IMG_4923 (resized).JPG
IMG_4921 (resized).JPG
IMG_4916 (resized).JPG
IMG_4913 (resized).JPG
IMG_4904 (resized).JPG
IMG_4876 (resized).JPG
IMG_4899 (resized).JPG
IMG_4875 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Just wrapped up my last project on Escape of the Lost world and am ready to jump into a new one. I've typically done posts after a project is complete, but this will be my first somewhat realtime job.

I recently did a trade and ended up with a JY, complete with blank NOS playfield, as well as a partially populated JY playfield with production harness and other parts. The playfield currently on the game is a very early dev/proto, with several decals that were stickers, and lots of holes in the back right corner where they were trying out different mechs (looks like it originally had pops?). I will try and document some of this here as I go along, although the previous owner has these pictures up on IPDB as well if you search for Junk Yard.

Full disclosure -- I've shopped games and done some restoration work but never done a full playfield swap so this will be a bit of learning as I go along. I'm looking forward to it!

#2 7 years ago

Here's JY, from garage down to my basement game room. running good.. ready to start tearing it apart.

IMG_1581 (resized).JPGIMG_1581 (resized).JPG

IMG_1582 (resized).JPGIMG_1582 (resized).JPG

IMG_1583 (resized).JPGIMG_1583 (resized).JPG

IMG_1589 (resized).JPGIMG_1589 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

First step was to build a rotesserie. I followed skypilots guide. It turned out pretty good I thought.. great design!

IMG_1901 (resized).JPGIMG_1901 (resized).JPG

IMG_1904 (resized).JPGIMG_1904 (resized).JPG

IMG_1905 (resized).JPGIMG_1905 (resized).JPG

IMG_1913 (resized).JPGIMG_1913 (resized).JPG

IMG_1949 (resized).JPGIMG_1949 (resized).JPG

IMG_1965 (resized).JPGIMG_1965 (resized).JPG

IMG_1966 (resized).JPGIMG_1966 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Rotesserie complete.. time to decide what to do next.. I need to strip the other playfield I have, wax the NOS one, and look at other parts I need to order. At some point I need to strip the proto PF as well.. just not sure what order to start things quite yet.

IMG_1974 (resized).JPGIMG_1974 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

New Decals for the cab from retro refurb:

IMG_1918 (resized).JPGIMG_1918 (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Got a package from ministry of pinball -- only one I've had arrive registered mail.. requiring a post office trip. Question -- anyone have advice for removing the middle apron decal? It needs replacing.. but I don't want to damage anything else as the rest is ok.

IMG_1980 (resized).JPGIMG_1980 (resized).JPG

IMG_1981 (resized).JPGIMG_1981 (resized).JPG

IMG_1982 (resized).JPGIMG_1982 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

Ordered a lot of new parts, most of which have arrived now:

IMG_1983 (resized).JPGIMG_1983 (resized).JPG

IMG_1984 (resized).JPGIMG_1984 (resized).JPG

IMG_1985 (resized).JPGIMG_1985 (resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

Box of nos/ used parts that came with jy:

IMG_1986 (resized).JPGIMG_1986 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I believe the original aprons weren't decals - they were screen printed. You'll have to strip and powdercoat the apron, then put the new decals on.

Yeah I looked closer and seems you're right. I think the gunk on mine might clean off with good off it naphtha though and negate the need to redecal hopefully. Apron in good condition otherwise.

#11 7 years ago

Thought about documenting this and the need for lots of pictures. I have previously been using my phone and it's a annoying to try and zoom in on pictures for reassembly.

Decided to pull the trigger on a tablet, went with the mini to still be light weight but with a much bigger screen than the phone.

Need to pick up paint pens and I think I can get started stripping the production harness off.

IMG_2012 (resized).JPGIMG_2012 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

Apparently you should label with paint pens on tape if running the harness thru an ultra sonic cleaner or dishwasher.. so I picked up a few today. Should get the pf locked down this weekend and hopefully start some disassembly

IMG_2021 (resized).JPGIMG_2021 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I saw someone in another thread have luck with WD-40 when naptha/goo gone/alcohol weren't effective.

Ha ForceFlow I think we read the same thread just picked up some wd40 today, pretty sure my other can is lost in the garage.

Quoted from dung:

What do you plan on doing about the decals on the playfield? My early pm has at least one (text under matra). I didn't realize it till after I pulled the mylar.

Decals are staying -- I have a nos factory cleared pf to swap everything to. The one I'm about to strip was given to me for the harness and any parts needed, play field isn't mine though. The proto one in the game currently is being retired

dung did pulling the Mylar on your pm damage the decal? Curious what you did with it.. repair and re-cover with Mylar?

#16 7 years ago

Took some all-thread and got the bottom pf secured thru holes. Top is clamped to blocks and of wood.

IMG_0022 (resized).JPGIMG_0022 (resized).JPG
IMG_0024 (resized).JPGIMG_0024 (resized).JPG
IMG_0026 (resized).JPGIMG_0026 (resized).JPG

Ready to flip it and start cutting and labeling. Seems to sag a bit in the middle, thinking about reinforcing from the sides

#17 7 years ago

Got a shaker motor in as well - going to do some fiddling with it and see if I can't get it to go off on crane shots, and maybe pulse with each toilet bowl switch trigger

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPG

#18 7 years ago

This also arrived.. I was advised to stick with a silk screen but I don't have one so I thought I'd try this out. Not too picky about something you never see. However -- major fail, I took it out of the tube and failed to note the staples poking thru that held the cap in place. Sssscratch!

Dammt!!!! Will deal with that later I guess
IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG

#19 7 years ago

Think this thing has taken a lot of direct hits from balls from the vuk?!?

IMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Hmm gonna have to match up some wires with the complete proto pf.. these were cut already.
IMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPG

Harness not too dirty but it's for sure going in an ultra sonic bath
IMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago

Ok blue tape is out on some of this, photo labels in.

IMG_0057 (resized).JPGIMG_0057 (resized).JPG

#22 7 years ago

Just took a look under the proto pf- red proto lamp boards. Kinda cool, may throw these on the nos pf.. any reason not to?

IMG_0060 (resized).JPGIMG_0060 (resized).JPG

Cab is pretty damn clean for a game this old.
IMG_0064 (resized).JPGIMG_0064 (resized).JPG

Magnet. Wish I knew what the idea was going to be behind this.. I think it would be cool to use the crane action as a trigger to another micro controller to utilize the magnet. Of course new pf won't have magnet so moot point.

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG

Check out the difference in the subways.. I will be reusing the clean one lol. Going to be using other parts from both pfs though.. interesting to see the different conditions of parts.. you'd think one machine would have all better condition parts but that's not the case

IMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0061 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPG

#24 7 years ago

Slow going.. working across left side. Lots of labeled pictures.

IMG_0083 (resized).JPGIMG_0083 (resized).JPG

The vuk connectors to the Optos that feeds the refridge are different on the proto harness .. will have to sort that out later

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cool project! Love the game.
As for the magnet, I believe the only point of that was to stabilize the wrecking ball.
I would use the red lamp boards, why not.

Yeah, too bad they never did the code. Wasn't sure if the proto lamp boards are worse an any way than production ones in terms of reliability or durability..

#26 7 years ago

Screw organization and example of picture labeling

IMG_0070 (resized).JPGIMG_0070 (resized).JPG

IMG_0090 (resized).JPGIMG_0090 (resized).JPG

IMG_0076 (resized).JPGIMG_0076 (resized).JPG

#27 7 years ago

Left side complete. Done for today.

IMG_0099 (resized).JPGIMG_0099 (resized).JPG

#29 7 years ago

Success - harness removed !

IMG_2032 (resized).JPGIMG_2032 (resized).JPG

IMG_2034 (resized).JPGIMG_2034 (resized).JPG

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Those larger AWG wires are flipper wires there.

The magnet was planned to 'throw' the crane, to make it more difficult in hitting Jackpots, etc. It was later determined that the crane, just resting there, was difficult enough.
For the red board, entirely up to you. It's possible that if boards are different configurations, you won't be able to, but if they match, then sure. I would NOT throw out the boards you remove, though, as some lights may have moved switch matrix positions, and using the original boards may cause the lamps to revert back to older positions. (Exactly the case with the difference in wiring with the VUK kicker plug.) I would be sure to use the production wire harness, and before using the red boards, check them.

Thanks Coyote !! Matched up the flipper and eos wires, that's interesting about the crane. Probably a good choice, would be interesting to have seen it in action though. Red boards seem to match up but I'll find out for sure later once I get the proto pf stripped.

#31 7 years ago

Pile o lamp boards.
IMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0126 (resized).JPG
Looked clean from the back but fronts could use a wash! Going in a bin for the ultra sonic cleaner.
IMG_0127 (resized).JPGIMG_0127 (resized).JPG

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Just got a junk yard form a fellow pinside. I'm planning on a tear down and thorough cleaning. I'll be following this thread so try to post daily hope you don't mind if I shoot you a pm or two if I have questions as I'll be doing something similar very soon. Well written posts, and keep them coming Mbecker!

Thanks Buju - I prob won't be working on it every day but will try to keep the posts coming PM's are great, and if you need any photos let me know as I took a ton, many of them lebeled.

#34 7 years ago

So.. the dog loop-de-do mech, seems to be a broken weld on both of mine.. unless there was never a cross piece on these. Can anyone confirm?

IMG_2058 (resized).JPGIMG_2058 (resized).JPG

IMG_2059 (resized).JPGIMG_2059 (resized).JPG

#35 7 years ago

Well this plunger has seen some wet days!
IMG_2068 (resized).JPGIMG_2068 (resized).JPG

Bottom almost clear

IMG_0157 (resized).JPGIMG_0157 (resized).JPG

And done. Time to flip to pull last topside piecesAnd done. Time to flip to pull last topside pieces

#36 7 years ago

This dog - err- thing is TOAST!

IMG_0167 (resized).JPGIMG_0167 (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago

Hmmm but if you look at Marco new ones have that.. seems like it's supposed to be there but is a design flaw due to hitting the pf as you say. Guess it works fine without it

#39 7 years ago

Few final guides on the top.

IMG_0161 (resized).JPGIMG_0161 (resized).JPG

And we're done. Gonna take the rails off tomorrow and swap to nos to straighten 'er up.

IMG_0169 (resized).JPGIMG_0169 (resized).JPG

Here's the nos one thrown up on the table.. looks nice, can't wait to start assembling but I've got another one to strip first
IMG_0170 (resized).JPGIMG_0170 (resized).JPG

#40 7 years ago

Who says ghosting is only on new stern playfields??

IMG_0173 (resized).JPGIMG_0173 (resized).JPG

IMG_0174 (resized).JPGIMG_0174 (resized).JPG

#41 7 years ago

Everything sorted into bins. Done for today. Avoiding the next step cause it means I won't get to play jy for a good while.

IMG_0177 (resized).JPGIMG_0177 (resized).JPG

IMG_0178 (resized).JPGIMG_0178 (resized).JPG

IMG_0179 (resized).JPGIMG_0179 (resized).JPG

IMG_0180 (resized).JPGIMG_0180 (resized).JPG

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly, that was the hardest part for me on my TZ, too. To fill in the gaps, I installed VP on my laptop so I could play *a* TZ when mine was down.

Haha I like that -- although if I did that then I'd just be playing pinball instead of working on the restore still got 3 here that can keep me occupied lol

#44 7 years ago

30l Ultrasonic ordered.. dang that's cash I didn't want to drop but I'm told it's worth it! Had to do something though cause now I've got parts that need some cleaning

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wow. Nice purchase! I did everything in my small Harbor Freight cleaner. That thing paid itself off five times over.

What size was the hb one? Harness in it too? I have no idea if 30l is too big or I could have gotten away with 22 or 15.. I def. want the harness in it though and maybe it will fit some larger items which could be nice

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Mine is like, the 5l size, or smaller. I did the wiring harness, but it's so small that only sections at a time.

Haha ok well I guess 30 will come in handy then!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have to ask, why take a unique prototype game and make it just an ordinary junkyard? Why not restore it as a prototype and somehow figure out how to get it to work? Seems like a waste to me. Or, did I miss something.

It works fine -- but playing the crap out of the play field will destroy it and history with it. I am saving the Playfield from further wear/destruction. Honestly it's only the Playfield that is different from any other junk yard, but play wise it's all the same. Nothing special you would enjoy playing on it that you wouldn't enjoy on a nos one.

i don't know that you can really restore a prototype pf without destroying some of its uniqueness in the first place .. But regardless I have no reason not to swap to the nos one, it's much nicer and the proto is preserved.

#51 7 years ago

Last game for a while.. time to unplug connectors

IMG_2077 (resized).JPGIMG_2077 (resized).JPG

#52 7 years ago

Old pf warp with rails removed - shown against a glass sheet

IMG_0182 (resized).JPGIMG_0182 (resized).JPG

The one time I'm using power drill.. these rail screws are too damn long

IMG_0183 (resized).JPGIMG_0183 (resized).JPG

The new wms eos switches!!! Man those were an improvement!

IMG_0184 (resized).JPGIMG_0184 (resized).JPG

#53 7 years ago

Rails on nos pf to straighten. Now time to start unplugging connectors

IMG_0186 (resized).JPGIMG_0186 (resized).JPG

#54 7 years ago

BIt of annoyance with jy-- with the ball prepping in the fridge vuk you always have a ball coming loose in the game when you lift the play field.

IMG_2079 (resized).JPGIMG_2079 (resized).JPG
IMG_2080 (resized).JPGIMG_2080 (resized).JPG

#55 7 years ago

First time working with this speaker panel and light box system. Nice to not have a board swinging out on one side in your way and looks vex the speaker panel hinge system!

IMG_0187 (resized).JPGIMG_0187 (resized).JPG

IMG_0189 (resized).JPGIMG_0189 (resized).JPG

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting pic there. I hope you took more of the game that you just didn't post here of the proto field before you stripped it.
That crane isn't production. (In that last pic there..) Very interesting. Maybe it's just missing the decals, not sure..

That's the proto -- yes. No decals on crane. I am pulling that pf out right now, no stripping has occurred yet lots of photos of the topside to be coming henceforth.. will likely start Friday.

#58 7 years ago

HEres some decal examples on the proto --
Note the folded corner on the "window shopping" decal, which was then mylared. Toast decals -- one IS pretty toast that was not mylared, toaster gun decal as well.

IMG_0204 (resized).JPGIMG_0204 (resized).JPG

IMG_0205 (resized).JPGIMG_0205 (resized).JPG

IMG_0206 (resized).JPGIMG_0206 (resized).JPG

#59 7 years ago

High voltage to Dmd disconnected for good.. colordmd is going in its place. Hoping it gets colored this year

IMG_2084 (resized).JPGIMG_2084 (resized).JPG

#60 7 years ago

What the hell are these magnets for? Is this an anti-electrical interference thing?
IMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPG

And anyone know how to fix the gold lettering without buying a whole new panel?
IMG_0207 (resized).JPGIMG_0207 (resized).JPG

#61 7 years ago

Going to be washing all wiring so no labeling of connectors which I usually do.. just pictures should suffice.

IMG_2089 (resized).JPGIMG_2089 (resized).JPG

#62 7 years ago

Removal much faster without labeling.. ha! Boards are in good condition.. might install nvram though, will get new ribbon connectors and have new fuses to switch out where needed if any values are incorrect

IMG_0208 (resized).JPGIMG_0208 (resized).JPG

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

RFI - keep the signal from the DMD to the driver clean, reduce noise.

See, *Thats* the kind of crap I like, and why I'm interested in that playfield. What did that second insert say? ("TOAST GUN"?) Amazong how worn those are.

Ah! Interesting.. will have to ponder how that works exactly.

Yeah -- the decals are pretty cool, with the magnet under the crane and the holes drilled where pop bumpers used to be. Toaster gun is what I believe it said. Super worn, but still there.

#65 7 years ago

Homage to this machines history -- sent to Europe for a while.

IMG_0209 (resized).JPGIMG_0209 (resized).JPG

Ok pf out -- hate that part. Probably done tonight, about time for dinner

IMG_0210 (resized).JPGIMG_0210 (resized).JPG

IMG_0211 (resized).JPGIMG_0211 (resized).JPG

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The ball also travels back there when the right ramp diverter is down also i believe.

True but unless it's a hard shot it probably wouldn't quite reach the bumpers. I'll have better pictures of it soon to gain a clearer picture of how it was setup hopefully

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The One i went to look at to buy last week went back in that area alot and it was kind of lame lol ...to bad the pop bumper was removed .

Yeah that's kinda sad.. mine rarely goes back that far, usually pretty quick to doghouse. However, I think I've only made a weak bus shot to drop down there maybe 2 or 3 times lol, should have been a reward for hitting that shot

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Nice project. I sandblast my apron and powdercoat it black and then stick the decals, looks very nice
Here are some pics of mine
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0VJOFSVFGqpfJn
And a gameplay video with 0.3 firmware (defeated bob)
» YouTube video
Good luck with your restoration
Greetings

That's a beauty! Like the side decals, debating mirror blades vs decals. Is the .3 software better? I've got 1.2 I believe

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

0.3 has a time machine mode more and i heard they cut more to newer version. But not really sure what in detail.
Some dont like it because the score is unbalance with the 1m shots in the terminator time machine mode. For me its ok.

Terminator mode? Wow gonna have to pick up that rom at least to try it, always love more content

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

You can see it in the video at 1:52

Ha! Ok, I had jumped ahead on the video and missed it. Very cool - but yeah def. a score balancing issue, that's a quick 6 mil you take in there!

#80 7 years ago

Apron removed. Def gonna try wd40 on the gunk but looks like paint was stripped in areas so likely getting the decal in the middle. Touch up needed on bottom

IMG_0213 (resized).JPGIMG_0213 (resized).JPG

IMG_0215 (resized).JPGIMG_0215 (resized).JPG

#81 7 years ago

Got it up on the rotisserie. Typical dirt under apron.

IMG_0230 (resized).JPGIMG_0230 (resized).JPG

Shooter lane wear and drop hole at end of shooter
IMG_0231 (resized).JPGIMG_0231 (resized).JPG
IMG_0232 (resized).JPGIMG_0232 (resized).JPG

Right plastic ramp has repair using a plastic from some other game. Don't think you can find these anymore so I may have to get creative there.
IMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (resized).JPG

Magnet has sunk a bit in play field, sticker above cars peeling up
IMG_0235 (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (resized).JPG
IMG_0234 (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (resized).JPG

#82 7 years ago

Overall not too bad though. Will start tear down topside on Friday.

#83 7 years ago

Wire form has seen better days. Looks like lower part was welded on from a different jy or something - much worse condition and two broken welds at the drop. Going to see about getting a new one but pinball plating and more also said they could spot weld before chroming.

IMG_0238 (resized).JPGIMG_0238 (resized).JPG

IMG_0239 (resized).JPGIMG_0239 (resized).JPG

IMG_0241 (resized).JPGIMG_0241 (resized).JPG

#84 7 years ago

Teaser for Friday -- for anyone with a jy following, compare this area to yours. This is a giant sticker put over the pf. Underside is drilled for pop bumper and at least three switches surrounding it behind rubbers.

IMG_0270 (resized).JPGIMG_0270 (resized).JPG

#85 7 years ago

Ok -- getting a late start but I'm up and going. Got some parts in yesterday, well tools at least.

Ultrasonic cleanerUltrasonic cleaner
Didn't know what to expect for 30l, here's a size comparison against a hand model I hired for the photo lolDidn't know what to expect for 30l, here's a size comparison against a hand model I hired for the photo lol

Magnetic nut drivers -- been wanting these, should have ordered a long time ago. Near impossible to find long "shank/nut-end" drivers that will fit on nuts that are run way down a long bolt end, like under pf pop bolts for example, that are also magnetic and standard size. Ended up getting a set of non-mags.
IMG_2132 (resized).JPGIMG_2132 (resized).JPG

Finally a pin extraction tool to attempt to pull pins out of moles connectors .. we'll see if it actually works
IMG_2134 (resized).JPGIMG_2134 (resized).JPG

#86 7 years ago

Will Ben interesting to see how this cleans up.. pretty discolored as evidenced from areas covered by screw heads

IMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0278 (resized).JPG

IMG_0279 (resized).JPGIMG_0279 (resized).JPG

#87 7 years ago

Dang - this vuk is pretty bent up too.. guess I'll look at ordering a new one

IMG_0280 (resized).JPGIMG_0280 (resized).JPG

#88 7 years ago

Oh found one -- thanks Radius118 !! But it looks different, missing a tab. Another prototype thing. Maybe to mount a back facing light? Would be cool to light up the inside of the fridge with a darker light.. maybe uv, or blue or purple? That mount would have come in handy.. oh well

IMG_0281 (resized).JPGIMG_0281 (resized).JPG

#89 7 years ago

3 extra mounting holes here, looks like bulb locations were different as well.

IMG_0298 (resized).JPGIMG_0298 (resized).JPG

#91 7 years ago

Comparison..

IMG_0299 (resized).JPGIMG_0299 (resized).JPG
IMG_0300 (resized).JPGIMG_0300 (resized).JPG

IMG_0301 (resized).JPGIMG_0301 (resized).JPG

#92 7 years ago

Anyone help me out on this one -- is this the standard bus mount / plastic deflector on production machines?

IMG_0304 (resized).JPGIMG_0304 (resized).JPG

#95 7 years ago

Proto crane vs stock (with decals)

IMG_0316 (resized).JPGIMG_0316 (resized).JPG

IMG_0317 (resized).JPGIMG_0317 (resized).JPG

#96 7 years ago

Backboard offBackboard off

ComparisonComparison

#97 7 years ago

Ok -- here's the "pop bumper" area. Note the holes for switches, and I'm pointing to where the bumper would have been, holes are under the tire track sticker that was then mylared over.

IMG_0337 (resized).JPGIMG_0337 (resized).JPG
IMG_0339 (resized).JPGIMG_0339 (resized).JPG

#98 7 years ago

If anyone has a shot of this area on a stock machine I'd love to see it.. need to know what posts went in here .. thanks!!

IMG_0358 (resized).JPGIMG_0358 (resized).JPG

#99 7 years ago

Wow these got cruddy - looks like someone waxed at some point!
IMG_2144 (resized).JPGIMG_2144 (resized).JPG

Another shot of pop bumper area. Sticker was put over Mylar, plus looks like a Mylar ring around the pop bumper as it's raised below the sticker in a circular pattern.
IMG_0364 (resized).JPGIMG_0364 (resized).JPG

Ok -- time to flip it.
IMG_0363 (resized).JPGIMG_0363 (resized).JPG

#100 7 years ago

On that pop bumper area -- I'd love to see what was printed underneath.. but that would require removing the sticker and likely destroying it in the process... hmm wonder if anyone else has a picture of what it used to look like..?

#101 7 years ago

We are flipped, time to start stripping the bottom .. can't wait to be done stripping stuff and move on to cleaning

IMG_0369 (resized).JPGIMG_0369 (resized).JPG

#102 7 years ago

What's with the blue trough opto board? I have 1 green 1 blue..

IMG_2168 (resized).JPGIMG_2168 (resized).JPG

#103 7 years ago

4 o'clock.. time for some whiskey!

IMG_2209 (resized).JPGIMG_2209 (resized).JPG

#104 7 years ago

Today's aftermath lol

IMG_2207 (resized).JPGIMG_2207 (resized).JPG

IMG_2208 (resized).JPGIMG_2208 (resized).JPG

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Re: Green, Blue trough board. Was like this on all (most?) WPC-95 games. How to tell transmitter from receiver.

Oh ..huh. Not sure why I never noticed that before, makes sense

#107 7 years ago

That's a wrap for today. Little more than 1/3 of harness left.

IMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPG

#108 7 years ago

Wow this has to be one of the filthiest subways I've seen.. be interesting to see how it cleans up

IMG_0387 (resized).JPGIMG_0387 (resized).JPG

IMG_0388 (resized).JPGIMG_0388 (resized).JPG

#109 7 years ago

Here's a closeup of the underside where the pop bumper nest was supposed to be. Note holes that are covered up by the topside decal/sticker

IMG_2287 (resized).JPGIMG_2287 (resized).JPG

IMG_0389 (resized).JPGIMG_0389 (resized).JPG

IMG_0390 (resized).JPGIMG_0390 (resized).JPG

#111 7 years ago

Ok-- I've got all the playfields stripped. Going to start cleaning and cataloging what hardware I need plus extra parts and get a couple final orders in. Habitrail hopefully going out Tuesday for plating with lockdown. Rails and shooter in order as well. Can't decide on chrome legs yet.. spendy.

#112 7 years ago

Here's a comparison of a stock playfield vs the proto, comparing final art changes.

#113 7 years ago

First some shots of proto inserts and sewer wear

IMG_2335 (resized).JPGIMG_2335 (resized).JPG

IMG_2336 (resized).JPGIMG_2336 (resized).JPG

IMG_2337 (resized).JPGIMG_2337 (resized).JPG

IMG_2338 (resized).JPGIMG_2338 (resized).JPG

IMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2339 (resized).JPG

IMG_2340 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPG

#114 7 years ago

Now the comparisons.
Here's what I noticed:
Brown changed to orange around crane area.
Background Green changed to red on both sides where the rat is
Words added on inserts to clarify-- ball recycle, adventures, junk for extra ball, hurry up targets.
Crane became "wrecking ball" on insert.
Arrow added above this insert
Super jackpot separated to two inserts.
Spike insert became "alley"
Great toilet adv. became the great toilet... interesting choice there, prefer latter.
Ball recycle when lit added to blue triangles on outlanes
Pipes extended above apron to display the team member names.
I think that's it?? It appears the pop had a red explosion around it, I'm still thinking I might remove the sticker there to see..

#115 7 years ago

IMG_2351 (resized).JPGIMG_2351 (resized).JPG

IMG_2352 (resized).JPGIMG_2352 (resized).JPG

IMG_2353 (resized).JPGIMG_2353 (resized).JPG

IMG_2354 (resized).JPGIMG_2354 (resized).JPG

IMG_2355 (resized).JPGIMG_2355 (resized).JPG

IMG_2357 (resized).JPGIMG_2357 (resized).JPG

IMG_2358 (resized).JPGIMG_2358 (resized).JPG

IMG_2359 (resized).JPGIMG_2359 (resized).JPG

IMG_2360 (resized).JPGIMG_2360 (resized).JPG

IMG_2361 (resized).JPGIMG_2361 (resized).JPG

IMG_2363 (resized).JPGIMG_2363 (resized).JPG

IMG_2362 (resized).JPGIMG_2362 (resized).JPG

IMG_2364 (resized).JPGIMG_2364 (resized).JPG

IMG_2365 (resized).JPGIMG_2365 (resized).JPG

#116 7 years ago

Ehhh dang all upside down, sorry. Rotate isn't working well for me. But you get the idea..

#117 7 years ago

And look what I found rummaging thru parts Radius118 gave me -- nos fork that isn't damaged. Going to try padding under where that bracket breaks hitting the bottom if the pf and see if that helps.

IMG_0392 (resized).JPGIMG_0392 (resized).JPG

#119 7 years ago

Cleaning time..

Proto lamp boards disassembled

#120 7 years ago

Didn't get get too far today- spent way too long putting together a pinball life order and figuring out hardware to order.

Got these cleaned today:
IMG_2396 (resized).JPGIMG_2396 (resized).JPG

Plus this.. this is the proto so I clipped all the zip ties to clean better, I plan to reuse a lot of it in a home build for my next project.
IMG_2397 (resized).JPGIMG_2397 (resized).JPG

How do you get this corrosion off??
IMG_2398 (resized).JPGIMG_2398 (resized).JPG

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Some of it may come off in the ultrasonic cleaner.
If there is some left, which is likely, you can try using vinegar and other substances, but tossing the target in the tumbler will get almost all of it off. But you'll have to peel the stickers off the targets and remove the sticky residue first.

Yeah -- that's post ultrasonic so tumbler ftw then I hope! Hadn't considered that to be honest, have only done metal parts in the tumblr but esp with the corn husk media I ordered should be good to go..

I spent hours today measuring and figuring out which bolts and screws were #6 or #8, then ordering them. I should have gone to Tacoma screw probably but not knowing this stuff well, it seemed easier to go thru pictures and descriptions at home and bulk pricing prob ended up close anyway. New micro switches ordered as well.

Rubber didn't fair well in ultrasonic lol -- just an experiment anyway but going to order a new refrigerator and toilet, discolored the refridge. Got a couple more orders and I can concentrate on cleaning and polishing .. can't wait to be done finding parts. So much $$$$ out the door lol

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

So many posts! I love this. We love the junk yard around these parts.

Awesome! It quickly became my nephews favorite until it became my next project haha. Hopefully it still runs when back together and colordmd has released a rom for it to boot wacky fun game.. I just noticed today the 2 page backstory in the beginning of the manual lol

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Please clarify something for me. You have a prototype which is something rare. Why are you swapping out the PF to make it a regular game. You are losing the rarity and unusualness of the prototype game. I would think that you would want to, at least, transfer the prototype bits over to the new PF. Not bashing your decision, just asking.

That's the thing on jy -- there's only 1 true prototype part that's different, that being the magnet under the crane. Nos pf is not built for the magnet, and there's no code for it either way. The main differences are in the Playfield art, and the places where mechs were moved around, etc (extra holes in proto Playfield). Also the production harness vs proto harness have differences.

Main point being, a playing proto jy isn't worth much more than a standard production game as there's no feature gameplay differences. It's more interesting, and least to me, to have the Playfield cleaned, waxed, and hung as collector art. Then it's protected from further wear -- as you can see this was already an issue on several inserts.

Another route could have been to ship the proto pf to Cruzman or neo or hep and get it cleared but you kind of lose some uniqueness there as well. Better to save the pf in its existing condition imo.. and given that this package came with a nos pf it made sense to go that route.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

008 GOLD BARE-METAL FOIL & a sharp exacto knife with a lot of patience lol, here's a link...
http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

Thanks! I'll check this out

#132 7 years ago

Radius118

Ultrasonic is pretty sweet! Pain to haul it from bathroom to garage to get the warm water in it to start with..wish I had hot taps outside. Yes - rinsed parts back in bathtub lol, this the wiring harness hanging in there. It did a good job on it, I was satisfied. Decals actually stayed on the targets surprisingly. I'm going to run the other harness thru without clipping the zip ties and see how that goes.. you really don't realize how much wire is there until you clip those ties and open up the bundles!!

Got walnut media brasso and flitz from prev project so I'll give them a shot to clean those things up.

Shouldnt need new t nuts -- those should be new on the nos pf..?

Not sure what I'm doing with ball guides yet, I'm dreading whatever it is.. I tried mirror polish on firepower and it just took forever but I may try it again. I was about to order chrom lockdown and rails last night until I saw 100 shipping.. so shipping both ways with all that stuff if you sent for chrome would easily be 200 I figure

#135 7 years ago

More cleaning this evening..
IMG_2407 (resized).JPGIMG_2407 (resized).JPG
IMG_2405 (resized).JPGIMG_2405 (resized).JPG
IMG_2404 (resized).JPGIMG_2404 (resized).JPG

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Is your simple green solution completely black yet?

Honestly it took I think 3 batches last time, changed out water solution today and another 3 batches. Seems like after that it just doesn't clean as well by 3rd run. Is that not normal? Maybe I need to up the % solution..

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

You have to set the timer for a little longer, but it will still clean really well until it has the color of old motor oil.
Of course the dirtier the parts, the faster the solution gets black. But you are wasting money changing it so soon. I use the same batch to do at least one game, if not more.

Huh interesting.. I'll try that out although honestly what's 4 gal of simple green -- 10 bucks.. more concerned about not hauling the full container of water solution back and forth from garage to house damn heavy!!

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

It's your call...
There is a drain on the machine for a reason.. Put a nipple and hose on it, drain into 5 gal bucket.. put lid on bucket.. Problem solved.

Hmmm yeah that's a good call for draining - actually as well for filling

#143 7 years ago

Haha yeah I bet that gets nasty quick. So do you let yours heat up from ambient to sixty when you start a batch or just start cleaning without it heated up? Seems like it would take hours to heat up

#145 7 years ago

More parts in -- most hardware, coil wrappers, new car / crane plastic, new legs. New fridge ramp and decal, chrome lockdown and rails, few other bits and pieces coming still. Love getting deliveries! More work on Friday.

IMG_2452 (resized).JPGIMG_2452 (resized).JPG

IMG_2453 (resized).JPGIMG_2453 (resized).JPG

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from atothesquiz:

Where did you source the new plastics?

The car plastic is from pps, although others have it as well if you search by part# on google. Ramps available from Australia. Plastics themselves, I've seen individual ones, I'd have to dig around again.. I went to almost every pinball site and just searched jy parts. But I had all the plastics already, other than needing a new wrecker one.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Even though JY isn't one of my favorites, I am looking forward to playing this game once you are done with it. Especially since I know the history.

For sure!! It might not be a long-term keeper for me given space considerations, but after all the work I think it will stay at least a year or two until I get that itch to switch something up

#150 7 years ago

More parts in -- getting close I think.. few random things left

IMG_2479 (resized).JPGIMG_2479 (resized).JPG

IMG_2485 (resized).JPGIMG_2485 (resized).JPG

IMG_2486 (resized).JPGIMG_2486 (resized).JPG

#151 7 years ago

Spent Friday doing mech disassembly.. took a while longer than expected but the cleaner was running thru-out. Finished cleaning all pf parts in cleaner.

IMG_2494 (resized).JPGIMG_2494 (resized).JPG

IMG_2505 (resized).JPGIMG_2505 (resized).JPG

IMG_2529 (resized).JPGIMG_2529 (resized).JPG

IMG_2544 (resized).JPGIMG_2544 (resized).JPG

IMG_2598 (resized).JPGIMG_2598 (resized).JPG

#152 7 years ago

All metal parts ready for the tumbler, fired it up with walnut media with first load.

IMG_2656 (resized).JPGIMG_2656 (resized).JPG

Time to wax/polish the pf

IMG_2658 (resized).JPGIMG_2658 (resized).JPG

Waxed and ready to go, minus some cleaning of extra wax off in holes and crevices.

IMG_2663 (resized).JPGIMG_2663 (resized).JPG

Going to start next with what I have on hand -- all new lamp sockets will go on, probably will concurrently polish some larger ball guides and whatnot.. gotta work on something else during all the polishing, maybe strip the cab out.

#153 7 years ago

Added some foam as extra protection on c-clamp blocks
IMG_2676 (resized).JPGIMG_2676 (resized).JPG

Ready to start installing parts
IMG_2675 (resized).JPGIMG_2675 (resized).JPG

#154 7 years ago

Proto vs. production backboards. You can see the proto was hand cut, and used some odd wood with an almost cloth-like backing material.

IMG_2646 (resized).JPGIMG_2646 (resized).JPG

#155 7 years ago

Can't figure out where to get these decals -- the two main ramps and the crane car plastic shield one.. somebody has to sell these...no?

IMG_2647 (resized).JPGIMG_2647 (resized).JPG

IMG_2650 (resized).JPGIMG_2650 (resized).JPG

#157 7 years ago

First mistake -- ordered #6 instead of #8 screws for the lamp boards. Trip to hardware store and picked up a sizing plastic, although obviously too late. Oh well. Decided on using production lamp boards for the production machine. Meanwhile stuff is taking forever in the tumbler.. thinking I should have started with fresh walnut media. How long does a batch last..??

IMG_0406 (resized).JPGIMG_0406 (resized).JPG

#158 7 years ago

The pliers with a circle cut-out work nice for holding the standoffs when putting screws back in.
IMG_0407 (resized).JPGIMG_0407 (resized).JPG

For some reason I get a lot less done weekday nights than I do weekend days with coffee...huh..

#159 7 years ago

Lamp boards in. Ind. Sockets next

IMG_0408 (resized).JPGIMG_0408 (resized).JPG

#160 7 years ago

Sockets in, mostly. Had to tumble the slings. Decided to keep rails original, swapped them in with new screws.

IMG_2772 (resized).JPGIMG_2772 (resized).JPG

IMG_0410 (resized).JPGIMG_0410 (resized).JPG

#161 7 years ago

Backbox lamp harness removed for cleaning, seperated translite and backbox board for cleaning. Nervous to clean translite -- it's in very good condition just needs cleaning.. don't want to ruin it.

IMG_0423 (resized).JPGIMG_0423 (resized).JPG

IMG_2775 (resized).JPGIMG_2775 (resized).JPG

IMG_2773 (resized).JPGIMG_2773 (resized).JPG

IMG_2776 (resized).JPGIMG_2776 (resized).JPG

#162 7 years ago

Meanwhile stuff continues in tumbler.. taking forever

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from Bruce:

Great thread. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I had to pass up a junk yard a couple years ago, wish I had one now

They seem hard to come by yet not a highly regarded game .. people who have them seem to hold on to them??

Disaster today - wife discovered this in garage:
IMG_2783 (resized).JPGIMG_2783 (resized).JPG

The lid vibrated itself off last night. So much metal-polish infused walnut media dust everywhere. Arg! Thinking about vibratory tumbler ir building an almost sealed wood and acrylic box for this one to keep dust down and protect against this happening again..

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

That looks like the smaller HFT vibratory tumbler. I used one for a while and it did the same thing - the threads were vibrated smooth. I fixed it but I just don't use it anymore. I invested in the bigger HFT vibratory tumbler and use that one now. I also use the dual drum rotary tumbler for smaller parts. I feel for you. The tumbler you have can be repaired with parts from the local hardware store. Just remember that it's METRIC as it was built in the PRC. You can switch it all out to SAE by replacing all the metric fasteners.
Oh ... you'll have a lot of fun picking the media out the fastener heads and SEMS lock washers.

