Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b9afc27d14a5aa5a59744da5be5c8908a2bdd9e4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindelapin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Thanks.
    Q4 and Q5 buzzed, so thinking that they're shorted. And this is assuming I tested correctly.
    So when I did power up at my house for the first time after buying it, all kinds of things were funny.. DMD, shaker motor went off like crazy, etc. The only thing I found was a T Rex switch wire had come loose and was somewhat touching the same switches OTHER lug. I fixed that and a lot of things got better..
    I'm wondering if just replacing those two transistors would fix things. I'd HATE to have to go through and remove all diodes from coils and test them. I'd rather just replace the Q4 and Q5 and hope things work.
    THOUGHTS? Also a source for tip36c? Marco has them at appx $4 each! GPE is out.

1st thought is just replacing random things and hoping they solve the problem is generally a poor way to go about solving the problem.
    2nd thought is that I too would tend to agree with ThePinballCo-op that its either a diode or a loose solder connection.
    3rd thought.. Slow Down. Perfectly understandable to have a new game and wanna play it. Go over that switch matrix and look for the common denominator. Go back over those connections very slowly and methodically especially the ones associated with the raptor pit. Make sure you have your meter set to diode mode snd test those diodes.
    It is very possible your loose t-rex wire shorted out those transistors if it was grounded when you powered up the machine. If you feel strongly that its a board issue send it to Chris Hibler. All headers would be reflowed and nvram installed if not already and will be better than new.
    Just my 2 cents!

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'd have to remove a diode leg to test I believe. Or can they be tested while still attached to the coil (I don't think they can).?
    Does it sound like the way I tested the transistors seem right?

Ask 5 people you will get 5 different responses as to the wrong vs right way to do something. Heres mine. Make sure your machine is powered OFF before testing. Place the black MM lead on the banded diode leg and red on other end and you should see .4 to .6 on your MM. I personally do not cut the leads I don't see a need to do that since you are testing resistance between 2 points on either side of the diode. Again 5 people will give 5 different techniques and their way is undoubtedly the only correct way so take this for whst its worth.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

You can't test a coil diode while installed, the coil is nearly a short and is going to conduct current in either direction thereby making your test invalid. Switch diodes are another story.

Im referring to the raptor switch not the coil. Thought the OP stated the raptor switch was reporting error.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindelapin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-blowing-f5-on-ppb-board?tu=pindelapin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.