IMG_4923 (resized).JPG
IMG_4921 (resized).JPG
IMG_4916 (resized).JPG
IMG_4913 (resized).JPG
IMG_4904 (resized).JPG
IMG_4876 (resized).JPG
IMG_4899 (resized).JPG
IMG_4875 (resized).JPG
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago

We are flipped, time to start stripping the bottom .. can't wait to be done stripping stuff and move on to cleaning

IMG_0369 (resized).JPGIMG_0369 (resized).JPG

#102 7 years ago

What's with the blue trough opto board? I have 1 green 1 blue..

IMG_2168 (resized).JPGIMG_2168 (resized).JPG

#103 7 years ago

4 o'clock.. time for some whiskey!

IMG_2209 (resized).JPGIMG_2209 (resized).JPG

#104 7 years ago

Today's aftermath lol

IMG_2207 (resized).JPGIMG_2207 (resized).JPG

IMG_2208 (resized).JPGIMG_2208 (resized).JPG

#105 7 years ago

Re: Green, Blue trough board. Was like this on all (most?) WPC-95 games. How to tell transmitter from receiver.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Re: Green, Blue trough board. Was like this on all (most?) WPC-95 games. How to tell transmitter from receiver.

Oh ..huh. Not sure why I never noticed that before, makes sense

#107 7 years ago

That's a wrap for today. Little more than 1/3 of harness left.

IMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPG

#108 7 years ago

Wow this has to be one of the filthiest subways I've seen.. be interesting to see how it cleans up

IMG_0387 (resized).JPGIMG_0387 (resized).JPG

IMG_0388 (resized).JPGIMG_0388 (resized).JPG

#109 7 years ago

Here's a closeup of the underside where the pop bumper nest was supposed to be. Note holes that are covered up by the topside decal/sticker

IMG_2287 (resized).JPGIMG_2287 (resized).JPG

IMG_0389 (resized).JPGIMG_0389 (resized).JPG

IMG_0390 (resized).JPGIMG_0390 (resized).JPG

#110 7 years ago

Interesting, one was a slingshot. I wasn't aware of that - I knew there was switches, but not a slingshot. Neat.

#111 7 years ago

Ok-- I've got all the playfields stripped. Going to start cleaning and cataloging what hardware I need plus extra parts and get a couple final orders in. Habitrail hopefully going out Tuesday for plating with lockdown. Rails and shooter in order as well. Can't decide on chrome legs yet.. spendy.

#112 7 years ago

Here's a comparison of a stock playfield vs the proto, comparing final art changes.

#113 7 years ago

First some shots of proto inserts and sewer wear

IMG_2335 (resized).JPGIMG_2335 (resized).JPG

IMG_2336 (resized).JPGIMG_2336 (resized).JPG

IMG_2337 (resized).JPGIMG_2337 (resized).JPG

IMG_2338 (resized).JPGIMG_2338 (resized).JPG

IMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2339 (resized).JPG

IMG_2340 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPG

#114 7 years ago

Now the comparisons.
Here's what I noticed:
Brown changed to orange around crane area.
Background Green changed to red on both sides where the rat is
Words added on inserts to clarify-- ball recycle, adventures, junk for extra ball, hurry up targets.
Crane became "wrecking ball" on insert.
Arrow added above this insert
Super jackpot separated to two inserts.
Spike insert became "alley"
Great toilet adv. became the great toilet... interesting choice there, prefer latter.
Ball recycle when lit added to blue triangles on outlanes
Pipes extended above apron to display the team member names.
I think that's it?? It appears the pop had a red explosion around it, I'm still thinking I might remove the sticker there to see..

#115 7 years ago

IMG_2351 (resized).JPGIMG_2351 (resized).JPG

IMG_2352 (resized).JPGIMG_2352 (resized).JPG

IMG_2353 (resized).JPGIMG_2353 (resized).JPG

IMG_2354 (resized).JPGIMG_2354 (resized).JPG

IMG_2355 (resized).JPGIMG_2355 (resized).JPG

IMG_2357 (resized).JPGIMG_2357 (resized).JPG

IMG_2358 (resized).JPGIMG_2358 (resized).JPG

IMG_2359 (resized).JPGIMG_2359 (resized).JPG

IMG_2360 (resized).JPGIMG_2360 (resized).JPG

IMG_2361 (resized).JPGIMG_2361 (resized).JPG

IMG_2363 (resized).JPGIMG_2363 (resized).JPG

IMG_2362 (resized).JPGIMG_2362 (resized).JPG

IMG_2364 (resized).JPGIMG_2364 (resized).JPG

IMG_2365 (resized).JPGIMG_2365 (resized).JPG

#116 7 years ago

Ehhh dang all upside down, sorry. Rotate isn't working well for me. But you get the idea..

#117 7 years ago

And look what I found rummaging thru parts Radius118 gave me -- nos fork that isn't damaged. Going to try padding under where that bracket breaks hitting the bottom if the pf and see if that helps.

IMG_0392 (resized).JPGIMG_0392 (resized).JPG

#118 7 years ago

Interesting, I never noticed the missing lamp insert over (above) the crane. I also like how a couple of the 'junk' inserts are smaller in diameter than the artwork. Neat.

#119 7 years ago

Cleaning time..

Proto lamp boards disassembled

#120 7 years ago

Didn't get get too far today- spent way too long putting together a pinball life order and figuring out hardware to order.

Got these cleaned today:
IMG_2396 (resized).JPGIMG_2396 (resized).JPG

Plus this.. this is the proto so I clipped all the zip ties to clean better, I plan to reuse a lot of it in a home build for my next project.
IMG_2397 (resized).JPGIMG_2397 (resized).JPG

How do you get this corrosion off??
IMG_2398 (resized).JPGIMG_2398 (resized).JPG

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

How do you get this corrosion off??

Some of it may come off in the ultrasonic cleaner.

If there is some left, which is likely, you can try using vinegar and other substances, but tossing the target in the tumbler will get almost all of it off. But you'll have to peel the stickers off the targets and remove the sticky residue first.

#122 7 years ago

So many posts! I love this. We love the junk yard around these parts.

IMG_0690 (resized).JPGIMG_0690 (resized).JPG

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Some of it may come off in the ultrasonic cleaner.
If there is some left, which is likely, you can try using vinegar and other substances, but tossing the target in the tumbler will get almost all of it off. But you'll have to peel the stickers off the targets and remove the sticky residue first.

Yeah -- that's post ultrasonic so tumbler ftw then I hope! Hadn't considered that to be honest, have only done metal parts in the tumblr but esp with the corn husk media I ordered should be good to go..

I spent hours today measuring and figuring out which bolts and screws were #6 or #8, then ordering them. I should have gone to Tacoma screw probably but not knowing this stuff well, it seemed easier to go thru pictures and descriptions at home and bulk pricing prob ended up close anyway. New micro switches ordered as well.

Rubber didn't fair well in ultrasonic lol -- just an experiment anyway but going to order a new refrigerator and toilet, discolored the refridge. Got a couple more orders and I can concentrate on cleaning and polishing .. can't wait to be done finding parts. So much $$$$ out the door lol

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

So many posts! I love this. We love the junk yard around these parts.

Awesome! It quickly became my nephews favorite until it became my next project haha. Hopefully it still runs when back together and colordmd has released a rom for it to boot wacky fun game.. I just noticed today the 2 page backstory in the beginning of the manual lol

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

What the hell are these magnets for? Is this an anti-electrical interference thing?

And anyone know how to fix the gold lettering without buying a whole new panel?

008 GOLD BARE-METAL FOIL & a sharp exacto knife with a lot of patience lol, here's a link...

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah -- that's post ultrasonic so tumbler ftw then I hope! Hadn't considered that to be honest, have only done metal parts in the tumblr but esp with the corn husk media I ordered should be good to go..
I spent hours today measuring and figuring out which bolts and screws were #6 or #8, then ordering them. I should have gone to Tacoma screw probably but not knowing this stuff well, it seemed easier to go thru pictures and descriptions at home and bulk pricing prob ended up close anyway. New micro switches ordered as well.
Rubber didn't fair well in ultrasonic lol -- just an experiment anyway but going to order a new refrigerator and toilet, discolored the refridge. Got a couple more orders and I can concentrate on cleaning and polishing .. can't wait to be done finding parts. So much $$$$ out the door lol

So how do you like that ultrasonic? Cleans stuff nice doesn't it? You *are* rinsing everything off with plain water after cleaning in the 20% simple green solution, right? The only problem with it is I think you could probably wake the dead when you are cleaning. Don't clean any pinball parts with zombies around. They will find you for sure!

Corn husk media is pretty soft.. You are going to want something a little coarser for stuff like that. I recommend crushed walnut shells. Add a few squirts of Brasso to your media, let it mix for a bit and then throw your parts in. BTW, you can throw leaf switches, etc, in the tumbler too. With the Brasso they come out NICE.

If you want your stuff to get *really* nice and shiny, order some crushed walnut with red rouge already added that I mentioned in your other thread. This stuff is the best for getting parts nice, shiny and smooth.

Yeah, you woulda been better off going to Tacoma screw with your samples and just saying "order me this stuff in qty 100 boxes" but that's ok.. whatever works for you. Oh.. And did you order a bunch of NEW t-nuts? You really don't want to re-use the old ones. They never bite as well as new. You'll have to take some samples as there are usually several different base sizes in the same thread size.

I am not surprised the rubber did not fare well in the ultrasonic. Generally anything soft and pliable will not come out well. I noticed you have a wiring harness hung on the shower curtain rod. Did you ultrasonic that? How did it come out? I haven't done wiring harnesses in the ultrasonic yet. The last restore I did I used the dishwasher.

As for ordering parts............. Well..... It *is* a restore, right? You'll find LOTS of stuff you'll want to replace stuff on. Just wait until you start getting your mechs apart and cleaned. There will be coil sleeves, bell armatures, springs, pivots, all kinds of stuff worn out. You'll see.

Are you going to re-grain your ball guides to make them look brand new? On my next restomod I have decided I am going to either polish them to a chrome finish or just get them chrome plated like the old school EM and SS games. OOOooooohhh! SHINY!

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

008 GOLD BARE-METAL FOIL & a sharp exacto knife with a lot of patience lol, here's a link...

Or I was just thinking you could jazz it up and actually just gold leaf the lettering the traditional way using glue, brush & real gold leaf! I've never actually done it but I've watched a video and it seemed pretty easy, first applying a thin layer of glue then the gold leaf then just dusting of the excess with a dry brush? The key seemed to paint with the glue where you want to gold to be.

#128 7 years ago

Please clarify something for me. You have a prototype which is something rare. Why are you swapping out the PF to make it a regular game. You are losing the rarity and unusualness of the prototype game. I would think that you would want to, at least, transfer the prototype bits over to the new PF. Not bashing your decision, just asking.

#129 7 years ago

^ I was curious about that too why not restore the prototype or is it just that a JY proto is not quite that valuable next to a completed game?

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Please clarify something for me. You have a prototype which is something rare. Why are you swapping out the PF to make it a regular game. You are losing the rarity and unusualness of the prototype game. I would think that you would want to, at least, transfer the prototype bits over to the new PF. Not bashing your decision, just asking.

That's the thing on jy -- there's only 1 true prototype part that's different, that being the magnet under the crane. Nos pf is not built for the magnet, and there's no code for it either way. The main differences are in the Playfield art, and the places where mechs were moved around, etc (extra holes in proto Playfield). Also the production harness vs proto harness have differences.

Main point being, a playing proto jy isn't worth much more than a standard production game as there's no feature gameplay differences. It's more interesting, and least to me, to have the Playfield cleaned, waxed, and hung as collector art. Then it's protected from further wear -- as you can see this was already an issue on several inserts.

Another route could have been to ship the proto pf to Cruzman or neo or hep and get it cleared but you kind of lose some uniqueness there as well. Better to save the pf in its existing condition imo.. and given that this package came with a nos pf it made sense to go that route.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Thanks! I'll check this out

#132 7 years ago

Radius118

Ultrasonic is pretty sweet! Pain to haul it from bathroom to garage to get the warm water in it to start with..wish I had hot taps outside. Yes - rinsed parts back in bathtub lol, this the wiring harness hanging in there. It did a good job on it, I was satisfied. Decals actually stayed on the targets surprisingly. I'm going to run the other harness thru without clipping the zip ties and see how that goes.. you really don't realize how much wire is there until you clip those ties and open up the bundles!!

Got walnut media brasso and flitz from prev project so I'll give them a shot to clean those things up.

Shouldnt need new t nuts -- those should be new on the nos pf..?

Not sure what I'm doing with ball guides yet, I'm dreading whatever it is.. I tried mirror polish on firepower and it just took forever but I may try it again. I was about to order chrom lockdown and rails last night until I saw 100 shipping.. so shipping both ways with all that stuff if you sent for chrome would easily be 200 I figure

#133 7 years ago

Nos playfield had t-nuts? Did not remember that. If so and there is no clear in them then should be fine.

As for polishing ball guides yeah it's a lot of work. Sand sand sand forever with progressively finer grits until you can hit them with buffing wheel and rouge. Messy as hell too.

Chrome plating is great in that the chrome is harder than the stainless so takes a lot longer to get ball trails. Disadvantage is cost and if it flakes on you in the game well that's bad news.

Why ship and send out lockdown bars and side rails? With all the industrial stuff going on in Seattle there has to be a company down there that does chrome plating.

#134 7 years ago

When shipped from WMS, yes, NOS playfields had T-Nuts installed where necessary. Now, from repro manufacturers, they're not. (As far as I'm aware.)

#135 7 years ago

More cleaning this evening..
IMG_2407 (resized).JPGIMG_2407 (resized).JPG
IMG_2405 (resized).JPGIMG_2405 (resized).JPG
IMG_2404 (resized).JPGIMG_2404 (resized).JPG

#136 7 years ago

Is your simple green solution completely black yet?

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Is your simple green solution completely black yet?

Honestly it took I think 3 batches last time, changed out water solution today and another 3 batches. Seems like after that it just doesn't clean as well by 3rd run. Is that not normal? Maybe I need to up the % solution..

#138 7 years ago

You have to set the timer for a little longer, but it will still clean really well until it has the color of old motor oil.

Of course the dirtier the parts, the faster the solution gets black. But you are wasting money changing it so soon. I use the same batch to do at least one game, if not more.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

You have to set the timer for a little longer, but it will still clean really well until it has the color of old motor oil.
Of course the dirtier the parts, the faster the solution gets black. But you are wasting money changing it so soon. I use the same batch to do at least one game, if not more.

Huh interesting.. I'll try that out although honestly what's 4 gal of simple green -- 10 bucks.. more concerned about not hauling the full container of water solution back and forth from garage to house damn heavy!!

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Huh interesting.. I'll try that out although honestly what's 4 gal of simple green -- 10 bucks.. more concerned about not hauling the full container of water solution back and forth from garage to house damn heavy!!

It's your call...

There is a drain on the machine for a reason.. Put a nipple and hose on it, drain into 5 gal bucket.. put lid on bucket.. Problem solved.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

It's your call...
There is a drain on the machine for a reason.. Put a nipple and hose on it, drain into 5 gal bucket.. put lid on bucket.. Problem solved.

Hmmm yeah that's a good call for draining - actually as well for filling

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Hmmm yeah that's a good call for draining - actually as well for filling

Yup... plus then you can reuse later. I am a cheap bastard so I save mine and use as long as possible. When it's no good for pin parts then I use it in the ultrasonic in my shop I use for car parts. You wanna see some NASTY simple green formula?

#143 7 years ago

Haha yeah I bet that gets nasty quick. So do you let yours heat up from ambient to sixty when you start a batch or just start cleaning without it heated up? Seems like it would take hours to heat up

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Haha yeah I bet that gets nasty quick. So do you let yours heat up from ambient to sixty when you start a batch or just start cleaning without it heated up? Seems like it would take hours to heat up

If I am in the middle of a shop out or restore I don't turn off the heat. I just leave it on until every piece I need to clean in it is done.

In my shop I don't use it that often, so if I know a job is coming up that I want to use it on I will turn it on the day before.

#145 7 years ago

More parts in -- most hardware, coil wrappers, new car / crane plastic, new legs. New fridge ramp and decal, chrome lockdown and rails, few other bits and pieces coming still. Love getting deliveries! More work on Friday.

IMG_2452 (resized).JPGIMG_2452 (resized).JPG

IMG_2453 (resized).JPGIMG_2453 (resized).JPG

#146 7 years ago

Where did you source the new plastics?

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from atothesquiz:

Where did you source the new plastics?

The car plastic is from pps, although others have it as well if you search by part# on google. Ramps available from Australia. Plastics themselves, I've seen individual ones, I'd have to dig around again.. I went to almost every pinball site and just searched jy parts. But I had all the plastics already, other than needing a new wrecker one.

#148 7 years ago

Even though JY isn't one of my favorites, I am looking forward to playing this game once you are done with it. Especially since I know the history.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Even though JY isn't one of my favorites, I am looking forward to playing this game once you are done with it. Especially since I know the history.

For sure!! It might not be a long-term keeper for me given space considerations, but after all the work I think it will stay at least a year or two until I get that itch to switch something up

#150 7 years ago

More parts in -- getting close I think.. few random things left

IMG_2479 (resized).JPGIMG_2479 (resized).JPG

IMG_2485 (resized).JPGIMG_2485 (resized).JPG

IMG_2486 (resized).JPGIMG_2486 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junkyard-early-proto-playfield-swap-and-full-restoration/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.