(Topic ID: 177570)

Jurassic Park blowing F5 fuse on PPB board upon startup...help!

By BrewersArcade

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BenMielke
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Well I'm stumped on this one. My Jurassic Park has been running fine for a year but it has given up the ghost temporarily. Upon start up, I'm blowing the F5 fuse on the bottom left board (the PPB board below the power supply). I have no flipper power and the ball will not shoot when I pull the trigger. I've checked the coils on the flippers and everything is moving free and the diodes on the flippers seem to be testing good. Game boots up just fine and kicks the ball into the shooter lane to start a game...just no 50v power for the trigger coil to shoot the ball into the playfield and no flipper power. Only F5 is blown...all other fuses checked out fine on the boards. Send advice my way or come fix it for beer if you are a local!

#2 7 years ago

Pinwiki suggests the following: 4.5 PPB Board Issues
    Common issues include:

Burnt GI connector #Burned_Connectors
    Dead or shorted TIP36C transistor
    Bad / broken fuse clips
    Cracked header pins (cold solder joints)
    Burnt board from overfusing fuse F5

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#PPB_Board_Issues

Shorted transistor seems the most likely source of your problem.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Pinwiki suggests the following: 4.5 PPB Board Issues
    Common issues include:
    Burnt GI connector #Burned_Connectors
    Dead or shorted TIP36C transistor
    Bad / broken fuse clips
    Cracked header pins (cold solder joints)
    Burnt board from overfusing fuse F5
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#PPB_Board_Issues
    Shorted transistor seems the most likely source of your problem.

Thanks for the link on this! Got some reading to do

1 week later
    #4 7 years ago

Wanted to post a resolution here. I ended up ordering a working used Data East PPB board off of eBay (got it cheap) and it resolved my issue. I haven't gone through all the transistors but I'm assuming one of the Tip36 transistors was bad. No coil diodes or anything else on the playfield were blown. Totally isolated to PPB board

#5 7 years ago

My t3 was blowing same high voltage fuse and it was a bad transistor on the board..had a high quality one put in and bam...problem solved

3 years later
    #6 3 years ago

My LAH was working great until I went to play and the ball would not launch. (And a few other coils. F5 on the PPB was blowing instantly. Ended up that the bridge rectifier BR1 was shorted. Had it replaced and works great

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-blowing-f5-fuse-on-ppb-board-upon-startuphelp?hl=benmielke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.