Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8110 (resized).JPG
    Tom-Brady-Patriots-receive-sixth-Super-Bowl-rings (resized).jpg
    head (resized).jpg
    71bles8xqKL._SL1000_ (resized).jpg
    17535_331083592754_4400754_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200309_175058 (resized).jpg
    5b740515be1c78e8d6370e5bcf8a051a (resized).jpg
    3rqrea (resized).jpg
    JP GOAT-aid (resized).jpg
    20200302_142757 (resized).jpg
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Agree that shot is terrible. I feel like a lot of shots are like chopping wood on this dumb game. Not even a top 20 for me. Just don’t like it.

You are in the extreme minority.

Didn’t you sell all your pins?

#202 3 years ago

Had an le in my game room for about a year. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

#203 3 years ago

I’m open to there being better games than JP, but I’m yet to play one that is.

For me, JP has everything, heaps of shots all with varying degrees of difficulty. The breadth of rules always has me doing something different and depth always has me striving for something else. I’ve owned my JP since they first arrived in Australia and still yet to make it to the visitors centre, but it doesn’t stop my trying.

I’m not a massive fan of the movie, so the “so called” lack of theme integration doesn’t bother me, in fact I quite like how they’ve done it. Animations are fantastic, sound effects awesome and the LE looks great.

GOAT, for me it probably is.

#204 3 years ago

With Tim's custom music, this is Stern's best pre tmnt. Just got tmnt so not sure how the two compare but pre tmnt, it's no question the best

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from smognote:

Had an le in my game room for about a year. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

“My brother has this game. Finally got to spend a lot of time on it might be my new favorite game of all time brilliant layout tons of variation I thought nothing would touch dialed in but this does. I would put this in my top 5 of all time. Don't believe me. Play it learn it. Love it“

Changed your mind eh?

I like my Oktoberfest too but I wouldn’t rank it second

Pinball is fickle!

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You are in the extreme minority.
    Didn’t you sell all your pins?

I might need to spend time learning the rules. They are very complicated. Perhaps once I figure them out it’ll be better. That’s where I am at with Iron Maiden too. The rules just don’t present themself well but perhaps if I study them it’ll be more fun.

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I might need to spend time learning the rules. They are very complicated. Perhaps once I figure them out it’ll be better. That’s where I am at with Iron Maiden too. The rules just don’t present themself well but perhaps if I study them it’ll be more fun.

I agree with you on Maiden. Never did get to far in that game. I spent most of my time working on that Sarco mech

I had to read the rule sheet on Tilt forums a few times to be able to progress along the path to Visitor center much easier.

http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-jurassic-park-rulesheet/5644

So many ways to play this game and have fun!

Playing Escape from Nebular is a fun break and different

#208 3 years ago

For me, after 10 months of owning and playing, its my GOAT!
    Now thats just my opinion, as everyone is different.
    But after 50 years of playing, and owning, I would keep this, as my only game left, if I had to keep
    only one.

Hi Ice!

#209 3 years ago

Hi Old Pin Guy!

#210 3 years ago

HI!
    Are you enjoying this pin?....Staying safe in Denver, I hope?

#211 3 years ago

Seems unnecessary to add my "yes" vote since it appears an overwhelming majority of the most knowledgeable pinball experts have already crowned it the GOAT, but I'll add my vote for the record anyway.

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

I traded my JP Prem for a Met Pro plus a lot of cash and not missing it one bit. The linear rules/paddocks felt like chores, just wasn't fun after the first couple months. The lack of theme integration really started to wear on me as well, it never really felt like Jurassic Park. The helicopter shot was awful, especially for such a key shot.

On the flip side I traded my met pro for a jp prem and... Hey wait a minute! I think we both ended up happy with this trade

#213 3 years ago

I don't necessarily believe any game is the GOAT.

I think JP2 is a very good game.

I agree with a lot of the criticisms of the game in this thread.

I think the helipad shot is perfectly excellent and I don't understand the hate. I use it as a part of a combo regularly. Just because you can't make a shot doesn't mean it's garbage.

I wanted JP2 to be the better version of IMDN. It's not.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

For me, after 10 months of owning and playing, its my GOAT!
    Now thats just my opinion, as everyone is different.
    But after 50 years of playing, and owning, I would keep this, as my only game left, if I had to keep
    only one.
    Hi Ice!

What’s up brother Art!

I hope retirement is treating you well.

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What’s up brother Art!
    I hope retirement is treating you well.

Hanging out in Quarantine....Wish I could play more.....I have my second spine work done this week.
    Here is whats great for me in retirement, Alex, my first grandchild, is a few months older now, and she is standing on a stool trying to play these days.....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #216 3 years ago

For anyone who feels the theme/sound is a huge drawback in JP2, to sliprose 's point, I've fixed a lot of that over the past year b/c I've felt the same way. I'm a long time fan of the original Jurassic Park movie. JP2 marked my first and only second pin thus far. I've made a lot of sound improvements since I bought the machine at launch. Thus far, I've implemented ~20 fully orchestrated music replacements (collaborating with another pinsider who orchestrated a live, musical rendition of the movie) and ~100 callout swaps with original movie lines instead of the stock actors. See the latest in this thread if you're not already aware: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project
    If you want to see the sound in action, the stream from Buffalo Pinball (from a couple months ago) is a good representation of where this is at currently.

Reno Pinball also played it for a bit just a few days later:

I've continued to make improvements since and still dig into it almost daily (outside of my full time job work hours). Feel free to reach out to me via PM or on that above thread with any questions or ideas!

-Tim

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Metallica only shows it's woody choppiness as you start getting deep into the game. Up to CIU it's brilliant. But if you are going to EOTL, then it becomes the same thing over, and over, and over, and over one more time. It's fun stuff, but it gets repetitive.
    JP shows its wood choppiness right away with each paddock being pretty much the same thing. When I first got my JP, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately that wore off quick, and it was time to move it on after 6 month or so. At the end of the day, I just didn't find the shots to be all that satisfying (unique yes, satisfying to me, no), and most of the modes didn't get me pumped up and sucked into the game (other than the T-Rex modes...those are great...the rest just didn't live up to them, paddocks especially which are the bulk of the game). It's definitely a good, unique game. But far from GOAT, for me at least. Six months ago me would have argued with present day me on both the repetitiveness and the GOAT status, LOL. I can definitely see why some feel it's the best though...just not for me.

I humbly desagree.
    Met is a kind of chopping wood at the start. You need to light all insert of a line, hit this line and validate to captive ball/hammer (in one ball or you loose the progression). Then repeat for all other lines. Anyway, it doesn’t bother me, coz it is challenging and you can progress in other goals. That exactly the same for JP., you need to rescue staff but you progress towards others goals.

#218 3 years ago

You got me with my rating that's the problem with judging a game so quickly. I should change my overall rating but never do. It seems like we all like games upon first arrival. I only have 3 I think will stay permanent. Walking dead. Dialed in and October fest. All so original from each other. People like different games for different reasons I play for what I believe to be addictive game play and that's what those 3 do for me. The best game ever made does not exist. Only each individuals opinion

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

I traded my JP Prem for a Met Pro plus a lot of cash and not missing it one bit. The linear rules/paddocks felt like chores,...

That was my issue as well; theme was fine for me.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I don't necessarily believe any game is the GOAT.
    I think JP2 is a very good game.
    I agree with a lot of the criticisms of the game in this thread.
    I think the helipad shot is perfectly excellent and I don't understand the hate. I use it as a part of a combo regularly. Just because you can't make a shot doesn't mean it's garbage.
    I wanted JP2 to be the better version of IMDN. It's not.

It’s a clunky shot for sure. He crammed too much in a standard playfield. Should’ve been a wide body. That’s the main knock IMO.

Is it a super hard shot to hit? No, but everyone is so hyped on Elwin, gotta call a spade a spade. When you compare to designers like Lawlor or SR, you can see the difference in some design philosophies

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-all-time-goat/page/5?hl=smognote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.