Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b9afc27d14a5aa5a59744da5be5c8908a2bdd9e4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Picked up a new JP which worked fine at sellers. Loaded up into my truck and got it home. It is now blowing ppb F5.

You can start a game after trex goes
    Through start up diagnostics (is this normal to occur every startup?).

I ran diagnostics and all switches work but the following coils do not (maybe because F5 is blown)
    —relay motor on/off #15
    —relay motor up/down #14
    —raptor pit coil 50v #9
    —right VUK 50v #5L
    —auto launch 50v #3L

I also notice that when I hit the flippers, either fires the raptor coil but NOT the flippers. This occurs during a game and also during attract mode. Not sure how that’s happening.

I need help!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from MMGB:

My first thought is your 5v power is low, causing your MPU to boot slowly. On DE machines, I’ve seen this happen and it blows F5 because the MPU holds a signal for the driver circuit too long during boot. Using the test points on your power supply, test for the 5v supply (dc). If you’re a little low, that may be your problem.
    If 5v is okay, disconnect the output of the ppb board and see if the fuse blows then. If it does, you have a problem on the ppb board.

I’m sorry, but which connector on the ppb is the output?

#5 5 years ago

I pulled J7 and fuse didn’t blow.

Now what?

It’s strange because the only thing was the moving of the pin into my truck and the driving home. The head was lowered but the pin was never put upright.

#6 5 years ago

bump. Anyone?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Did you check the 5V as mmgb suggested?

Not quite sure how and was thinking it's fine as it was working perfectly at sellers house. Isn't a lack of 5v mean bad capacitors? I don't know how they'd go bad by just moving the pin.

Can you refresh my memory and let me know how to test the 5v? What setting on MM and where to probe..

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

You'd need a multimeter to check the 5V, if you have one we can give you instructions on checking it. The power at your house could be lower than at the sellers or something else could have caused it to be lower (it's not missing or the game wouldn't boot at all), shit happens when you move games. Another option is to put a breaker in place of F5 (instructions for doing that are in a thread here somewhere) or just put a new fuse in and try to determine if you have a coil locking on when the game boots up, just be ready to turn it back off IMMEDIATELY. You may have to turn it on and off quickly a few times to figure out which one it is.
    I'd also do a quick once-over on all the connectors in the backbox, maybe one was pulled loose or partially loose when the backbox was lowered.

Thanks. I do know how to use a multimeter, I just haven't in awhile as I've been out of the hobby a bit.

I think testing the 5v goes like this: Game on, MM to DC volts (larger than 5), black lead on the ground test point on PS, and red lead on another actual test point. Does this sound correct?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Have you checked all wires if there is no shorting because of wires touching also check the leafswitches were the wires are soldered if nothings shorting.
    Download a manual at ipdb and look at the switch matrix

I have visually inspected everything, and only found one of the trex switch wires had come loose. I resoldered it, which brought back his function, so I think that is just collateral to my issues with F5. Although that switch wire WAS close to the other lug on the same switch.

I am going to check 5v at lunch. My thoughts are there has got to be a short somewhere. All I did was lower the backbox and drive her home. The only coil that is hard to see is the raptor kick as it's under a bunch of plastics. Any way to get at it easily?

I'll post results of 5v in about an hour.

#15 5 years ago

Just confirmed 5v is good on power board.

Thoughts going forward? And what are “relay motor up/down & on/off”?

#17 5 years ago

That’s what I’m checking for now. But I can’t get to the raptor coil as it’s under a ton of plastic. Ugh

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

And also look on the upper side of pf
    At the ramps by gate and top left on ramp

Is there a way to access the raptor coil without basically pulling the ramp?

#22 5 years ago

All the switches work fine in diagostics, except pressing the flipper buttons activates the raptor. And of course, F5 is blowing as I mentioned, taking out the 50v coils I listed up top. Is there a way to unplug one connector at a time from the PPB board to see what connector line is cause the short?

Except the raptor pit, I've inspected pretty much all switches and diodes I believe on the underside of the pf. I'll do the top later tonight.. and try to get to the raptor pit area.

#24 5 years ago

Anybody know what these are in coil test:

—relay motor on/off #15
    —relay motor up/down #14

I'm assuming the t rex movements?

#25 5 years ago

So that ppb fuse F5 only blows when ppb J8 is connected. If it’s not connected, it doesn’t blow.

Help!

#26 5 years ago

Bump

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

It looks like J8 on the PPB powers the following:
    Auto Launch
    Raptor Pit
    Right VUK
    Shaker Motor
    I think you may have a wire on one of these mechs that is causing a short. You need to carefully review the wiring for these 4 mechs. Perhaps a wire from one of these mechs is arcing because it is too close to some adjacent metal.
    Gord

I’ve inspected these except then raptor. You can’t get to it without removing trex.

#30 5 years ago

Just was able to get to raptor coil and it’s fine.

Stumped here.

#31 5 years ago

Something to note:

F5 blows unless J8 is disconnected.

With J8 disconnected and F5 with a good fuse, the flippers work without firing raptor pit coil.

With J8 connected and F5 blown, flippers don’t work but their switch triggers raptor pit coil.

Anyone? Is there a way to confirm issue is on playfield or on a board?

#32 5 years ago

Any other ideas?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Shot in the dark, but have you checked the associated transistor(s) to see if they are bad.

The game worked fine at sellers but I suppose something could now be wrong with them.

You’re talking about the tip36s on the PPB, correct? Not quite sure how to
    Test them.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I'm still going with a loose/disconnected wire. LTG told me I had a loose wire and I checked them all.... found nothing. 3 days later I checked again and looked closer. I'll be damned, there it was under the VUK, a loose wire that was touching a screw. Not sure how I missed it before.
    I think you got the same issue. And if it's not a loose wire, it's a bad connector.

Possibly. But I’ve checked a ton

Guys: I just tested the tip36 transistors on the ppb. I did RED lead of MM to tab, and black to outer leg of transistor. Granted board is installed but Q4 and Q5 buzzed, whereas the other tip36s on the board did not.

Can I assume they're shorted?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

The reason why I suggested the transistor is because when I sold my tftc, everything was working when it left my house, but when seller got it home, F7 started blowing. He told me his tech diagnosed it as a bad transistor.

Thanks.

Q4 and Q5 buzzed, so thinking that they're shorted. And this is assuming I tested correctly.

So when I did power up at my house for the first time after buying it, all kinds of things were funny.. DMD, shaker motor went off like crazy, etc. The only thing I found was a T Rex switch wire had come loose and was somewhat touching the same switches OTHER lug. I fixed that and a lot of things got better..

I'm wondering if just replacing those two transistors would fix things. I'd HATE to have to go through and remove all diodes from coils and test them. I'd rather just replace the Q4 and Q5 and hope things work.

THOUGHTS? Also a source for tip36c? Marco has them at appx $4 each! GPE is out.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Make sure you have your meter set to diode mode snd test those diodes.
    Just my 2 cents!

I'd have to remove a diode leg to test I believe. Or can they be tested while still attached to the coil (I don't think they can).?

Does it sound like the way I tested the transistors seem right?

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

If F5 is blown, and it is the power fuse for the raptor coil (I don't have my JP anymore so I can't confirm this) but the raptor coil still fires when you hit the flipper button then something is obviously shorted somewhere as the Raptor coil should be unable to fire without power being supplied through F5. If F5 is truly the power fuse for that coil then I would test for voltage on the lugs of that coil while F5 is removed and if power is there (it must be if it fires) I would check to see if any other coil that is powered by F5 also has voltage (the actual voltage reading may be a clue) on it and figure out what it / they are shorted to.

Yes. When F5 is blown, hitting either flipper button activates the raptor coil (and not the flippers themselves).

Can you give me a quick description of how to test voltage on the lugs? It's been awhile.. I don't even recall what setting the put MM on.

Also, does it sound like I tested those tip36 transisitors correctly? I listed a few posts back how I did it. I did order some new ones..

Also, with J8 removed from PPB, flippers work fine (with F5 intact).. with no shorting to the raptor coil.

I just wish I could figure out where to look.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Im referring to the raptor switch not the coil. Thought the OP stated the raptor switch was reporting error.

No, the coil fires when flippers buttons are pressed.

SOMETHING I forgot to mention that may be important: Before F5 blows, I checked really fast to see which of the 50v coils activated, and it was the Auto-Launch. What does this tell me?

#49 5 years ago

In switch test, all switches work fine EXCEPT when hitting the flipper buttons. The flipper button switches signal, but so does the raptor coil.

Sorry for the confusion.

#52 5 years ago

I guess I don't know where to start. Should I just wait until the tip36 transistors for Q4 & Q5 come in and replace the shorted ones? I think the fact that these are shorted (as per my test, which I think I did correctly) would be the reasoning for the blowing of F5.

#54 5 years ago

Pretty sure Q5 is autolaunch and Q4 is the raptor pit.

Why would both Q5 and Q4 be shorted if the issues is just with one of the coils?

Funny as this whole thing (the repair/anxiety/frustration part) was the reason I took a long break from the hobby. Now here I am again. haha..

#55 5 years ago

I've seen a few thread with the same issues: flipper buttons activating the raptor coil.

this guy seems to have my same issues, and they were cause via shipping the pin: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/g9-5AnzFdQ4

He replaced the Q4 transistor which fixed things. But really, what caused it? He doesn't say.

#57 5 years ago

So I tested the 50v coils in question with connector J8 plugged in and fuse F5 blown.

None of the coils are getting any stray power which is good I believe.

#58 5 years ago

So as I wait for Marco to deliver my transistors for ppb board I was wondering:

Since there are only a couple coils not working and one, the auto launch energizes in start up before the fuse blows, could I unsolder or cut one of
    The wires to it and see if I can start up the pin and NOT blow the F5? Will this tell me anything? I already know Q4 & Q5 need to be replaced.

Or will this test tell me nothing as the transistors are already blown?

If so, which lugs wire?

#59 5 years ago

Bump

#60 5 years ago

Slump

#62 5 years ago

Anyone? I

#63 5 years ago

Hello

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

This is our way of saying
    Wait for transistors

Haha!!!

I’ll be installing the new ones tonight. Hopefully that solves the issue.

#67 5 years ago

All fixed!

Q4 & Q5 we’re shorted. Replaced and it’s working again. Hopefully for good.

Thanks to all who helped.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Nice! I’m taking all the credit via post #33. Just kidding, glad you got it fixed. Something likely caused a temporary short and blew the transistors.

Who knows. It
    Could’ve been that loose switch wire.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-blowing-f5-on-ppb-board?tu=blackbeard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.