• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00319.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Here's the issue...

When the ball goes around the magic bus loop with speed and "magic bus" is lit, sometimes the switch will trip and then de-activate, causing the ball to just be sent back to the right flipper. The momentum of the ball off the up-post will cause the ball to trip the switch, then the ball backs up the ramp a bit, causing the switch to de-activate. There is normally a grace period, but sometimes there is not.

And when there is not, it is extremely annoying. When this lack of a grace period happens during "Mamushka" or any mode for that matter, sometime the up-post will just stay up and lock the ball, and the only way to get it down is to shut off the machine.

I duplicate this by manually tripping the switches, then dropping the bus switch. The machine just assumes there was no ball. But I can't duplicate the lack of grace period. This only happens on a hard shot, and it only takes the blink of an eye for it to occur.

I just installed a brand new switch and new diode hoping to fix this, and I am right back where I started. And yes, they were soldered in correctly.

Has this happened to anyone else? And what have you done to fix it? I have already ruined one switch trying to solve this. Bending the actuator this way and that way. I ended up ruining the plastic nubs that hold the actuator.

#2 10 years ago

Oh, man! I was playing my Junk Yard tonight and I THINK I had the same thing to happen. When the ball goes around the magic bus loop my switch has suddenly stopped registering and the ball ALWAYS goes to the right flipper. Plus, it does not reward me with a piece of junk. Looks like I'll be changing out a switch too, and I sure hope I don't have the same problems you have. If I do, I'll be in the same boat because I won't know what to do then! I wish you the best. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone gives a solution. Good luck!
Mike

#3 10 years ago

I had a problem similar to the symptoms you described.
I bent the switch further down and it hasn't happened since.
Weird that a new switch didn't solve your problems though...

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Plus, it does not reward me with a piece of junk.

This is different than the issue I am having. I never have issues with "collect junk", only with "magic bus". Both the switches always trip. For yours, I would assume you never tripped the second switch up by the curve.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I bent the switch further down and it hasn't happened since.

I wish this would solve it for me, but this is the first move I made the last time. Issue with bending the switch further down is it will stop the ball after the up-post drops. As it is right now, the switch is maxed out in space just the way it was made. I came up with all sorts of bent angles with the same results.

Should point out that the code in my machine is 1.2 and 1.0 sound. Also, the switch I used was a 5647-12693-21. There is also a 12693-19 switch very similar to this, but it has a stiffer actuator, so I went with the 21 so the ball would travel easier.

#5 10 years ago

I've had a somewhat similar problem. My flippers are strong so the ball really rockets up those ramps. 9 times out of 10 it will hit the Magic Bus post and bounce off of it, causing the ball to drop down into the doghouse hole instead of coming to rest against the post. Most of the time the game will recognize that the ball isn't resting against the post, but every once in a while the post will remain energized and stay up until some other major event (like multiball, video mode, etc.) resets it.

Not quite the same problem you're having as it's not related to the switch I guess, but still annoying...

Sounds like you're making progress on your problem though.

#6 10 years ago

I tryed putting a strip of very thin felt like Velcro along the back side of the ramp to slow the ball down

it seem to helped mine out

#7 10 years ago

Well, here's a thought. Could it be something wrong with the first ramp switch? I'm fairly certain my machine will energize the "Magic Bus Post" if the shot is lit and the ball only makes it halfway up the ramp. After about 3 or 4secs, when the second switch is never triggered, it sends the post back down. Maybe your first switch is energizing the post but getting stuck so it stays up or something? Just an idea.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from PBaller22:

Could it be something wrong with the first ramp switch?

Nada...I wish it was that easy but both switches are functioning fine. The game is functioning 100%.

When the ball trips the ramp entry switch with "magic bus" lit, the up post fires up, and will fall if nothing triggers the second switch via a halfway shot or a fall behind the ramp into the doghouse. It is the rapid activate/de-activate of the ramp exit switch that seems to "confuse" (I guess that's the best description) the machine.

Quoted from canea:

9 times out of 10 it will hit the Magic Bus post and bounce off of it, causing the ball to drop down into the doghouse hole instead of coming to rest against the post.

Yah, that's a similar issue to mine. And....Wow!!! If you are referring to the halfway hole that awards you a dog shot then that is one hell of a ricochet. I love JY for it's speed game, but damn.

Quoted from Turboderf:

I tryed putting a strip of very thin felt like Velcro along the back side of the ramp to slow the ball down
it seem to helped mine out

I have had thoughts of adding something back there as well; but being relatively new to the hobby, I didn't want to add something out of fear that it would eventually damage, scratch, or pit the ball and, eventually, my damn near perfect playfield.

Can someone chime in on this? Is this safe to do? I had thoughts of adding clear tape.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from balselly:

Nada...I wish it was that easy but both switches are functioning fine. The game is functioning 100%.
When the ball trips the ramp entry switch with "magic bus" lit, the up post fires up, and will fall if nothing triggers the second switch via a halfway shot or a fall behind the ramp into the doghouse. It is the rapid activate/de-activate of the ramp exit switch that seems to "confuse" (I guess that's the best description) the machine.

Yah, that's a similar issue to mine. And....Wow!!! If you are referring to the halfway hole that awards you a dog shot then that is one hell of a ricochet. I love JY for it's speed game, but damn.

I have had thoughts of adding something back there as well; but being relatively new to the hobby, I didn't want to add something out of fear that it would eventually damage, scratch, or pit the ball and, eventually, my damn near perfect playfield.
Can someone chime in on this? Is this safe to do? I had thoughts of adding clear tape.

I have mine on for about 3 years now and looks to be holding up well

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from balselly:

One thing I've used in the past is sticky tack with a little piece of felt in shooter lanes that have been difficult to adjust. The sticky tack holds well and comes right off when you want to remove it.

#11 10 years ago

I will look into this since the two of you seem to be in agreement. If it is what I am thinking it is, then I can imagine it working.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

For those of you interested in the result of this...

I added felt lining on both the inside and backside of the bus ramp at the curve.

The two pieces came together to almost hug the ball perfectly. Lightly grabbing the ball but not enough to negatively interfere with it.

The result is a positive one, but not perfect. But I did play eight games without a flaw before one hard shot finally resulted with a hard enough ricochet to de-activate the switch.

On an improvement scale of 10, I would give this fix an 8.

Would still love to hear other ideas if someone should have one.

#13 10 years ago

8 is not bad for a simple fix

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from balselly:

For those of you interested in the result of this...
I added felt lining on both the inside and backside of the bus ramp at the curve.

I also experimented with this this weekend. I put a piece of felt on the outside of the curve just before the magic bus. I've only played a couple games on it, but the results were very positive. A couple of times it still bounced off the post pretty solidly, but never enough to fall off the ramp. Out of the 5 or 6 magic bus shots, all of them stuck. Sure is nice to actually get the magic bus awards.

I'm thinking a piece of felt on the bus ramp somewhere right behind the cars/wrecking ball where it's even less visible would be good.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

8 is not bad for a simple fix

Simple and cheap my friend. A strip of felt at Wally World (Wal-Mart) only cost me 11 cents. And I used glue tape to adhere it.

Quoted from canea:

I put a piece of felt on the outside of the curve just before the magic bus.

I tried this first with no positive result. Glad you were able to see some positive impact. Thicknesses of felt lining may also vary?

Probably should have added a pic yesterday, so I figured I would add one now.

DSC00319.JPGDSC00319.JPG

#16 10 years ago

If you use super-bands on JY this is needed as they tend to fling the ball down that ramp at supersonic speeds and indeed it will fall off after hitting the post and end up in the doghouse (literally). I may try a touch of black felt myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junkyard-ownersi-need-your-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.