IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG
CAM00679.jpg
CAM00674.jpg
CAM00675.jpg
CAM00670.jpg
CAM00671.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I guess maybe not a total restoration since I barely know what I'm doing,a but here goes! Game was just super dirty and lots of little bits of rust/oxidation so got a tumbler to get everything polished and saw a couple BRyan Kelly threads with really useful tumbling tips so giving it a go!

Taking a boatload of pics so if anyone wants torn down junkayrd pics they are at http://s886.photobucket.com/user/jrivelli/library/junkyard?sort=3&page=1

Biggest so far today was the cleaning then flame polishing of left ramp. Came out a lot better than I thought it would. (sorry, forgot to take before of ramp out of game, but it was definitely the wrong color)

IMG_2056.JPGIMG_2056.JPG
IMG_2083.JPGIMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2082.JPGIMG_2082.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Looks good! I did this to all my WW ramps... pretty fun knowing you can also ruin them if you overdo it. Works great though.
JY is a strange but fun game... getting ready to add spotlights and strips ala "PinballBulbs-style"

#3 10 years ago

Sweet toilet

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Looks good! I did this to all my WW ramps... pretty fun knowing you can also ruin them if you overdo it. Works great though.
JY is a strange but fun game... getting ready to add spotlights and strips ala "PinballBulbs-style"

haha idk if "fun" is the word I use, but i like it! Yeah, Ill be doing that pinballbulbs style as well when I put this back together

#5 10 years ago

Got the other ramp. Done. Managed to not eff it up too

CAM00671.jpgCAM00671.jpg CAM00670.jpgCAM00670.jpg
#6 10 years ago

Are there any good posts on here about how to rivet things back on? I found a couple posts about it, but nothing super defniitive

#7 10 years ago

Great work. Does flame-polishing mess with the stickers at all?

I'd be interested in knowing how to rivet the ramp entrances back on too.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Great work. Does flame-polishing mess with the stickers at all?
I'd be interested in knowing how to rivet the ramp entrances back on too.

Only if you flame them :p. Biggest thing is that ramps need to get super clean or dirt is burned in

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Are there any good posts on here about how to rivet things back on? I found a couple posts about it, but nothing super defniitive

Lots of info on riveting if you do a search. Sometimes the search can be weird. Many times I'll do a google search and it will point me to something here.

Pinrestore has some good options. You can make a rivet press with a fairly inexpensive arbor press. I also have a more portable C clamp style press. Some guy was selling them on ebay for restoring Tonka trucks. I've had a few rivets I couldn't get to with the big press, the little C clamp gets everywhere.

If you are only doing a couple, look for someone local with a press. It's a fairly sizable investment.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Lots of info on riveting if you do a search. Sometimes the search can be weird. Many times I'll do a google search and it will point me to something here.
Pinrestore has some good options. You can make a rivet press with a fairly inexpensive arbor press. I also have a more portable C clamp style press. Some guy was selling them on ebay for restoring Tonka trucks. I've had a few rivets I couldn't get to with the big press, the little C clamp gets everywhere.
If you are only doing a couple, look for someone local with a press. It's a fairly sizable investment.

These are for the targets on the junkyard cars. Seems like a massive pain and investment for just this. May just use small screws and nuts and it'll look good and work well and be easy

#11 10 years ago

Maybe worst light but was able to get this pretty clean and now no need to ricet. Woo hoo!

CAM00675.jpgCAM00675.jpg CAM00674.jpgCAM00674.jpg
#12 10 years ago

Simple green soak amd alcohol wipe down. Like new!

CAM00679.jpgCAM00679.jpg
#13 10 years ago

This is the one recently purchased by pdxmonkey and was sold as already shopped and clean?saw your other post on the original FS thread.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from nailhead:

This is the one recently purchased by pdxmonkey and was sold as already shopped and clean?saw your other post on the original FS thread.

That is correct. Was just a bit surprised by the description in that thread and then seeing the game

#15 10 years ago

Meant to tell you that your title is mispelled

#16 10 years ago

Update?

#17 10 years ago

Got it mostly done with a lot fo pics. Looks pretty good. Thread didnt have any replies in it so I figured most people not interested in junkyard so stopped posting updated and pics. Didnt want to have 20 posts in a row of myself only

#18 10 years ago

But, since you asked. Here are a few pics of the end result of some sections. Got all the posts cleaned, nuts and polished tumbled and then grinded and then some polished agan since so much oxidation on them. Pulled some bottom assemblies and switches to tumbled as well

IMG_2096.JPGIMG_2096.JPG IMG_2097.JPGIMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPGIMG_2098.JPG IMG_2099.JPGIMG_2099.JPG IMG_2100.JPGIMG_2100.JPG IMG_2101.JPGIMG_2101.JPG IMG_2102.JPGIMG_2102.JPG IMG_2103.JPGIMG_2103.JPG
#19 10 years ago

wow that looks great, I also have a JY and am really excited to shop it. I have one with the magnet under the crane... im not 100% sure cause I am just getting into pinball (falling hard so amazing) but the ones with the magnets were prototypes right??? I have never checked but it doesn't seem to ever be activated... does anybody have any other info on this.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

wow that looks great, I also have a JY and am really excited to shop it. I have one with the magnet under the crane... im not 100% sure cause I am just getting into pinball (falling hard so amazing) but the ones with the magnets were prototypes right??? I have never checked but it doesn't seem to ever be activated... does anybody have any other info on this.

Yup, prototype. No code was ever implemented for it though. I hear it just affects the swinging ball at times

#21 10 years ago

Wow that looks sweet

I also have a JY with a magnet but the magnet don't work was told that theres is no program for it

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Biggest so far today was the cleaning then flame polishing of left ramp. Came out a lot better than I thought it would. (sorry, forgot to take before of ramp out of game, but it was definitely the wrong color)

Flame Polishing isn't for Everyone ,, but when Ya know how to do it Rite ,, the ramps will lOOk New ..

Great work bro !! I haven't owned JY ( Yet ) , 1- day .. Keep up the gOOd work .. B_R

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Flame Polishing isn't for Everyone ,, but when Ya know how to do it Rite ,, the ramps will lOOk New ..
Great work bro !! I haven't owned JY ( Yet ) , 1- day .. Keep up the gOOd work .. B_R

Thanks BR. Yeah, if done right they look badass! If done wrong....ouch

#24 10 years ago

I need to check if mine has magnet cause it seems like it stops the ball from swinging at times so I'm guessing mine has it too! Wish there was a diff code to make it work as it original was going to, or whatever!

1 week later
#25 10 years ago

How did it turn out ?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from nailhead:

How did it turn out ?

Oh hey, sorry. Turned out really good. Any game with ramps that take up a good portion of the back of the game and go from clean to dirty are just such a cool transformation. Makes the whole game look different. Been tracking down an opto error. PBL sent me wrong ones so a big delayed on the correct ones getting sent out. Learned a ton about tumbling and metal polishing overall since I took this one that one small next step so that was pretty fun. I'll try to snag some more pics of stuff once fully up and working!

#27 10 years ago

Underside came out alright too. Forgot a before here, sorry! Took quick pics with cell phone, not sure what glare on bottom subway is, its clear like upper ramps

CAM00701.jpgCAM00701.jpg
CAM00702.jpgCAM00702.jpg

#28 10 years ago

I've always been curious about "flame polishing" a ramp. How is that done?? Does anyone have a link to a good thread here that discusses the tips in doing this?

A little more detail in how you do some of your cleaning would be appreciated for us still learning! Like, when cleaning your star posts in a "simple green soak"? What is that?

Thanks and looking good so far! I just bought a JY myself after playing this a week ago on location and love it. What an underrated Williams title!!

#29 10 years ago

I've Flame Polished Lots of ramp's and Only film'd a few .. Here's a couple .. Type in Flame Polishing in the Search box on the Home page for More info .. !! Be Careful !!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I've always been curious about "flame polishing" a ramp. How is that done?? Does anyone have a link to a good thread here that discusses the tips in doing this?
A little more detail in how you do some of your cleaning would be appreciated for us still learning! Like, when cleaning your star posts in a "simple green soak"? What is that?
Thanks and looking good so far! I just bought a JY myself after playing this a week ago on location and love it. What an underrated Williams title!!

Sure thing. I grab a tupperware from dollar store and then pour in some simple green and mix a bit of hot water. The simple green tells you the portions to mix, but I make it whatever they say, but way stronger. So, put in more simple green. Let them soak for an hour or so, pull out and either wipe with cloth or scrub with old tooth brush. Most of the stuff just fell off.

CAM00711.jpgCAM00711.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Here are my flame polishing steps, which I consider super important:

1. Pull everything off the ramp, metal wires etc.
2. Clean ramp with simple green to get any major gunk off. I dont mix simple green for this cleaning, just spray on rag and wipe.
3. Use Novus 2 to remove the ball lines and tougher stains. Really take your time and scrub hard. Anything left on will stay when flame polished forever.
4. Use alcohol on a clean rag to wipe all residue off. At this point the ramp will be pretty dang clean and clear.
5. Get a butane cooking torch from basically any grocery store. ( http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mUEkEh1H1UUjypCC5X-kJJQ.jpg) Doesnt matter what you get.

I like to click it on and off, not constantly leave it on. I go in a sweeping motion and apply direct flame, but for in any one spot for too long. As you get good at it you will see the clarity in the ramps, but also be careful not to apply heat for too long in one spot or too direct as it will warp ramp or get burn marks. I recommend the cooking torch since lower heat and easier to not mess things up for the novice and light weight.

Hope that all helps!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junkyard-restoation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.