Topic Stats

• 7,579 posts
  • 439 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 minutes ago by J-Freeze
  • Topic is favorited by 187 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,807 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

JP Gate.gif
IMG_3709.JPG
IMG_3708.JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
4C5F7814-94C1-4047-BB53-58BD75EFB26B (resized).jpeg
C20DFB53-BAC1-45BA-B228-573FD06D5FF8 (resized).jpeg
Photo_-_Google_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_3693 (resized).JPG
IMG_3695.JPG
IMG_3692.JPG
IMG_3690.JPG
IMG_3691.JPG
20200325_154014 (resized).jpg
20200325_154043 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

58 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7579 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 152.
#1001 4 years ago

Donated and will be contacting our local eprom guru for download. Then the hard part is getting JP back from my son's place to play in my games room!

#1002 4 years ago

For those who have the new code, how are your game scores? Higher, lower, about the same?

#1003 4 years ago

I like the touch he added when the ball kicks out of the bunker scoop. The corresponding CHAOS letter for that scoop (C) will flash before the ball is kicked out. Much like the lightning bolt flashers in Addams Family. Very nice!

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

For those who have the new code, how are your game scores? Higher, lower, about the same?

I'll need some time on the machine before I can fully answer that, but by looking at the code I'd say your scores on a great game should be higher, but you will also have fewer great games because tri-ball is no longer guaranteed to be lit on the third ball. You could have a terrible game for two balls, but if you complete Feed T-Rex, twin Jackpots, CHAOS, CHAOS, Feed T-Rex, and twin Super Jackpots on the third ball you're going to have a solid score. 12 shots is tough, but with a smart missile you essentially have to complete just two shots to then have two opportunities at completing one of the CHAOS modes. The smart missile can be used to take care of the other one of them. From there it's two more shots for the Super Jackpot. In my opinion that WAS the best strategy for high scores.

Now the increased difficulty of starting tri-ball combined with the increased scoring opportunity of the other modes make other strategies more viable. Like all good codes one of the most important things is to have a balance of risk / reward. In my opinion Chad's new code certainly strikes a better balance between the other strategies.

PS: For those really counting my shot count, I'm not counting the "H" as a shot since it would be nearly impossible to not collect it on the auto launch(es).

#1005 4 years ago

I'm hoping it goes up, I still struggle to break 200m most games lol.

I definitely need to spend more time playing

#1006 4 years ago

anyone have any info on raptor coil kicker/connections?

manual page ref?

#1007 4 years ago

I need similar help with my raptor pit coil. I was having so many issues I finally just replace my MPU board. That fixed all of my issues, however in the process my raptor pit coil stopped functioning (previously that was working fine).

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I need similar help with my raptor pit coil. I was having so many issues I finally just replace my MPU board. That fixed all of my issues, however in the process my raptor pit coil stopped functioning (previously that was working fine).

I did a quick skim of manual on line but did not see it....Ill go back over it

#1009 4 years ago

Don't forget to check the PPB Board. That where my issue was with my VUK problem.

#1010 4 years ago

I actually have a new PPB board, but I haven't opened it yet. I originally though that was the problem, but while that was being shipped I was able to trace the problems to the transistors on the MPU board. That's not to say there couldn't be a problem on the PPB board too, but it seems unlikely that a new problem would occur at the exact moment a new MPU board was installed. I'm hoping I can still send the unopened PPB back minus a 15% restocking fee.

PS: Would anyone be interested in buying my old MPU board. I'm pretty sure the issue is in the transistors. I just don't have the soldering skill to fix it myself and wanted the problem corrected. I had previously received this board from someone who claimed it was 100% working.

#1011 4 years ago

My VUK affected my MPU board and the PPB Board. Everybody kept saying to check the transistors on the MPU board, but never mentioned anything on the PPB Board. I fixed the issue with the MPU board, but was still blowing fuses. I looked at the schematics and saw that the VUk also had some stuff on the PPB board. Replaced those parts, and all was working. So you may have issues on both boards.

Don't rule it out just yet.

#1012 4 years ago

Has anyone thought about getting a PinSound for their JP?

Both the mono output and ultra low quality samples really do the machine and Jurassic Park IP a disservice. It'd immediately improve sound, plus if enough people had one and were willing to contribute, there's obviously a huge number of high sample rate music, voice and sound effect clips that could be added easily from the movie(s) that could replace some of the stock sounds.

I'm really considering one, once I have the posts installed on playfield, trough switch fixed, LEDs installed and new ROM.

I feel like PinSound with new samples and ColorDMD support would improve Jurassic Park so, so much.

P.S. On the topic of low quality samples .. what the hell is the voice saying when you shoot the raptor with the gun trigger when launching the ball? Operation something? It's unintelligible to me.

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

P.S. On the topic of low quality samples .. what the hell is the voice saying when you shoot the raptor with the gun trigger when launching the ball? Operation something? It's unintelligible to me.

"Thumpers ready." Meaning that you've hit the raptor and that the thumpers ('DE speak' for pop bumpers) are ready for higher scores. If you miss the raptor, you don't get the callout or the bonus points.

We played a DESW at the Atlanta Expo this year that had the PinSound in it, and it sounded great. We've had to spend too much on boards to get our JP running this year, but the next big upgrade will be the PinSound in it. Currently husband has replaced the backbox speakers with high-end car stereo speakers and direct hooked up a powered sub, so it sounds really good until we can improve more.

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

"Thumpers ready." Meaning that you've hit the raptor and that the thumpers ('DE speak' for pop bumpers) are ready for higher scores.
We played a DESW at the Atlanta Expo this year that had the PinSound in it, and it sounded great. We've had to spend too much on boards to get our JP running this year, but the next big upgrade will be the PinSound in it. Currently husband has replaced the backbox speakers with high-end car stereo speakers and direct hooked up a powered sub, so it sounds really good until we can improve more.

LOL. I'd never have been able to discern that in a thousand years.

Be good if we could rustle up a few more potential adopters, then we could share the work of finding new samples. I assume you're using speakers at the same rated wattage and impedance? Also assume until you get a PinSound board you're still running monoaural?

#1015 4 years ago

Husband isn't around right now to verify, but I assume that you're right. Nothing was changed on the machine except the speakers themselves. He upgraded/subbed LAH and Frankenstein as well, but JP was the biggest difference in sound quality, I think mainly from the deep bass from the sub. "Feed T Rex" rocks.

#1016 4 years ago

Anyone else completely obsessed with this pin as much as I am? heh. No. Okay.

Just the perfect storm of what I grew up with. I could see myself obsessed with a different pin if that's all that I had to play at out local arcade.

But had been thinking that since my Shop job is pretty much done, I kinda want to shop out another one (another JP that is), but only push it even further. Like High End Pin further. Like strip the whole playfield front and back. Polish, tumble, replace everything. Make it as new as possible.

Now that I have my one to play, thought it'd be fun to restore another one and take my time.

And I'm guessing this is how the pinball addition starts.

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

It is a great time to be a Jurassic Park owner. Lots of new excitement with all these mods around this game.

#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I miss mine every time I walk into my garage to play pinball. I enjoy it just as much as TAF (despite being regarded as the 'poor-mans TAF') and I think it has a way better multiball.

One day, when I've got enough money to keep games, I'll buy a super nice JP and never let it go.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I enjoy it just as much as TAF (despite being regarded as the 'poor-mans TAF') and I think it has a way better multiball.

The theme killed TAF for me. The same arcade that had JP had a TAF right next to it. I played a few games on it, but never cared for it. But I was all about Jurassic Park at that time too. Still am.

But it wasn't until Pinball Arcade came out with their TAF before I realize that it is very similar to JP in terms of layout.

#1020 4 years ago

Here's an interesting JP on ebay.
ebay.com link » Jurassic Park Data East 1992 Huo Machine

Few things. At first glance, it says it's HUO. But seems that there's been some repairs to it. Speaker Grills aren't OEM. Pop bumper caps aren't OEM. It's missing the right side plastic guard just above the VUK.

But one thing that stands out is that it say "1 Smart Bomb Per Game." Bomb. Missile is the common one. There was a guy selling a NOS playfield that says Smart Bomb. Said he confirmed that it was a later production playfield.

But there's other stuff with the playfield that look too much like they were on purpose. And was wondering if this later production made these changes.

The posts around the slingshots are all metal. This one seems to have added the right outlane post. The right wireform actually has an OEM mounted plate with a hole in it to mount rubber too. I say OEM, because I don't see any messy weld marks, and it looks straight. There is a post infront of the left Egg Post in front of the TRex. (which would completely block the ball from feeding trex after hitting the egg. I love that shot.) And the playfield art of the Jurassic Park sign in front of the ramp isn't covered up by the ramp guide.

