(Topic ID: 356)

Jurassic Park Background Music distorted, sound effects sound fine

By DeLorean_Rider

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I'm having a problem with the audio on a Jurassic Park Pinball. Most of the audio works fine such as the movie quotes, dinosaur noises, etc. However all of the background music sounds garbled. Its like the pitch of the audio is way too high.

For example, when you press start, its supposed to play the jurassic park theme. You can make out what it's trying to play, but its super high pitched, scratchy, and garbled. However, a helicopter shows up on the D.M.D. and John Hammond says, "Welcome to Jurassic Park," and its clear as day.

Any ideas? I've already tried changing out about 2/3s of the CAPS on the audio boards. The only ones I havn't changed are the ones that go to the individual speaker channels because the speakers are working fine.

I made 2 recordings of audio samples:

The first is of the game with just the attract music playing, then a game starting, and a little bit of game play.
http://www.filedropper.com/jurassicparkpinballaudiosample1

The second sample is of the actual sound test in the diagnostics. First are voice quotes, then the background music. It's the background music that's distorted. None of that scratchy high pitched noise is supposed to be there.
http://www.filedropper.com/jurassicparkpinballaudiosample2

These recordings are exactly how it sounds from the game, as far as I can tell there is nothing misleading about the quality of these on a computer.

Thanks!

4 years later
#2 10 years ago

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I am having something similar happen on my Police Force.

#3 10 years ago

Totally guessing, but sounds like a data problem. Like the sound data being read from the ROM is not complete. I'd first verify the ROM checksums and then check for bad sockets or a broken trace. I have a similar problem on my Flash Gordon.

1 year later
#4 9 years ago

Just FYI, I did end up fixing this problem. The Data East sound board has jumpers on it and there was one jumper whose location had to be changed. Unfortunately it was so long ago that I dont remember exactly which one, but I know this fixed it. Just wanted to say this because I noticed I had a couple PMs about it.

#5 9 years ago

Posted to save for later. I want to check something similar on my DE. Appreciate you posting this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-background-music-distorted-sound-effects-sound-fine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.