Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 342 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2FCB9BF9-F001-451D-BBC6-9C3C966BFA66 (resized).jpeg
C16A2329-BA74-48BA-84C8-626F929F9EB2 (resized).jpeg
74D30712-DBFE-4B4F-A2CE-8F1FB4B9F725 (resized).jpeg
647AA19A-1DB7-42E4-9B3D-ADAC7C7CD1F7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4927 (resized).JPG
IMG_4926 (resized).JPG
IMG_4925 (resized).JPG
IMG_4924 (resized).JPG
IMG_4923 (resized).JPG
IMG_4921 (resized).JPG
IMG_4916 (resized).JPG
IMG_4913 (resized).JPG
IMG_4904 (resized).JPG
IMG_4876 (resized).JPG
IMG_4899 (resized).JPG
IMG_4875 (resized).JPG

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 2 years ago

Just wrapped up my last project on Escape of the Lost world and am ready to jump into a new one. I've typically done posts after a project is complete, but this will be my first somewhat realtime job.

I recently did a trade and ended up with a JY, complete with blank NOS playfield, as well as a partially populated JY playfield with production harness and other parts. The playfield currently on the game is a very early dev/proto, with several decals that were stickers, and lots of holes in the back right corner where they were trying out different mechs (looks like it originally had pops?). I will try and document some of this here as I go along, although the previous owner has these pictures up on IPDB as well if you search for Junk Yard.

Full disclosure -- I've shopped games and done some restoration work but never done a full playfield swap so this will be a bit of learning as I go along. I'm looking forward to it!

#2 2 years ago

Here's JY, from garage down to my basement game room. running good.. ready to start tearing it apart.

IMG_1581 (resized).JPG

IMG_1582 (resized).JPG

IMG_1583 (resized).JPG

IMG_1589 (resized).JPG

#3 2 years ago

First step was to build a rotesserie. I followed skypilots guide. It turned out pretty good I thought.. great design!

IMG_1901 (resized).JPG

IMG_1904 (resized).JPG

IMG_1905 (resized).JPG

IMG_1913 (resized).JPG

IMG_1949 (resized).JPG

IMG_1965 (resized).JPG

IMG_1966 (resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago

Rotesserie complete.. time to decide what to do next.. I need to strip the other playfield I have, wax the NOS one, and look at other parts I need to order. At some point I need to strip the proto PF as well.. just not sure what order to start things quite yet.

IMG_1974 (resized).JPG

#5 2 years ago

New Decals for the cab from retro refurb:

IMG_1918 (resized).JPG

#6 2 years ago

Got a package from ministry of pinball -- only one I've had arrive registered mail.. requiring a post office trip. Question -- anyone have advice for removing the middle apron decal? It needs replacing.. but I don't want to damage anything else as the rest is ok.

IMG_1980 (resized).JPG

IMG_1981 (resized).JPG

IMG_1982 (resized).JPG

#7 2 years ago

Ordered a lot of new parts, most of which have arrived now:

IMG_1983 (resized).JPG

IMG_1984 (resized).JPG

IMG_1985 (resized).JPG

#8 2 years ago

Box of nos/ used parts that came with jy:

IMG_1986 (resized).JPG

#9 2 years ago

I believe the original aprons weren't decals - they were screen printed. You'll have to strip and powdercoat the apron, then put the new decals on.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I believe the original aprons weren't decals - they were screen printed. You'll have to strip and powdercoat the apron, then put the new decals on.

Yeah I looked closer and seems you're right. I think the gunk on mine might clean off with good off it naphtha though and negate the need to redecal hopefully. Apron in good condition otherwise.

#11 2 years ago

Thought about documenting this and the need for lots of pictures. I have previously been using my phone and it's a annoying to try and zoom in on pictures for reassembly.

Decided to pull the trigger on a tablet, went with the mini to still be light weight but with a much bigger screen than the phone.

Need to pick up paint pens and I think I can get started stripping the production harness off.

IMG_2012 (resized).JPG

#12 2 years ago

Apparently you should label with paint pens on tape if running the harness thru an ultra sonic cleaner or dishwasher.. so I picked up a few today. Should get the pf locked down this weekend and hopefully start some disassembly

IMG_2021 (resized).JPG

#13 2 years ago

What do you plan on doing about the decals on the playfield? My early pm has at least one (text under matra). I didn't realize it till after I pulled the mylar.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah I looked closer and seems you're right. I think the gunk on mine might clean off with good off it naphtha though and negate the need to redecal hopefully. Apron in good condition otherwise.

I saw someone in another thread have luck with WD-40 when naptha/goo gone/alcohol weren't effective.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I saw someone in another thread have luck with WD-40 when naptha/goo gone/alcohol weren't effective.

Ha forceflow I think we read the same thread just picked up some wd40 today, pretty sure my other can is lost in the garage.

Quoted from dung:

What do you plan on doing about the decals on the playfield? My early pm has at least one (text under matra). I didn't realize it till after I pulled the mylar.

Decals are staying -- I have a nos factory cleared pf to swap everything to. The one I'm about to strip was given to me for the harness and any parts needed, play field isn't mine though. The proto one in the game currently is being retired

dung did pulling the Mylar on your pm damage the decal? Curious what you did with it.. repair and re-cover with Mylar?

#16 2 years ago

Took some all-thread and got the bottom pf secured thru holes. Top is clamped to blocks and of wood.

IMG_0022 (resized).JPG
IMG_0024 (resized).JPG
IMG_0026 (resized).JPG

Ready to flip it and start cutting and labeling. Seems to sag a bit in the middle, thinking about reinforcing from the sides

#17 2 years ago

Got a shaker motor in as well - going to do some fiddling with it and see if I can't get it to go off on crane shots, and maybe pulse with each toilet bowl switch trigger

IMG_0003 (resized).JPG

#18 2 years ago

This also arrived.. I was advised to stick with a silk screen but I don't have one so I thought I'd try this out. Not too picky about something you never see. However -- major fail, I took it out of the tube and failed to note the staples poking thru that held the cap in place. Sssscratch!

Dammt!!!! Will deal with that later I guess
IMG_0001 (resized).JPG

#19 2 years ago

Think this thing has taken a lot of direct hits from balls from the vuk?!?

IMG_0027 (resized).JPG

#20 2 years ago

Hmm gonna have to match up some wires with the complete proto pf.. these were cut already.
IMG_0028 (resized).JPG

Harness not too dirty but it's for sure going in an ultra sonic bath
IMG_0029 (resized).JPG

#21 2 years ago

Ok blue tape is out on some of this, photo labels in.

IMG_0057 (resized).JPG

#22 2 years ago

Just took a look under the proto pf- red proto lamp boards. Kinda cool, may throw these on the nos pf.. any reason not to?

IMG_0060 (resized).JPG

Cab is pretty damn clean for a game this old.
IMG_0064 (resized).JPG

Magnet. Wish I knew what the idea was going to be behind this.. I think it would be cool to use the crane action as a trigger to another micro controller to utilize the magnet. Of course new pf won't have magnet so moot point.

IMG_0063 (resized).JPG

Check out the difference in the subways.. I will be reusing the clean one lol. Going to be using other parts from both pfs though.. interesting to see the different conditions of parts.. you'd think one machine would have all better condition parts but that's not the case

IMG_0061 (resized).JPG
IMG_0062 (resized).JPG

#23 2 years ago

Cool project! Love the game.

As for the magnet, I believe the only point of that was to stabilize the wrecking ball.

I would use the red lamp boards, why not.

#24 2 years ago

Slow going.. working across left side. Lots of labeled pictures.

IMG_0083 (resized).JPG

The vuk connectors to the Optos that feeds the refridge are different on the proto harness .. will have to sort that out later

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cool project! Love the game.
As for the magnet, I believe the only point of that was to stabilize the wrecking ball.
I would use the red lamp boards, why not.

Yeah, too bad they never did the code. Wasn't sure if the proto lamp boards are worse an any way than production ones in terms of reliability or durability..

#26 2 years ago

Screw organization and example of picture labeling

IMG_0070 (resized).JPG

IMG_0090 (resized).JPG

IMG_0076 (resized).JPG

#27 2 years ago

Left side complete. Done for today.

IMG_0099 (resized).JPG

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Hmm gonna have to match up some wires with the complete proto pf.. these were cut already.

Those larger AWG wires are flipper wires there.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Just took a look under the proto pf- red proto lamp boards. Kinda cool, may throw these on the nos pf.. any reason not to?
Magnet. Wish I knew what the idea was going to be behind this.. I think it would be cool to use the crane action as a trigger to another micro controller to utilize the magnet. Of course new pf won't have magnet so moot point.

The magnet was planned to 'throw' the crane, to make it more difficult in hitting Jackpots, etc. It was later determined that the crane, just resting there, was difficult enough.

For the red board, entirely up to you. It's possible that if boards are different configurations, you won't be able to, but if they match, then sure. I would NOT throw out the boards you remove, though, as some lights may have moved switch matrix positions, and using the original boards may cause the lamps to revert back to older positions. (Exactly the case with the difference in wiring with the VUK kicker plug.) I would be sure to use the production wire harness, and before using the red boards, check them.

#29 2 years ago

Success - harness removed !

IMG_2032 (resized).JPG

IMG_2034 (resized).JPG

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Those larger AWG wires are flipper wires there.

The magnet was planned to 'throw' the crane, to make it more difficult in hitting Jackpots, etc. It was later determined that the crane, just resting there, was difficult enough.
For the red board, entirely up to you. It's possible that if boards are different configurations, you won't be able to, but if they match, then sure. I would NOT throw out the boards you remove, though, as some lights may have moved switch matrix positions, and using the original boards may cause the lamps to revert back to older positions. (Exactly the case with the difference in wiring with the VUK kicker plug.) I would be sure to use the production wire harness, and before using the red boards, check them.

Thanks coyote !! Matched up the flipper and eos wires, that's interesting about the crane. Probably a good choice, would be interesting to have seen it in action though. Red boards seem to match up but I'll find out for sure later once I get the proto pf stripped.

#31 2 years ago

Pile o lamp boards.
IMG_0126 (resized).JPG
Looked clean from the back but fronts could use a wash! Going in a bin for the ultra sonic cleaner.
IMG_0127 (resized).JPG

#32 2 years ago

Just got a junk yard form a fellow pinside. I'm planning on a tear down and thorough cleaning. I'll be following this thread so try to post daily hope you don't mind if I shoot you a pm or two if I have questions as I'll be doing something similar very soon. Well written posts, and keep them coming Mbecker!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Buju:

Just got a junk yard form a fellow pinside. I'm planning on a tear down and thorough cleaning. I'll be following this thread so try to post daily hope you don't mind if I shoot you a pm or two if I have questions as I'll be doing something similar very soon. Well written posts, and keep them coming Mbecker!

Thanks buju - I prob won't be working on it every day but will try to keep the posts coming PM's are great, and if you need any photos let me know as I took a ton, many of them lebeled.

#34 2 years ago

So.. the dog loop-de-do mech, seems to be a broken weld on both of mine.. unless there was never a cross piece on these. Can anyone confirm?

IMG_2058 (resized).JPG

IMG_2059 (resized).JPG

#35 2 years ago

Well this plunger has seen some wet days!
IMG_2068 (resized).JPG

Bottom almost clear

IMG_0157 (resized).JPG

And done. Time to flip to pull last topside pieces

#36 2 years ago

This dog - err- thing is TOAST!

IMG_0167 (resized).JPG

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

So.. the dog loop-de-do mech, seems to be a broken weld on both of mine.. unless there was never a cross piece on these. Can anyone confirm?

That is normal , if it had a cross brace it would hit the playfield when it pivots upward.

image.jpg
image.jpg

#38 2 years ago

Hmmm but if you look at Marco new ones have that.. seems like it's supposed to be there but is a design flaw due to hitting the pf as you say. Guess it works fine without it

#39 2 years ago

Few final guides on the top.

IMG_0161 (resized).JPG

And we're done. Gonna take the rails off tomorrow and swap to nos to straighten 'er up.

IMG_0169 (resized).JPG

Here's the nos one thrown up on the table.. looks nice, can't wait to start assembling but I've got another one to strip first
IMG_0170 (resized).JPG

#40 2 years ago

Who says ghosting is only on new stern playfields??

IMG_0173 (resized).JPG

IMG_0174 (resized).JPG

#41 2 years ago

Everything sorted into bins. Done for today. Avoiding the next step cause it means I won't get to play jy for a good while.

IMG_0177 (resized).JPG

IMG_0178 (resized).JPG

IMG_0179 (resized).JPG

IMG_0180 (resized).JPG

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Everything sorted into bins. Done for today. Avoiding the next step cause it means I won't get to play jy for a good while.

Honestly, that was the hardest part for me on my TZ, too. To fill in the gaps, I installed VP on my laptop so I could play *a* TZ when mine was down.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly, that was the hardest part for me on my TZ, too. To fill in the gaps, I installed VP on my laptop so I could play *a* TZ when mine was down.

Haha I like that -- although if I did that then I'd just be playing pinball instead of working on the restore still got 3 here that can keep me occupied lol

#44 2 years ago

30l Ultrasonic ordered.. dang that's cash I didn't want to drop but I'm told it's worth it! Had to do something though cause now I've got parts that need some cleaning

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

30l Ultrasonic ordered.. dang that's cash I didn't want to drop but I'm told it's worth it! Had to do something though cause now I've got parts that need some cleaning

Wow. Nice purchase! I did everything in my small Harbor Freight cleaner. That thing paid itself off five times over.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Wow. Nice purchase! I did everything in my small Harbor Freight cleaner. That thing paid itself off five times over.

What size was the hb one? Harness in it too? I have no idea if 30l is too big or I could have gotten away with 22 or 15.. I def. want the harness in it though and maybe it will fit some larger items which could be nice

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

What size was the hb one? Harness in it too? I have no idea if 30l is too big or I could have gotten away with 22 or 15.. I def. want the harness in it though and maybe it will fit some larger items which could be nice

Mine is like, the 5l size, or smaller. I did the wiring harness, but it's so small that only sections at a time.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Mine is like, the 5l size, or smaller. I did the wiring harness, but it's so small that only sections at a time.

Haha ok well I guess 30 will come in handy then!

#49 2 years ago

I have to ask, why take a unique prototype game and make it just an ordinary junkyard? Why not restore it as a prototype and somehow figure out how to get it to work? Seems like a waste to me. Or, did I miss something.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have to ask, why take a unique prototype game and make it just an ordinary junkyard? Why not restore it as a prototype and somehow figure out how to get it to work? Seems like a waste to me. Or, did I miss something.

It works fine -- but playing the crap out of the play field will destroy it and history with it. I am saving the Playfield from further wear/destruction. Honestly it's only the Playfield that is different from any other junk yard, but play wise it's all the same. Nothing special you would enjoy playing on it that you wouldn't enjoy on a nos one.

i don't know that you can really restore a prototype pf without destroying some of its uniqueness in the first place .. But regardless I have no reason not to swap to the nos one, it's much nicer and the proto is preserved.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside