(Topic ID: 73322)

Jurassic Park - Ball falls off ramp at very end, either to outlane or over sling

By chipman78

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8FB79D43-E710-4066-913D-F62E60CB2CA3 (resized).jpeg
photo-191.JPG

#1 7 years ago

In my Jurassic Park, the metal ramp is having some issues. About 60% of the time the ball exits the ramp into its proper lane (the inlane). The other 40% it messily falls out to the left (over the slingshot, see video) or right (outlane... ugh).

I have tried slight bending of the ramp, harder bending / forming, and adjusting where the ramp "drops" the ball by unscrewing the base screw, moving the ramp left or right, and re-tightening. While some of these made the ramp worse, nothing has made it perfect.

Any advice? Thanks for your time, gang!

https://vimeo.com/81619783

#2 7 years ago

have you checked the level of the game, both side to side and steepness? that might be a factor...
never saw it do that before, i've seen a fast ball hop off the wireform that cuts across the playfield where it transfers from plastic ramp to metal wireform. anyone have any other ideas, is it a common issue?

#3 7 years ago

jespo! How's it going! Your old machine says hi.

It's laterally level, and the steepness is set to 6.5, if not less (and if it is less, it should come in on the ramp less-hot, which tells me it wouldn't be thrashing about like it is).

I'm close to coming up with a hack/fix (like attaching a piece of plastic to the end of the ramp to dampen the ball), but I'd rather it just work as designed.

Thanks!

#4 7 years ago

mine has never done that , and its not here , its at a friends so i cant check it. But i was sure i had a dampening pad on it.

#5 7 years ago

looking online at pictures , it doesn't appear to have a dampening pad. strange how yours hits and spins off.

#6 7 years ago

Mine does that if it isn't screwed down all the way to the right. Also, mine originally had a spacer underneath it to raise it up slightly. When I put a plastic protector under that slingshot plastic, I had to cut the spacer down, but either way, it doesn't seem to cause that problem for me as long as it's moved all the way to the right. I can't tell if yours has a spacer.

Edit: To be clear, the spacer in mine is a grey hard plastic. A couple of metal washers could be used instead.

#7 7 years ago

I could be wrong but just move the wire ramp to the left on the right sling. I think your ball is hitting thin wire on the lane divider.

#8 7 years ago

I had this problem too, and the only way I could fix it was to SIGNIFICANTLY bend the end with 2 prongs so that it hit the left prong instead of the right and then the ball corrects itself. I've never been able to bend it so far the ball goes into the shooter lane so that shouldn't be a concern.

#9 7 years ago

I am having the same problem. you are not alone brother

#10 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice! It was a long night with a lot of ramp shots, but I think I've got it about 95% perfect. After playing with lateral mounting and vertical height (with spacers), I finally noticed that one of the rails had a ridge on its blunt end (see picture). The ball would hit this, get jostled, and fly off to either the left or right. I filed it down and it was much better... but still not perfect.
After taking slow-motion video of the ball at the end of the ramp, it showed me that it was hitting the right stop-post first. I bent it out and saw a huge difference.
I should have stopped there, though. After putting the glass back on, I challenged my wife to a few games. And on her last ball, right before we called it a night, her ramp shot ended in the OUTLANE one more time. Grrrrrr!
Looks like I may have to bend those stop-posts even more. Or I may just leave it as-is for now, and see how often it happens.

Thanks again all! As a first-time pinball owner, and first-time forum poster, I felt the love.

photo-191.JPG
#11 7 years ago

If anyone's interested, here's one of the slow-mo videos that helped me diagnose the issue.

#12 7 years ago

Very interesting. When I got mine, it had a thin piece of plastic zip-tied around the end of that ramp. I haven't touched it, but I assume this is why it was done.

8 months later
#13 6 years ago

Just picked up a JP on the cheap and am having this exact same issue! I also have a T-Rex that doesn't like to swallow (insert own joke here). Anyone near Hopkinton MA that is a JP expert?

11 months later
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from PumpkinKing:

Just picked up a JP on the cheap and am having this exact same issue! I also have a T-Rex that doesn't like to swallow (insert own joke here). Anyone near Hopkinton MA that is a JP expert?

Pumpkin, did you ever figure out how to get her to swallow? (seriously)

#15 5 years ago

Probably not the best way to fix it but mine did the same thing - the only way I could get it to work was to actually loosen the nut on the sling so the wire has a bit of play. I'd like to fix it properly so will try some of the options above (I don't really like it being loose) but it's never happened to me again since I loosened it.

3 years later
#16 2 years ago

For anyone that is searching and finds this thread, I just got a JP and was having this issue. I just add two small white post rubbers on the end of the ramp legs so that the ball hit that and then dropped. Sometimes when the ball is going fast it will bounce back a couple inches but then come back and drop like normal. Ever since I did that, I've never seen it go over the slings or the outlane. Just wanted to throw out another option out there!

#17 2 years ago

Mine does this as well so thanks for all of the tips!

1 year later
#18 1 year ago

Thanks for the solution, I used a Dremel with a mid grit sandpaper barrel to quickly remove the edges from around the top side of the bottom rails and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

Quoted from chipman78:

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice! It was a long night with a lot of ramp shots, but I think I've got it about 95% perfect. After playing with lateral mounting and vertical height (with spacers), I finally noticed that one of the rails had a ridge on its blunt end (see picture). The ball would hit this, get jostled, and fly off to either the left or right. I filed it down and it was much better... but still not perfect.
After taking slow-motion video of the ball at the end of the ramp, it showed me that it was hitting the right stop-post first. I bent it out and saw a huge difference.
I should have stopped there, though. After putting the glass back on, I challenged my wife to a few games. And on her last ball, right before we called it a night, her ramp shot ended in the OUTLANE one more time. Grrrrrr!
Looks like I may have to bend those stop-posts even more. Or I may just leave it as-is for now, and see how often it happens.
Thanks again all! As a first-time pinball owner, and first-time forum poster, I felt the love.

[quoted image]

#19 1 year ago

I had the same problem with my machine when I first got it.
I put to small post rubbers on the ends of the wire form and have not had a problem since.

8FB79D43-E710-4066-913D-F62E60CB2CA3 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside