• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Cabaret-080-Work (resized).jpg
46b9b67ad68448f8cc348c96b368baef09d601fc.pdf (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

New to Pinside! I purchased a really rough Hot Shot a couple months ago... just getting to it. The main reason I got it was the playfield is pristine! The cabinet is only roughly rectangular shape, held together with silicone, tape and sheer determination! After removing the light box and cabinet relay boards, evidence of hacking is rearing its ugly head. After much frustration and staring at wiring diagrams, I have found the cabinet board IS FROM A DIFFERENT MACHINE! My question is did gottlieb wire the cabinet relays and score motor relatively the same in regards to wire colors, or is each machine unique? Should I be able to verify most of the wires and adjust just a few, or am I looking at re-wiring the whole thing? BONUS... the wires in the light box have all faded to white! I will have to trace each wire in the light box to figure out the Jones plugs. Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from airmech:

BONUS... the wires in the light box have all faded to white! I will have to trace each wire in the light box to figure out the Jones plugs.

That sucks,good luck! Big shot is close to hot shot. Keep us updated.
-Mike

46b9b67ad68448f8cc348c96b368baef09d601fc.pdf (resized).jpg46b9b67ad68448f8cc348c96b368baef09d601fc.pdf (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have the schematic for Hot Shot. The problem is... I don't know what machine the cabinet board (main board with transformer) is from. If I could determine that, I might be able to figure things out by comparing the 2 schematics and seeing what they have in common.

#4 6 years ago

You will have a tough road to hoe on this one. Even if it was a big shot it would be difficult to convert to the two player mode.

I've never created a relay board from scratch but know one person who has. He usually finds an exact example to go by.

#5 6 years ago

I was afraid of that. Even though I don't have much money into it, I hate the thought of sending another pin to its grave by parting it out. I will gather some photos and schematic snip-its later today... perhaps someone can help me identify the board... then I can order a schematic at least from the Pinball Resource.

#6 6 years ago

Hi airmech +
I recommend to buy You some pins "fully running" or "need a bit of work" --- store away Your "Hot Shot" and look around for another Hot Shot or for an Hot Shot Cabinet Board - then put together parts to make an good pin. Or maybe You sell Your playfield to somebody who needs a good playfield.

Do not get angry --- I believe that chances are less than 1% that You will succeed in making an Cabinet board by rewiring.
(((Look at my JPG --- a fire in the Backbox of a Williams Cabaret - somebody "tried" to fix --- bundled all "grey looking" wires - bundled all "green looking wires" etc. --- a mess --- I must take apart everything and rewire --- I make very little progress, OK - mostly because I seldom feel like working on it)))
Greetings Rolf

0Cabaret-080-Work (resized).jpg0Cabaret-080-Work (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Yeah, look for another "Hot Shot" or "Big Shot" with a roached playfield, but otherwise decent.

#8 6 years ago

I'd post here and on Mr. Pinball looking for a Hot Shot main relay board. You might want to look close at the head relay board. I'd hate to think that is what you need and not the main relay board.

But ask around. You never know what you will find. I have head and main relay boards for Gottlieb 2001 that could be salvaged if someone needed them. I've held off parting them for about 10 years now. It will get to the point one day that I need to reclaim the real estate.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. I have already had offers to buy the machine for parts, but I am with Mike... I don't want to condemn it just yet... I will hold on to it for now. I am going to go ahead and tinker with it and see what I can do... I do like a challenge! If the time comes I don't or can't fix it... the parts will soon be worth more than the total... have you seen what a complete chime box goes for these days?

#10 6 years ago

The temptation to part it out is appealing. Most games are parted due to the cabinet condition or lack of a replacement backglass coupled with a bad playfield. You have a good playfield, but a trashed cabinet and the wrong motor board. How's the backglass?
From what you have described, I say again what I said above; try to find either version with a trashed playfield, and install your playfield in it.

2 weeks later
#11 6 years ago

Hey guys... I had a couple days off... got the game fully working!!!! I just need to order a couple new springs and start on the cosmetics... I am tenacious!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junker-gottlieb-hot-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.