Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by kdunbar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I think my ROMS are outdated. I am currently running 1.1. Can someone please tell me the most updated ROM available? Also, I do not have a EPROM programmer. Could I offer to pay someone to burn me an update? thanks for any assistance.

#2 7 years ago

IPDB shows 1.2 is the latest.

John Wart jr, seems to be the resident ROM guru and keeper of the code. He sells them on Ebay and probably through his pinside account. 'johnwartjr' here on pinside.

I bought a few from him on Ebay and the service was 1st rate.

#3 7 years ago

Yep..I see it on EBay...thanks!

#4 7 years ago

When you change them, is it just a matter of popping out the old and putting the new one in?

#5 7 years ago

Yes, with power off.

Use a regular screwdriver alternating under the ends to carefully pry out the old ROM. Keep track of which end the notch points to. Carefully install the new ROM. Take care not to bend any pins the wrong way.

#6 7 years ago

Great..thanks for the info!

#8 7 years ago

Love John Wart's service! The best.

Just a comment . . . I just put in the latest game ROM and I still can't see the difference in game play. I'm sure there are things in that ROM though that make the game run smoother. Just wanted you to not expect to see anything. A lot of times when you upgrade you immediately see and hear new things. Even if you can't see a difference in the ROM for Junk Yard, it is still a good feeling to know you have the latest upgrade. Somewhere along the line it just HAS to help the pin!

#9 7 years ago

It's sometimes difficult to know whether an upgrade will 'improve' the game or not.

Sometimes, it's a huge improvement, like going from a really early TZ ROM to the 9.4H home ROM, or an early White Water revision to LH6.

Sometimes, the manufacturers released code upgrades to fix bugs in part of the ROM that the everyday player would never see - even more in home use. Perhaps an upgrade was released to support another coinage - or to fix spelling, or something similar like that.

Many newer games have documentation that explains what changed from one version to the next. The information, when available, is on the manufacturer's website. The Bally/WMS info that is available is here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms.html

Junkyard, specifically, is here:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/roms/junkyard.html

From 1.1 to 1.2, you get the following changes:

1. German pricing updated.
2. Escape from DOG will score correctly.

So, the German pricing probably doesn't effect 99.44% of the JY users around the world, and the scoring on 'Escape from DOG' probably isn't a deal breaker.

There are also people who just enjoy playing the games, and don't care.

Anytime anyone has questions about ROMS, I'm glad to help if I can.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for all the I do John...much appreciated.

#11 7 years ago

Correction..all the info...

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Love John Wart's service! The best.
Just a comment . . . I just put in the latest game ROM and I still can't see the difference in game play. I'm sure there are things in that ROM though that make the game run smoother. Just wanted you to not expect to see anything. A lot of times when you upgrade you immediately see and hear new things. Even if you can't see a difference in the ROM for Junk Yard, it is still a good feeling to know you have the latest upgrade. Somewhere along the line it just HAS to help the pin!

lol..agreed!

#13 7 years ago

Great explanation John! I KNEW there was SOME reason I needed that upgrade. Now, I know the dog is scoring correctly. You made it all worthwhile with that post. Nice info!!!
Mike

9 months later
#14 6 years ago

Thanks for the info on this. I don't really see a big change between V1.0 and V1.2. I think I rock 1.0 for awhile.

6 years later
#15 7 months ago

Hi, I am running 1.1 on my JY. I am nearly sure that I have been on tournaments where JY appeared, that hade a sticker with “only one ‘D O G’ a ball”. Is this an adjustment in 1.2?
Can’t find it in my version, and I rather play the pin than have three video mods a ball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 37.50
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
4,100 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Sterling Heights, MI

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside