Topic Stats

• 7,391 posts
  • 430 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by freshjive
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,751 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

77A714A2-CABB-417C-B1EB-527CF83FAEDA (resized).png
IMG_3421 (resized).JPG
IMG_3420 (resized).JPG
Jurassic Park 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3409.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG
CDDDA849-28D0-42C5-882F-205072E48765.png
JP_RightPlastic (resized).png
5831E7B9-CA96-4132-A036-326C7D667759 (resized).jpeg
CN2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200208_125257 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200205_202810 (resized).jpg
6922fe10c9ff164ec35923bc28a882171a5c40d7 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

57 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7391 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 148.
#1201 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have Titans on mine orange rings with the orange slings, I could never go back to black.
Not a great pic as they look red and not the vibrant orange they actually are, but you get the idea.

Those Titans sure look great! How far did you go? 100%, including post sleeves and flippers?

I'm curious...

#1202 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

How does one force the ball to stay on the wire crossover ramp? About 50% of the time, mine falls off. The culprit seems to be that there is too much space between the diverter and the plastic part of the ramp that cuts over to the wire form. At first I thought it was too much speed from the ball hitting the diverter, making it an un-even transfer. But I stiffened up the spring considerably to stop any unwanted movement from the diverter when hit, and still does it.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Makes me wonder why there wasn't some sort of edge catch on the wireform to stop that from happening.

Same happens on mine at high speeds.

#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

How does one force the ball to stay on the wire crossover ramp? About 50% of the time, mine falls off. The culprit seems to be that there is too much space between the diverter and the plastic part of the ramp that cuts over to the wire form. At first I thought it was too much speed from the ball hitting the diverter, making it an un-even transfer. But I stiffened up the spring considerably to stop any unwanted movement from the diverter when hit, and still does it.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Makes me wonder why there wasn't some sort of edge catch on the wireform to stop that from happening.

If you've got an iPhone 5s, 6 or 6s with slow-mo video (or access to someone who does) rig it up to film the trouble spot and try to capture it on slow-mo video. This has helped me to identify troubles I've had with Doctor Who and Addams Family.

#1205 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

How does one force the ball to stay on the wire crossover ramp?

I had the same problem with mine and it was two issues:

1) Incorrect flipper coils. Mine were too strong. I changed them to the coils recommended in the manual.

2) My transformer was incorrectly jumpered and was sending too much voltage to the coils.

Between these two issues my flippers were way too strong and balls would fly off the crossover.

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Those Titans sure look great! How far did you go? 100%, including post sleeves and flippers?
I'm curious...

I didn't go 100% I did the post sleeves across the top, I did the flippers in red, orange for the slings, star posts for the slings. I considered doing all the star post and rings in blue blue but wasn't sure the blue would match plastic. So I went with white rings and kept clear posts.

#1207 4 years ago

I'll have to check the coils to see if they were replaced with too strong of ones. The flippers do seem strong, but only after a standard rebuild. Before they seemed too weak. Coils themselves were left alone.

#1208 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I'll have to check the coils to see if they were replaced with too strong of ones. The flippers do seem strong, but only after a standard rebuild. Before they seemed too weak. Coils themselves were left alone.

Same thing started happening to me after a standard rebuild. Factory coils on mine.

#1209 4 years ago

Buying a JP tomorrow or sunday... Is the new code as good as they say? Brand new decals, very clean PF with some cliffy. $2.5k Sound good?

#1210 4 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Buying a JP tomorrow or sunday... Is the new code as good as they say? Brand new decals, very clean PF with some cliffy. $2.5k Sound good?

New code is great!

#1211 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

New code is great!

Sounds good... It will be my last pin. Dr. Who was going to be my last but managed room for one more... So... The collecting is about to end. "Unless I sell bad cats some day" lol

#1212 4 years ago

Has anyone modded JP to fit a colorDMD. They work, just have to make them fit. For example in tommy. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-in-a-de-tommyworks-awesome

I think JP would look good in Yellow and in tile mode.

#1213 4 years ago

The code isn't a huge change from the final code. Having said that, it clears up a lot of little issues and balances the game better. I love it because it eliminates all the little stuff that drove me nuts, but then again, I directly worked with Chad to rewrite it (my initials will show up in the number 2 spot when you install it), so I'm biased.

#1214 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

(my initials will show up in the number 2 spot when you install it

I'm working hard to get those off my machine. It was the name of my previous a-hole boss, and don't want to see his name on my machine.

#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I'm working hard to get those off my machine. It was the name of my previous a-hole boss, and don't want to see his name on my machine.

I was never your boss, I swear! Think of them as the guy who helped rewrite the code!

And then wipe them off anyway

#1216 4 years ago

It's a great update...multiball is much harder to get, egg mania is attainable and cool, no more "go go go go go go go go" EVERY time to start, randomized skill shot, points balancing so modes are better balanced (along with balancing of park revenue and mr DNA). It's the polish it always needed. Oh, and it finally activates the Last Action Hero preview and allows you to skip trex diagnostics on boot. Nice touch.

#1217 4 years ago

Thanks to fellow Pinsider PBFan there is now available a nicely formatted and printer friendly version of the Jurassic Park (and Tales From The Crypt) Change Log on my web site. You can find the link at the bottom of the Guide page for Jurassic Park.

http://www.pinballcode.com/

#1218 4 years ago

Quick question, probably trivial, but thought to ask vs blindly tinkering:

I replaced the tired old black rubbers on the two slingshots (they actually stiffly kept their shape upon removal ). I put fresh white silicone rubbers in their place. Frequently, when the slingshots kick a ball, they continue to KICK over and over all on their own. I am guessing the new flexible rubbers are recoiling back into the leaf switches causing the coil to fire.

I resume the adjustment is to back the leaf switches away from the rubbers a bit. Is this adjustment made above the playfield by deforming the leaves, or below adjusting the whole assy?

Just curious, want to do this right.

Thanks!

#1219 4 years ago

Just adjust the leaf switch gaps by slightly bending the rear leaves. The new rubbers, being tighter, have closed the gaps from what they were. Set the gaps according to your preference of sensitivity

#1220 4 years ago

Thanks! Should the front leaf be in contact with the rubber, or should there be a gap here too?

#1221 4 years ago

OK, slingshots working perfectly. :up:

Next up - the three pop bumpers on my JP are totally wimpy. They do function when manually pressed, but rarely seem to trigger when hit by the ball.

Are there adjustments to be made to these to bumpers to give them a little more life?

Thanks!

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

OK, slingshots working perfectly. :up:
Next up - the three pop bumpers on my JP are totally wimpy. They do function when manually pressed, but rarely seem to trigger when hit by the ball.
Are there adjustments to be made to these to bumpers to give them a little more life?
Thanks!

Replace the pop bumper spoons with Williams pop bumper spoons. Data East ones are shaped more like a V than a U making it harder for the initial move to trigger the pop. Williams ones do it right.

This hack should be done on every Data East machine. I've been suggesting it for years, as it will change the experience of any DE machine.

Which reminds me, I need to do that to my TFTC.

#1223 4 years ago

I concur! In the meantime adjust the leaf switches on those too. And yes th front leaves should rest against the slingshot rubbers. It's the rear switch that you adjust.

#1224 4 years ago

Just brought home the JP. I was in a rush and I failed to check if the T-Rex works.. Arg... When I boot the machine it says please check T-rex switches. Everything seems to be in order. HAs anyone had this issue before?

#1225 4 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I concur! In the meantime adjust the leaf switches on those too.

Adjusting the pops on DE machines can only get you so far. The resistance caused by the different spoon design makes them much less responsive. It's honestly one of the few reasons I think that DE machines get a bad rep, as B/W titles always make the pops feel so darn powerful and fast, while DE machines always feel ploddy and clunky in the pops (because the ball REALLY has to slam around in there for it to trigger the switch and make it "pop"). My friend Don told me this hack like 10 years ago when I got my JP, and I changed them and was blown away by what a change it made to how the entire game played.

So anyway, adjust the leaf switches, but if / when it doesn't seem like it's working, find some B/W spoons and toss them on there. I bought 20 of them at Gene's when he was selling all his stuff for like $2 total, and it is BY FAR the best mod that I've done on all my DE titles. Except TFTC #2, which needs 'em.

Just brought home the JP. I was in a rush and I failed to check if the T-Rex works.. Arg... When I boot the machine it says please check T-rex switches. Everything seems to be in order. HAs anyone had this issue before?

Go into the menu, put it in T-Rex diagnostics and watch to see if it is hitting all the switches properly. If left / right isn't working (pretty common), you can just turn that off for time being.

#1226 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Go into the menu, put it in T-Rex diagnostics and watch to see if it is hitting all the switches properly. If left / right isn't working (pretty common), you can just turn that off for time being.

Top Switch and Left Switch is on. And the rest are off. Also, the T-rex doesnt adjust when you turn on the machine.

When I pull the trigger the jaw test works. but up/down and left/right just make a buz sound like the motor cant move. I use the left and right flipper buttons for that test and nothing.

#1227 4 years ago

Top Switch and Left Switch is on. And the rest are off. Also, the T-rex doesnt adjust when you turn on the machine.
When I pull the trigger the jaw test works. but up/down and left/right just make a buz sound like the motor cant move. I use the left and right flipper buttons for that test and nothing.

Depending on how you bought it from your sell, I would...

Email the seller and just say, "hey, I got this home and the T-Rex isn't working. Any tips on what might have gone wrong?"

For me, I always feel like if it is working or I don't check it before I leave, it's on me. I will contact people like that sometimes because a lot of games have "personalities" and the same stuff goes bad, so they might have insight. Once in a while, a seller will offer to come help fix it or whatever - I had one seller who I bought a game from come to my house and repair it with me for like three hours for something small, and I told him multiple times not to, but he said that he wanted to make it right.

Regardless, I'd start there, and if that doesn't do anything come back here and ask. I can't run mine through diagnostics right now. The baby is asleep and wakes up for practically everything, so testing JP is out

#1228 4 years ago

He is a fellow pinsider. It is my fault, I was just in a rush. I did not confirm that the T-rex worked before I left. I already txted him. He said it worked. In this case, it is my fault and now I need to figure out how to fix it.

-It seems like the T-rex is locked up. It is trying to turn or lower, it just cant. Like something is restricting it from moving.

#1229 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

ok, start button I get him to drop.. left and right flippers he wont turn. just the buzz.

#1230 4 years ago

I am not use to DE settings. How do I turn that off? start button?

It's in the game adjustments somewhere I believe.

#1231 4 years ago

He is a fellow pinsider. It is my fault, I was just in a rush. I did not confirm that the T-rex worked before I left. I already txted him. He said it worked. In this case, it is my fault and now I need to figure out how to fix it.
-It seems like the T-rex is locked up. It is trying to turn or lower, it just cant. Like something is restricting it from moving.

So in the t-rex diagnostic menu you can't get it to move at all with the buttons? Flipper buttons are left/right, start button is up/down (only goes in one direction and goes up and down in the full rotation of the up/down motor), and trigger is biting.

For the left/right motion there is a left switch, center switch, and right switch. For the up/down motion there is an up switch and a down switch.

Use the controls to get the t-rex into every extreme. Every one of these switches should be showing as activated when the t-rex is in the respective position.

#1232 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

So anyway, adjust the leaf switches, but if / when it doesn't seem like it's working, find some B/W spoons and toss them on there. I bought 20 of them at Gene's when he was selling all his stuff for like $2 total, and it is BY FAR the best mod that I've done on all my DE titles.

I'll get the B/W spoons on order. In the meantime, I did tweak the leaf springs ever so slightly. The pops came to life immediately. There is now great action when the ball gets into the pops triangle. What a difference. I'm very happy with this adjustment, If the new spoons add to this, then it will all be gravy.

Thanks for the guidance!

#1233 4 years ago

Right now, LEFT SWITCH is "ON" everything else is off. I am able to get him to bite, go up and down but it is "stuck" in the left. The LEFT switch is stuck "ON" it almost acts like it is literally STUCK in the left position. The left and right buttons trigger but it wont move to buz. If I touch the switches, they all work.

#1234 4 years ago

Trust me, it's incredible the difference.

#1235 4 years ago

Right now, LEFT SWITCH is "ON" everything else is off. I am able to get him to bite, go up and down but it is "stuck" in the left. The LEFT switch is stuck "ON" it almost acts like it is literally STUCK in the left position. The left and right buttons trigger but it wont move to buz. If I touch the switches, they all work.

Is the t-rex actually in the left position? If so, that's why the switch is on. The question is why won't it move...
Is there a constant grinding sound? Like maybe is the motor locked on to where it's always moving left even when it hits the extreme?

With the game off, you should be able to grab and force the t-rex to the right. Maybe try that and turn it back on and see if anything happens.

I had an issue where left or right was locked on and it was due to a bad transistor on the driver board.

#1236 4 years ago

He is in the LEFT position currently. I tried to move it to the right before and it was locked tight.

#1237 4 years ago

ok. update.... I moved him to the right like you said... Turn machine on.. go to settings. and he ONLY goes left and wont go right. Regardless of left or right flipper. They BOTH go left.

#1238 4 years ago

He is in the LEFT position currently. I tried to move it to the right before and it was locked tight.

Even with the game off?

That probably means something's binding. There's quite a bit involved in the t-rex mech, but one simple thing to do is unscrew the metal plate with foliage decals on it in front of the t-rex held on by two screws. That will allow you to see the left/center/right switches. Maybe that will release the tension, too.

#1239 4 years ago

nope. updated... I turn him to the right... but then via settings both flippers he ONLY goes left. Not R/L.

#1240 4 years ago

ok. update.... I moved him to the right like you said... Turn machine on.. go to settings. and he ONLY goes left and wont go right. Regardless of left or right flipper. They BOTH go left.

Ok. Does it go left even if you're not hitting the left button? As in, you force it to the right, turn on the game and it's always moving left?

I think there are 2 things that could be happening:
1. If it is always moving left, it may be due to a bad transistor. I would think you'd hear constant griding, though because if it's locked on, it's never going to stop even when it hits the left switch and is told to stop.
2. Something is keeping the right motion from working. Perhaps a loose connector or something. Check the connector on the relay board near the t-rex under the pf.

I will say that I had case #1 happening on my game, but it would still move the right when I hit the right flipper button, it's just that it would always immediately move left again and grind at the left extreme, so that may not be your issue.

#1241 4 years ago

When I turn on the game he doesnt do anything. I only get him to move when I am in settings. When I press either flipper he moves left. When I let go he stops.

#1242 4 years ago

Ok just downloaded the PDF manual. ok, in manual... "Top switch must indicate "ON" in order for rotate to function. My top switch is "off".

#1243 4 years ago

When I turn on the game he doesnt do anything. I only get him to move when I am in settings. When I press either flipper he moves left. When I let go he stops.

Ok, so even the right flipper makes it move left?

That might point to an issue with the relay... Maybe it's not clicking over or maybe it's locked on to where it's always moving left.

Page 48 in the manual gives the schematics of the bidirectional relay.

#1244 4 years ago

Ok just downloaded the PDF manual. ok, in manual... "Top switch must indicate "ON" in order for rotate to function. My top switch is "off".

It'll still rotate in manual diagnostics. At least mine does.

In the t-rex diagnostics menu, does the UP switch activate when you push in the start button and it goes up/down? It should activate at a certain point when the t-rex is up. At that point you'd just let go of the button to keep it in the upright position.

#1245 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

It'll still rotate in manual diagnostics. At least mine does.
In the t-rex diagnostics menu, does the UP switch activate when you push in the start button and it goes up/down? It should activate at a certain point when the t-rex is up. At that point you'd just let go of the button to keep it in the upright position.

ahh yes. I moved him back up and we are set to on. And same situation. RIGHT FLIPPER = left rotation.

#1246 4 years ago

HE is suppose to adjust when you turn on the machine right? He only moves in settings.

EDIT::: Correction.. If I move him to the right. Turn machine on.. he just moves to the left all the way.

#1247 4 years ago

HE is suppose to adjust when you turn on the machine right? He only moves in settings.

If it's not sensing the switches it expects, it will stop the test and indicate that you should check switches. It may be trying to move right and not sensing the right switch so it gives up.

I'd focus on the relay board. Check the connectors going to it and maybe tap the relay to see if it un-sticks something. It should be a small board under the pf near the t-rex. I can't recall without looking at it, but I think there are 2 relay boards down there. One is for left/right motion and I think the other is for the shaker motor.

#1248 4 years ago

edited: see below.

#1249 4 years ago

I just disabled T-REX LEFT/RIGHT. However, I can never feed him? No matter what I do, I can not get T-rex to eat it just pops out of the padlock every time. I am new to the game, am I just missing something? Or if I disable L/R it wont eat or is my T-REX dead? Or should I say extinct.

As well, T-Rex will not cycle-adjust on boot. For example, if I go in settings and move the head down. Turn the machine off/on his head just stays in that position. Never moves and never eats a ball.

I read from another thread "Bad Transistor 2N3904 on CN8 pin 5, Q51" He had an issue where he could move his head in settings but it would never it in game. However, he did not have issues where LEFT was stuck.

BTW... Thank you for your time and help I greatly appreciate it.

#1250 4 years ago

I just disabled T-REX LEFT/RIGHT. However, I can never feed him? No matter what I do, I can not get T-rex to eat it just pops out of the padlock every time. I am new to the game, am I just missing something? Or if I disable L/R it wont eat or is my T-REX dead? Or should I say extinct.
As well, T-Rex will not cycle-adjust on boot. For example, if I go in settings and move the head down. Turn the machine off/on his head just stays in that position. Never moves and never eats a ball.
I read from another thread "Bad Transistor 2N3904 on CN8 pin 5, Q51" He had an issue where he could move his head in settings but it would never it in game. However, he did not have issues where LEFT was stuck.
BTW... Thank you for your time and help I greatly appreciate it.

Are you sure the Trex is centered and the center switch is ON? Trex will not move up/down and eat the ball unless the center switch is on.

The Trex is a finicky son of a gun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
League City, TX
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 7391 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 148.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside