see this so I forgot about it. But now that you guys are mentioning that you have seen this actually happen in your game, I am going to update it so it will never happen and it will ignore Switch 28 always... just like it ignores all the other unused switches.

So what should you do in the meantime? Look closely at all the diodes on all the switches in ROW 4 and COLUMN 4. Somewhere in there you will probably find a problem such as a bad diode or a short.

#358 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Oh wow! I am so glad you brought this up.
I am so glad this is happening to you. Why? Because I came across this exact bug while working on the JP code update... I figured no one would ever see this so I forgot about it. But now that you guys are mentioning that you have seen this actually happen in your game, I am going to update it so it will never happen and it will ignore Switch 28 always... just like it ignores all the other unused switches.

Awesome! This Jurassic Park issue is actually what ultimately pushed me to create the 64 Switch Matrix Tester that I sell.. I figured if it was something on the board or with the ROM I could possibly duplicate it with the tester.. and if not, I could look for diode shorts under the playfield. I just never got back into working on the game.. it was buried behind some other things and just sat. Never did hook the tester up to it, but if I did and hit switch 28 I'd have been wondering what the heck was going on. That all makes sense now if it's being detected and jumping to an illogical place in the code. Man, I'm kicking myself for not digging the machine out, pulling the translite and testing the switches earlier

Thank you so much for the insight into all of this! I'll be sure to check out your ROM update when you release it.. very very cool. I'll definitely look at switches in the row/col you mentioned. Can't wait to get it fixed so I can play some JP without the fear of that bug occurring.

---

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Mine was doing that semi-frequently. I think the culprit was bad trough switches.

Actually I remember now, it was that the diodes for some of the trough switches had been pressed up against some metal and I think it was causing a short, so that would make sense in light of Chad's response (trough #4 maybe). I think the diodes had been bent when I was servicing it at one point and hit those switches against the cabinet or something when I was putting the pf back down.

#360 9 years ago

Actually I remember now, it was that the diodes for some of the trough switches had been pressed up against some metal and I think it was causing a short, so that would make sense in light of Chad's response (trough #4 maybe). I think the diodes had been bent when I was servicing it at one point and hit those switches against the cabinet or something when I was putting the pf back down.

I'll definitely be looking at that trough switch too. Seriously, thanks to everyone that has confirmed this anomaly! Should make it much easier to diagnose now that I have an idea of where to look.

---

#361 9 years ago

A quickie, as I managed to loose some screw and some need replacing, during my last semi-shopping:

Could anyone tell me the different screws/bolts and their model-number which are marked with Red, yellow and Pink in the attached image?

Cannot find anything in the manual about the slingshot screws, although im sure they are very common in pinball

slingshot_jp.jpgslingshot_jp.jpg
#362 9 years ago

Any one ever take the backbox off of theirs? How bad was it? From the looks of the backbox pics online, it looks like there are quite a few connectors to disconnect to get it off.

#363 9 years ago

Any one ever take the backbox off of theirs? How bad was it? From the looks of the backbox pics online, it looks like there are quite a few connectors to disconnect to get it off.

I've done it. Take pictures before doing so. Hardest part is getting the wiring harness like it was. Use the manual for any connectors you cannot remember or discern from your pics. Pretty easy stuff.

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I've done it. Take pictures before doing so. Hardest part is getting the wiring harness like it was. Use the manual for any connectors you cannot remember or discern from your pics. Pretty easy stuff.

Ive done all the games in my basement....6 total now. Worst game so far I would say was my Big Guns as it has the interconnect board.

Thanks

#365 9 years ago

I usually take heads off to move games in and out of my basement. I don't recall JP being any more complex than others I've done. If I recall correctly the connectors are all keyed, so it's not too difficult figuring out where things go. Sure, pictures are a good idea, but it might also be a good idea to label the connectors if you have the time.

I like that it has the latch lock in the back. That made it easier to put the head back on without any help. Just line up that lock from the back, lock it and then reattach the hinges before doing wiring.

#366 9 years ago

WPC is worse as there are some connectors keyed the same.

Nascar is the only one that ever gave me fits. I had an earlier one where plugging in a plug that was supposed to hang loose blew all the opto boards that go around the track. Still stings to this day how much that wasted.

#367 9 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

A quickie, as I managed to loose some screw and some need replacing, during my last semi-shopping:
Could anyone tell me the different screws/bolts and their model-number which are marked with Red, yellow and Pink in the attached image?
Cannot find anything in the manual about the slingshot screws, although im sure they are very common in pinball

The lane guide screws are standard #6/32 washer head screws. The far right one might longer than the other two to accommodate the prop bracket and a nut, so check the lengths. Probably 2-2 1/2".

The star posts screws are probably something like this for the one holding the ramp:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2076

and this for the one not holding the ramp:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2077

but you'll have to check if it's a machine screw (into a t-nut under the playfield) or a wood screw (directly into the playfield). If it's a wood screw, probably this:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2078

Check all your measurements from other existing screws because there are several different sizes. Both in length and thickness.

#368 9 years ago

Pulling all the connectors is no big deal. I pull the playfields when I shop them and there's only a few left once it's out

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

The lane guide screws are standard #6/32 washer head screws. The far right one might longer than the other two to accommodate the prop bracket and a nut, so check the lengths. Probably 2-2 1/2".
The star posts screws are probably something like this for the one holding the ramp:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2076
and this for the one not holding the ramp:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2077
but you'll have to check if it's a machine screw (into a t-nut under the playfield) or a wood screw (directly into the playfield). If it's a wood screw, probably this:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2078
Check all your measurements from other existing screws because there are several different sizes. Both in length and thickness.

Thanks! I must take the blame for messing up the terms. In the red and pink circles, what i meant was the (nylock) nuts, not the screws. Just forgot that it was called nuts in english do you know size and type these..errr, nuts are?

#370 9 years ago

Use a sharpie to mark the connectors, it helps when reconnecting.

#371 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Use a sharpie to mark the connectors, it helps when reconnecting.

Connectors are keyed so they will only go in the right spot but a sharpie will make you feel better.

20150211_170148.jpg20150211_170148.jpg
#372 9 years ago

Rather than a sharpie on the connector just label a piece of painters tape and attach

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Thanks! I must take the blame for messing up the terms. In the red and pink circles, what i meant was the (nylock) nuts, not the screws. Just forgot that it was called nuts in english do you know size and type these..errr, nuts are?

Again, probably a 6 or an 8:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=226

#375 9 years ago

JP coming my way, mid to end of next month. Cant wait! Lets go Chad H!

1 week later
#376 9 years ago

Almost the entire time I've had JP, I almost never got triball before ball 3. One particularly difficult dino target was the triceratops one because the front blade that has the plastic target riveted on would kind of rotate by getting bashed from the side to where it would bind on the bracket behind the switch, thus rarely making contact. I've been tuning up my game in preparation for bringing it to an expo and noticed a few of the other switches were loose, too. I took them out from under the playfield and tightended up the screws in the switch stacks. These targets are much easier to hit now and I'm often getting triball on ball 1, but at least by ball 2 most times.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has issues with their dino targets.

#377 9 years ago

Almost the entire time I've had JP, I almost never got triball before ball 3. One particularly difficult dino target was the triceratops one because the front blade that has the plastic target riveted on would kind of rotate by getting bashed from the side to where it would bind on the bracket behind the switch, thus rarely making contact. I've been tuning up my game in preparation for bringing it to an expo and noticed a few of the other switches were loose, too. I took them out from under the playfield and tightended up the screws in the switch stacks. These targets are much easier to hit now and I'm often getting triball on ball 1, but at least by ball 2 most times.
Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has issues with their dino targets.

Had the same issue on the targets above the gate to the pops. Easy fix.

#378 9 years ago

Will check this out, I must admit ive rarely had triball ready on ball 1 but not thought that much about it.

#379 9 years ago

One thing I wish was a little different in this game is the wireform that goes horizontally across the playfield. The ball comes flying off of that a lot on my game. I wish it had been built up as a full pipe like it is at the end when it drops out, so the ball can't come flying off...

Are there any remedies for this issue?

#380 9 years ago

Has anyone repainted their t-rex? If so, what kind of paint did you use? .

We've got ours apart now trying to fix the issue of not picking up the ball, and from the looks of the orange paint and stripes, he looks more like a tiger-rex. I'm thinking about trying to paint it more brown/green since I am years away on the waiting list for the new version.

#381 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I am years away on the waiting list for the new version

Not years! Maybe a year... If I'm still producing the improved t-rex a couple of years from now, I'll die of boredom...

I suggest scuffing it up, spraying with some kind of primer that says it's for plastics and then just paint with cheap acrylics. You'll have leftover for touch-ups as needed.

#382 9 years ago

I got some little Testor jars at Michaels and a cheap little plastic dino to practice on, so I've got to get my painting skills up to par first anyway and didn't know if one kind of paint was better than the other.

I know I'm at the bottom of the list, and honestly at this point am tired of sinking money into my machine since it's a freaking diva that finds something new to mess up every time I want to play it. lol Maybe it will be 100% up and running by time you get to my name on the list so that I can afford to even get a new one.

1 week later
#383 9 years ago

Does anyone have an issue with the ball trough kicking the ball up into the shooter lane and it bouncing back in? Checked the manual and it does have the correct coil in there. Coil power is set to normal in settings.

#384 9 years ago

Just got finished adding in my new banner and getting a few things set up for a teeny pin party on Saturday, so thought I would post some pics here since everyone else thinks I am crazy.

The 'armory' is the closet under the stairs, right across the hall from the room with these pins. The posters are in the hall across from the armory on the same wall as this room. My JP collection had to expand once I ran out of wall space with the 6' t rex decal, but the banner fits perfectly on a jut-out for a support beam that is over the pins.

I'm pretty excited about the kids that hopefully are coming being able to see the t rex eat the ball on the pin this time. We finally got it and the shaker motor working again, and the game runs 100% once it boots up, and only occasionally give trouble then. Yay!

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-644.jpgimage-644.jpg
image-117.jpgimage-117.jpg
image-602.jpgimage-602.jpg
image-850.jpgimage-850.jpg
image-459.jpgimage-459.jpg

#385 9 years ago

Very cool, nice job!!!

Hey, does any one know if the loop combo guy is on here? I knew I should have pulled the trigger on the yellow scoop mod when it was available a bit ago....

If hes not on here, any one know how long it takes to get back in stock usually?

#386 9 years ago

Very cool, nice job!!!
Hey, does any one know if the loop combo guy is on here? I knew I should have pulled the trigger on the yellow scoop mod when it was available a bit ago....
If hes not on here, any one know how long it takes to get back in stock usually?

When I was looking for the yellow ones and he was showing out of stock, I emailed him and he had some available in a few days.

#387 9 years ago

I am seriously having a hard time finding how to contact him on his site. Thanks though.

#388 9 years ago

I am seriously having a hard time finding how to contact him on his site. Thanks though.

The scoop light mod is made by Pinsider accidental.

#389 9 years ago

Thank you sir. Cant wait for your mod as well.

#390 9 years ago

Very nice setup. Is the armory a sticker or poster? Did you make it yourself?

#391 9 years ago

I just cannot get rid of Arnies eyes

#392 9 years ago

The armory is a door decal, from thinkgeek.com. The door for the pin room has the laboratory one on it, and we've got the airlock one for my husband's theater if he'll ever put it up.

Look closely and you'll see that the Rex on the translite has a big googly eye too. They all glow in the dark and are in front of super brite LEDs, so when I play in the dark and the machine lights go off for the match sequence, the big eyes glow like crazy.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-413.jpgimage-413.jpg
#393 9 years ago

Hi guys, I need a little tech help here... I got a little overzealous repinning wires in my rush to rebuild the connector for J5 on the PPB. I pulled out the entire PPB to redo the header pins, which turned out very nicely, but now I am stuck with a mess of wires that I've repinned but don't know which order to reinsert in the new connector. Stupid move not to label them, I know. Let that be a lesson learned. The only pics I have for reference are a couple of the toasted "before" pictures.

What's really throwing me is - Even though I have the manual and schematic of the wiring, I don't know how to differentiate between the two sets of wires when there are two of each color. Is there a simple way to tell which is which? They're all in the same bundle of wiring, so I am totally lost. Also, why do I have nine separate wires instead of only 8? Is one of these supposed to be looped?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

This is the map of J5 I found in an archived RGP thread:

Pin 9 wht/vio Playfield
pin 8 key
pin 7 wht/grn back box door
pin 6 wht/yel plfd & coin door
pin 5 wht/brn back box door

pin 4 wht/vio
pin 3 wht/grn
pin 2 wht/yel
pin 1 wht/brn all go to PS connector 8

pin 1 to 4 on PPB side is 6.3 vac IN
pin 5 to 9 on PPB side is Fused 6.3 vac out

burnt1.jpgburnt1.jpg
burnt2.jpgburnt2.jpg
repinned.jpgrepinned.jpg

#394 9 years ago

Very cool, nice job!!!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I had no contact info on my store! What a facepalm moment that was. I recently migrated the store and forgot to migrate that part

I have since added it.

I have also checked and corrected my stock quantities. I've only got enough backing pieces to make three more sets. I've reallocated those from blue to yellow. There are three yellow sets in stock now

Cheers!

#395 9 years ago

Feeling nostalgic reading this topic. I've owned one pinball, a JP I bought for $800 from some lady (whom I'm sure was selling it as a divorce settlement). Spent hours shopping it, repairing stuff, cleaning stuff, and just learning about how a pinball machine worked.

I didn't have room for it, so a relative kept it in their home. Didn't have to twist any arms, they loved it also.

And I lost it in a fire. Thankfully only property was lost (and it wasn't the machine's fault either!), but I never had the heart to ask for the insurance money for it. But I'll always love that machine, despite fighting that g-damn dino head to get it to pick up the ball.

IMO, an really underrated pinball game.

#396 9 years ago

Just an update, I think stangbat helped me get the information I needed for my connector issue. I will give it another go tonight using his suggestions and report back.

Edit: Yes! I got my connector problem solved thanks to stangbat's help, and the game is better than ever. I'm definitely going to be more careful this weekend when I redo the header pins and connectors on the power supply board.

Tomorrow I might take a picture of the wiring to J5 while I have the backbox open, since it seems to be a common point of failure and I couldn't find what I was looking for online. Hopefully it might be useful to someone else in the same situation as myself.

#397 9 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

There are three yellow sets in stock now
Cheers!

Well now there are 2. I've been thinking about getting this for awhile now but didn't want to spend the money because my machine wasn't running for awhile. It's "mostly" running now and I can't get the posts to look right no matter what I do, so I think these will work nicely. Order placed.

#398 9 years ago

I guess I missed out again....they appear to all be sold out.

#399 9 years ago

I bought them last fall, they really add something tot he game. My only comment is that 2 of 3 plastic pieces got "loose" where they were fastened and startet turning to the sides and falling off. I solved it by filling the hole with glue and sticking them on the metal bracket again.

But no complaints really, they look great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

There are 10,134 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.