Indeed -- identified correctly. I'm going to look at that larger one as well, but may try the fix you mention - thanks for the tips DumbAss !!

Mostly new hardware so luckily won't be too much picking media out of screw heads, I know it's a pain

#167 7 years ago

Ok hopefully this thing works better..

IMG_2784 (resized).JPGIMG_2784 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#168 7 years ago

ALLright, back from vacation.. the mission continues!

IMG_2844 (resized).JPGIMG_2844 (resized).JPG

IMG_2818 (resized).JPGIMG_2818 (resized).JPG

IMG_2888 (resized).JPGIMG_2888 (resized).JPG

IMG_2849 (resized).JPGIMG_2849 (resized).JPG

#169 7 years ago

Got big boy going, with more cleaning in ultrasonic as well.
IMG_2953 (resized).JPGIMG_2953 (resized).JPG

Some difference between proto and production, you see a lot of hand welds and slightly different sizes on a couple guides.
IMG_2938 (resized).JPGIMG_2938 (resized).JPG
IMG_2940 (resized).JPGIMG_2940 (resized).JPG
IMG_2937 (resized).JPGIMG_2937 (resized).JPG

Three different coil colors between the 2 machines. 1 Green!??

IMG_2941 (resized).JPGIMG_2941 (resized).JPG

#170 7 years ago

Radius118 warned me and I forgot.. put tumbled parts back in ultrasonic and left them for too long.. discoloration where plating is gone was result. Sigh.. back to tumbler with those!
IMG_2946 (resized).JPGIMG_2946 (resized).JPG

backbox lightboard cleaning. A lot of gunk came off - however the burn marks are stuck there. No further damage with LEDs going in
IMG_2949 (resized).JPGIMG_2949 (resized).JPG
IMG_2956 (resized).JPGIMG_2956 (resized).JPG

This bike degreaser kicks ass for cleaning. Spray, it foams up and within 10 to 15 seconds you can wipe it clean.
IMG_2957 (resized).JPGIMG_2957 (resized).JPG

Reassembly, made easy thanks to tablet
IMG_2972 (resized).JPGIMG_2972 (resized).JPG
IMG_0449 (resized).JPGIMG_0449 (resized).JPG

#171 7 years ago

Starting to get things back together. All small hardware remaining dropped in tumbler this morning. Lots of larger parts remain.

IMG_0450 (resized).JPGIMG_0450 (resized).JPG

IMG_2976 (resized).JPGIMG_2976 (resized).JPG

#172 7 years ago

Hopefully I took enough pictures.. I need some of this stuff as I only purchased certain pieces of new hardware

IMG_3057 (resized).JPGIMG_3057 (resized).JPG

IMG_3089 (resized).JPGIMG_3089 (resized).JPG

IMG_3067 (resized).JPGIMG_3067 (resized).JPG

#173 7 years ago

Old yellowed harness "c" clips vs new

Colordmd support announced and roms availible! Dang, wish this was back together!
IMG_2970 (resized).PNGIMG_2970 (resized).PNG

#174 7 years ago

Coils all rewrapped and ready to go.

IMG_3109 (resized).JPGIMG_3109 (resized).JPG

#176 7 years ago

Production vs proto car targets (production changed order and to blue windshield glass)

IMG_0451 (resized).JPGIMG_0451 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#177 7 years ago

An awesome insider had an extra of these guys and by somewhat happenstance we connected. Gonna slowly paint it as I wrap up the playfield rebuild. This replaces the plastic above with the cars

IMG_3230 (resized).JPGIMG_3230 (resized).JPG

#178 7 years ago

Production backboard had cleaner cuts, so I decided to use it. Stripped decals, removed t nuts, sanded, then repainted.
IMG_3114 (resized).JPGIMG_3114 (resized).JPG
IMG_3117 (resized).JPGIMG_3117 (resized).JPG
IMG_3118 (resized).JPGIMG_3118 (resized).JPG
IMG_0454 (resized).JPGIMG_0454 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPGIMG_0456 (resized).JPG

I was going to do a couple more coats with sanding but I got the paint I used mixed up and don't want to risk using one that's incompatible (did some testing and there was def. potential issues if I used a different paint). Last of the crane parts are tumbling so this should be back together fairly soon.

#179 7 years ago

Mechs are slowly gong back together.. more progress tomorrow

IMG_0457 (resized).JPGIMG_0457 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#180 7 years ago

Progress has slowed due to springtime obligations

IMG_3257 (resized).PNGIMG_3257 (resized).PNG

IMG_3252 (resized).JPGIMG_3252 (resized).JPG

#181 7 years ago

Trough and targets are mounted with new foam now, waiting on polishing the ball guides before final push to get plastics and the rest of the topside done. Need to get across town as well to be all to the metal work shop about my habitrail rechroming

IMG_3234 (resized).JPGIMG_3234 (resized).JPG

#183 6 years ago

BertoDRINK1 -- I saw that score and still can't believe it, how lucky!!! Should clean up good! Fun game, can't wait to get mine running again

#184 6 years ago

Parts dropped at local plater. Unfortunately 8 week lead time, should have done it a long time ago.

IMG_3358 (resized).JPGIMG_3358 (resized).JPG

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I have had mixed experiences with the "local plater". Ok to have a bunch of parts nickel plated with no prep work. Not ok to chrome visible stuff. For instance, I had some ramp flaps with rust. The local plater did a crap job and in the end I had to use Ron.

Uh oh.. well no turning back now, hope it comes out ok. He mentioned that a lot of the labor was in polishing and was asking what surfaces were visible - hopefully that's a good sign. For the $$$ it better look decent. I almost had went with Ron a month ago and checked out but then it said shipping was $100 and I decided to try local to avoid that. Also potential of being lost in the mail

#187 6 years ago

Spent a good 4 - 5+ hours on these guides.. thru the full gamut of sandpaper and then 3 polishing wheels / compounds, then wax. I'm happy. Not perfect by any means but they got pretty shiny. Not my favorite task by any measure, just glad it's over!

IMG_3365 (resized).JPGIMG_3365 (resized).JPG

IMG_3368 (resized).JPGIMG_3368 (resized).JPG

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Have you seen the Color dmd? This could be one of the nicest jy on earth when your done.

Seen it and have one ready to drop in I do hope this will be one of the nicer ones in existence if I get it all back together and don't majorly screw something up lol.. that's assuming one isn't looking for a stock machine. I really hope I can get a shaker programmed in or at least synched with the crane

1 week later
#191 6 years ago

Got Ramps waxed, new switches and diodes, zip ties with cleaned wiring back in.

IMG_0467 (resized).JPGIMG_0467 (resized).JPG

#192 6 years ago

Topside slowly taking shape. Held up by a plastic I had to order from Australia

#193 6 years ago

Car targets cleaned a touched up (after photo), ready to prime the 3D surround to start painting it up.

Bottom pretty much assembled, top is close just waiting on plastic to arrive so I can drop ramps in.

Threw the harness on for fun.. ready to organize it out and start soldering it in place. Will be great to have that finished.. more than ready to be moving on to the cabinet.

IMG_3600 (resized).JPGIMG_3600 (resized).JPG

IMG_3601 (resized).JPGIMG_3601 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#195 6 years ago

Thanks coyote!

Some soldering this weekend -- slow slow going getting all the new diodes in. Plus I had to run around town to find a new iron. Ended up with an iron and a soldering gun -- the gun kicks ass! First time using one, man it heats up quick.

Lower left half all soldered in, needs some cleanup work still. I'll go back after everything is done and clean up and install new zip ties.

IMG_3619 (resized).JPGIMG_3619 (resized).JPG

#196 6 years ago

The fridge plug for all the Optos was changed between production and proto. Original is a large plug. Final was two small idc connectors. To resolve this, as I only had the proto mech/opto configuration, I reused the single plug and cut all the wires on the opposite side. Then did up new connectors as I have a bunch plus pins sitting around for my next project - a homebrew.
Old wiresOld wires
IMG_3616 (resized).JPGIMG_3616 (resized).JPG
IMG_3618 (resized).JPGIMG_3618 (resized).JPG
IMG_3617 (resized).JPGIMG_3617 (resized).JPG

More soldering to come this week.. nw show is June 9th, hoping to have pf wrapped up by/before then and be moving on to the cab.

1 week later
#197 6 years ago

Got thru the soldering -- all new diodes on all switches and sockets. Harness is soldered in and 1/2 way thru cutting zip ties and replacing with new ones (and tightening up wiring).

Pile of old switches and sockets:
Bye bye!Bye bye!

IMG_3688 (resized).JPGIMG_3688 (resized).JPG
IMG_3710 (resized).JPGIMG_3710 (resized).JPG

#198 6 years ago

New decals on redone backboard.
IMG_3713 (resized).JPGIMG_3713 (resized).JPG
IMG_3714 (resized).JPGIMG_3714 (resized).JPG

Putting topside back together -- finally got ramps dropped in. Another month for the habitrail chroming still but that should give time to strip, sand, paint, and decal the cab.
IMG_3715 (resized).JPGIMG_3715 (resized).JPG

#199 6 years ago

Bus mod -- dremeling and drilling rqd. Finally got it to fit in snug and bolted together. Tested out the slow change color led with a 9v battery. Pretty sweet! Gonna just tie to GI and have running all the time. IMG_3739 (resized).JPGIMG_3739 (resized).JPGIMG_3737 (resized).JPGIMG_3737 (resized).JPGIMG_3734 (resized).JPGIMG_3734 (resized).JPGIMG_3732 (resized).JPGIMG_3732 (resized).JPGIMG_3729 (resized).JPGIMG_3729 (resized).JPGIMG_3731 (resized).JPGIMG_3731 (resized).JPGIMG_3728 (resized).JPGIMG_3728 (resized).JPG

#201 6 years ago

Hours of zip tying today.. finally finished with Playfield for now. Ready to move onto painting the 3D car surround while I start stripping the cab out. Feels good to have pf almost all back together!

IMG_3770 (resized).JPGIMG_3770 (resized).JPG

IMG_3771 (resized).JPGIMG_3771 (resized).JPG

IMG_3774 (resized).JPGIMG_3774 (resized).JPG

#202 6 years ago

20 min of polishing goes a long way..

IMG_3796 (resized).JPGIMG_3796 (resized).JPG

IMG_3802 (resized).JPGIMG_3802 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#203 6 years ago

TIme to tackle the cab.. stripped it out this morning. Pretty quick job.

Couple interesting things -- no idea what this wood block was for and what the hell kind of fuse is this? Is that sand????

IMG_4038 (resized).JPGIMG_4038 (resized).JPG
IMG_4008 (resized).JPGIMG_4008 (resized).JPG

Never have removed a transformer -- damn these things are heavy!! That's a good 30lbs of iron core.
IMG_4046 (resized).JPGIMG_4046 (resized).JPG

Cab brought to garage.. ready to pull ground braid sections and start sanding/heat gun scrape treatment. Heads up for board removal next.
IMG_4089 (resized).JPGIMG_4089 (resized).JPG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPGIMG_4102 (resized).JPG

Seems to have turned into a race to beat my p3 arrival date in August now.. I am hoping for about a month to finish cab/head

IMG_4088 (resized).JPGIMG_4088 (resized).JPG

#204 6 years ago

More stuff completed -- hate taking stuff apart, feels like I'm getting further from the goal!! Oh well.

Head taken apart, remaining wire harnesses back in ultrasonic along with all cab and head parts, sprayed some black, ordered a few parts still needed from Marco, and got the transformer varnish off the brackets and bolts. Also stripped the head decals, pretty quick job on those. Cab will take longer, pretty sure those are direct print.

IMG_4161 (resized).JPGIMG_4161 (resized).JPG

IMG_4197 (resized).JPGIMG_4197 (resized).JPG

IMG_4196 (resized).JPGIMG_4196 (resized).JPG

IMG_4203 (resized).JPGIMG_4203 (resized).JPG

IMG_4209 (resized).JPGIMG_4209 (resized).JPG

IMG_4155 (resized).JPGIMG_4155 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#205 6 years ago

Transformer cleaned, painted, new zip ties and cleaned up wiring.

IMG_4232 (resized).JPGIMG_4232 (resized).JPG

IMG_4221 (resized).JPGIMG_4221 (resized).JPG

#206 6 years ago

Into the tumbler for all cab parts after a derust bath

IMG_4345 (resized).JPGIMG_4345 (resized).JPG
IMG_4352 (resized).JPGIMG_4352 (resized).JPG

#207 6 years ago

Few jy parts came up local.. nos apron plus some extra parts

IMG_4356 (resized).JPGIMG_4356 (resized).JPG

#208 6 years ago

Wire form back from plater.. looking good!!

IMG_4406 (resized).JPGIMG_4406 (resized).JPG

#209 6 years ago

Time to strip this baby. Don't know if my arm will last.. pretty tiring scraping this off but it works ok with heat applied

IMG_4444 (resized).JPGIMG_4444 (resized).JPG

#210 6 years ago

..an hour later. One side done.

IMG_4450 (resized).JPGIMG_4450 (resized).JPG

#211 6 years ago

Side art reduced to this pile.. only causality was a large thumb blister
IMG_4515 (resized).JPGIMG_4515 (resized).JPG

On to sanding..
IMG_4519 (resized).JPGIMG_4519 (resized).JPG
IMG_4520 (resized).JPGIMG_4520 (resized).JPG
Done for the dayDone for the day

Cab Parts out of the tumbler
IMG_4452 (resized).JPGIMG_4452 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#212 6 years ago

Found this by coin door -- I think it's the prototype number?

IMG_4503 (resized).JPGIMG_4503 (resized).JPG

#213 6 years ago

Gluing, bonding, more gluing, bonding...

IMG_4561 (resized).JPGIMG_4561 (resized).JPG

IMG_4575 (resized).JPGIMG_4575 (resized).JPG

IMG_4576 (resized).JPGIMG_4576 (resized).JPG

#214 6 years ago

Board grounding plate. Battled with wet/dry sandpaper for hours. Didn't get a mirror finish but was satisfied enough with results anyway

Before: IMG_4602 (resized).JPGIMG_4602 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_4606 (resized).JPGIMG_4606 (resized).JPG

#215 6 years ago

I think the cab took a month and a half - between summer trips and such plus my mistakes. Sand, bondo, sand, paint, sand, bondo, repeat. Ugh. Seemed like every time I'd paint a coat I'd see more issues that needed bondoing. Same when I sanded up a grit.

IMG_4629 (resized).JPGIMG_4629 (resized).JPG

IMG_4607 (resized).JPGIMG_4607 (resized).JPG

IMG_4610 (resized).JPGIMG_4610 (resized).JPG

IMG_4634 (resized).JPGIMG_4634 (resized).JPG

#216 6 years ago

Getting closer.

