Ok. So ghosting issue was due to light from the adjacent target. Sheesh. Been waiting for bulbs to come in for a week to finish this up so I could call it done. I think tonight I'm going to staple a business card between the two inserts to block the light.
I took a look at all the connections around the scoop to see if I could see a short. I didn't find anything for certain, but did see on one switch, one of the wires was literally hanging on by a thread. I barely had to touch it, and it snapped clean off. So I resoldered that back on. So hopefully that may have been it. Because I see nothing else.
Tonight I'm adding a couple palm trees, waxing the playfield, putting the glass back on, and shoving it into its corner, where I hope that I won't have to open it back up for a while.