Just find it curious. Was this a really late JP, and they ran out of parts and threw this one together? Love that the wireform has a stopper on it, instead of just the two prongs. Just seems a bit odd some of the changes that were made.

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Here's an interesting JP on ebay.
ebay.com link » Jurassic Park Data East 1992 Huo Machine
Few things. At first glance, it says it's HUO. But seems that there's been some repairs to it. Speaker Grills aren't OEM. Pop bumper caps aren't OEM. It's missing the right side plastic guard just above the VUK.
But one thing that stands out is that it say "1 Smart Bomb Per Game." Bomb. Missile is the common one. There was a guy selling a NOS playfield that says Smart Bomb. Said he confirmed that it was a later production playfield.
But there's other stuff with the playfield that look too much like they were on purpose. And was wondering if this later production made these changes.
The posts around the slingshots are all metal. This one seems to have added the right outlane post. The right wireform actually has an OEM mounted plate with a hole in it to mount rubber too. I say OEM, because I don't see any messy weld marks, and it looks straight. There is a post infront of the left Egg Post in front of the TRex. (which would completely block the ball from feeding trex after hitting the egg. I love that shot.) And the playfield art of the Jurassic Park sign in front of the ramp isn't covered up by the ramp guide.
Just find it curious. Was this a really late JP, and they ran out of parts and threw this one together? Love that the wireform has a stopper on it, instead of just the two prongs. Just seems a bit odd some of the changes that were made.

Seller is not being truthful or doesn't know. He's reached out to me a number of times and I told him no. It's not HUO in fact he's tried to sell it numerous times all on diff websites yet refuses to drop the price to anything realistic. That being said, even if he did the seller is not hones and I wouldn't buy.

#1022 4 years ago

His right wire form is different than mine as well. Always wished I could add a rubber stop, so it doesn't shoot out the side and over the sling plastic.

And how in the world do you make the trex shot with that post. Seems like it'd be near impossible.

14441650423201318250506.jpg

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

And how in the world do you make the trex shot with that post. Seems like it'd be near impossible.

I imagine it was a commercial machine and the operator added it to rig the game and keep play time short. That or someone assumed that there should be another post to 'match' the one on the left.

#1024 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It is a great time to be a Jurassic Park owner. Lots of new excitement with all these mods around this game.

You can make a pretty pimped out JP at this point. Too bad it'll cost you almost $1,000 to do it.

#1025 4 years ago

Regarding the raptor coil and corresponding transistors, check my thread:https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-need-dire-help-with-transistor-burn-due-to-raptor-coil

#1026 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

You can make a pretty pimped out JP at this point. Too bad it'll cost you almost $1,000 to do it.

Add another $400 to that once ColorDMD hopefully supports it

You'd expect with new code and all the mods available, value of the table won't be heading South any time soon.

#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

His right wire form is different than mine as well. Always wished I could add a rubber stop, so it doesn't shoot out the side and over the sling plastic.

I have this problem. Does anyone have a solution?

#1028 4 years ago

Thanks Edenecho what pages in manual cover raptor coil? Thanks

#1029 4 years ago

A heads-up for anyone who has been interested in getting my Scoop Light Mod, I'm running a celebratory 'Code Update Sale' with $5 off and $5 donation to Pinside for each order (I wanted to donate to ChadH but he requested to donate to Pinside instead).

Main thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-jp-code-loop-combo-mod-is-on-sale-donation-to-pinside

Discount-Ad.jpg

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

. Does anyone have a solution?

I put post rubbers on my prongs. They hold there placement. Also stops balls from bouncing out over the right slingshot instead of going down the lane.

#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I put post rubbers on my prongs. They hold there placement. Also stops balls from bouncing out over the right slingshot instead of going down the lane.

How far up/down

#1032 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Thanks Edenecho what pages in manual cover raptor coil? Thanks

Should be bottom half of page 31.

#1033 4 years ago

Awesome idea. I'll have to give that a go.

#1034 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I have this problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Tweak (bend) the two wireforms so that they knock the ball down to the inlane instead of back and over the plastic. I had this problem too and once I bent them it has never been an issue again.

#1035 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I might qualify as obsessed!

I've devoted so much time to the improved t-rex that sometimes I need to take breaks from the game, but I always love it when I play again.