IMG_4655 (resized).JPGIMG_4655 (resized).JPG

IMG_4635 (resized).JPGIMG_4635 (resized).JPG

IMG_4642 (resized).JPGIMG_4642 (resized).JPG

IMG_4646 (resized).JPGIMG_4646 (resized).JPG

#217 6 years ago

Meanwhile -

painting up 3d cars plastic mod.
IMG_4637 (resized).JPGIMG_4637 (resized).JPG

New tubing for cab wiring. (With old)
IMG_4639 (resized).JPGIMG_4639 (resized).JPG

New ball baron super shiny balls.
IMG_4643 (resized).JPGIMG_4643 (resized).JPG

#218 6 years ago

Painted all the cab/head bolts
IMG_4710 (resized).JPGIMG_4710 (resized).JPG

Roller came in for decals with new ground braid
IMG_4626 (resized).JPGIMG_4626 (resized).JPG

#219 6 years ago

Boom!

Cab done. Tape kept the lines tight. Left bottom board top and bottom bare, rest was painted.

Decals applied. Only screwed them up slightly haha. Got a number of air pockets to pop.

IMG_4727 (resized).JPGIMG_4727 (resized).JPG

IMG_4718 (resized).JPGIMG_4718 (resized).JPG

IMG_4715 (resized).JPGIMG_4715 (resized).JPG

IMG_4719 (resized).JPGIMG_4719 (resized).JPG

IMG_4722 (resized).JPGIMG_4722 (resized).JPG

IMG_4721 (resized).JPGIMG_4721 (resized).JPG

#220 6 years ago

Shooter parts cleaned up and installed.
IMG_4795 (resized).JPGIMG_4795 (resized).JPG

Cab almost done-- need to add rails and mirror blades.
IMG_4733 (resized).JPGIMG_4733 (resized).JPG

Nvram installed-- bye batteries!
IMG_4791 (resized).JPGIMG_4791 (resized).JPG

#221 6 years ago

Coin door taken apart, repainted.

IMG_4817 (resized).JPGIMG_4817 (resized).JPG

IMG_4815 (resized).JPGIMG_4815 (resized).JPG

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

The game is coming along nicely. Cool shooter rod, where did you get it ?

Thanks, can't wait to fire it up for first time. Shooter is from a smaller company, possibly coin-op games or something? I'll look thru my receipts. I do like the colored metal ball ones from hot rod arcades - may end up switching we'll see

#224 6 years ago

Coin door parts painted and reassembled and installed.

Nasty old menu switch sticker replaced and new push button switches.

IMG_4825 (resized).JPGIMG_4825 (resized).JPG

IMG_4823 (resized).JPGIMG_4823 (resized).JPG

IMG_4824 (resized).JPGIMG_4824 (resized).JPG

#225 6 years ago

Mirror blades installed and rails are in. Put in old glass to check fit with lockdown bar. Dang that chrome is purty!!!

Rails had back bolt that old ones did not (just front and a sticky back). Drilled new back holes but no way to put in nut as the wood is solid right there.. trying to figure out how to secure it.

IMG_4828 (resized).JPGIMG_4828 (resized).JPG

IMG_4830 (resized).JPGIMG_4830 (resized).JPG

#226 6 years ago

3d cars finally finished up. Windows were left clear to let light thru. Bit of white primer bled unfortunately but I'm in a hurry to wrap this up so will have to live with it for now.

IMG_4845 (resized).JPGIMG_4845 (resized).JPG

IMG_4844 (resized).JPGIMG_4844 (resized).JPG

#227 6 years ago

Trying out Velcro (fuzzy side) to protect the head/cab interface and the hinge/sides of cab.

IMG_4852 (resized).JPGIMG_4852 (resized).JPG

IMG_4853 (resized).JPGIMG_4853 (resized).JPG

#228 6 years ago

Got cars installed, crane decaled and in. Ready to pull this off and get the brackets all on and the pf rails.

IMG_4854 (resized).JPGIMG_4854 (resized).JPG

IMG_4863 (resized).JPGIMG_4863 (resized).JPG

IMG_4862 (resized).JPGIMG_4862 (resized).JPG

#229 6 years ago

It's in! Very tight fit with mirror blades, almost didn't make it!

Finally back on its own legs.

IMG_4865 (resized).JPGIMG_4865 (resized).JPG

IMG_4867 (resized).JPGIMG_4867 (resized).JPG

IMG_4868 (resized).JPGIMG_4868 (resized).JPG

IMG_4869 (resized).JPGIMG_4869 (resized).JPG

#230 6 years ago

Head installed.

Wiring back in, then hit a snafu. Power switch was blowing the line fuse immediately. Took a little tracing to find the culprit-- the 9pin plug between the transformer and the power box up front.

I had removed all the pins to put on new clear tubing, and when I reinstalled the pins in the housing I rotated the entire housing 90 degrees. Apparently that shirts something out . Rotated back and it powered up!

IMG_4875 (resized).JPGIMG_4875 (resized).JPG

IMG_4899 (resized).JPGIMG_4899 (resized).JPG

IMG_4876 (resized).JPGIMG_4876 (resized).JPG

#231 6 years ago

New ball baron ultra balls ready to go in after a lot of trouble shooting a broken wire to the left flipper Eos. Most everything else tested out ok other than a light behind the crane that I can't find s connector for. Thinking they eliminated it in production machines but will have to verify that.

IMG_4904 (resized).JPGIMG_4904 (resized).JPG

#232 6 years ago

Up and running. Nieces and nephew did the breaking in -- got a few switch hang ups to adjust and an issue with the right sling protector and the wire form feed. Otherwise running surprisingly good!

IMG_4913 (resized).JPGIMG_4913 (resized).JPG

IMG_4916 (resized).JPGIMG_4916 (resized).JPG

#233 6 years ago

Couple glory pics. Still got odds and ends to attend to, and the shaker to install and figure out but overall .. it's playing so I'm happy. Almost finished!

IMG_4921 (resized).JPGIMG_4921 (resized).JPG

IMG_4923 (resized).JPGIMG_4923 (resized).JPG

IMG_4924 (resized).JPGIMG_4924 (resized).JPG

IMG_4925 (resized).JPGIMG_4925 (resized).JPG

IMG_4926 (resized).JPGIMG_4926 (resized).JPG

IMG_4927 (resized).JPGIMG_4927 (resized).JPG

4 weeks later
#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Man I feel like I need to break into your house and bust a scratch tag onto it somewhere(so it will look like the rest of the jy's out there)
All jokes aside, I'm so impressed. You might have the very best jy example in exsistence now. And you deserve it after all the hard work
Check out the color dmd. I love it(tho only other pinheads really notice color dmd's)

Thanks !! Don’t know if it’s the nicest but I hope it’s one of them got the colordmd in it — love it. Still working on the shaker motor, which is about the last thing left I believe.. it’s pretty dialed in now

#238 6 years ago

Finally changed out the display panel plexi with a new one. Those metal one way lock nuts are annoying! Comparison of old vs new.

Also cut new cab runners for back, painted, cleared, and attached.

647AA19A-1DB7-42E4-9B3D-ADAC7C7CD1F7 (resized).jpeg647AA19A-1DB7-42E4-9B3D-ADAC7C7CD1F7 (resized).jpeg

74D30712-DBFE-4B4F-A2CE-8F1FB4B9F725 (resized).jpeg74D30712-DBFE-4B4F-A2CE-8F1FB4B9F725 (resized).jpeg

C16A2329-BA74-48BA-84C8-626F929F9EB2 (resized).jpegC16A2329-BA74-48BA-84C8-626F929F9EB2 (resized).jpeg

2FCB9BF9-F001-451D-BBC6-9C3C966BFA66 (resized).jpeg2FCB9BF9-F001-451D-BBC6-9C3C966BFA66 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junkyard-early-proto-playfield-swap-and-full-restoration?tu=mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.