• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

white1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Static can come from many possibilities. What kind of static? Analog noise that sounds like ocean waves? Digital noise like popcorn? Usually analog static is introduced in the final stages of audio amplification, digital noise sources are usually rooted much deeper and further up the pipeline. The first thing to check is to make sure you have clean audio power. Not just the proper DC voltage levels that feed the amplifiers, but also check for AC ripple and clean grounding.

You can most likely rule out the boards that were replaced (although that is never 100% guaranteed). Speakers are not usually the source of static. I'd focus on board interconnect cables - especially those that interface CPU sound to sound boards. It doesn't take much to cause a sound problem, a little oxidation or a slightly loose crimp can cause noise problems. So that's what I would investigate next, after looking into the power source condition.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Just roaring static, like an amp with a bad connection.
I’ll find the Whitestar guide on pinwiki for how and where to test those things. Thanks man.

Your welcome. Good luck, hope you get an easy fix.

#6 4 years ago

While pinwiki describes what to do - it doesn’t describe how to test for this. How and where do I check for +12 and -12?

Check the voltages on the board. On the DC input connector CN2 there should be approx. +12V DC between pin 2 (ground) and pin 6 (+12V) and ­-12V between pin 2 (ground) and pin 3 (­-12V), these voltages come from the Power Supply Board. On the board itself are two voltage regulators to convert the +12V and ­12V to +5V and ­5V for the pre­amplifiers, check these voltages by measuring between the ground (GND test point) and U30 pin 8 for +5V,U30 pin 4 for ­5V.
white1 (resized).pngwhite1 (resized).png

#8 4 years ago

Guessing is just a wild card. I'd get an oscilloscope on the audio amplifier and start troubleshooting there.

#10 4 years ago

Don’t own an oscilloscope sadly. Will have to research them and get one.
Do you think, subjectively, that if a couple sounds are good (credit sound, U21 in sound test) there is a possibility it could just be chips? This game was terribly corroded when I got it, put in a whole new board set.

Could be. I didn't realize you had "good" sounds. So you have static and missing sounds? Is this continuous background static, or is this actually not static, but distorted sounds only with they are played. I might have misunderstood your symptom.

#12 4 years ago

Distorted sounds only when they are played.

OK. That's probably not the output amplifier section then, especially if you have any good sounds. Your problem is going to be further upstream. I'd seriously suspect any transferred components, such as ROMs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-lost-world-sound-issue-noob-questions?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.