#1036 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Just the perfect storm of what I grew up with. I could see myself obsessed with a different pin if that's all that I had to play at out local arcade.
But had been thinking that since my Shop job is pretty much done, I kinda want to shop out another one (another JP that is), but only push it even further. Like High End Pin further. Like strip the whole playfield front and back. Polish, tumble, replace everything. Make it as new as possible.
Now that I have my one to play, thought it'd be fun to restore another one and take my time.
And I'm guessing this is how the pinball addition starts.

I'll let you shop mine out High End Pin-style, if you're really itchin' for such a task.

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

14441650423201318250506.jpg

I added a zip tie to stop that.

#1038 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Nope, really early one - probably one of the first production prototypes. Check out the flyer and you'll find the same bumper caps, same "Smart Bomb" message on the playfield, and same ramp stopper.

That doesn't make it worth what he's asking for it, but it may make his story more legit. Often, those weren't sold and they would have made it before the speakers had the right grills probably too. It's not an early game though, as I'd love to see what one of those was supposed to look like. I almost bought a NOS proto playfield for a JP years ago... heh, actually just found my post about it on RGP:

"I saw a little about this before, but I am really wondering about it. On eBay recently, a JP prototype playfield was sold. You can see it here:

ebay.com link » Data East Nos Jurassic Park Pinball Playfield

I really like Jurassic Park, so I was watching it to see what it sold for. It ended up out of my range, but I still found the differences fascinating. Among the most important ones:

- The Raptor Kickback is a curvy shot with a hole at the end -- it looks like it would kick out into the orbit like the Whirlwind under ramp thing.
- There are three Raptor claw signs in front of the Raptor... path.
- There are different modes, specifically Nedry Collect Embryo and Mr. DNA

I know that there are some changes that always occur between prototype and production, but at least the first one with the Raptor path seems to be pretty major. There are a lot of records about Tommy and it's original six pop bumpers -- were any Jurassic Park's ever built like this, and if so, how does the Raptor path function. Does anyone else have one of these proto playfields? If you won it and are on the group, could you send me a picture when you get it? )"

And don't worry, I've been obsessed with JP for years too, and I know the game inside and out. I'm pretty good at setting high scores on games too

#1039 4 years ago

Wow that is very interesting. I'd like to see a photo of that proto playfield.

#1040 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I know the game inside and out.

Understatement.

The amount of knowledge Dan has about JP amazed me. His insight into the rules helped me immensely. Dan and I talked about most every aspect of the JP ruleset down to the minor details. Bouncing rule change ideas back and forth. I knew that if a change I made was approved by Dan then it was a good change. Many times I'd offer up a suggestion like "what if I change x to y" and often he'd come back with "how about it be y+z instead?" Dan was my reality check and ultimately the patch is as good as it is thanks to his guidance.

You can also thank his son for the fact that Shoot Again now flashes with the 10 second Ball Save at the start of each ball.

#1041 4 years ago

Aw, thanks Chad I was being a bit cagey about helping and I don't know why but I appreciated being able to help! I think that JP is one of the best games ever as is, and getting to tweak just a few small things on it to make it even better (like the skill shot, which is now AWESOME!) was an experience I am always going to be glad that I was part of.

It's also the reason that there are two TFTCs sitting over here right now... but, before anyone asks, I already sold the other one Now that the code update it out, it'll probably inflate to $10k by Christmas!

#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

How far up/down

About centered. They are the Super Bands Brand. I think I have the rounded part facing down. So that if anything, when the ball hits it, it at least pushes it up if it moves. Instead of down and eventually off. But after about 150 plays, it looks like they are still in the exact same spot.

Just do a trial and error. Drop the ball down the wireform, and see how it bounces off. Make sure to add a little speed to it to be more accurate.

#1043 4 years ago

Does anyone have a link to the correct screw for fastening the JP topper to the backbox?

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Does anyone have a link to the correct screw for fastening the JP topper to the backbox?

Think they were just ordinary wood screws. 1/2 in length maybe. Mine were still screwed into the top when they took the topper off.

#1045 4 years ago

guys - any cheaper alternative to the egg replacement than this?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1293

#1046 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

nope, thats the way to go

#1047 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That is actually a pretty darn good price for a ceramic Powerball (aka egg replacement).

Gord

#1048 4 years ago

Is the egg captive ball supposed to be ceramic? I never knew that.

#1049 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

No, the powerball is just a mod

#1050 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

No. But it looks way better when it is.

I actually prefer an older, used, and slightly discolored ceramic one... looks even more like an egg.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 7579 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 152.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside