Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

white1 (resized).png

#1 7 days ago

Alright. No stranger to Whitestar, but sound issues in Whitestar, oh yeah.

Let me give all y’all some background on this one.

I picked this game up from a guy who did a bulk warehouse buy. This thing had been sitting for a VERY long time.

The CPU that game with this game is destroyed from battery damage, it’s not salvageable. Also, some water damage and mold is apparent.

I decided to swap all three boards from Striker Xtreme to make this game boot.

I cleaned the CPU chip as best I could, I have a new one and the display one to match coming soon.

Anyways - the largest issue at this point: the sound is coming in fine - except for an extreme amount of static.

I do believe the ROM chip is bad as every third boot or so will cause a factory reset.

Is this the speaker? The lines look fine. Is it the ROM? A connection on a board?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 7 days ago

Static can come from many possibilities. What kind of static? Analog noise that sounds like ocean waves? Digital noise like popcorn? Usually analog static is introduced in the final stages of audio amplification, digital noise sources are usually rooted much deeper and further up the pipeline. The first thing to check is to make sure you have clean audio power. Not just the proper DC voltage levels that feed the amplifiers, but also check for AC ripple and clean grounding.

You can most likely rule out the boards that were replaced (although that is never 100% guaranteed). Speakers are not usually the source of static. I'd focus on board interconnect cables - especially those that interface CPU sound to sound boards. It doesn't take much to cause a sound problem, a little oxidation or a slightly loose crimp can cause noise problems. So that's what I would investigate next, after looking into the power source condition.

#3 7 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Static can come from many possibilities. What kind of static? Analog noise that sounds like ocean waves? Digital noise like popcorn? Usually analog static is introduced in the final stages of audio amplification, digital noise sources are usually rooted much deeper and further up the pipeline. The first thing to check is to make sure you have clean audio power. Not just the proper DC voltage levels that feed the amplifiers, but also check for AC ripple and clean grounding.
You can most likely rule out the boards that were replaced (although that is never 100% guaranteed). Speakers are not usually the source of static. I'd focus on board interconnect cables - especially those that interface CPU sound to sound boards. It doesn't take much to cause a sound problem, a little oxidation or a slightly loose crimp can cause noise problems. So that's what I would investigate next, after looking into the power source condition.

Just roaring static, like an amp with a bad connection.

I’ll find the Whitestar guide on pinwiki for how and where to test those things. Thanks man.

#4 7 days ago
Quoted from Mistermoberg:

Just roaring static, like an amp with a bad connection.
I’ll find the Whitestar guide on pinwiki for how and where to test those things. Thanks man.

Your welcome. Good luck, hope you get an easy fix.

#5 6 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Your welcome. Good luck, hope you get an easy fix.

While pinwiki describes what to do - it doesn’t describe how to test for this. How and where do I check for +12 and -12?

#6 6 days ago

While pinwiki describes what to do - it doesn’t describe how to test for this. How and where do I check for +12 and -12?

Check the voltages on the board. On the DC input connector CN2 there should be approx. +12V DC between pin 2 (ground) and pin 6 (+12V) and ­-12V between pin 2 (ground) and pin 3 (­-12V), these voltages come from the Power Supply Board. On the board itself are two voltage regulators to convert the +12V and ­12V to +5V and ­5V for the pre­amplifiers, check these voltages by measuring between the ground (GND test point) and U30 pin 8 for +5V,U30 pin 4 for ­5V.
white1 (resized).png

#7 1 day ago

Voltages came up fine - in the sound test - U21 is fine, everything else is static + sounds.

Should I replace the sound chips?

#8 22 hours ago

Guessing is just a wild card. I'd get an oscilloscope on the audio amplifier and start troubleshooting there.

#9 22 hours ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Guessing is just a wild card. I'd get an oscilloscope on the audio amplifier and start troubleshooting there.

Don’t own an oscilloscope sadly. Will have to research them and get one.

Do you think, subjectively, that if a couple sounds are good (credit sound, U21 in sound test) there is a possibility it could just be chips? This game was terribly corroded when I got it, put in a whole new board set.

#10 9 hours ago

Don’t own an oscilloscope sadly. Will have to research them and get one.
Do you think, subjectively, that if a couple sounds are good (credit sound, U21 in sound test) there is a possibility it could just be chips? This game was terribly corroded when I got it, put in a whole new board set.

Could be. I didn't realize you had "good" sounds. So you have static and missing sounds? Is this continuous background static, or is this actually not static, but distorted sounds only with they are played. I might have misunderstood your symptom.

#11 6 hours ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Could be. I didn't realize you had "good" sounds. So you have static and missing sounds? Is this continuous background static, or is this actually not static, but distorted sounds only with they are played. I might have misunderstood your symptom.

Distorted sounds only when they are played.

#12 6 hours ago

Distorted sounds only when they are played.

OK. That's probably not the output amplifier section then, especially if you have any good sounds. Your problem is going to be further upstream. I'd seriously suspect any transferred components, such as ROMs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside