• Latest reply 4 years ago by PinballManiac40
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170503_112555 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a very nice Junk Yard (WPC 95). The game will not keep track of time while the game is turned off. Once turned on, it starts keeping time from where it left off. All high scores and settings are saved. The MPU has not been modified in any way and has no alkaline damage. The board is pristine.
Am I missing a setting? Weak batteries?
My future plans include replacing the battery pack with a lithium button cell upgrade.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the MPU? Are you sure it doesn't have a NVRAM installed?

Best to test each battery in the holder with your meter where it is soldered to the board. So you should have 1.5 v at each pair of battery leads.

#3 5 years ago

Definitely not an Nvram
Will check battery voltages.

20170503_112555 (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

Probably would want to press down on the U9 ASIC chip too.

#5 5 years ago

Batteries all check in at 1.4-1.5 volts each.

4 months later
#6 4 years ago

i have the same issue with my JY.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Stripes:

i have the same issue with my JY.

I learned the issue was with a bad connection on the ASIC chip. I would advise not messing with it though, you can easily damage the chip. Just try preasing on it gently to be sure it's seated.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I learned the issue was with a bad connection on the ASIC chip. I would advise not messing with it though, you can easily damage the chip. Just try preasing on it gently to be sure it's seated.

It is best to remove the board and lay it on a flat surface and press down on the ASIC so the board does not flex and cause damage that will be much harder to troubleshoot.

#9 4 years ago

If you have no plans to install NVRAM, it is best to move to Lithium batteries since they rarely leak and last up to 10 years. I have ran into too many problems with Alkaline batteries leaking even before the expiration date.

These original MPU boards are getting much harder to find.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
$ 37.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!