1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

b9afc27d14a5aa5a59744da5be5c8908a2bdd9e4 (resized).png

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

In switch test, all switches work fine EXCEPT when hitting the flipper buttons. The flipper button switches signal, but so does the raptor coil.
    Sorry for the confusion.

So you DO have a switch matrix issue which is what I (and others, I'm sure) suspected. Fix the problem with the fuse blowing first and then you can move on to this one.

#52 1 year ago

I guess I don't know where to start. Should I just wait until the tip36 transistors for Q4 & Q5 come in and replace the shorted ones? I think the fact that these are shorted (as per my test, which I think I did correctly) would be the reasoning for the blowing of F5.

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I guess I don't know where to start. Should I just wait until the tip36 transistors for Q4 & Q5 come in and replace the shorted ones? I think the fact that these are shorted (as per my test, which I think I did correctly) would be the reasoning for the blowing of F5.

Yeah, if you don't want to remove the autolaunch coil wire or cutting Q5 off the board to stop blowing the fuse then you should just wait. I pulled the manual down but it is hard to read due to the way it was scanned. It looks like Q5 is for the autolaunch and Q4 is for the Right Sling??? (really can't tell if that's correct or not). Surely you'd notice the right sling locking on if it were, right? The fuse is blowing because the shorted transistor locks the coil on and draws too much current, this is precisely why that fuse is there to protect from melting the coil, burning up the board, starting a fire, etc.

#54 1 year ago

Pretty sure Q5 is autolaunch and Q4 is the raptor pit.

Why would both Q5 and Q4 be shorted if the issues is just with one of the coils?

Funny as this whole thing (the repair/anxiety/frustration part) was the reason I took a long break from the hobby. Now here I am again. haha..

#55 1 year ago

I've seen a few thread with the same issues: flipper buttons activating the raptor coil.

this guy seems to have my same issues, and they were cause via shipping the pin: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/g9-5AnzFdQ4

He replaced the Q4 transistor which fixed things. But really, what caused it? He doesn't say.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Pretty sure Q5 is autolaunch and Q4 is the raptor pit.
    Why would both Q5 and Q4 be shorted if the issues is just with one of the coils?
    Funny as this whole thing (the repair/anxiety/frustration part) was the reason I took a long break from the hobby. Now here I am again. haha..

Is the autolaunch assembly solidly mounted to the playfield? Make sure that it is not loose or wobbly.

I had an issue on a TZ whereby the autolaunch assembly was loose and whenever it fired the game would re-boot because a wire from the autolaunch assembly would touch an adjacent piece of metal. I know that this is a different issue, but you may want to just make sure that the autolaunch assembly is not loose.

Gord

#57 1 year ago

So I tested the 50v coils in question with connector J8 plugged in and fuse F5 blown.

None of the coils are getting any stray power which is good I believe.

#58 1 year ago

So as I wait for Marco to deliver my transistors for ppb board I was wondering:

Since there are only a couple coils not working and one, the auto launch energizes in start up before the fuse blows, could I unsolder or cut one of
    The wires to it and see if I can start up the pin and NOT blow the F5? Will this tell me anything? I already know Q4 & Q5 need to be replaced.

Or will this test tell me nothing as the transistors are already blown?

If so, which lugs wire?

#61 1 year ago

Xmas bump

#64 1 year ago

This is our way of saying
    Wait for transistors

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorro:

This is our way of saying
    Wait for transistors

Haha!!!

I’ll be installing the new ones tonight. Hopefully that solves the issue.

#66 1 year ago

Good luck fingers crossed, keep us posted!
    Before start up , double check all wires switches and conectors!
    And nake shure all the right type fuses are installed!

#67 1 year ago

All fixed!

Q4 & Q5 we’re shorted. Replaced and it’s working again. Hopefully for good.

Thanks to all who helped.

#68 1 year ago

Great!
    Now post some pictures in the jp club!

#69 1 year ago

Nice! I’m taking all the credit via post #33. Just kidding, glad you got it fixed. Something likely caused a temporary short and blew the transistors.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Nice! I’m taking all the credit via post #33. Just kidding, glad you got it fixed. Something likely caused a temporary short and blew the transistors.

Who knows. It
    Could’ve been that loose switch wire.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 124.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.95
    $ 99.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 149.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.95
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside