6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Buzz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stripes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Somehow, after installing new, updated sound roms, I installed S2 backwards. Yes, I'm an idiot. I orientated the chip and dropped it and picked it back up reversed. On startup, no sound and I unplugged the machine after about 10 seconds. The S2 was very hot, I assume I fried it. I replaced the updated sound chips I likely just fried with the prior working originals. Now I have no sound and a sound board interface issue error and no led light lit on the AV board. Fuses are good. Suggestions as what to repair? Any chance that S2 is still good? Would it fry all of the sound chips? The game has no other errors or play issues but plays soundless. I found no open fuses on any boards.
I reseated the cables, double checked to ensure the OEM sound roms had all their legs in and were in the proper slot and order.

I know I'm being punished by the pinball gods for updating sound chips that I likely couldn't tell the difference with the new ones anyway. But i couldn't help myself. Now I need help. The AV board shows no signs of burns or charring. Anyone else made this mistake?

#3 6 years ago

Yes, I pulled the plug and grabbed the rom only to find it very hot. I removed it, cooled it down, and put it in correctly, and have no sound. So I removed all 4 sound roms, replaced them with the prior working ones, and I have the error "sound board interface error".

#4 6 years ago

Can anyone tell me what gets fried if you put S2 sound rom in backwards? I notice R44 on the board is very warm while others are not. Thats a 1.8 ohm 5 watt vertical resister. Should it be hot to the touch?

The LED 501 is not lit on the audio visual board, what do I test to troubleshoot it?

#6 6 years ago

Ok, the Junk Yard is all repaired and working now. After I installed the original sound roms back in the AV board, I failed once again to notice all of the bottom legs on one chip were outside the socket. I know, geez. I'm having my glasses checked, I must need a new script for them.

Thanks to all who tried to help me with this. It was really appreciated. Hopefully this post will help another one day and I sure am glad I didn't have to pony up for the $2995 for a AV board!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Stripes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-sound-issue-it-would-say-im-an-idiot-if-it-could?tu=Stripes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.