Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8110 (resized).JPG
    Tom-Brady-Patriots-receive-sixth-Super-Bowl-rings (resized).jpg
    head (resized).jpg
    71bles8xqKL._SL1000_ (resized).jpg
    17535_331083592754_4400754_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200309_175058 (resized).jpg
    5b740515be1c78e8d6370e5bcf8a051a (resized).jpg
    3rqrea (resized).jpg
    JP GOAT-aid (resized).jpg
    20200302_142757 (resized).jpg
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 4 years ago

I think you could make a case for +50 games being the GOAT. I think both of Elwin's games would be in that group. For me Jurassic Park falls a bit short on the artwork. It's not bad, I just prefer Zombie Yeti.

#152 4 years ago

Tom-Brady-Patriots-receive-sixth-Super-Bowl-rings (resized).jpgTom-Brady-Patriots-receive-sixth-Super-Bowl-rings (resized).jpg
    #153 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I thought he was talking about T. rex ate a goat.

Move along JJP fanboy

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Move along JJP fanboy

You got that right!!!

#155 4 years ago

I enjoy, and have been impressed with Keith Elwin's Iron Maiden and Jurassic Park designs so far.

However, to call any game that has been released within the past couple years the "GOAT" seems premature. His 2 games are very impressive NEW games and fun to play. People are still in the honeymoon phase especially with JP2, since the game is still being developed.

However GOAT has a strong link to longevity. (Keith, coincidentally, has been referred to as the GOAT player for a while now because he has dominated the scene for ages.)

The EM/SS/DMD games that people have been fawning over for the past several decades are the actual contenders for GOAT in each respective category. Will people be as in love with Stern's Jurassic Park down the road? Time will tell (literally).

If people still feel the same way about it in 10, 15, 20 years from now, then sure, add it to the list of GOAT contenders.

#156 4 years ago

Looking to trade for a Jurassic Park LE if anyone wants to move one.. Let me know. Thanks!

#157 4 years ago

don't know if it has been said, but what is the time of the ball with this one? it depends on your skills but if i you can make comparisons with other games (woz, twd, ..) i would appreciate. thanks

#158 4 years ago

Moderate ball times. Not super long or short. I’d compare to something like Tron or AC/DC or Metallica.

#159 4 years ago

In my collection: Longer than Taxi or ST:TNG, shorter than Whirlwind.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Moderate ball times. Not super long or short. I’d compare to something like Tron or AC/DC or Metallica.

well, i think it is perfect for GOAT game!

#161 4 years ago

Obviously too early to tell, but so far I'm always exited to play JP when i'm out. Game has so many ways to approach it and trying to progress is fun, challenging and rewarding. Much like Lyman games where there is some simplicity mixed with complexity and a lot of nuance. Keith gets it and his idea for rules mixed with some really cool layouts makes for instant classics so far. Plus i'm always a sucker for upper flipper shots.

#162 4 years ago

Fantastic game. Up there with TZ for best games ever IMO.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

In my collection: Longer than Taxi or ST:TNG, shorter than Whirlwind.

Is there another game in all of pinball that has shorter average ball times than STTNG?

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Is there another game in all of pinball that has shorter average ball times than STTNG?

For me, it was always Flash Gordon. Crazy brutal.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Fantastic game. Up there with TZ for best games ever IMO.

What.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Most games I've played in my life.

#167 4 years ago

2nd greatest.

Nothing will ever compare to playing The Addams Family when it first came out.

It's like the scene in the Wizard of Oz when the black and white film switches to color.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

TWD is the GOAT for me. It has a similar theme integration as JP, but it’s better.

TWD has great code but the layout is awful & JP2 blows it away in that catagory. Also a lot less chopping wood on JP then TWD.

To me JP2 is the best game to date when you take all things into consideration.

#169 4 years ago

By far the best pin I've ever played. The question really is moot however, as how can you question someones subjective point of view. But I can't name a better pin; amazing shots of varying difficulty, very well thought out and challenging rules, love the music and callouts (I'm not a huge JP fan which may be beneficial), it personally has no negatives... besides a few teething mechanical/production issues. Again, I can't think of a better pin.

#170 4 years ago

Not sure how anyone can argue that JP isn't the GOAT...

IMG_8110 (resized).JPGIMG_8110 (resized).JPG
    #171 4 years ago

Great game but GOAT?
    Nah not with that theme.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Great game but GOAT?
    Nah not with that theme.

Man, you don't like dinosaurs?!

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Man, you don't like dinosaurs?!

Hazoff is a dinosaur, and a grumpy one at that!

#174 4 years ago

I think JPLE might be the best game ever. It’s my favorite layout of all time.

#175 4 years ago

Certainly a good game but a bit early to call GOAT. I think it is miles ahead of Iron Maiden. In my opinion Maiden play field artwork is bad and overall the game feels ‘cheap’.

#176 4 years ago

JJP pirates is GOAT.

I really like afm.

#177 4 years ago

"GOAT" can't be used by a single person, it would be his taste/opinion.
    "GOAT" is then refered here to an average general opinion about the game. So let time do its work

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

JJP pirates is GOAT

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Hazoff is a dinosaur, and a grumpy one at that!

Grumpasaurus? you better believe it. I like Dino's, it just didn't click for me in the theme department as a long time keeper. I'll own it again at some point, a Pre next time around. It really is a great game.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

"GOAT" can't be used by a single person, it would be his taste/opinion.
    "GOAT" is then refered here to an average general opinion about the game. So let time do its work

Wrong.
    Jjp pirates is goat.

4 months later
    #181 3 years ago

Whether or not Jurassic Park is the G.O.A.T. is probably up to personal opinion, but a lot of the criticism in this thread is related to lack of integration of the theme into the game. That is a valid criticism of the game. Well, Tim timlah79 has spent a bunch of time working on a custom audio package that replaces stock audio with dialogue from the actual movie. It really makes the machine true to its billing as a Jurassic Park pinball theme.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/10#post-5782808

It's a shame that Stern couldn't do the same. It makes me wonder if obtaining a license and not being able to use all of the content from the source film/music/etc. is something that a pinball manufacturer should pursue. It reminds me of those vinyl LPs as a kid that would be a collection of greatest hits, but were performed by generic bands and not the original artists.

Regardless, I love Stern Jurassic Park and think it's a great (fast) playing pinball machine even if stock theme integration is weak.

#182 3 years ago

It is all what clicks with you. If you think it is the GOAT for you, that's great.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from sliprose:

Whether or not Jurassic Park is the G.O.A.T. is probably up to personal opinion, but a lot of the criticism in this thread is related to lack of integration of the theme into the game. That is a valid criticism of the game. Well, Tim timlah79 has spent a bunch of time working on a custom audio package that replaces stock audio with dialogue from the actual movie. It really makes the machine true to its billing as a Jurassic Park pinball theme.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/10#post-5782808
    It's a shame that Stern couldn't do the same. It makes me wonder if obtaining a license and not being able to use all of the content from the source film/music/etc. is something that a pinball manufacturer should pursue. It reminds me of those vinyl LPs as a kid that would be a collection of greatest hits, but were performed by generic bands and not the original artists.
    Regardless, I love Stern Jurassic Park and think it's a great (fast) playing pinball machine even if stock theme integration is weak.

"He's gonna eat the G.O.A.T.!?" - Lex Murphy, Jurassic Park

#184 3 years ago

Prior to owning it, I liked it. Now I love it. The modes make sense. Rules are cool and I actually like the ptemium artwork. The custom audio set elevates it as well.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

But a bit better than all 3 all around Chuck

The LCD trumps all those pins

TWD is phenomenal. A woodchopper?

So many ways to play it so no.

Bottom line, pinball is pretty F ing good right now!

#186 3 years ago

greatest of all time.. no. i actually like the art work a lot on all 3 versions. its different, so i think that's good. if there is one knock for me on the game, its sort of a story, linear game. vs. star wars or game of thrones, you have a bunch of directions you can do thigks. same with deadpool and batman 66.

now, for challenge and depth, it's up there. also a lot of hidden things here and there. like the fossils and secret skill shots. the shots on the game are awesome too because they are so different.

i would put game of thrones premium/le or deadpool as the goats.

#187 3 years ago

Not the Goat for me. I owned it for 6+ months, played it a lot.

Layout is cool, unique, but ruleset is so complicated. Whoever said it plays like a board game is right, the helicopter shot and mission control room shots are clunky, and the left ramp is such a necessary shot. It really is a generic dinosaur game too, which hurts it.

Very much feels like TSPP to me, super deep, with long ball times.

My biggest complaint is the set trap buttons are an integral part of completing the game, and they just don’t feel satisfying to hit. Love the center spinner and third flipper shots though.

I wish Elwin made it as a wide body, it would have been the best wide body ever.

#188 3 years ago

The sound replacement corrects the one weakness

#189 3 years ago

I want to like this game. But I don’t. Thinking of selling it. :-/

#190 3 years ago

What's better all around? Nothing.

I have MBrLE, had AFMrLE. Not even in the same league.

LOTR? Nope. sold it.

It's the best amongst a lot of great games.

#191 3 years ago

JP is my favorite stern. I really like the shots in general, feel rewarding.

Lighting is ok as are animations. Theme is fine, not a big plus for me though.

I might be in the jjpotc goat camp but love playing JP. Both great efforts by new designers.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Elvira

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I have MBrLE, had AFMrLE. Not even in the same league.
    LOTR? Nope. sold it.
    It's the best amongst a lot of great games.

Well, JP is really great but i still prefer TWD for my part.

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I want to like this game. But I don’t. Thinking of selling it. :-/

I traded my JP Prem for a Met Pro plus a lot of cash and not missing it one bit. The linear rules/paddocks felt like chores, just wasn't fun after the first couple months. The lack of theme integration really started to wear on me as well, it never really felt like Jurassic Park. The helicopter shot was awful, especially for such a key shot.

#195 3 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

I traded my JP Prem for a Met Pro plus a lot of cash and not missing it one bit. The linear rules/paddocks felt like chores, just wasn't fun after the first couple months. The lack of theme integration really started to wear on me as well, it never really felt like Jurassic Park. The helicopter shot was awful, especially for such a key shot.

Some folks would tell you Met is a kind of chopping wood! I can understand but i like it anyway

JP is a challenging game with some tough shots but not tight...and it is why i like it so much.
    JP is brilliant game in my book and it is all what matters

#196 3 years ago

JP is the only game I have right now, and I love it... But not GOAT. Maybe top ten. Maybe even top 5.

#197 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Some folks would tell you Met is a kind of chopping wood! I can understand but i like it anyway
    JP is a challenging game with some tough shots but not tight...and it is why i like it so much.
    JP is brilliant game in my book and it is all what matters

Metallica only shows it's woody choppiness as you start getting deep into the game. Up to CIU it's brilliant. But if you are going to EOTL, then it becomes the same thing over, and over, and over, and over one more time. It's fun stuff, but it gets repetitive.

JP shows its wood choppiness right away with each paddock being pretty much the same thing. When I first got my JP, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately that wore off quick, and it was time to move it on after 6 month or so. At the end of the day, I just didn't find the shots to be all that satisfying (unique yes, satisfying to me, no), and most of the modes didn't get me pumped up and sucked into the game (other than the T-Rex modes...those are great...the rest just didn't live up to them, paddocks especially which are the bulk of the game). It's definitely a good, unique game. But far from GOAT, for me at least. Six months ago me would have argued with present day me on both the repetitiveness and the GOAT status, LOL. I can definitely see why some feel it's the best though...just not for me.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from PokerJake:

Agree that shot is terrible. I feel like a lot of shots are like chopping wood on this dumb game. Not even a top 20 for me. Just don’t like it.

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Agree that shot is terrible. I feel like a lot of shots are like chopping wood on this dumb game. Not even a top 20 for me. Just don’t like it.

Did you play it a lot prior to buying?

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Did you play it a lot prior to buying?

Nope, never do. It’s ok.

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-all-time-goat/page/4?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.